• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield $7 DLC Quest can be finished in 20 minutez

Draugoth

Gold Member
dfc0b782c6f78a5d4e3e0a0d50bc5f26.jpg

The first paid DLC for Bethesda's big space RPG is overpriced, paltry, and emphasizes the game's lifelessness

Every “challenge” in this quest, which I finished in about 20 minutes (more powerful builds, I suspect, could clear this in half that time, if not less), just consists of mowing people down. But at least it tries to inject some personality into its very brief runtime.

It’s not even a question of whether or not “The Vulture” is worth seven dollars. Starfield itself is not worth investing seven dollars in right now, and based on the review bombing the game has recently suffered on Steam, it’s obvious that a lot of folks feel this way.

via Kotaku

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Any Starfield defenders willing to justify this?
She suspects it can be cleared in 10 minutes if you're leveled up. It's literally just lying, but go ahead and get your reviews from Kotaku. I certainly wont stop you. Oh and she thinks the whole game of Starfield is not worth $7. Sounds like a really rational take there.

I think it's fair to critique the pricing. It's too much. But as far as the quests themselves, I thought they were fun and the rewards were pretty good too.

NickFire

Don't listen to Kotaku MS. Lots of PS5 players will give you $7 for the game.

But jokes aside, did Kotaku purge the people who (in my opinion) thought the danger hair crowd were all that mattered? I followed the link and checked out their home page. The top articles look, dare I say, like normal gaming articles.

Sybrix

If you're level 100 then you will smash thourgh any mission quickly.

My annoyance is the fact were in a world now where $7 is for a quest.... they should be fucking free!

LordCBH

This is the type of content that should just be added to the game at no extra cost. Is this quest line worth a 10th of the price of the game? Absolutely not.

Punished Miku

This is the type of content that should just be added to the game at no extra cost. Is this quest line worth a 10th of the price of the game? Absolutely not.
I'm totally down for getting new factions, and paying for it. But this isn't the way to do it. If they are going to do annual story expansions, just put it in there completed.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Imagine calling this "DLC". Clickmasterbait.

'downloadable content: additional content that can be purchased online and added on to a video game, as to enhance its features.'

What sets these apart from that dictionary definition of DLC?

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

'downloadable content: additional content that can be purchased online and added on to a video game, as to enhance its features.'

That is a paid mod not oficial/made by Bethesda.

BlackTron

Idk, maybe the way people use the phrase in real life? edit: turns out this does include what we would colloquially refer to as DLC content, from the developer.

Last edited:

Nydius

That's a bit misleading calling it the "first paid DLC."

No it isn't.

It's new content, created and sold by Bethesda themselves, to expand the game. That it's being sold through the Creation Club menu is irrelevant

A single mission by the game's creators being sold for 1/10th the original retail price of the entire game. How is that not "DLC"?

clarky

Gold Member
No it isn't.

It's new content, created and sold by Bethesda themselves, to expand the game. That it's being sold through the Creation Club menu is irrelevant

A single mission by the game's creators being sold for 1/10th the original retail price of the entire game. How is that not "DLC"?
At least its a step up from Horse armour lol. baby steps..........

Last edited:

Punished Miku

A single mission by the game's creators being sold for 1/10th the original retail price of the entire game.
Technically it's 2 missions, and a new mission board for the lower level "radiant AI" bounties, a new space suit, and 2 new gun types (one of them being basically my new favorite gun). It's not earth shattering, but it was fun enough. It's just definitely overpriced.

Last edited:

Kazdane

Didn't we want shorter games?
Got You Prank GIF by CBS

J/K. 7$ for a 20 minute quest is nuts. Whatever were they thinking when they decided to set that price...

Puscifer

Don't listen to Kotaku MS. Lots of PS5 players will give you $7 for the game.

But jokes aside, did Kotaku purge the people who (in my opinion) thought the danger hair crowd were all that mattered? I followed the link and checked out their home page. The top articles look, dare I say, like normal gaming articles.
Patricia Hernandez was outed to go in a different direction. FWIW early 2010s Kotaku was pretty cool, I liked reading it and despite what people say sure there was a clickbait article a couple times a time to drive traffic but it wasn't any better or worse than most sites in that regard.

My annoyance is the fact we’re in a world now where $7 is for a quest.... they should be fucking free!
This is the world where people paid $30 for an expansion that we still know almost nothing about and does not have a release date. It’s been 11 months.

danklord

Gold Member
Randomly I decided to play this last night and was presented with this questline. I think I got it for free because I bought the premium edition? I thought it was kind of a cool questline in the abstract of not knowing about this drama or really giving a shit about internet opinion. Was way more interesting than continuing the story with Sam Coe.

No it isn't.

If this were sold in the Xbox store, sure. It's obviously released as a way to get Creation Club content going. Pricing is wrong, though.

Nydius

If this were sold in the Xbox store, sure. It's obviously released as a way to get Creation Club content going. Pricing is wrong, though.

This is called “splitting hairs”. It’s additional content being sold independently of the game. Where it’s being sold is irrelevant. It’s additional paid content. Also known as DLC.

You can try to mental gymnastics it however you want, it doesn’t change the fact that it is, in fact, the first paid DLC for the game.

Last edited:

Fess

Bethesda may not have made this content but they made the paid mod store that allows this overpriced trash in the first place.
The article makes it sound like it’s two mods but I only see one with vulture in the title, the trackers alliance mod, and it says that Bethesda is the author.

Anyway it’s easily ignored, there are thousands of free mods. Hopefully Bethesda lower the price though so they aren’t setting the bar this high for professional modders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom