• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some great camera work and buildup at the end.
Good on Life.

DRG could have stuck it out, but was really in a bad bad spot. Life would of had to mess up super bad a few times vs banes and DRG felt defeated.

qKYBQmt.jpg

r6WGXwH.jpg

K2ZVOUo.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
New Twitch looks... horrible.

Iron squid was fantastic and it's a shame more tournaments aren't of that quality. Basically the complete opposite of the proleague (good production values, good casters, big crowd etc).

RayStorm

Iron squid was fantastic and it's a shame more tournaments aren't of that quality. Basically the complete opposite of the proleague (good production values, good casters, big crowd etc).

It was indeed. As far as I looked into it, tickets cost 36€. Whereas attendance for SPL is free, isn't it? How's it for IEM and other events?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Complistic

I've been having quite a bit more fun 2v2 with some of you. If anyone else is interested pm/post your name and ID and I'll add you.

profit

I dont want to rage, but I'm going to FUCKING RAAAAAGE! Christ I hate this game sometimes! I keep sucking at it, every damn season I get promoted a league and after a few godawfull games I get demoted once again! I keep throwing every damn game, againt Z, P and T because I just do not attack when I need to! Every replay I watch I'm sooooooooo much ahead, and what do I do? I wait, I wait till he catches up to me, and because I forgot my upgrades almost every damn game I just throw it away with stupid engagements and I just dont learn! I dont properly split against banes, I dont snipe/emp templars and I dont punish turtling terrans by taking the map (TvT is most likely the biggest matchup I hate because of sooooooo many turtling players).
In my head I know how to move/execute and identify build orders, but I just dont take advantage of it, I get sooooooo mad at every lost game cause I threw it away because I just do not think on my previous mistakes and just keep doing them!

ugh, done ranting, I'm taking a brake for a few days, maybe I should take these faw days to write down every flaw I identify and past them on the sides of my monitor so I dont forget them.
Dont pay to much attention to me, just needed to vent because I'm just so frustrated I dont see myself progress one bit.

SamuraiX-

^ I hear you, bro. I'm not sure how long you've been playing, but everyone goes through this initial raging process.

It's good that you're recognizing the flaws in your game, but try not to focus on everything all at once. Take a few games and try to tackle just one of the missteps you mentioned, like concentrating on making a 1-1 or 2-2 timing push between the 8-14 minute mark to hit greedy and unprepared opponents. After you feel comfortable with that then you can start incorporating other timings into your macro one-by-one across sets of games.

Like you said, you already seem to be comfortable with performing and identifying build orders, so I would just make a simple list of stuff that you generally space out on and just peek at the list every couple of minutes during the game.

And yeah, taking a few days away from the game to clear your head is always a good idea. :)

(TvT is most likely the biggest matchup I hate because of sooooooo many turtling players).

TvT you should focus on doing drops if you cant beat a turtle, deny their 3rd and let them sit on 2 base forever while you have your 3rd/4th and a max army.

Make then afraid to leave their main, and if they ever do you can 'receive' them to set yourself up for the perfect engagement.

(This is coming from a Protoss player, so take my dropping advice with caution.)

TvT you should focus on doing drops if you cant beat a turtle, deny their 3rd and let them sit on 2 base forever while you have your 3rd/4th and a max army.

Make then afraid to leave their main, and if they ever do you can 'receive' them to set yourself up for the perfect engagement.

(This is coming from a Protoss player, so take my dropping advice with caution.)

Oh how I hate drops. (from a Zerg point of view)

That and MMM ball is what makes T so damn hard to go up against. Its crazy just how "bully-like" T can be to the other races and force them into certain builds.

profit

Oh I know I should be dropping, thing is most Terrans in the lower leagues just put build massive turret rings, supported by tanks everywhere in their base. And that just scares me off of attacking their main.

Last game I played I continually scouted for expansions, cause I've experienced a lot of turtling players either take a hidden expansion, or just put a planetary on their natural.
This guy did both, but because I kept scouting I also denied every hidden expansion, which I thought would just dry up his bank while I took my third and gold (on Antiga shipyard). I tried to drop his main, but the many turrets and tanks prevented me doing that, I just couldnt approach. Tried to go to his natural, and he had a plannetary there with an oversaturated minneral line so he could repair all day.
So I backed off and kept scouting the map, and he just kep throwing forces at me (lots of ravens/banshees/tanks). My forces mostly got elliminated cause I didnt split right from his seeker missile and tanks. After a while he was able to get his third and secured it with two plannetaries so again, I was to afraid to attack. After 50 minutes I just got frustrated and quit.

