• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Deadman

I got 71/76, no cheating

Missed

Iem americas V - Fenix
Iem world championship V - Ace
Iem VI sao paulo - Violet
TSL 4 - Creator
WCS south korea - Creator

I didnt watch any of those tournaments

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game sucks.

7nZOG.png

giri

Then let's go with T for toughest. Not that anyone cares about the other TSL anymore anyway.

I don't see why they should drop global.

Foreigners are able to compete if they go through the qualifiers.

They've regularly been seeding foreigners

Its the toughest comp in the world

It might not be the most diverse, but that has as much to do with the sheer quality of players they have in abundance in korea.

I think you're making a much-a-do about nothing here.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I got 71/76, no cheating

Missed

Iem americas V - Fenix
Iem world championship V - Ace
Iem VI sao paulo - Violet
TSL 4 - Creator
WCS south korea - Creator

I didnt watch any of those tournaments

65 / 76, ran out of time towards the end, but the ones i did just miss:
MLG Dalas 2011 - Naniwa (team threw me off)
MLG Raleigh 2011 - Bomber
MLG Global invitational - naniwa
IEM sao paulo - violet
asus rog 2012 winter - polt
MLG spring arena - violet

the last bunch i missed due to time :(

Zzoram

MLG Dallas is going to be epic.

Too bad SKT1.Rain and Jaedong won't be in the group stage. I doubt KeSPA is flying anyone over to MLG Dallas that didn't win a seed to the group stage.

Deadman

MLG Dallas groups:

A
Leenock
Hero
Oz
Vibe
San
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

B

Naniwa
TheSTC
Grubby
HwangSin
BabyKnight
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

C

Violet
Taeja
Revival
Major
Life
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

D

Heart
First
Daisy
Bomber
Scarlett
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

The 4 Kespa players are Flash, Soo, Soulkey and Hyvaa. I think they are waiting on the final rank in MvP to place them by seed.

Mairu

MLG Dallas groups:

A
Leenock
Hero
Oz
Vibe
San
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

B

Naniwa
TheSTC
Grubby
HwangSin
BabyKnight
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

C

Violet
Taeja
Revival
Major
Life
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

D

Heart
First
Daisy
Bomber
Scarlett
Kespa
Open Bracket
Open Bracket

The 4 Kespa players are Flash, Soo, Soulkey and Hyvaa. I think they are waiting on the final rank in MvP to place them by seed.

poor major

Deadman

Inside the game with destiny coming on to talk about the death of sc2 is pretty funny. Probably worth catching the vod.

Edit: Yeah. You HAVE to watch it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Inside the game with destiny coming on to talk about the death of sc2 is pretty funny. Probably worth catching the vod.

Edit: Yeah. You HAVE to watch it.

Holy shit this is getting heated.

DJWheat is raging hard at Destiny, hoooooooooly shit.

Mairu

Holy shit this is getting heated.

DJWheat is raging hard at Destiny, hoooooooooly shit.

deservedly so

destiny's dumb and irrelevant to the sc2 scene, but I'm sure we'll get some more long winded posts to keep himself in the spotlight since lol doesn't care about him

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
deservedly so

destiny's dumb and irrelevant to the sc2 scene, but I'm sure we'll get some more long winded posts to keep himself in the spotlight since lol doesn't care about him

Destiny: "I think the idea is that all the Koreans leave sc2 for lol, so players like Idra and Incontrol can win tournaments now"

What a bitch move to end on.

Deadman

I think destiny was mostly right and the hosts mostly wrong. Its quite funny for destiny to basically collect everything idra has been saying for 2 years in a post and now idra says "yeah why bother".

Wheat didnt seem so mad at idra being bitchy and telling destiny to "fuck off and play lol" but he goes rant mode when destiny retorts.

giri

Maybe i'm just out of the loop, but why is Sc2 dead?

Seems to be plenty of tournaments with many decent prizes, and still plenty of pro-teams and Pro Players, going around.

And, are there THAT many LoL tourneys? i don't get any LoL updates, only hear the occasional DOTA news through friends, but out side the invitational, the DOTA scene doesn't seem to have anywhere near the depth or money behind it as Starcraft. With many of the major pro teams skiping all tournaments for months leading up to the invitational.

And that comes from many friends who are pretty into DOTA. But it would also appear that the Chinesse are backing DOTA more than LoL?

I don't know, this all seems to be the normal thing that happens in the months leading up to an expansion of any and every game, to me. People post this sort of stuff ad-nauseum before WoW expansions for 8 months about how the community is dead. Then expansion happens, population boom, and everything is rosy again.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
What a bitch move to end on.
Well, having incontrol walk away from you mid sentence to high-five the guy who just told you to "Fuck off to LoL" might have ticked him off a bit.

It was a shitfest from the beginning. this opened with incontrol doing his impressions and refering to destiny's opinions as the stupidest thing he's ever said/done long before destiny even showed up.

It shouldnt have happened, everyone but painuser looks bad because of it.

Besides, they still wouldnt win tournaments.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

Seems to be plenty of tournaments with many decent prizes, and still plenty of pro-teams and Pro Players, going around.

viewership numbers are dropping, players are leaving and teams are disbanding.

