• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Here’s my current ship:

F5RZuU6aQAAG_zV

That's a cute little ship you have there. You better pray to your God that we won't meet in the darkness of space...

Here's my ship:

ApGQUFl.jpg

Stats:

YMCAY9O.png

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Starfield at times feels like it was developed by two teams and then they were asked near release date to mash them together. Almost as if they had much bigger plans in mind but due to time constraints or hardware limitations they had to make a lot of compromises. Not sure if patches can fix some of the more glaring issues, but modders certainly have been killing it with support since early access. I don't say this to start any sort of "war", but I think PC is the only place where Starfield will thrive and grow closer to what expectations might have been pre-launch, but this was to be expected.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
While this is likely my Game of the Generation, it does have its faults, or choices I’d had like made.

I would like the option to eat food on pick up, instead of only being able to “take” it.

I wish there was a way to see ship interiors when building a ship.

There really should be a FOV slider. I don’t normally mess with it, but I would for this game. It would make first person feel much better.

GymWolf

Gold Member
While this is likely my Game of the Generation, it does have its faults, or choices I’d had like made.

I would like the option to eat food on pick up, instead of only being able to “take” it.

I wish there was a way to see ship interiors when building a ship.

There really should be a FOV slider. I don’t normally mess with it, but I would for this game. It would make first person feel much better.
If you are on pc, it's super easy to change fov.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If you are on pc, it's dirty easy to change fov.
I’m on Series X. I had to quit PC gaming. It was a struggle for me. Knowing there’s always new tech releasing making mine feel obsolete (in my head). This is a “me” problem. And so I wouldn’t enjoy a game if it wasn’t maxed out.

Consoles don’t have that affect on me. I just accept the tech for what they are and play on.

I'm batman(girl)
uQK7a2v.jpg

Caught a cool shot of a ship coming in while looking at my own ship from this ledge
EFbYzfY.jpg

The side/faction quests in this game are pretty much 20€ games all by themselves, almost done with the Ryujin one and it's been a blast, got a really awesome pistol midway through it as well.

Polygon (yes that polygon) has a decent guide for newcomers. The guide even have some out of the way planets that have settlements and quests.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Question about New Atlantis shop near the spaceport.

It’s call Jemison Mercintile or something along those lines. When can I actually start shopping there? The owner is around sweeping, but there’s no one behind the counter to talk to.

twilo99

Gold Member
Also, keep in mind that this game can be played on sub $300 hardware available at Walmart or whatever, no need to go out spending thousands on a PC build. Of course, lower quality, but 100% playable.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Question about New Atlantis shop near the spaceport.

It’s call Jemison Mercintile or something along those lines. When can I actually start shopping there? The owner is around sweeping, but there’s no one behind the counter to talk to.
I've always been able to shop there lol. Weird.

twilo99

Gold Member
This might be the first game that I’ve ever used photo mode more than once.

F5RUYudasAEtoXr

F5RUbUIaMAA-OZ1

No matter how many times you use photo mode, she won't put out.. might be camera shy, although from my experience that's usually a turn on lol so the game is def lacking in realism there

Roberts

My GOTY and it is not even close. If I had a better memory and could remember how it felt playing my favourite games then I probably would have doubts, but right now it feels like one of the very best games I had the pleasure of playing. Just mind blowing, monumental achievement despite a few kinks here and there. It will be hard to move on to other games after this. Also, it feels like a cliche by now, but whenever I can’t play the game, I keep thinking about it pretty much all the time. And it hasn’t really happened with any other game before. Hail Todd, I guess.

twilo99

Gold Member
That's a cute little ship you have there. You better pray to your God that we won't meet in the darkness of space...

Here's my ship:

ApGQUFl.jpg

Stats:

YMCAY9O.png

Did you build that thing?

I wish there was a way to buy/sell ships between players because I would buy it from you lol

Punished Miku

I got another ship last night. It's so huge I don't even have enough credits to register it yet lol. Parking that one for a while.

twilo99

Gold Member
Game is so freaking strange. On one hand, it's fun and can look amazing and you can have a string of awesome events occur seemingly organically and it really makes the experience. On the other hand, you have some of the largest oversights conceivable. UI is absurdly clunky. Important information straight up doesn't exist in the game. No maps for major cities is...I don't even know what to say about that. It's fucking bad. Don't even get me started on the encumbrance issue.

The xbox series s factor...

It is, after all, an xss game lol

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Did you build that thing?

I wish there was a way to buy/sell ships between players because I would buy it from you lol

I've used ship called Shieldbreaker as a base, you can buy it from New Atlantis shipyard. But let's say it's been modified a little bit... Anyway, this was just a 'joke' ship, I'm not gonna fly it. Back to ship builder to edit it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
There's normally an assistant hanging around the shop floor, nobody ever behind the counter, not from my experience anyways.
I only see the owner and customers. I heard that store was great too, for resources.

I remember in some videos people saying npc’s would start floating away. I’ll look up the next time I’m in town.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Might be a bug then. My first one.

Still no crashes either.
I've had 2 minor bugs so far. One I thought a quest was bugged, but it wasn't really. The marker was pointing me to step 4 instead of step 3, so I ignored that and was still able to do it fine. One time when scanning I also got the "biome complete" tag pop up when there was 1 thing left in that biome. I was still able to scan it and complete it fine but that can throw you off for sure.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
One time when scanning I also got the "biome complete" tag pop up when there was 1 thing left in that biome. I was still able to scan it and complete it fine but that can throw you off for sure.

I think this happens when you need to scan fauna that lives in the water. Happened to me once as well. Just land close to coast and scan away!

Top Bottom