After watching the replay, it turned out I had outplayed him at 11 - 12 minutes, I was at 150/200 supply, he was at 50/200.... but because I couldnt identify the supply difference was so high and he had his main so secured, I just did not attack, afraid to throw my army away. And the reason he could replenish his army was because in the beginning of the game, he did not macro very well and just build up a huge bank, which he could use later.

Oh, and I forgot my upgrades after 1/1 for some reason, which hurt me the most in the end.

Oh I know I should be dropping, thing is most Terrans in the lower leagues just put build massive turret rings, supported by tanks everywhere in their base. And that just scares me off of attacking their main.

Last game I played I continually scouted for expansions, cause I've experienced a lot of turtling players either take a hidden expansion, or just put a planetary on their natural.
This guy did both, but because I kept scouting I also denied every hidden expansion, which I thought would just dry up his bank while I took my third and gold (on Antiga shipyard). I tried to drop his main, but the many turrets and tanks prevented me doing that, I just couldnt approach. Tried to go to his natural, and he had a plannetary there with an oversaturated minneral line so he could repair all day.
So I backed off and kept scouting the map, and he just kep throwing forces at me (lots of ravens/banshees/tanks). My forces mostly got elliminated cause I didnt split right from his seeker missile and tanks. After a while he was able to get his third and secured it with two plannetaries so again, I was to afraid to attack. After 50 minutes I just got frustrated and quit.

After watching the replay, it turned out I had outplayed him at 11 - 12 minutes, I was at 150/200 supply, he was at 50/200.... but because I couldnt identify the supply difference was so high and he had his main so secured, I just did not attack, afraid to throw my army away. And the reason he could replenish his army was because in the beginning of the game, he did not macro very well and just build up a huge bank, which he could use later.

Oh, and I forgot my upgrades after 1/1 for some reason, which hurt me the most in the end.

Raven PDD is a good way to bypass a turret, you could also just seige up his outside his turret ring and just drop in the area you clear from the low ground.

You could also just go father down the line in tech than him. If he going mech go BC's, maruders then get a couple ravens for pdd,

Don't let stagnant defense stop you from harassing someone.

Also players that have a bank usually die after you start killing their production.

profit

Raven PDD is a good way to bypass a turret, you could also just seige up his outside his turret ring and just drop in the area you clear from the low ground.

You could also just go father down the line in tech than him. If he going mech go BC's, maruders then get a couple ravens for pdd,

Don't let stagnant defense stop you from harassing someone.

Also players that have a bank usually die after you start killing their production.
I tried sieging up outside his turret ring, but he accompanied his ring with his tanks, so I couldnt get near him.
I always forget about BC's, Ravens and Banshee's, thats another huge flaw.

I should just watch my replay's and note down everything I've done wrong and wright and review them a couple of times so that maybe they'll stick in my head for much longer.

Another thing I need working on in general is just raging, it's not that I get really mad at the game or my opponent, but just myself cause I want to get better and it's the stupid mistakes I make that can just infuriate me... I can live with it, I cool down after a few minutes; but my girlfriend is not really enjoying that I tend to get loud when I'm upset at myself.... Maybe I should pull an Idra and move away when a game starts to frustrate me and start fresh. Also stressballs ^^.

I tried sieging up outside his turret ring, but he accompanied his ring with his tanks, so I couldnt get near him.
I always forget about BC's, Ravens and Banshee's, thats another huge flaw.

I should just watch my replay's and note down everything I've done wrong and wright and review them a couple of times so that maybe they'll stick in my head for much longer.

Another thing I need working on in general is just raging, it's not that I get really mad at the game or my opponent, but just myself cause I want to get better and it's the stupid mistakes I make that can just infuriate me... I can live with it, I cool down after a few minutes; but my girlfriend is not really enjoying that I tend to get loud when I'm upset at myself.... Maybe I should pull an Idra and move away when a game starts to frustrate me and start fresh. Also stressballs ^^.

You should probably try posting some replays as well. I can guarantee that you aren't losing because of the lack of units like raven and BC. In fact i can guarantee that you aren't losing because of late game decisions at all.

Personally i would start off by trying to focus on the early to mid game. Forget about the late game stuff until you have that down.

profit

You should probably try posting some replays as well. I can guarantee that you aren't losing because of the lack of units like raven and BC. In fact i can guarantee that you aren't losing because of late game decisions at all.

Personally i would start off by trying to focus on the early to mid game. Forget about the late game stuff until you have that down.

Youre right, I know if I go to the late I get super stressed out and just do dumb shit. If I get an advantage early or mid game, I just dont take advantage of it, then something goes wrong and I just panick.

And you know what, you are also right about posting replays!

Starting today my goal is to at the least post one replay in here which you guys can break down!

fluffydelusions said:
Do I need WoL installed to play hots when it releases?

I dont know about installed, but I thought you at least need a WoL account.

profit

Profit's daily replay #1

First game of the day, just got home so I needed to warm up.

http://drop.sc/300484

TvZ

Big problems I made:
-not constantly producing scv's (although somehow I created 101 scv's this game)
-production facilities were not producing the entire time
-waaaaaaaay to few tanks
-too few medivacs
-too many marines
-too few marauders when I spotted the banes, kept producing marines
I did make extra rax with techlabs when I spotted roaches
-the idea to make a Raven to spot burrowed units (which cost me a lot) crossed my mind but I did not execute on it.
-did not follow up on upgrades, 1/1 was decent, but 2/2 and 3/3 were waaaay to late (I even thought I researched 3 armor when at very late in the game I noticed I didnt)
-WHEN EXPANDING BUILD GASSES
-expansions were waaaay too late
-when containing your opponent BUILD EXPANSIONS
-did not protect my expo's
-still a few supply blocks

Okay, thats about it what comes up in my head right after the game, will check the replay later.

Yoshichan

When does this season end?

Edit: That second game was much better. You still let him take a super 3rd early hatch and a 6 minute lair. I seen now that you do have a general plan which is good but i think your first pressure just hits a bit late. Try and work on getting something a little earlier than the 11 minute mark if possible.

Just remember that terran is the aggressive race, like was said on the last page you should be trying to bully your opponent. In this game he was happily making rounds of 15 drones at like the 8 minutes mark because he didn't feel pressured at all. That's not how you want a zerg to feel. Once you started putting pressure on his macro and whole game just crumbled.

Profit's daily replay #1

First game of the day, just got home so I needed to warm up.

http://drop.sc/300484

Before i look at any specifics i want to ask you this. What was your plan going into this game? Did you have a build order and a general game plan before hand? Personally i don't do that and just wing it but frankly it's a really bad way to play and you have to be really strong everywhere else to make up for it.

Your first attack didn't hit until like 11:30 into the game. That is far, far too late. The zerg you were facing had poor macro, creep spread, injects and no tech and he would have died to even the most basic of pressures. Try and pick a build order that incorporates some early pressure and i bet you will do so much better.

Anyway so onto more specific stuff in the replay. First off the general build, it's almost exactly how i play TvZ. The difference is i tend to open with 4 rax instead of 3. Then when i have a decent little marine force i move across the map (try and deny scouts with a few marines leading for towers) and i go to their 3rd. If you want you can time it with stim or combat shields (i prefer the latter).

Take this game for example. It took until the 10th minute for your opponent to get speed, 1/0 and to connect creep to his 3rd. Meanwhile you have 20+ marines sitting at home. You could have easily sniped his 3rd or at the very least put on a ton of pressure.

Anyway so next up is engagements, particularly the first one which will often time lose you games if it's that bad. Against ling bling you want to avoid letting them get a complete surround and maybe kite a little bit. Think about where you are engaging. For example walking up that choke with blings out could have been devastating. I would have went to the 3rd. Also don't forget that you can pick up and leave that early in the game, he had no anti air.

If you are going to wait for medivacs to attack maybe you should try doing a drop. Put one behind the main mineral line and one in the 3rd and let him react. Even in diamond most zergs still one hotkey their army and you will be making them work hard. Take that opportunity to expand back at home.

Ok now to your macro. Your scv count was surprisingly good for a gold player. However your 3rd was simply way to late. There is no point having 80 scvs sitting around on 2 bases. Furthermore you need to learn to transfer your scvs. A couple of minutes after your 3rd went up you had 33 scvs mining 2 patches in your main. You had enough scvs to be on 4 base but effectively your economy may as well have been 1 base.

Basically i think your big problem is aggression. After his big second attack which you demolished you were up by like 50 supply. You could have crushed him easily but instead you were just sending the occasional medivac out. Instead next time try this. Send one medivac behind his main (maybe another to a different base if you can handle that) and whilst that's going on move you main army towards his natural or 3rd and get yourself sieged up. If you can handle it at our level it can be fantastic.

Late game i did like your constant pushing but when you let your opponent mass enough money to build infestors 17 at a time it's probably to late.

I don't think you look like a gold player at all, you just need to be more decisive. I could have slapped you at the end there where you were up by like 100 supply and let him max out off like 1 hatch.

Oh and upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

Top Bottom