• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Deadman

Browder on mech tvp

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7592240133#4
Hi! =)

We are doing these patches very quickly. We change our minds a lot as we do testing and we pick at the design and balance. It's hard to know what's coming in the next patch because the next play test could cause something to completely change.

We are working on mech TvP this week and we are working a little on Reapers. We feel like mech TvP still isn't where we want it to be and Reapers are now a better early rusher but we would like to see if we can find a way to make it more generally useful.

But TvP mech is the real focus. We are looking at some buffs to mech units but we have to be careful because mech units can be very strong in other matchups (TvT, TvZ).

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7592240150#4

Thanks for the post. I am NOT endorsing Protoss nerfs by posting on this thread. =) I tend to agree with his comments on the heal beam, the need for changes on the Tank and the Battle Hellion, his concerns on the Raven and the Thor.

I also think he has good comments about TvP Mech. I don't know that nerfing the Protoss units are the answer because of the need for those units to be useful in other match ups but the original poster does (I think) identify the correct threats that are making mech not as viable as we would like.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7593400327?page=1

I want to be very clear about what are goals for using Factory units in Terran vs. Protoss.

We are not trying to create a "Factory Only" option for Terrans in this match up that works in every game on every map all the time. We want all Factory to be useful sometimes and all Barracks to be useful sometimes and a mix to also have a place. We are looking to unlock options, not remove Barracks play as a choice for Terran players against Protoss.

We think that Air units or Barracks units (or both) will often be necessary to support the Factory units. Ghosts alone will mean that the Barracks units always have some use, and Tempests will (probably) often pull the Terrans towards some air.

There are many times where a Terran player in Wings will build a Factory and use it only as a scout or will use it just a tech structure on their way to multiple Starports. We want the Factory to not be that useless. We want it to unlock some of those units for our Terran players when fighting Protoss.

At least that's our current thinking. If we get that to work but it's not that fun to play then we may not continue in this direction. Or if we simply can't make it work and remain balanced we may abandon this goal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yoshi.

meka.jpg

That's the right call. No tournaments in March should be HotS, the play will be trash level.

When people are first learning can be the most exciting time to watch. I think people want to see HOTS and they will get more viewer numbers by switching to it. They should switch as soon as possible.

I also have no doubt that tournaments like MLG know that early on is the best chance foreigners have of competing and they will want to take advantage of that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
"Let's load up StarCraft 2, it's been a while"

"Oh new season, cool. Hope I don't place Bronze LOLZ"

*plays shitty but beats Zerg on some new map due to disconnect midway through*

pVUrD.jpg

Uhhhhh what?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GRAAAAAAAAAAATS

Vaporak

"Let's load up StarCraft 2, it's been a while"

"Oh new season, cool. Hope I don't place Bronze LOLZ"

*plays shitty but beats Zerg on some new map due to disconnect midway through*

pVUrD.jpg

Uhhhhh what?

Congrats! Looks like your MMR was getting into gold before you took a break.

So regret paying for the GSL this season. The HQ stream is simply unwatchable due to lag so i have to watch the free stream every night (which is joke considering the asking price). Actually the free stream has been lagging a fair bit as well and i don't think i'm the only one experiencing this. Yet another thing to turn away viewers.

J2d

So there's only five protoss in code s and one of them is Huk.. feels bad.
Good on Nestea making it back though,hopefully he can surprise me.

Were the Nestea or Huk's games any good? Need to watch vod's.

They were good but i think they were helped by the likes of center being absolute trash. Upgrades how do they work?

Edit: Nestea to me clearly looks a step below all the code S zerg. I'm glad to see him back but i just can't see him being a real threat for the tournament. Would love to see it happen though.

Zzoram

You pay more to be able to get the same shit you've been getting, it's gom's way of saying thank you or something...

Actually it's the SC2 business hurting for money. GOM probably loses money and always has. Viewership has been going down. GOM can't get good Korean sponsors because KeSPA has them all. GOM lives or dies off foreigner subscriptions. We may see GOM SC2 die in 2 or 3 years if Blizzard stops supporting them unless HotS and LotV take off to near-LoL levels of success.

Actually it's the SC2 business hurting for money. GOM probably loses money and always has. Viewership has been going down. GOM can't get good Korean sponsors because KeSPA has them all. GOM lives or dies off foreigner subscriptions. We may see GOM SC2 die in 2 or 3 years if Blizzard stops supporting them unless HotS and LotV take off to near-LoL levels of success.

So why not join Twitch for a free stream, and a $10 HQ stream that includes exclusive Artosis/Tasteless content - perhaps analysis, interviews, glimpses of Korea, etc that runs at US friendly times. They could get perhaps attract US sponsors with the help of Twitch

Not on the international stream they don't, they could be when it comes to their overall operation, but I think that blizz still foots most of the bill when it comes to prize money, so I think they're overall in the black.

The next couple of years is gonna be rough on them, especially if HoTS doesn't take off in a major way, which I think it wont (it will splash, but it will wear off quickly) not a lot of new people are willing to pay $100 up front just to play the latest version of starcraft, especially when almost everything else is F2P, easier to get into and has a much larger player base.

Not on the international stream they don't, they could be when it comes to their overall operation, but I think that blizz still foots most of the bill when it comes to prize money, so I think they're overall in the black.

The next couple of years is gonna be rough on them, especially if HoTS doesn't take off in a major way, which I think it wont (it will splash, but it will wear off quickly) not a lot of new people are willing to pay $100 up front just to play the latest version of starcraft, especially when almost everything else is F2P, easier to get into and has a much larger player base.

Why not make it f2p in Korea, and sell at a low price in China.

So why not join Twitch for a free stream, and a $10 HQ stream that includes exclusive Artosis/Tasteless content - perhaps analysis, interviews, glimpses of Korea, etc that runs at US friendly times. They could get perhaps attract US sponsors with the help of Twitch

It feels like this has been suggested so many times (and i 100% agree with you) but i'm honestly curious for goms reason for not doing this. It's clearly holding them back and hurting their viewer numbers but they won't budge. Have they ever given a good reason besides forcing their shitty gom player on us?

Why not make it f2p in Korea, and sell at a low price in China.

I think the high price of the game is going to as much if not more impact on the International scene which frankly is more important for SC2. It's too late now but i think making the next 2 expansions cost $40 is going to hurt SC2. It's kinda frustrating because so much of that cost is because of the SP campaign. There needs to be a cheaper version of SC2 for people who only want to play the MP. It's basically i giant handicap for the SC2 esports scene that no other esports have to deal with.

Mairu

It feels like this has been suggested so many times (and i 100% agree with you) but i'm honestly curious for goms reason for not doing this. It's clearly holding them back and hurting their viewer numbers but they won't budge. Have they ever given a good reason besides forcing their shitty gom player on us?

I think the high price of the game is going to as much if not more impact on the International scene which frankly is more important for SC2. It's too late now but i think making the next 2 expansions cost $40 is going to hurt SC2. It's kinda frustrating because so much of that cost is because of the SP campaign. There needs to be a cheaper version of SC2 for people who only want to play the MP. It's basically i giant handicap for the SC2 esports scene that no other esports have to deal with.

Maybe they can't negotiate a rate with Twitch that they want - I don't know what % Twitch takes from subscriber fees

I think a lot of the financial analysis that goes on is pretty stupid when you don't have any of the numbers

Top Bottom