• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Deadman

Shocking result in the ipl team league EG vs MVP

Not really, 5-0 to mvp monster, beating thorzain, idra, puma, jyp and huk.

Funny that eg didnt mention this match was going on, i wonder why?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Shocking result in the ipl team league EG vs MVP

Not really, 5-0 to mvp monster, beating thorzain, idra, puma, jyp and huk.

Funny that eg didnt mention this match was going on, i wonder why?

It almost become spoilers when teams mention or dont mention stuff like that :p

I've just watched the redbull battlegrounds archives from quarterfinals and onwards and the turnouts of the audience was amazing. Much larger than MLG and I assume GSL would be bigger. So I have a question.

As a newbie, how viable would it for me to aim towards trying to compete at a competitive level? I have little experience with RTS games as a whole, but by watching the videos I feel like I already have some sort of a direction that I would want to be heading.

I do however have quite a bit of experience playing FPS games at tournament level (Halo 3, placed highly at many Scottish events making me one of the top 5 players in Scotland. Made mainstage at an EU FFA, and placed mid-level at 4vs4, making me roughly within the top 30 in EU rankings) which i feel gives me experience in understanding a game and tackling it's learning curve very effeciently, and not crumbling under any pressure or losing sight of my direction due to tilt.

The question really being, in over a years time from now will the SC2 competitive community still be going as strongly as it is now, would that time I invest in aiming to being able to compete be for nothing?

Also, what are the main EU and USA SC2 communities should I spend my time around?

Thanks x

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I've just watched the redbull battlegrounds archives from quarterfinals and onwards and the turnouts of the audience was amazing. Much larger than MLG and I assume GSL would be bigger. So I have a question.

As a newbie, how viable would it for me to aim towards trying to compete at a competitive level? I have little experience with RTS games as a whole, but by watching the videos I feel like I already have some sort of a direction that I would want to be heading.

This I think would be the biggest factor in stopping you from going Pro so to speak, you can definitely reach a competitive masters/grandmasters level with no previous RTS experience but you won't be winning tournaments unless you dedicate your life to this game.

I do however have quite a bit of experience playing FPS games at tournament level (Halo 3, placed highly at many Scottish events making me one of the top 5 players in Scotland. Made mainstage at an EU FFA, and placed mid-level at 4vs4, making me roughly within the top 30 in EU rankings) which i feel gives me experience in understanding a game and tackling it's learning curve very effeciently, and not crumbling under any pressure or losing sight of my direction due to tilt.

IIRC FPS rely most on reaction speeds and coordination. Starcraft is a game of pure repetitive mechanics and decision making with very limited information. I personally don't believe the skills (besides the pressure and nerves) would transfer very well.

The question really being, in over a years time from now will the SC2 competitive community still be going as strongly as it is now, would that time I invest in aiming to being able to compete be for nothing?

Starcraft: Brood War came out in November 1998 and was only recently killed off, so I don't think Starcraft is going anywhere soon. I just want you to realize though, if you plan to make money from e-sports, you're already doomed to fail. You need ridiculous amounts of passion and dedication to stand a chance even in the foreign scene.

Also, what are the main EU and USA SC2 communities should I spend my time around?

Thanks x

TeamLiquid.net I guess. Learn strategies, start a stream and try to get popular like that (though basically everyone is doing it so you're in for some competition.)

Hope that helps.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I think Tashi hit Gold for a brief spell but he stopped playing I think.
A good chunk of us are just waiting for HoTS to come out before we start the whole ladder grind again. Perhaps I'll be able to hold off a 111 for once with the mothership god cannon.

This I think would be the biggest factor in stopping you from going Pro so to speak, you can definitely reach a competitive masters/grandmasters level with no previous RTS experience but you won't be winning tournaments unless you dedicate your life to this game.

I guess we'll see if I have that capability in due time

IIRC FPS rely most on reaction speeds and coordination. Starcraft is a game of pure repetitive mechanics and decision making with very limited information. I personally don't believe the skills (besides the pressure and nerves) would transfer very well.

I don't mean the direct skills, I was talking more in the terms of going from being completely clueless, tackling that learning curve and going to a competitive level. The patience and using the resources available to reach that goal are also important skills, thos are the ones I believe I can transfer over. Basically, being able to adapt

Starcraft: Brood War came out in November 1998 and was only recently killed off, so I don't think Starcraft is going anywhere soon. I just want you to realize though, if you plan to make money from e-sports, you're already doomed to fail. You need ridiculous amounts of passion and dedication to stand a chance even in the foreign scene.

That's basically what I needed to know, thanks. My main priority has nothing to do with money though. It's all about competition. If MLG release a Halo 4 circuit, it would probably be easier to go back to my roots, but SC2 has basically such a bigger level of competition and that's what I'm looking for. I basically want to spend most of my time practising to see how good I can be and then aim for ladders and tournaments and see how far I can go, initially. Then I'll probably decide whether or not I want to go the extra distance if it's something I can do. It's all about the competition though, not money

TeamLiquid.net I guess. Learn strategies, start a stream and try to get popular like that (though basically everyone is doing it so you're in for some competition.)

I have no plans on being popular really, my ultimate goal is just to do well at tournaments when the time comes.

Hope that helps.

I haven't quite made my decision yet, as to whether or not I'll want to start that venture, but yeah that helped, thanks a lot. How many starcraft leagues and tournaments are there at the minute?

zargle

I haven't quite made my decision yet, as to whether or not I'll want to start that venture, but yeah that helped, thanks a lot. How many starcraft leagues and tournaments are there at the minute?

