• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
why do people keep saying sc 2 is dead? if the first one lasted until sc2 ,what makes them think this would be any different? [btw anyone know how many players sc2 has?]

People are worried. SC1 lasted off his huge presence in Korea. SC2 isnt that yet and games like LoL might take alot of that market share but Kespa just recently joined so we have to wait and see if that helps get it more popular.

Corran Horn

Wolf and JP McDaniel sign with eMG ...and Matt “Look No Hands” Fink.

I understand the first 2...not to be a rude or anything but what?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So many dailies where Day9's just laddering :/

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So many dailies where Day9's just laddering :/

Not much else for him to really talk about. No one really wants to innovate when a new expansion in on the horizon. And he can only go over the same shit on newbie Tuesdays so many times.

Vaporak

"SC2 is dead" is mostly a reaction born out of insecurity. SC2 is in no danger of dying out any time soon. However, SC2 is almost certain to lose/has already lost it's position as the worlds premier eSports title. I think there are 3 important reasons for why this has bubbled up.

1) Valve and Riot are willing to heavily subsidize their respective esports scenes while Blizzard is not. This is probably the case because part of the SC2 plan blizzard pitched to Activision involved being able to perpetually make money off of the SC2 tournament scene while 3rd parties did most of the work.
2) The Free to Play model, while not unnecessary for a successful eSports title, does help. SC2 has an unprecedented ability to gain viewers that aren't players, but the overlap between a games player base and the tournament viewership is currently a bigger factor for getting viewership. Free to Play obviously has a major advantage over Pay to Play models in attracting a large base of players, and hence viewers. Moba's going the Free to Play route gave an already popular genre a significant advantage.
3) Some see Heart of the Swarm as not being designed with an understanding of the flaws present in Wings of Liberty. Thinking that HotS is being designed without an understanding of WoL, or without seemingly any design philosophy at all would be pretty disheartening and give one a pretty bleak outlook on the future tournament scene.

Corran Horn

lol that inside the game. Already 1up'ing SotG since their return.

iQKsTG7gYRc6I.gif

dat frathouse

(._.)

Banned
That whole argument that went down was pretty funny/awful. Some good points made, mostly from wheat and incontrol. LMAO @ destiny. everything he says is so incoherent and honestly I'm starting to get a bit tired of his character.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
why do people keep saying sc 2 is dead? if the first one lasted until sc2 ,what makes them think this would be any different? [btw anyone know how many players sc2 has?]

Just because Brood War was popular for so long has nothing to do with how SC2 will do, and it looks like LoL has taken over Korea anyway.

1) Valve and Riot are willing to heavily subsidize their respective esports scenes while Blizzard is not. This is probably the case because part of the SC2 plan blizzard pitched to Activision involved being able to perpetually make money off of the SC2 tournament scene while 3rd parties did most of the work.
2) The Free to Play model, while not unnecessary for a successful eSports title, does help. SC2 has an unprecedented ability to gain viewers that aren't players, but the overlap between a games player base and the tournament viewership is currently a bigger factor for getting viewership. Free to Play obviously has a major advantage over Pay to Play models in attracting a large base of players, and hence viewers. Moba's going the Free to Play route gave an already popular genre a significant advantage.

Valve only run one tournament and don't put money into any other tournament, not too different from Blizzard running WCS.

If you want a succesful eSport it needs to be F2P, it might not have been this way in the past but it's how it is now. Going for a paid expansion route is definitely not the way to go.

Ashhong

I don't know about you guys but Destiny always comes across as smart when talking about Starcraft and the like. The dude has a way with words.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Chris Mitchell ‏@MitchellChris
@SC2_MMA Corporation R did have an interest in a personal sponsorship with you. Just to reassure you.

Goro Shigeno @Goro87
@MitchellChris But the million dollar question is what happened to mma's personal sponsorship?Did it go to boxer like MMA thought?Withdrawn?

@Goro87 It was rejected.

Goro Shigeno ‏@Goro87
@MitchellChris Oh boy now there's opening a can of worms. Rejected by who, manager J or Jessica? That ? is a key part of drama.

@Goro87 Jessica.
Drama for the drama god.

profit

I am SO pumped for MLG Dallas.

Scarlett and the KeSPA player debut at MLG should be splendid.

I'm really excited aswell!

*checks to see what days MLG is* 2-4 November

... thats the weekend where I am out of internet.....

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Holden

wheat is a fucking retard

he said that the whole riot trying to make tournament LoL only and not dota was a good thing.

Then i saw him in the big LoL final and i was like: "oh that's why he said that"

jasonng

How often does the metagame in BW change? I haven't played in sc2 in months and I noticed the metagame hasn't changed too much since. That's got to be pretty stale from a spectator's point of view. I recently went to watch a Day9 daily that titled "TLO innovates Zerg again" and all it was just TLO going muta ling against toss. How is that anything new?

I would much rather watch a sc2 tournament over a LoL one but watching a sc2 match just bores me to tears now.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From Reddit:

Guise, guise, don't panic. Games don't die when people stop playing and watching. As long as esports grows, every game benefits from that trend.
- a Quake fan

:lol

hamchan

Doesn't require a lot of thinking to figure that out.

Yep it's something that everyone should have realized by now, which is quite sad since SC2 was easily the top dog of e-sports for a while there.

Though I see Incontrol got a raise! Positive signs indeed!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is he any good or is he a scrub?
I think he's fun to watch because he uses some builds that I normally don't see in other streams.

Zzoram

Good luck getting any new people in or even interested in a couple of years when your entry price is $140.

Yep. That will be a huge barrier to entry. SC2 is still fucking $60 MSRP and it's over 2 years old.

When HOTS comes out, Blizzard better reduce SC2 MSRP to $40 or lower, or at least release an SC2+HOTS combo pack for $80 or lower.

When LOTV comes out, the full SC2 Battlechest better be no more than $99 or they will get nobody new that didn't already have the previous games.

Zzoram

I wonder how often we'll be seeing this in the future.

I don't think SC2 will ever be no.1 again unless HotS is surprisingly the most awesome thing ever.

HOTS is looking like a clusterfuck and Blizzard's Battle.net 2.0 team as usual gives no fucks about how SC2's Battle.net still isn't even as fully featured as 2001 Battle.net in WC3 which had chat channels, chat moderators, clans, individual race and match up statistics, weekly automated Battle.net tournaments, and showed both wins and losses.

Imagine if Blizzard implemented the weekly automated Battle.net tournaments that Warcraft 3 had 11 years ago and made it so the winner would get $20 in Battle.net credit or half in PayPal $. People would play the hell out of it and it would essentially cost Blizzard nothing.

Even better, do 1 weekly tournament per server per league, with Bronze top prize being $5 Battle.net credit or half PayPal, and each league up offering double the prize. Now people have an incentive to practice and get better even if they have no intention of going professional.

The problem with SC2 is that we all want it to be the best, we all want to love it, but it's always been the red-headed step-child at Blizzard. I really hope Blizzard starts listening to the community and being more responsive and finally makes Battle.net 2.0 not fucking worse than 2001 Battle.net but at this point Blizzard has shown no indication that it cares.

As for long term monetization, why has Blizzard still not fucking released paid name changes? I think WoW has them so obviously they know how to do it on the technology end. If they finally add some ways for them to get long term income from the existing SC2 base, their managers might finally let them put effort into supporting the game.

zlatko

Banned
This isn't the first time Day9 was paid to promote another game (Remember Kingdoms of Amalur?)

I'd promote anything to have Felicia Day come to my room to "play" video games and have awkward nerd flirting be thrown her way.

*Play being they really just talked a lot and created a character for like what, the tutorial area if that?

profit

New Oracle:

Blizzard said:
1. Revelation is same as before.

2. Pulsar Beam - Passive anti structure ability that deals 20 damage per second. Drains 2 energy per second while channeling. Auto-cast on.

We feel that Pulsar Beam is better as a core harassing ability compared to Entomb. This ability makes better use of the unit's main traits of fast mobility + low durability, and doesn't have Entomb's biggest issue of forcing almost the whole army to stay at the mineral line.

Not only that, we feel this ability has a much greater skill differentiation depending on how well the ability is used. Entombs, no matter who uses them, had pretty much the same effect. Whereas Pulsar Beam will greatly reward players who are able to pay close attention and not lose the Oracles while quickly moving around all over the place in order to harass the opponent's base.

3. Time Warp - Creates a warp field at the target location that reduces enemy ground units' movement speed by 50%

We were aiming for a spell that gets us two main things with this last spell. One was something players can use in combination with Pulsar Beam when harassing the opponent's base. Second was something Protoss players can use in combination with their army. We feel this ability meets both requirements.

One thing we're discussing with Time Warp is if it should also be a time altering spell for timed life units as well. In this scenario, it would have an additional component that speeds up the timer on timed life units such as locusts, infested terrans, or mules.

Our current plan is to patch in the initial ability as fast as possible, and continue discussing/gathering feedback regarding the second component.

Oracle now feels like a unit that you build a few of and harass throughout the course of the whole game. Please let us know your thoughts and when the Oracle patch goes out, please take your time to play with it. Thanks~

Corran Horn

At least Wheat apologized

[–]djWHEAT 136 points 4 hours ago
I fucked up. I apologized to Destiny. I acted inappropriately. I encourage everyone to use this opportunity to slap my hand. I went off the deep end, I deserve to take some shit. I think people can either hold this over my head for eternity, or realize that I know it crossed the line and don't plan on doing it again.

Yoshichan

Can anyone link me the fight between Wheat and whoever it was?

Yoshichan

Thanks, both of you ♥

Top Bottom