• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Fess

I did a side quest last night that was probably the best one yet, nothing about the main progression but not sure I should talk about it anyway since people might click on a spoiler tag by mistake. I can say this, don’t dodge the side content!
They did stumble on some details but it’s nice to know Bethesda can still write cool stuff, interesting setup and execution. 👌

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m m not mistaken right, there’s no real way to see the interior of a ship before you buy one, or in the ship builder?

oji-san

Banned
Can you manual save? I will only have about an hour and a half playing tonight before going to sleep.. not sure if i should start..

I'm VERY close to selling my PS5 and buying a series x 🤔🤔

I can't have both and I'm slowly getting sick of Sony upping prices of its services while not releasing a lot of games I'm actually interested in.
Its annoying as I'm sure sony will eventually have games I want but the thought of a series X with gamepass (Starfield included now) is tempting

Hmmmm not sure what to do 😢🤔😂

She spent 7 hours flying to Pluto. So it’s doable, but you still can’t actually land on it.
This is probably the only good content she's ever made.
I guess mods that increase the ships speed would allow testing her other things, like flying to other orbits/the star or even systems.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm VERY close to selling my PS5 and buying a series x 🤔🤔

I can't have both and I'm slowly getting sick of Sony upping prices of its services while not releasing a lot of games I'm actually interested in.
Its annoying as I'm sure sony will eventually have games I want but the thought of a series X with gamepass (Starfield included now) is tempting

Hmmmm not sure what to do 😢🤔😂
You could always try to save up for an S and keep both.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE: Terromorph

That was a good, tense, mission. Very "Alien"-esque, right down to a faux motion tracker.

I ended up taking it out myself cause it caught my tail, before I could activate the gun-alley.

naguanatak

Excellent OT 👌

Amazing game. 40 hours in, 22 hours into 2nd character.

This thing will probably replace No Man's Sky for me as the go to game. Will miss seamless planet-to-space transition(and VR of course), but after playing 40hours, I really don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
Dogfighting is very fun, combat feels nice (although 1st person is a must for me, which is odd since I rarely, if ever, play shooters and always chose 3rd over 1st if I have the option).
Art Design is top notch, I understand what they were going for with 'Nasa Punk'. They nailed it.
Sound/Music is very fitting. Wandering around with the atmospheric sounds and soft background music reminds me of serene Star Wars moments. And the sound design for ships and scanning is very 'satisfying' for me.
Haven't done much of the main quest. With the first character I mostly played 'action side missions' and explored outposts etc, with the second character I played the first 10 hours roughly questing without firing a single bullet. Felt like two completely different games.
I like the dialogues (although BG3 feels more natural and better written) and the quests themselves are a lot of fun.
Finding stuff like Grandma or The Constant or the Mantis Quest is bringing back Fallout 3 vibes visiting Rivet City for the first time. Infact, most of the game feels like that for me, which is brilliant.

I wouldn't be able to review Starfield.
It's absolutely a 10/10 for me. Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but the flaws or bad parts and my nitpicks do not matter at all. The positives outweigh the negatives ten to one.
Something like this comes once in a decade for me.
In short: I'm in love, honeymoon period be damned. Standard for me is 30hours, then I feel like I need variety, a change in setting etc. The only other game where this happened after a couple hundred hours was No Man's Sky, so let's see how much Starfield I have to play til this feeling comes up 😎

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
RE: Terromorph

That was a good, tense, mission. Very "Alien"-esque, right down to a faux motion tracker.

I ended up taking it out myself cause it caught my tail, before I could activate the gun-alley.
I’ve killed two of them on two different planets, just randomly. Strong fuckers. No mission lead me to them though. I remember a base I was at, or maybe a space station, mentioned a test subject killing people and escaping. I think it was on that moon you explore early to kill some pirates after getting the ship.

adamsapple

I’ve killed two of them on two different planets, just randomly. Strong fuckers. No mission lead me to them though. I remember a base I was at, or maybe a space station, mentioned a test subject killing people and escaping. I think it was on that moon you explore early to kill some pirates after getting the ship.

If you've started the Vanguard / UC faction quest line, it's the second mission that leads you to it in that questline. That was my first intro to them. I haven't ran across one randomly on a planet so far.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If you've started the Vanguard / UC faction quest line, it's the second mission that leads you to it in that questline. That was my first intro to them. I haven't ran across one randomly on a planet so far.
I was surveying a planet, and it was at one of the points of interest.

adamsapple

Is it possible to straight up buy components that are needed to do weapon upgrades, instead of finding or 'creating' them ?

Riky

$MSFT
Massive Fallout fan but I think this is the best RPG I've ever played, yes better than New Vegas even. I'll have to play longer to see if it's the best game I've ever played but it's going to be in the conversation at least.
Just amazing, just landing on Charon and Pluto and discovering the environment felt amazing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Massive Fallout fan but I think this is the best RPG I've ever played, yes better than New Vegas even. I'll have to play longer to see if it's the best game I've ever played but it's going to be in the conversation at least.
Just amazing, just landing on Charon and Pluto and discovering the environment felt amazing.
It's better than Morrowind. That sentence was unthinkable for me to type just a few days ago.

XXL

I've started playing this since yesterday. It has a slew of annoying issues, but is still pretty good so far.

It's quite similar (so far) to FO4, but in space.

I didn't like FO4 that much, but the setting here is much better in my opinion.

adamsapple

Y'all, do this before it gets fixed in a patch lol.

I just did it and it works.

Not a Legendary suit like the Mantis outfit, but its base stats are higher.

image-3.png

Last edited:

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'd miss the family mission by just fast traveling everywhere, it's a really cool space battle romp which just completely disappears if you never travel in space.
I only fast travel if it's really just the most convenient thing when you have to go back and forth between a place.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Small tip: if you are in orbit inside your ship and you have your cargo and inventory full and you just wanna sell everything fast before starting a new quest or whatever, just talk with the other ships around you, you can sell them stuff, they usually have 1000 to 2000 space dollars so you may have to contact multiple ships to sell everything.

It was a life saver yesterday because i had like 200 kg of stuff on me, the fucking pneumonia state, and the yellow terminal was without money, it was selling to ships or bringing my out of breath ass to some far away shop that is of course impossible to notice thanks to no map...

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I destroy locks. You're leaving XP on the table.
Yep, I see a Lock to pick and its drop everything, ask the guys im fighting with to hang on for a bit, get Sarah to stop being so clingy and pick away! Im like a fly to shit when there's a digipick involved.

Few hours of work and i'll have the back of the shift free to dive back in.

Last edited:

nikos

Got Security to Level 2 before doing a mission so that I could loot some specific safes.

Got halfway through the mission only to realize that my Security was back to Level 1.

Now I don't have enough digipicks to level it back up. Thanks, Bethesda.

Romulus

Some people are already getting this running in VR. Still, a ways to go but looks like it'll be sooner than later. Can't fucking wait.

clarky

Gold Member
Got Security to Level 2 before doing a mission so that I could loot some specific safes.

Got halfway through the mission only to realize that my Security was back to Level 1.

Now I don't have enough digipicks to level it back up. Thanks, Bethesda.
Just fast travel to a shop and back, Digi picks are available pretty much everywhere, including corpses.

Top Bottom