• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Likewise the top zergs have pretty much been a consistent list of the same 5 or so players

There are many random upsets in the game but ultimately the truly dominating players tend to last. But the NA scene somewhat unstable; the players who once did well in MLG pre-Koreans are no longer doing well, and each tournament sees a different person go on a run before barely being heard of again. Scarlet seems like she could have staying power if she wants it, but that's about it

And while money doesn't buy success, it buys you the time to be successful. Machine, InControl, Idra, Tyler, etc don't have to worry about money or being kicked to the curb before their contracts expire. The eg guys have a gaming house and team that caters to them, plus the ability to train with Koreans and Europeans. Yet they're constantly outclassed by people who don't have those benefits. I can understand losing a ZvZ to some cheesy asshole or getting surprised by a strong timing - but these guys constantly look like amateurs

Mairu

Sure there is, among the best of the best.

MVP and MKP were the top 2 Terrans back in 2010 and are still in the top 5 today. MC was the best Protoss by far in 2010-2011 and even in 2012 he's never been less than a top 5 Protoss and is arguably still #1 with only Seed and SKT.Rain even close.
Yes, there's consistency among like five players in the scene. Please dude.

Zzoram

Likewise the top zergs have pretty much been a consistent list of the same 5 or so players

There are many random upsets in the game but ultimately the truly dominating players tend to last. But the NA scene somewhat unstable; the players who once did well in MLG pre-Koreans are no longer doing well, and each tournament sees a different person go on a run before barely being heard of again. Scarlet seems like she could have staying power if she wants it, but that's about it

And while money doesn't buy success, it buys you the time to be successful. Machine, InControl, Idra, Tyler, etc don't have to worry about money or being kicked to the curb before their contracts expire. The eg guys have a gaming house and team that caters to them, plus the ability to train with Koreans and Europeans. Yet they're constantly outclassed by people who don't have those benefits. I can understand losing a ZvZ to some cheesy asshole or getting surprised by a strong timing - but these guys constantly look like amateurs

Pre-Korean MLG shouldn't even count.

Post-Korean MLG has had pretty solid winners like MMA, MVP, Naniwa, Huk, Taeja, DRG, MKP, Leenock and Violet. These guys are not randoms who disappeared.

(._.)

Banned
It's been almost a year since HuK has fallen off. I think he got deep into a couple MLG arenas this year but he has sorta vanished it feels like. He still lives in Korea I think with HerO and a few others.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
huk still is #3 control

Zzoram

It's been almost a year since HuK has fallen off. I think he got deep into a couple MLG arenas this year but he has sorta vanished it feels like. He still lives in Korea I think with HerO and a few others.

Ya Huk has kinda fallen off but I don't think he's hopeless. He still beats good players semi-regularly, just doesn't win tournaments.

(._.)

Banned
Ya Huk has kinda fallen off but I don't think he's hopeless. He still beats good players semi-regularly, just doesn't win tournaments.

Yea I agree. I still think he has lot of opportunity. I'm sure he will make his way back into code s one way or another. Probably through a seed though :\

Mairu

He's done pretty well in some online tournaments recently so there's still hope. He's 3-0 in his NASL group beating Ret, Arthur, & Morrow. He also qualified for IPL5 through one of their Asian "Satellites", beating Shine & Ryung

zlatko

Banned
huk still is #3 control

I thought he was #1 at some point?

As time has gone on, the 1 player that is consistent and I love to watch play, is The Little One. I can expect mediocrity and bat shit craziness, and the occasional long ass mountain beard.

<3 TLO

Zzoram

Liquid has no good foreigners anymore.

Ret and Sheth get the odd win but aren't even able to keep up with the best of EU right now, nevermind Koreans.

TLO and Nony are never going to be anything at this point. Nony doesn't even deserve a salary given the way he behaves.

Mairu

Liquid has no good foreigners anymore.

Ret and Sheth get the odd win but aren't even able to keep up with the best of EU right now, nevermind Koreans.

TLO and Nony are never going to be anything at this point. Nony doesn't even deserve a salary given the way he behaves.
Ret still does pretty decently but he's always been pretty inconsistent.

How do we know Nony even gets a salary at all?

Zzoram

Ret still does pretty decently but he's always been pretty inconsistent.

How do we know Nony even gets a salary at all?

I assume Nony's initial contract was more than just Tshirts and tournament flights. He was supposed to be their star player.

Most players are probably not getting pay cuts for poor performance.

Holden

its been more then 2 years then sc2 has been realeased, if he had one, it would of changed

Only 3 members of root have a salary.

why would anybody in the world think somebody who even says he doesn't have a career in sc2 have a salary?

Mairu

I assume Nony's initial contract was more than just Tshirts and tournament flights. He was supposed to be their star player.

Most players are probably not getting pay cuts for poor performance.

its been more then 2 years then sc2 has been realeased, if he had one, it would of changed

Only 3 members of root have a salary.

why would anybody in the world think somebody who even says he doesn't have a career in sc2 have a salary?

Holden's like 12 years old and even he understands that esports contracts aren't multi-year. I don't expect him to be supported the same way he was in 2011, but none of us really know the extent of TL's financial support. For all we know, he could only be getting paid hotels/flights (for all the events he went to this year LOL...)

