• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Maybe they can't negotiate a rate with Twitch that they want - I don't know what % Twitch takes from subscriber fees

I think a lot of the financial analysis that goes on is pretty stupid when you don't have any of the numbers

Feel free not to join in then :). Perhaps that is the reason but it seems to work out well for most people and i think long term that is much better than their current strategy which doesn't even seem viable.

Mairu

Feel free not to join in then :). Perhaps that is the reason but it seems to work out well for most people and i think long term that is much better than their current strategy which doesn't even seem viable.

Their current strategy has been working long enough to keep them going since 2010 with improvements and additions to the quality & content. I don't think they would be raising the price if they were having issues with the subscriber numbers they're getting

Maybe they'd have more motivation to "compete" if Kespa/IEG hadn't decided to stock Proleague with the worst casting & international production we've ever seen

Their current strategy has been working long enough to keep them going since 2010 with improvements and additions to the quality & content. I don't think they would be raising the price if they were having issues with the subscriber numbers they're getting

Maybe they'd have more motivation to "compete" if Kespa/IEG hadn't decided to stock Proleague with the worst casting & international production we've ever seen

Raising the price like that is a pretty standard response to struggling subscriber numbers. Haven't they been getting subsidized by blizzard as well? That can't go on for ever. I'm not going to pretend i know more about how to run their business better than they do, i obviously don't. I do think that long term things won't work out well for them.

I agree about kespa, going with that shitty casting duo and horrible production is going to hurt their international audience. Frankly they have been getting more viewers than they deserve. I don't think kespa is their main competition though. SC2 in general is competing with other games for viewers not just other organizations within SC2. It doesn't matter how bad kespa is or does because gom has to compete with other sources for viewers.

J2d

I swear SC2 sometimes rivals COD in the douchebaggery department when I play 4v4, if people have a problem with other peoples builds they should just stfu and play 1v1.

SamuraiX-

Anybody watching Iron Squid II?

http://www.twitch.tv/ironsquid

Stephano vs MMA right now, tied 1-1.

First game consisted of Stephano just outplaying and outmacroing his opponent.

Second game, MMA follows up with a bunker rush.

Edit: LOL MMA opening up with another 11/11 Rax in Game 3.

(._.)

Banned
I swear SC2 sometimes rivals COD in the douchebaggery department when I play 4v4, if people have a problem with other peoples builds they should just stfu and play 1v1.

team games are total LOL and LOL @ anybody who even remotely tries when playing them

some retard raged at me in mono battles once too

Deadman

Did you get a chance to see Life vs Leenock? Went 3-2. Sounds like it was a good one.

Edit: MMA with ANOTHER 11-11 Rax in Game 4.

cheese so hard

Didnt see life vs leenock, im trying to avoid zvz as much as possible so i can survive the inevitable all zerg gsl ro16

Raising the price like that is a pretty standard response to struggling subscriber numbers. Haven't they been getting subsidized by blizzard as well? That can't go on for ever. I'm not going to pretend i know more about how to run their business better than they do, i obviously don't. I do think that long term things won't work out well for them.

I agree about kespa, going with that shitty casting duo and horrible production is going to hurt their international audience. Frankly they have been getting more viewers than they deserve. I don't think kespa is their main competition though. SC2 in general is competing with other games for viewers not just other organizations within SC2. It doesn't matter how bad kespa is or does because gom has to compete with other sources for viewers.

Raising prices can also be a sign of improving subscriber numbers - unfortunately they don't release sub numbers so we can't know for sure. Neither can potential investors and sponsors make any decision on GOM without access to the numbers, as FXO Boss has pointed out in the past. I feel like a decent free stream could attract more than enough Western viewers to justify some decent sponsors. Last night ProLeague topped 20k viewers on the free stream, mainly due to the TL/EG/Stephano match but it was still rather impression given the average (at best...) English production values. Artosis and Tasteless alone could guarantee a very successful stream.

SamuraiX-

Didnt see life vs leenock, im trying to avoid zvz as much as possible so i can survive the inevitable all zerg gsl ro16

I would definitely recommend it.

I'm watching it right now and Leenock was literally a hair length away from taking the series 3-1. Life's zergling micro is just insane. Really intense matches.

SamuraiX-

FH46

compLexity gaming house closes
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=393053

Closed because their media production guy left...lol yea right. Media production folks aren't hard to find, or expensive. Seems more like they're pooling resourcing for a push at some free agents to revive the team/brand. No one cares about coL, at least not in SC2; I know they have other teams but I don't know whether they're popular either.

Will SC2 ever reach its 2011 heights again, especially in the US? 2013 could be a rebound due to HOTS but I kind of doubt it'll be long lasting.

(._.)

Banned
didn't that team buy like a mcmansion out in some town in texas nobody's ever heard of? ~_~

probably coulda used that money to establish a modest team house in korea

Mairu

compLexity gaming house closes
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=393053

Closed because their media production guy left...lol yea right. Media production folks aren't hard to find, or expensive. Seems more like they're pooling resourcing for a push at some free agents to revive the team/brand. No one cares about coL, at least not in SC2; I know they have other teams but I don't know whether they're popular either.

Will SC2 ever reach its 2011 heights again, especially in the US? 2013 could be a rebound due to HOTS but I kind of doubt it'll be long lasting.

Complexity has always come off poorly to me. They never seem to make an effort to brand themselves in any way and don't do much with their players. I never get surprised when players leave the team and I'm not surprised that their expensive mansion closed. I don't know why NA teams don't make more of an effort to emulate EG's methods of successful marketing.

SamuraiX-

Goswser is absolutely dominating Life.

USA USA USA

Edit: Wow. Life storming back to tie it 2-2 by simply incorporating Mutalisks into his play. Man, this kid. He just turned 16 too.

Mairu

In a tournament with so many GSL finalists, champions, and even more Code S players, the semifinals might end up having 3 non Koreans? Very impressive

SamuraiX-

Ok, Life just won 3 games in a row and took the series 3-2 after being down 0-2. lol

Apparently Mutas are the bane of Goswser's existence in ZvZ. :|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Noooooooo! Panda T_T

Can somebody help me out with something please?
I recently went back to SCII but I am getting weird graphic problems which I never had before. Last time I played I was using a GTX480 now I am using a GTX670. Thing is even though the game says I should be running at extreme if I do the game is unplayable, including cutscenes and game play. One of the issues are black or weird glitches where certain effects should be. I used the repair option and the driver is up to date so I have no idea why the game is borked. Any suggestions please?

This is an example from a cutscene -

(._.)

Banned
why is it a trend in the Korean SC2 scene for like the #1 team to fold suddenly when in it's prime? First SlayerS and now Startale. oGs folded when they were in the top 5 too.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
why is it a trend in the Korean SC2 scene for like the #1 team to fold suddenly when in it's prime? First SlayerS and now Startale. oGs folded when they were in the top 5 too.

Players start getting poached, sponsors start leaving. oGs folded because of the SK partnership.

Mairu

SKT1.Parting

At this rate, the next GSTL will have two teams.

azubu & axiom? :p

Startale losing Parting & Squirtle sucks, but they've always been a pretty deep team so I wouldn't quite jump to the conclusion that they're going away. LG-IM has been impressive to be one of those teams that hasn't really lost anyone in awhile too

Aaron

Would it be possible for LG-IM to join the Kespa rodeo? They have a solid bench and a major sponsor. Don't feel like they belong with the rest of the GOM rabble.

SamuraiX-

StarTale now too!? Whaaaaaatt?? :(

Bomber and Life are two of my favorite players. Looks like they're left headlining the team now... Hopefully they can stabilize. Sucks to see. PartinG and Squirtle really won't be easy to replace.

Zzoram

Korea is basically run by a few mega corporations like Samsung, LG, KT, SKT, etc.

Most of them are KeSPA team owners. The eSF teams have had a hell of a time getting sponsors. In a year or two it will be only KeSPA teams again and GOMTV will only have GSL as a side league while everyone plays Proleague and OSL as it was in BW.

Team 8 will probably fold eventually. LG-IM needs to join KeSPA. None of the other eSF teams have stable major sponsors.

Top Bottom