• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
When you consider thats only one of the two streams? (did they have the owned numbers too?) doesn't seem too bad really.

I can't watch it cause twitch is terrible at replaying videos and doesn't work.

it was for both. over 9k for twitch, over 2k for own3d.

Zzoram

Code S is on at an awful time for foreigners. It's 2am or 5am in NA, 10am-12pm EU during weekdays. Neither of those times works for students or people with normal full time jobs.

I imagine VODs are the main way people watch GSL.

Oh, and hurricane Sandy.

Code S is on at an awful time for foreigners. It's 2am or 5am in NA, 10am-12pm EU during weekdays. Neither of those times works for students or people with normal full time jobs.

Oh, and hurricane Sandy.

It's also a group stage which isn't even an interesting group and there is very little in there to interest foreign viewers. There is also the fact that they never bother to show it this way so not everyone would know about it.

I have absolutely no doubt that they would get a lot more viewers showing it this way. I don't mean the viewer count would suddenly explode but it would definitely be better.

Oh, and hurricane Sandy.

VODS is the only way I have ever watched GSL. Its impossible to do so any other way if you have a job or are a student.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Blizzard is awful at supporting eSports. Just putting together a tournament isn't enough.
That is why i disliked all the love for the esports dude when he left. Barely anything has been done besides maybe pumping money in. Maybe there are just too many hoops to go through in order to do small things like that while smaller companies like valve and riot can easily do it.

Mairu

That is why i disliked all the love for the esports dude when he left. Barely anything has been done besides maybe pumping money in. Maybe there are just too many hoops to go through in order to do small things like that while smaller companies like valve and riot can easily do it.

Really? The WCS initiative is a huge step from Blizzard. I really don't know how people can say they do 'nothing' for esports when they went from having one tournament with a sketchy invite process to working with event organizers and other partners to create a 'world series' for SC2.

Yes, in 2010 & 2011 they did a fairly poor job - but WCS is a giant step and they've clearly made movements towards supporting eSports in a bigger fashion with both WCS and the increased presence we've seen of tournaments within the client & on their website

Corran Horn

Really? The WCS initiative is a huge step from Blizzard. I really don't know how people can say they do 'nothing' for esports when they went from having one tournament with a sketchy invite process to working with event organizers and other partners to create a 'world series' for SC2.

Yes, in 2010 & 2011 they did a fairly poor job - but WCS is a giant step and they've clearly made movements towards supporting eSports in a bigger fashion with both WCS and the increased presence we've seen of tournaments within the client & on their website

I disagree in the manner of helping esports by creating more tournaments in our world filled with hundreds of tournaments instead of putting those resources into helping improving current ones by giving what is needed. Wcs outside of eurupe and maybe korea has been largely ignored.

Mairu

I disagree in the manner of helping esports by creating more tournaments in our world filled with hundreds of tournaments instead of putting those resources into helping improving current ones by giving what is needed. Wcs outside of eurupe and maybe korea has been largely ignored.

"They don't support eSports the way I want them to, therefore they don't support it at all!"

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraf...orld_Championship_Series/South_America/Finals

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Peru all had national tournaments with South America getting a continental final in countries you generally don't see a lot of tournaments for on TL. Mexico had a live event for their finals. The Oceania continental finals was a pretty big event where they even flew Artosis (& Tasteless?) down! China has seen the WCS Asia Finals, China Finals, and they'll be getting the grand finals. What I think you meant to say, is that WCS outside of EU and KR has been largely ignored by you.

Sure, it sucks that the game does not have enough competition oriented/esports features and it would be awesome if it was DOTA2 where we had in game spectating, pennants for teams to support the players, existing team/clan support, the ability to organize tournaments within the game, or in game streams during tournaments- but that is not something that Ilja Rotelli had anything to do with or should be considered responsible for. It's absolutely foolish to say that Blizzard in 2012's treatment of eSports is the same as it was in 2010 - I just hope we get something similar or better next year since Rotelli left for Riot.

I agree, we don't need more tournaments. We need way more resources put into making the game more accessible and easy to use. People need to be more connected, it needs to be easier to make friends by actually playing the game.

giri

I agree, we don't need more tournaments. We need way more resources put into making the game more accessible and easy to use. People need to be more connected, it needs to be easier to make friends by actually playing the game.

I don't see anything wrong with WCS sticking around. But i can also see the need for other side.

Part of how Dota 2 gets so much... coverage is that The Invitational is such a singularly huge event. It makes it easy for games press to just go there and say "this is the mecha of blah blah".

So, there's nothing wrong with the WCS initiative, i actually really like it. But everything else you said is also entirely true. The in game features could better support the community aspect of it. Right now, Sc2 in terms of in game features, is just a polished Sc1. They really haven't added much to the experience to raise it to another level (again, in terms of being able to support gamers/clans/tournaments).

Mairu

WCS is the best thing to happen to regional competitions. Unfortunately the rest of the world isn't like Korea or some parts of EU- These big country and continental tournaments have had the biggest prize pools some of the areas they've held them in have ever seen. I totally agree that I'd love to see Blizzard's SC2 dev team put more effort into community and competitive features in the game, but I think a lot of you are selling short the benefit that a tournament system like this provides.

I mean, come on, if we're using Riot as the peak for eSport support and success you have to acknowledge the fact that there's a reason they decided to hire Ilja Rotelli. WCS is good shit, and I hope they continue it again next year in addition to adding features in the game.

Deadman

WCS was good. I liked how they funded different tournaments in each region instead of just having an outside blizz hired team travel around and do it all.