And even in the beginning of SC2 Tyler was nowhere near their star player. Pretty much every player picked up since SC2 TL has done better than Tyler at probably any point in time

Holden

Holden's like 12 years old and even he understands that esports contracts aren't multi-year. I don't expect him to be supported the same way he was in 2011, but none of us really know the extent of TL's financial support. For all we know, he could only be getting paid hotels/flights (for all the events he went to this year LOL...)

And even in the beginning of SC2 Tyler was nowhere near their star player. Pretty much every player picked up since SC2 TL has done better than Tyler at probably any point in time

fuck you :3

Mairu

Stephano withdraws from the ASUS ROG GD Studio Invitational :(

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=374139&currentpage=2#32

Evil Geniuses will be release a comprehensive statement on the matter shortly. We are extremely grateful that the event organizers were so understanding given the proximity to the event. We hope their tournament is a success, and we look forward to cheering on Marcus "ThorZaIN" Eklof who will still be competing.
-- Cody Conners, General Manager, Evil Geniuses

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Unless you're EG or some top Korean on a foreign team you probably don't have a salary. Sure there might be some exceptions but they probably get paid a low amount.

It's hard to see Nony being renewed next year; he doesnt add to the team anymore. TL seems to be doing well and probably wants to add a solid foreigner. Sheth may not win much but he's perfect for the team. Same with TLO who sucks but is branching out to becoming a spokesman through casting (similar to InControl's positive impact on his team, despite not being a good player).

Ret is popular and isn't a bad player. His problem is that he seemingly refuses to practice. The EU scene is clearly surpassing the NA scene yet Ret is falling behind hard.

Zzoram

It's hard to see Nony being renewed next year; he doesnt add to the team anymore. TL seems to be doing well and probably wants to add a solid foreigner. Sheth may not win much but he's perfect for the team. Same with TLO who sucks but is branching out to becoming a spokesman through casting (similar to InControl's positive impact on his team, despite not being a good player).

Ret is popular and isn't a bad player. His problem is that he seemingly refuses to practice. The EU scene is clearly surpassing the NA scene yet Ret is falling behind hard.

TL will keep him as long as he wants to stay. The question is if they will keep wasting a salary on him or stop paying him.

Nony brings nothing to the table now. He is a hopeless player, an increasingly BM and disliked personality, and his biggest contribution was State of the Game which ended months ago.

Since no one plays SC2 anymore, pro gamer salary discussion is now the dominant SC2 GAF Cycle option.

I wonder how much TLO gets paid a month

Holden

Can't watch because I'm at work, but the youtube comment of, "Real talk with InCholesterol" made me laugh so hard.

just the video of that fat cat w/ no sound, but at those times i posted you can hear for a second a part of the sotg intro

and at 4:00 it says pm /est and at 18:00 it says OCT

SO 18 OCTOBER, HYPEHYPEHYPE

root's "sotg" is quite interesting aswell.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
just the video of that fat cat w/ no sound, but at those times i posted you can hear for a second a part of the sotg intro

and at 4:00 it says pm /est and at 18:00 it says OCT

SO 18 OCTOBER, HYPEHYPEHYPE

root's "sotg" is quite interesting aswell.
sotg, so...

a frat house community manager, a depressed petulant has been, a bi-polar corporate social climber; all hosted by deputy dawg's creepy downbeat cousin. none of which are relevant to pro starcraft.

oh and artosis, but hopefully he's got better things to do.

Mairu

http://evilgeniuses.net/ilyes-stephano-satouri-suspended-for-october/

Evil Geniuses&#8217; Ilyes &#8220;Stephano&#8221; Satouri has been suspended without pay for the remainder of October following his recent inappropriate comments. Please read the full press release for more information.

To EG Fans, eSports Enthusiasts, and Concerned Members of the Gaming Community,

Today, Evil Geniuses announces that French Zerg player Ilyes &#8220;Stephano&#8221; Satouri has been suspended without pay for the remainder of October, following his recent inappropriate comments. He will be ineligible to participate in all online and offline competitions during the month of October, including the upcoming GD Invitational and DreamHack Bucharest tournaments for which he was previously signed up. We sincerely apologize to the respective organizers of these tournaments for any inconvenience the last-minute cancellations may cause.

That apology, however, obviously comes as secondary to a much more significant and direly-needed apology for Stephano&#8217;s inexcusable comments themselves. An apology in his own words can be found at the bottom of this post, but additionally, everyone at Evil Geniuses &#8211; including management, players, and staff &#8211; would like to sincerely apologize for these comments. They do not reflect our company&#8217;s sense of morality, behavior and propriety, and they will not be tolerated.

The full extent of the ramifications for Stephano&#8217;s comments is yet to be determined. The decision to suspend him, without pay, for the rest of October is final, but the situation is still being reviewed internally at EG, and we do not consider the matter closed as of yet.

We&#8217;d like to thank everyone in the gaming community for your patience, and we once again apologize for this incident. For those interested in reading it, Ilyes&#8217; personal apology follows immediately below this note.

Sincerely,

Evil Geniuses

Ilyes &#8220;Stephano&#8221; Satouri&#8217;s Apology:
&#8220;I want to very sincerely apologize to all of my fans, my teammates and management at EG, all of EG&#8217;s sponsors, and the rest of the community for my comments last week. They were insensitive, inappropriate, way over the line, and are deserving of the serious ramifications I have received from my team. I accept responsibility for my mistake, and I will be more careful in the future.&#8221;

Pasted the whole thing since the site is getting hammered.

gj srs. . .

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom