• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Deadman

co2TE.jpg

i lol'd

http://www.twitch.tv/demuslim/b/334903090 41.57

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Riot stuff reminds me of MLG somewhat. They do/say something then people go crazy and MLG (sundance usually) going woah woah woah we didnt say that or mean it in that way!

Who is Sase?

A european, therefore already better than you at esports.

Some one wants rain at the finals

At this point it looks like he is pretty much the best player in the world (maybe not but he's close). I don't think they need to do much to see that happen.

It's going to be so awful that WCS World Championship with have 0 Terrans of note.

Yep we had this discussion in the WCS Europe thread. Whatever the reason for it happening not having any decent players from 1 race really affects the credibility of a tournament like this.

IMO they should have started off by inviting the top 2 players of each race worldwide to ensure they would get a minimum from each race. Will still be a good tournament but not what it could have been.

Only have to look at the GSL to see this is bullshit, zergs are starting to fall behind again if anything. Infestors aren't the reason Sase is forever code B.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The same leenock who got knocked out last week?
. Quite frankly if Sase was actually serious with that comment considering the recent success of protoss that's pretty embarrasing.

no, the leenock thats been in and around code S since the open season.
that scrub.

He sounds rather ill in his blog post today. Perhaps he needs to do something else, clearly sc2 isn't working for him. It would be different if he was trying hard and failing.

He should probably either leave for good or try to become a caster

fanboi

Banned
He sounds rather ill in his blog post today. Perhaps he needs to do something else, clearly sc2 isn't working for him. It would be different if he was trying hard and failing.

He should probably either leave for good or try to become a caster

Isn't he depressed aswell? Might be something to do with that... since you can act all irrational.

Obviously Nony gets paid but not by much; it's not like TL is paying for his health care or anything. I do believe it's time for him to move on. He hasn't been decent at any point of the game's existence in part due to not trying hard.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Obviously Nony gets paid but not by much; it's not like TL is paying for his health care or anything. I do believe it's time for him to move on. He hasn't been decent at any point of the game's existence in part due to not trying hard.

He was the guy who said he didn't have to practice to stay good at this game.

He was the guy who said he didn't have to practice to stay good at this game.
Yup

TL's management has to be disappointed. They clearly thought he would be their foreigner hope, given how good he was at BW; plus let's face it, he understands the game. It never materialized as success though. Even Haypro can rest his hat on beating Nestea in a tournament and almost beating MVP, what does Nony have?

Then TL lost Huk and pretty much decided the only way they'd be successful was by buying Koreans and hoping Ret hoes farther in a tournament

Zen

Banned
EG doesn't need better players, they need a better training system. Most of their players constantly seem behind the metagame, either due to location/traveling (Puma, Huk), stubbornness (Idra), or just plain being bad (everyone else). Now they have Stephano, who is the poster boy of not practicing.

Given the money and resources being pumped into them, there's no excuse for guys like InControl and Machine not to be some of the best NA players. You probably can throw Idra in there too, as he continually struggles against the same types of players. Going to korea for a couple weeks won't fix this - it's an institutional problem. The team seems more focused on selling gear and getting views than preparing to win. And I'm sorry InControl, but practicing super hard for the week before a tournament does not count.

Spot on. The 'EG curse' video was fairly funny, and it did its best to highlight a few exceptions, but it's very clear that there are major structural and cultural problems within the EG house that are not being addressed.

I wonder if Stephano will remember the moment he said 'What the fuck are you talking about?!' in the EG curse video when his results start slidding harder.

Spot on. The 'EG curse' video was fairly funny, and it did its best to highlight a few exceptions, but it's very clear taht there are major structural and cultural problems within the EG house that are not being addressed.

I wonder if Stephano will remember the moment he said 'What the fuck are you talking about?!' in the EG curse video when his results stat slidding harder.

I thought Stephano was going to reach a downturn eventually even before signing, but it's more likely now lol. He'll probably be good enough to dominate EU/NA and average Koreans as long as he wants, but I dunno if he'll win anything huge, especially with protoss doing so well. And of course, who knows how he'll be in HOTS; I'd imagine a lot of players we don't think about now will improve once the expansion is adopted.