Big ones? A couple, like GSL, MLG, IPL.

However there are a lot of smaller ones that go on. If you check the list of streams on TeamLiquid during the day you can see what Im talking about.

Something that might interest you is a site like playhem.com, where they have a fair amount of small daily tournaments for various levels of skill.

Dont be hating on Euros! Dreamhack is big and starts next weekend ^^

Will it be streamed?

Yes, sorry. Was blanking on Eu tourneys outside of Homestory, which didnt seem feasible to fit into that group.

I'm from the EU, so that's my main target. Travelling to the USA afterwards is not out of my range though.

Big ones? A couple, like GSL, MLG, IPL.

However there are a lot of smaller ones that go on. If you check the list of streams on TeamLiquid during the day you can see what Im talking about.

Something that might interest you is a site like playhem.com, where they have a fair amount of small daily tournaments for various levels of skill.

Awesome, cheers dude.

Corran Horn

Will it be streamed?

Yep. European times, but it will be streamed.

This is the previous dreamhack when a swede won it in his home country.
HyMYj.jpg

Yep. European times, but it will be streamed.

This is the previous dreamhack when a swede won it in his home country.
HyMYj.jpg

Look at the turnout, amazing. The multitude of streamed events that are everywhere, this is the kind of competitive community I want to be a part of, and theres an event this weekend.

I'm so fucking pumped.

Pancakes

win 5 in a row: retire as a diamond.

I'm not sure I CAN win 5 games in a row, at least in my current form. Bronze,Silver are free wins, Gold players, I need to somewhat try against, Plat is 50/50, and I can beat diamond players very rarely.

Corran Horn

Look at the turnout, amazing. The multitude of streamed events that are everywhere, this is the kind of competitive community I want to be a part of, and theres an event this weekend.

I'm so fucking pumped.

Been some epic Starcraft tournaments

Watch this one from Brood War in korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aw-42JO3qk

Fucking full airplane hangar of people.

or something like this, again korea
20.jpg

bFVGt.jpg

profit

Silphonica, if you get the game and you need a practice partner (I'm silver, going for gold or higher next season), I'm from EU aswell, so send me a PM.

Corran Horn

Yeesh playing games after a long break is interesting.

First game a PvP in which I forget my cyber for a moment and its super late...lulz lose

2nd game I went FFE when I have never really practice that style before. Moved out against stephano type roach build and realize i have 0 sentries....lulz lose

3rd game, i became my boss toss and destroyed this terran with my 3-3-1 protoss chargelot/archon/storm army! Actually felt good because I prevented some drops ...lulz win

:p

Snowman

Yeesh playing games after a long break is interesting.

First game a PvP in which I forget my cyber for a moment and its super late...lulz lose

2nd game I went FFE when I have never really practice that style before. Moved out against stephano type roach build and realize i have 0 sentries....lulz lose

3rd game, i became my boss toss and destroyed this terran with my 3-3-1 protoss chargelot/archon/storm army! Actually felt good because I prevented some drops ...lulz win

:p

Haha, I'm really bad with this, I only have to stop playing for like a week before I start getting real rusty, just messing up basic builds, completely forgetting upgrades etc.

Keikaku

Tried playing as Zerg again and I'm obviously super rusty. Lost my placement match, got placed in Platinum. Lost my next 3 matches and won a ZvZ against a Silver league player which somehow magically bumped me up higher than my initial placement in my league. Called it a successful night and logged off :p

V_Arnold

Hey everyone!

I have been trying to get back to at least spectating (GSL Code S at least :p), but I am really interested, have there been any public matches shown by pro SC:BW players like Flash, or is that time still far far away? And if yes, can anyone link me some of those for me? (not the replays, but some commentated stuff :D)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hey everyone!

I have been trying to get back to at least spectating (GSL Code S at least :p), but I am really interested, have there been any public matches shown by pro SC:BW players like Flash, or is that time still far far away? And if yes, can anyone link me some of those for me? (not the replays, but some commentated stuff :D)

all the proleague games are on youtube in korean or english casted through pokebunny/sayles stream archive.

ultron87

Hey everyone!

A bunch of the KESPA players played in an exhibition bracket at MLG this last weekend. VODs are here: http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/17-spring-championship#1424

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
seeded into ro256 in TSL

first opponent:
winner of Bly vs somezergguy

*glance over at TLPD*

1. Stephano
2. Nerchio
3. Sen
4. Bly
5. Happy

Fuck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DREAAAAAAAAAAMHACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

The top placing north american at an american lan is 28th...

I was all about keeping the competition open to everyone and not prohibiting certain nationalities from playing just because you suck too much i.e. the TT1 "solution", but maybe MLG needs to do a couple of NA exclusive areans or something similar because the american scene is beyond pathetic giving that they have the biggest resources/money out of anyone by far .

Mairu

EvilGeniusesGenius?

ComplexityGenius?

I'm going to guess he's joining complexity since their other Korean pickups have been Terrans who haven't been doing well recently so maybe they've decided to pick up a Protoss and their previous arrangement with MVP means they probably still have a good relationship with the MVP coach to make these kinds of deals

profit

People really do not want me to play this game.... Every time I play a match, someone walks into the room to talk, calls me on the phone, someone is at the door. Lose streak cause I just can not focus -_-

Top Bottom