If they do WCS 2013 then one thing they must do is demand that the WCS events are their own event. Compare wcs europe to wcs na. Europe was 100k viewers, NA was hidden behind MLG.

Mairu

WCS was good. I liked how they funded different tournaments in each region instead of just having an outside blizz hired team travel around and do it all.

If they do WCS 2013 then one thing they must do is demand that the WCS events are their own event. Compare wcs europe to wcs na. Europe was 100k viewers, NA was hidden behind MLG.

Agreed, MLG's handling of WCS NA & USA was extremely poor. I hope they give one of them to IPL next year

Striek

Not much Blizzard can do as far as I'm concerned. SC2 is a much, much harder game to play and much, much more frustrating than MOBAs. Add that its primarily a 1v1 game (and should remain so), and you can't compete with those other titles. Viewers for both titles are mostly players.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Blizzard could have done so much more, just because it's a 1v1 game doesn't mean they had to completely ignored team games. They needed to get better custom game support, something to keep people logging into the game even if they didn't want to ladder.

I'd be curious to see how many people who watch LoL/Dota still play it compared to people who watch SC2.

Aaron

I always thought that a 2v2 mode in starcraft where a team controls the same base might be cool. Of course, there would have to be mechanics in place so they don't step on each other's metaphorical toes, but it would lessen the burden of having to frantically control units and manage base resources.

Mairu

Definitely should spread the NA/USA/CAN events out so they're not all with 1 tournament.

Well, NASL did a great job with WCS Canada, so they deserve that again assuming they can afford to go back to Canada next year (and WCS still exists...)

Zzoram

I always thought that a 2v2 mode in starcraft where a team controls the same base might be cool. Of course, there would have to be mechanics in place so they don't step on each other's metaphorical toes, but it would lessen the burden of having to frantically control units and manage base resources.

You know what? That's another feature that... already existed in Starcraft 1 but doesn't in Starcraft 2.

The new HotS huge update largely just adds back in Warcraft 3 functionality. They haven't won any hearts yet by continuing to trickle out decade old Battle.net features as if they're something new.

Zzoram

Well, NASL did a great job with WCS Canada, so they deserve that again assuming they can afford to go back to Canada next year (and WCS still exists...)

Actually you're right. Next year NASL and IPL should get WCS if they do it again. MLG did a piss poor job in comparison to NASL.

Mairu

107be7c9c74ea12e18581ddbe83eac5a.png

nice!

Zzoram

The image kind of overlaps the patch notes.

Also, will there be a "Click here to watch" link embedded in that advertising image when MLG starts?

Mairu

The image kind of overlaps the patch notes.

Also, will there be a "Click here to watch" link embedded in that advertising image when MLG starts?

no idea- it was showing the patch notes because it's patching, but this is what it looks like w/o the notes:

662b22a389af733261941b11de75c5b8.png

Striek

SKT1.Rain is forfeiting Code S tonight so he can fly out to MLG open bracket, or so he says.
Bitch move if GOM wasn't told well in advance. Hope he somehow manages to not make groups. And GOM doesn't let him in GSL for at least a season or two.

Zzoram

GOM made an official statement. Since Rain's decision to go to MLG was so last minute, they couldn't move the groups because they had already moved other groups to accommodate other schedules.

Rain will get 4th in his group and go to Code A round 1 but not be out of GSL.

Rain probably figures he'll easily roflstomp his way back into Code S anyways and wants to win some foreign money in the meantime.

Also, MLG signed an exclusivity deal with KeSPA so Rain probably wouldn't be allowed to go to IPL5 anyways so getting to the Ro4 Code S this season isn't as big a deal to him.

Mairu

GOM made an official statement. Since Rain's decision to go to MLG was so last minute, they couldn't move the groups because they had already moved other groups to accommodate other schedules.

Rain will get 4th in his group and go to Code A round 1 but not be out of GSL.

Rain probably figures he'll easily roflstomp his way back into Code S anyways and wants to win some foreign money in the meantime.

Also, MLG signed an exclusivity deal with KeSPA so Rain probably wouldn't be allowed to go to IPL5 anyways so getting to the Ro4 Code S this season isn't as big a deal to him.

Not sure why they didn't just say Rain was going to go to MLG to begin with. I mean, if they really sent the schedules a week ago... why the change of heart? Kespa trying to diminish the value of GSL?

I'd love to see OSL's viewer numbers. Can't imagine them being close to GSL's

(i haven't finished GSL btw, no spoilers plz. I know who made it to the finals but dunno who won)

You know what? That's another feature that... already existed in Starcraft 1 but doesn't in Starcraft 2.

Just so you know this does actually exist, it's an arcade game called macro/micro and it's very fun. The fact that you don't know it exists says a lot though (not about you but about SC2).

Blizzard should be pushing concepts like this. Here is a game that plays like 1v1 but isn't as hard or stressful and you can play it with a friend. It's a fantastic way to simplify the game for players who struggle with playing 1v1 on the ladder.

I'd love to see OSL's viewer numbers. Can't imagine them being close to GSL's

(i haven't finished GSL btw, no spoilers plz. I know who made it to the finals but dunno who won)

I'm not sure how other people felt but to me OSL really just felt like a smaller tournament with a lot less meaning than the GSL. That may not be fair but that's how i saw it, basically a secondary tournament to GSL.

Corran Horn

I'm not sure how other people felt but to me OSL really just felt like a smaller tournament with a lot less meaning than the GSL. That may not be fair but that's how i saw it, basically a secondary tournament to GSL.

It doesnt help that OSL is like 1-2 times a week, airing 1-2 games if that while GSL is 5-6 days a week with 5+ hours each day.

Top Bottom