• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait a second here... I don't look at my keyboard when I type, not ever. But when I type with touch, I look at it...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not having to look down at the keyboard or hunting and pecking keys? I'm surprised that some people on GAF don't use touch typing.
I like looking down at my keyboard still.
I can type pretty well without looking at it, but I can type faster looking at it since I'm more a visual person I think.

Actually come to think about it I touch type if I'm doing something else, but if I'm just typing I look at it since I don't make mistakes and it goes faster for me. I like to concentrate on doing one thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so confused right now.

What exactly is touch typing?

Yoshichan

Look at your monitor when you type your post.
Can you type a response without looking down at your keyboard?
Yes.

Does this mean I'm touch typing?

V_Arnold

Look at your monitor when you type your post.
Can you type a response without looking down at your keyboard?

There are still people looking at their keyboards after years and years of computer usage? o_O

(I know, I know. Personally, I could look all day: all the letters are non-existent on the face of my 6+ year old keyboard. I could not even see if I wanted to :D)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes.

Yes.
There are still people looking at their keyboards after years and years of computer usage? o_O

(I know, I know. Personally, I could look all day: all the letters are non-existent on the face of my 6+ year old keyboard. I could not even see if I wanted to :D)
My typing is relatively poor. I do 85wpm if I'm trying, but a lot of it has to do with that I don't have to type fast for anything and I've never had a need to improve it.
I'm really fast at using computers and keyboard shortcuts and mouse precision and such though.
But one of the major advantages of touch-typing is that you can see as you type whether or not you've made mistakes, if you're looking at your keyboard you can't tell unless you look up and re-read what you wrote.
Yeah I actually don't know anymore. Maybe I've just had this thought about how I type for a long time and I've never bothered to think or test it for a long time.
I guess I'm like 50/50 on looking down and up (glancing) since it lets me catch any errors.
If I'm watching a video and typing I won't look down though. I think it's just me focusing on what I'm doing.

Striek

Actually come to think about it I touch type if I'm doing something else, but if I'm just typing I look at it since I don't make mistakes and it goes faster for me. I like to concentrate on doing one thing.

But one of the major advantages of touch-typing is that you can see as you type whether or not you've made mistakes, if you're looking at your keyboard you can't tell unless you look up and re-read what you wrote.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yes.

Generally touch typing from is usually keeping your hands on the asdf and jkl; keys and type without looking...but i mean it could work for any type of typing without looking at the keyboard. I rarely type like a robot that typing classes wanted me to but I cant type fast without looking.

jersoc

I'm so confused right now.

What exactly is touch typing?

i too was confused. i've never heard of touch typing being referred as that as well. that's just called typing when you use homerow.

mind blown, this is legit. just checked wikipedia. i've been lied to for almost 2 decades.

edit:clarify.

GSL Arena of Legends: King of Kong

Players
StarTale_Hopetorture (T)
MarineKing_Prime (T)
StarTale_July (Z)
oGs_InCa (P)
IM_LosirA (Z)
oGs_TOP (T)
FXO_Leenock (Z)
MVP_DongRaeGu (Z)

Garbage prize pool, so expect a lot of cheesing, trolling and a general lack of a fuck by the players, but the concept is hilarious.

The map pool is perhaps a preview of what's to come in code S season 1 2012
- GSL Dual Sight

- GSL Antiga Shipyard

- GSL Bel`Shir Beach

- Daybreak

- ESV Cloud Kingdom

- Metropolis

- Entombed Valley

hamchan

Lol, that's an awesome idea for AOL. I see DRG winning it but MKP must have the special event winning powers if he's the true successor to Yellow.

Paz

So I didn't play for a few seasons, played for fun over the holidays and went 4-6... got promoted to grand master.

Can't help but laugh :p

Yoshichan

So I didn't play for a few seasons, played for fun over the holidays and went 4-6... got promoted to grand master.

wat

Paz

Well yeah it's on SEA.

To be fair though, the last time I laddered on NA was because I needed my NA account in a good league for the Neogaf tournament, and I got to masters by 4 gating 20 games in a row. So I dunno how different the competition is around there :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well, lets put it this way; SEA only has 800 masters/GM players.

really, it should just be folded into other regions by now.

Yoshichan

Seems like such a weak reason :/
Nah, Evilore made it clear that the reason he took away the :lol smiley was because some people abused it (some people responded whole posts with only :lol-smileys). Hugo spammed it.

Ty4on

I'm not the fastest typer in the world, but my computer is missing the label for A (played a lot of TF2 and it's where I rest my left hand) and it is strange to see my parents who've used keyboards since the 70s/80s type away and then come to a complete stop looking for the A button. It kinda takes a leap of faith to believe your fingers know what to hit next :p

(sort of)on topic: Isn't touch typing when you also use all of your fingers and barely move your arms? I just use my pinkies for shift, but other than that it's 75% index finger and 25% middle finger.

I'm not the fastest typer in the world, but my computer is missing the label for A (played a lot of TF2 and it's where I rest my left hand) and it is strange to see my parents who've used keyboards since the 70s/80s type away and then come to a complete stop looking for the A button. It kinda takes a leap of faith to believe your fingers know what to hit next :p

(sort of)on topic: Isn't touch typing when you also use all of your fingers and barely move your arms? I just use my pinkies for shift, but other than that it's 75% index finger and 25% middle finger.

I don't know, it is really weird to think about looking at the keyboard while typing at this point in my life. We started typing classes in the 4th or 5th grade. That was about 12 years ago. Plus, spending time on the internetz helped improve my typing skills as well. The only time I have any trouble is when I need to use the number keys above the QWERTY. If I have a numpad though it isn't an issue. However, there are people in their mid-30s where I work who peck, look for each key before typing it, etc. It is astounding to see someone type like that in today's society.

Venfayth

This is what I do to practice typing - http://keybr.com/

Some words are real, some words are not, but all of the words that aren't real are generated only by using parts of real english words, so you never really "get used" to the words that you have to type, and everything is relevant.

Check it out :D

On topic: That video of destiny and naniwa is very awesome, maybe naniwa will convert him to protoss.

Mumei

Yes.

My typing is relatively poor. I do 85wpm if I'm trying, but a lot of it has to do with that I don't have to type fast for anything and I've never had a need to improve it.
I'm really fast at using computers and keyboard shortcuts and mouse precision and such though.

Yeah I actually don't know anymore. Maybe I've just had this thought about how I type for a long time and I've never bothered to think or test it for a long time.
I guess I'm like 50/50 on looking down and up (glancing) since it lets me catch any errors.
If I'm watching a video and typing I won't look down though. I think it's just me focusing on what I'm doing.

That's actually quite fast. A typical person types around 30 WPM. It might be a bit average on, say, this site, but it definitely isn't slow.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
well, lets put it this way; SEA only has 800 masters/GM players.

really, it should just be folded into other regions by now.
Lag might be too high for some sea countries. Sea server is in Korea I'm guessing? That's where Taiwan server was too before merger.

WedgeX

Banned
Dudes I just close my eyes and type. Its all about that touch.

Looks like I won't be at GAF Night tomorrow. But I'll be back next year!

Yoshichan

CombatEX ♥

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's actually quite fast. A typical person types around 30 WPM. It might be a bit average on, say, this site, but it definitely isn't slow.
Usually is like 55 or so. 85 if I'm sitting properly and focusing on typeracer.

Help I need TvP pointers

Deadman

Dragon typing ez ez ez to combatex as he beats him. Like him a little bit now.

Edit: hahaha i love him making predictions on what the opponent did and how the game was going and always being wrong

Top Bottom