HoTs will regain some of the bubble WoL had, but i dont see it competing with the growth of dota/lol; hots will see starcraft 2 lose its main stage event status and that is when people will truly lose their shit.

Haunted

And, are there THAT many LoL tourneys? i don't get any LoL updates, only hear the occasional DOTA news through friends, but out side the invitational, the DOTA scene doesn't seem to have anywhere near the depth or money behind it as Starcraft. With many of the major pro teams skiping all tournaments for months leading up to the invitational.

And that comes from many friends who are pretty into DOTA. But it would also appear that the Chinesse are backing DOTA more than LoL?

I don't know, this all seems to be the normal thing that happens in the months leading up to an expansion of any and every game, to me. People post this sort of stuff ad-nauseum before WoW expansions for 8 months about how the community is dead. Then expansion happens, population boom, and everything is rosy again.
People were expecting this huge growth for the whole esports sector spearheaded by SC2, and it's got its thunder stolen by these Moba games, which are boasting bigger playerbases, bigger stream numbers and bigger [single] tournament prizes. That said, these are largely fuelled by Riot/Valve outspending Blizzard about 3:1, if you factor in all the sponsor money, SC2 is still the most developed and lucrative sport.

No doubt SC2 is far from dead and still going, but it's also clear that the growth of lol and Dota 2 is on a trajectory to surpass SC2 relatively soon. It's a competitive environment and Blizzard will have to step up if they don't only want to be one of the also-rans.

giri

viewership numbers are dropping, players are leaving and teams are disbanding.

HoTs will regain some of the bubble WoL had, but i dont see it competing with the growth of dota/lol; hots will see starcraft 2 lose its main stage event status and that is when people will truly lose their shit.

Teams disbanding? I don't know many teams that disbanded over pure financial stuff and not total drama recently. Slayers was drama, not financial (yes, finances played a role in the end).

And players leave/new ones come all the time. With the KESPA players just coming over, a lot of the b-tier ESF players will have to make some decisions about whether they can really compete on this level.

People were expecting this huge growth for the whole esports sector spearheaded by SC2, and it's got its thunder stolen by these Moba games, which are boasting bigger playerbases, bigger stream numbers and bigger [single] tournament prizes. That said, these are largely fuelled by Riot/Valve outspending Blizzard about 3:1, if you factor in all the sponsor money, SC2 is still the most developed and lucrative sport.

No doubt SC2 is far from dead and still going, but it's also clear that the growth of lol and Dota 2 is on a trajectory to surpass SC2 relatively soon. It's a competitive environment and Blizzard will have to step up if they don't only want to be one of the also-rans.

I can see the argument that steam are spending huge sums of money, but it's a one off tournament, i would have thought for a proper pro scene, they're much better off competing in 10, $100,000 tournaments.

I can also see the argument that Sc2 needs to get its stuff together and present the most professional product it can. But i'd say it's by far and away the most professionally run of all of them, Especially in presentation.

As for the huge growth spear headed by Sc2. I'm not sure about that, but Sc2 is far and away known as the most/best pro game around. But e-sports are going to need more than that to break mainstream. They need celebrities, and people regularly earning big salaries, constantly in the main stream media to do that. And none of these games have that.

Pancakes

oGs lost their primary sponsor to LoL. Who's to say that Monster/Red Bull/Razer won't jump ship as soon as contracts run out? That scares people.

Well, having incontrol walk away from you mid sentence to high-five the guy who just told you to "Fuck off to LoL" might have ticked him off a bit.

It was a shitfest from the beginning. this opened with incontrol doing his impressions and refering to destiny's opinions as the stupidest thing he's ever said/done long before destiny even showed up.

It shouldnt have happened, everyone but painuser looks bad because of it.

Besides, they still wouldnt win tournaments.

I didn't catch the go back to LoL comments so I guess it makes his response more understandable.

Destiny's official response to that comment on Reddit:

Destiny said:
Sorry, was pretty immature, but got miffed by the fucking idiotic "go back to LoL" comment followed by the high five (??) from two players who have little to no success (as of the past year) in the SC2 scene. I get this impression that every single pro thinks they exist in this "untouchable God-bubble" where they think they can dictate to the community and casual player what those people want in a game.

It's incredibly fucking annoying to see how out of touch they are with the average person that just wants to sit down and have some fun playing games.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Teams disbanding? I don't know many teams that disbanded over pure financial stuff and not total drama recently. Slayers was drama, not financial (yes, finances played a role in the end).
startale sacced its lol team, ogs lost sponsors, part of the slayers drama was in three heavy hitters secretly switching to lol.

Mairu

SC2 is dead because LoL is huge

or something

Pancakes

why do people keep saying sc 2 is dead? if the first one lasted until sc2 ,what makes them think this would be any different? [btw anyone know how many players sc2 has?]

No one's (seriously) saying that SC2 will completely die off. There will always be diehards for every game. But the scene will being to shrink further and further into obscurity. I bet Halo fans never imagined getting kicked out of MLG...

No one's (seriously) saying that SC2 will completely die off. There will always be diehards for every game. But the scene will being to shrink further and further into obscurity. I bet Halo fans never imagined getting kicked out of MLG...

wasn't that because they ruined the halo series with reach?[causal]

Top Bottom