EG needs to be cleaned up. They don't need new players - get a decent coach who can clash with these guys. Playing Xbox and going to movies is fine - they're kids basically. But at some point EG needs to see some ROI, especially with so much money being available in the US scene through WCS now

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Funny going through that Rekrul blog from ages ago about how much Idra sucks then seeing a Suppy post lol. Awkward.

Haha. I already knew IdrA sucks, but this is just more evidence. He is not a bad player, he just does not deserve to be in Korea at all. Especially since he's such a douche.

All those people who say "being bm and confident hypes the game up": No, IdrA is just hella bm. If it's hyping the match up, why is he still trying to prove himself after the game is over? The things he said don't make any sense and are hypocritical. F91 hopes that IdrA doesn't realize what he's up to? More like IdrA was hoping that in game 5 (and 6?) when he did weird ass builds and was lucky when F91 thought he was going pure mech.

NonY is a much better representative than IdrA. Much more likable too.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=88342&currentpage=All

a3den

Spot on. The 'EG curse' video was fairly funny, and it did its best to highlight a few exceptions, but it's very clear that there are major structural and cultural problems within the EG house that are not being addressed.

I wonder if Stephano will remember the moment he said 'What the fuck are you talking about?!' in the EG curse video when his results start slidding harder.

You're riding the reddit argument a little too hard for me.

First, a little known fact : Stephano won't live in the EG house unless he has to travel to the USA for a tournament. Hard to share cultural problems when you're not there.

imo EG has no particular problem except their flagship player slumping (IdrA). Demuslim unlucky hurt his arm at his peak, Lz they're not paying him, and Machine and Incontrol never were good to begin with. Only Demuslim would be legit "cursed". Furthermore EG made some of their choices knowingly : ThorZaiN was gonna retire if he didn't win anything and EG snatched him after his DH win...

It's pretty much the same thing for Liquid foreigners. Does Liquid has a cultural problem ? No, but still Sheth can't micro with the best of them, TLO hasn't performed anywhere near good and Ret isn't in his best shape.

It's just that hard to perform well during a long time. Big names of yesterday (nani, morrow, white-ra, jinro) are proof of that.

Sumidor

imo EG has no particular problem except their flagship player slumping (IdrA). Demuslim unlucky hurt his arm at his peak, Lz they're not paying him, and Machine and Incontrol never were good to begin with. Only Demuslim would be legit "cursed". Furthermore EG made some of their choices knowingly : ThorZaiN was gonna retire if he didn't win anything and EG snatched him after his DH win...

What do you define as a slump?

What do you define as a slump?

This. Idra hasn't done anything of note in what, a year (since IEM)? MLG flameouts and disappointing finishes even in all-NA tournaments...

And I don't think Idra is EG's flagship player tbh. Wouldn't that be Huk, who has won more and is more accomplished overall? And of course he has pretty much been exposed as a one dimensional cheesy joke (like Puma)

Mairu

There isn't really that much consistency in the SC2 scene, it's probably unfair to say "EG has a huge problem supported by facts!" Players do well, hit their peak, and most of them usually fade away. There's GSL champions no longer in Code A or Code S and Code S Finalists dropping to Code B.

Maybe EG should be doing better purely because they're the most financially successful NA team, but money doesn't always buy medals. I mean, the next biggest NA team is probably Complexity, and they've fallen off pretty hard. Even Quantic doesn't really have many major players anymore since losing Naniwa.

Zzoram

There isn't really that much consistency in the SC2 scene, it's probably unfair to say "EG has a huge problem supported by facts!" Players do well, hit their peak, and most of them usually fade away. There's GSL champions no longer in Code A or Code S and Code S Finalists dropping to Code B.

Maybe EG should be doing better purely because they're the most financially successful NA team, but money doesn't always buy medals. I mean, the next biggest NA team is probably Complexity, and they've fallen off pretty hard. Even Quantic doesn't really have many major players anymore since losing Naniwa.

Sure there is, among the best of the best.

MVP and MKP were the top 2 Terrans back in 2010 and are still in the top 5 today. MC was the best Protoss by far in 2010-2011 and even in 2012 he's never been less than a top 5 Protoss and is arguably still #1 with only Seed and SKT.Rain even close.

Top Bottom