• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man it's kind of weird not having any tournaments to care about (I didn't watch any of the Blizz Cup, just looked at the results lol). Feels good knowing the pros are somewhere practicing as I type this. Can't wait for next year
Practice....pfft all the pros are too busy playing other games like incontrol.

Trickster

isn't the points in the bonus pool supposed to increase at a set rate? I haven't played a match in 3 days and my bonus pool is at 0.

I don't really care, but I just thought the bonus pool worked in the way that the points in it increase at a linear rate.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
isn't the points in the bonus pool supposed to increase at a set rate? I haven't played a match in 3 days and my bonus pool is at 0.

I don't really care, but I just thought the bonus pool worked in the way that the points in it increase at a linear rate.

Bonus pool doesnt increase while the ladder is locked.

Oh, when did that happen? So I can't get to diamond this season like I had set my mind too :(

Actually i don't know exactly how the system works but i'm pretty sure the end of the season is probably the best time to get promoted. Just keep working on improving your MMR and you can get promomted with your placement match for next season.

Striek

Actually i don't know exactly how the system works but i'm pretty sure the end of the season is probably the best time to get promoted. Just keep working on improving your MMR and you can get promomted with your placement match for next season.

Yep the system will check if you're in line for a promotion/demotion during next seasons placement match. During a season it checks randomly.

Also you can check how many points you need to be at this season to pretty much be guarenteed to get a promotion next:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/39...ow_to_Earn_a_League_Promotion-11_15_2011#blog

Trickster

Yeah I know, that's how I went from Silver to Gold at the start of season 2. I had just set the goal for myself that I'd be diamond by the time this season was over, that's not gonna happen now. Though I did start playing pretty late this season :p

Yep the system will check if you're in line for a promotion/demotion during next seasons placement match. During a season it checks randomly.

Also you can check how many points you need to be at this season to pretty much be guarenteed to get a promotion next:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/39...ow_to_Earn_a_League_Promotion-11_15_2011#blog

damn I close according to that. I'm at 708 right now.

Striek

Played a game where a zerg raged out after calling me 'greedy' (like thats a great insult). I went Nexus first vs. him and crushed his baneling bust (I scouted it coming). I messaged him after the match and said how is it greedy if I can hold your attack. His reply?

Your lucky I didn't go roaches.

Lol.

damn I close according to that. I'm at 708 right now.

EU? 770 means you win about 6 more games than you lose (assuming even matches). GL!

Played a game where a zerg raged out after calling me 'greedy' (like thats a great insult). I went Nexus first vs. him and crushed his baneling bust (I scouted it coming). I messaged him after the match and said how is it greedy if I can hold your attack. His reply?

Your lucky I didn't go roaches.

Lol and this is masters? That kinda makes me feel bad in a way :p.

Yesterday i faced a terran who did a marine maruader scv allin against me after i expanded. I cancelled the nexus and was able to hold it off (he eventually went home with a lot of his scvs). I got way ahead on economy after this and crushed him with zealots/sentry/HT once i got on 3 base. He then says to me 'i can't wait for HOTS so protoss finally get a massive nerf to chargelots and storm" then a few seconds later he says "good @#%@% luck with that".

After the match i asked him if he thought the fact that he failed an allin had something to do with his loss. He said i'm a scrub who relies on an OP race to win. When i said i was off racing and to check my history he put me straight on ignore.

Also i want to play some more practice games against you. The last ones were just me baneling rushing you lol. I want to see how your DT build works in action (so i can copy it) and i want to practice going carriers in PvP.

Or i could just go zerg so you don't crush my face quite so badly :p.

ksan

I have been stealing the strategies that have people used to beat me, and so far, despite being completely unoriginal, the results have been rather good. In terms of learning the game and getting some wins Bronze league at least.

I had to look up how to beat MMM as Protoss. That strategy gives me a headache.

I want to stress how important this is, and how smart you are to do this.
Unless you are sitting in the Slayers house or you are Stephano, most likely you will see the best results by stealing strategies and trying to perfect them.
When you are feeling comfortable try to look at pro replays/vods of people beating compositions you have problems with.
http://taketv.net/

korean qualies for the homestory cup starting now

\o/

Pretty impressive for the stream to have over 10K viewers just for an online qualifier that doesn't even really have any big name players right now.

Even the NASL struggles for that :p.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I need a break from this game... way too many games and frustration lately.

zoukka

i agree. my ZvP didn't improve when i was ignoring it for other more casual games.

After I uninstalled this game, I've been playing it from work from time to time and there's absolutely zero frustration left. Best decision ever. Even though my mechanics crumble because I don't play every day, I'm compensating it with cool decision making. I guess I look like Artosis with zero APM and no pride :b

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I feel you need to tackle the deeper reasons for frustration instead of just moving from one game to another.
Bleh.

Yoshichan

Self improvement is a hard road.

Yes but I truly do feel that I need at least a weeks break and it's not only because I'm frustrated but also because my right hand is killing me atm. My hand is seriously not meant for games that are longer than 20 minutes... at that point, I can barely move my fingers out of pain.

Yoshichan

you play terran though, it doesnt take 20 minutes for hellion expand into 2base marine tank allin.

Yeah I wish I would play zerg lately... too bad it feels as if I'm getting TvT 80 percent of my matches in dia/mas EU...

FoxSpirit

I have the feeling the game liikes to throw your wost matchup against you. Literally, you start loosing against a race and the game wants to know how far down it has to drag your MMR until you beat that matchup :-X

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I have the feeling the game liikes to throw your wost matchup against you. Literally, you start loosing against a race and the game wants to know how far down it has to drag your MMR until you beat that matchup :-X

You pony fans would know a thing or two about loosing up to another race.

AMIRITE

*runs*

Yoshichan

This definitely seems to be the case. I still can't believe that my best matchup (TvT) is now my worst. Fucking gimmicky, coin-flipping, I-hope-to-get-lucky-with-scans, bullshit-matchup.

Yoshichan

lol gold players and their logic

mbmonk

I want to stress how important this is, and how smart you are to do this.
Unless you are sitting in the Slayers house or you are Stephano, most likely you will see the best results by stealing strategies and trying to perfect them.

Thank you for posting this. As a beginner it helps to know explicitly the things you are doing correctly versus incorrectly. So thank you again.

When you are feeling comfortable try to look at pro replays/vods of people beating compositions you have problems with.

I never thought about this before, until your post, but back in the Broodwar days, as a beginner, I used to want to do the cool strategy that Day 9 would talk about on his podcast, or that I would see JeaDong do in a pro game. But of course I would get crushed because I didn't have the knowledge, understanding, and skill of those players that are requisites to pull off those strategies.

But when you are stealing strategies from other lower level players, those are strategies that you don't need great mechanics or micro to pull off in order to get a victory against other beginner players. So it gives you a strategy that as a beginner you can execute. Which is the exact opposite of my Day9/JeaDong days. Thank you one last time, I will follow your advice.

Yoshichan

Damn, when did Panda become so deep ♥ ?

Keikaku

You are starting to sound a bit like ChronicleX.
No, he really is not. Until he calls someone a "shit eating jester" for disagreeing with him he's nothing at all like ChronicleX.

All Yoshi does is break his own stuff and oscillate rapidly between "life is awesome!" and "my life sucks so hard". He's hyperbolic in a bi-polar sort of way but hardly insulting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I was mainly referring to his league comment which was Chronicle's number one argument against anyone about anything.

we shouldn't be defining chronicle by one trait when he was an amalgamation of a wide variety of traits, we're in 'hitler was a vegetarian' territory if we do.

zoukka

we shouldn't be defining chronicle by one trait when he was an amalgamation of a wide variety of traits, we're in 'hitler was a vegetarian' territory if we do.

I appreciate your concern, but I just gotta tell you that I didn't mean it as a bad of an insult as it may have sounded. If you want to define Chronicle and people like him, it would come down to him blaming everything possible except himself for his losses and crazy statements. I guess Yoshis little rant woke up bad memories in me :b

Yoshichan

No, he really is not. Until he calls someone a "shit eating jester" for disagreeing with him he's nothing at all like ChronicleX.

All Yoshi does is break his own stuff and oscillate rapidly between "life is awesome!" and "my life sucks so hard". He's hyperbolic in a bi-polar sort of way but hardly insulting.
I never remember ChronicleX insulting anyone... but then again, I never spoke to him that much.

edit: wait, where IS ChronicleX anyway?

zlatko

Banned
I never remember ChronicleX insulting anyone... but then again, I never spoke to him that much.

edit: wait, where IS ChronicleX anyway?

He got hit with the ban stick I believe.

Yoshi nut up and get into masters. Diamond league EU= Gold League NA.

trollface.jpg

Yoshichan

He got hit with the ban stick I believe.

Yoshi nut up and get into masters. Diamond league EU= Gold League NA.

trollface.jpg
Bolded part = Ooooooooh shiiiiiii --

But yeah, I don't play nearly enough ladder games to upgrade. If we don't count the last three days, I've played a total of ONE game this season. Last season? A total of TWO games (and lost both iirc).

Top Bottom