• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Bro thinks I can't see him
IRE4wBL.jpg

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Close to 50 hours.

Safe to say it’s my GOTY over AC6 and Zelda.

The fun is always there every time I play. Can’t wait to dive in again after work.

Only real contender for me is Spider-Man 2. Possible last second GOTY sweep?
My current top 5 for 2023:
  1. Starfield
  2. Zelda TotK
  3. Hi-Fi Rush
  4. Bayonetta: Origins
  5. Wanted: Dead
Octopath Traveler 2 got bumped off. Based on the first couple hours of Sea of Stars also, it will likely be in my top 10. Still a lot I need to play.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  1. Starfield
  2. Zelda TotK
  3. Hi-Fi Rush
Octopath Traveler 2 got bumped off. Based on the first couple hours of Sea of Stars also, it will likely be in my top 10. Still a lot I need to play.

If we're making lists, here's mine:

1. Starfield
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Dead Space
  4. Hi-Fi Rush
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Still haven't played Diablo IV, Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 4, TotK, Balder's Gate 3, Sea of Stars, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, Avatar, Spider-Man 2, Cocoon, Super Mario Bros Wonder, or Phantom Liberty yet though, so lot's can change.

What a fucking year lol.

Punished Miku

1. Starfield
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Dead Space
  4. Hi-Fi Rush

Still haven't played Diablo IV, Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 4, TotK, Balder's Gate 3, Sea of Stars, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, Avatar, Spider-Man 2, Cocoon, Super Mario Bros Wonder, or Phantom Liberty yet though, so lot's can change.

What a fucking year lol.
Yeah it's nuts the amount of stuff I still want to play this year.

Cdbaksul

Neo Member
Great OT and game of the decade for me, just like Fallout 4 (to a lesser extent nonetheless), Skyrim, and Oblivion before it.

The more I play Starfield the more all the initial criticisms fade away. I can't wait to delve deeper and am looking forward to discovering little secrets even ten years from now.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think Starfield is what I always wanted from Mass Effect.
That's a good way of putting it. The meat of this game is like Bethesda's take on Mass Effect, but with all the extra sides of ship building, base building, skill customization, space combat, and much, much more. This game is godly. A dream come true.
I mix constantly between both. 3rd for exploration and platforming and sneaking. 1st for aiming, shooting, looting.
This is where I ended up, too. 3rd person is awesome for wandering around, especially in places like Neon. Then you can switch to 1st person for combat. I've settled on 3rd person for space combat.

Beat the story last night. It's a solid story overall but I had a very good idea of the direction it was going from the very beginning, believe it or not, thanks to a secret in the very first part of the game: there's a breakable wall to a small cave and tucked in the corner is a certain object...

Started up NG+ but I think I'm going to skip the main story this time... there's only one main quest that I thought was exceptional, in all honesty (Entangled). But I'll lose out on all that quest XP... decisions, decisions...

clarky

Gold Member
Beat the story last night. It's a solid story overall but I had a very good idea of the direction it was going from the very beginning, believe it or not, thanks to a secret in the very first part of the game: there's a breakable wall to a small cave and tucked in the corner is a certain object...

Started up NG+ but I think I'm going to skip the main story this time... there's only one main quest that I thought was exceptional, in all honesty (Entangled). But I'll lose out on all that quest XP... decisions, decisions...
Out of curiosity how long do you have on the clock? I'm taking you mainlined it for the most part?

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The ship I got from finishing the Freestar ranger questline is an absolute beast, absolutely stuffed with modules I can’t buy or upgrade on their own because there’re too high level in the ship upgrade perk...although I did stuff 2 extra engines in for some extra oomf.

It’s nice to see a bit of skip ahead if you don’t go all in right away on the perks.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Omg

I’m having my first feeling of wanting to start over with a different build. I’m already 40 hours into my current build.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

1. Starfield
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Dead Space
  4. Hi-Fi Rush

What a fucking year lol.

I have played every release I think? Major release that is.

My list I think is:

Starfield
AC6
Zelda ToTK
Diablo 4
RE4 Remake
BG3
Wanted Dead
Street Fighter 6
Sea of Stars (really good so far)
Dredge
Wild hearts
Wo Long

Not sure if I missed any ?

Biggest disappointment is FF16. Will go back to it at some point same with Jedi Survivor.

Stuart360

Christ i just went in the review thread and its like the 'Next Generation Speculation' thread Mk 2. Just a cesspit echo chamber of shitposting.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway i havent been able to play for 2 days but back to it tomorrow, maybe a little tonight too. Its going to be glorious this weekend though!.:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Out of curiosity how long do you have on the clock?
I think around 40 hours? I'll double check when I get home.
Edit: Yep, I was right on the money. But my save file's time doesn't account for reloads so in actuality it's a bit longer.
I'm taking you mainlined it for the most part?
Nah, I was playing normally for the first 30+ hours or so but at a certain point in the story, I decided to stuck with the MSQ because I wanted to know what happened next. I also made the effort to collect all of the powers, which took a few hours as well.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Christ i just went in the review thread and its like the 'Next Generation Speculation' thread Mk 2. Just a cesspit echo chamber of shitposting.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway i havent been able to play for 2 days but back to it tomorrow, maybe a little tonight too. Its going to be glorious this weekend though!.:messenger_sunglasses:

Yeah, stay away from that thread. It's a bunch of people pretending to be disappointed in a game they haven't played and never intended to play in the first place.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I have played every release I think? Major release that is.

My list I think is:

Starfield
AC6
Zelda ToTK
Diablo 4
RE4 Remake
BG3
Wanted Dead
Street Fighter 6
Sea of Stars (really good so far)
Dredge
Wild hearts
Wo Long

Not sure if I missed any ?

Biggest disappointment is FF16. Will go back to it at some point same with Jedi Survivor.
Hogwarts Legacy would be one major release…It was super early in the year though so it’s easy to unconsciously think of it as a release from last year.

I’d place Starfield at the top of my list too though. I’ve basically lived in it over the weekend, and I’m not even close to finishing. I can’t say that about any other game this year, even Diablo 4 it was kinda grind 40 hours get burnt out, then just play a few times a week. This after 40 hours I just want to dive back in any time I’m away from it.

Interfectum

1. Starfield
  2. Zelda TotK
  3. Hi-Fi Rush
Great list! Here is mine no one asked for:
1. BG3
2. Zelda: TotK
3. Dave the Diver

The rest didn't make the cut. Potential top 5 candidates:
MK1
Mario RPG
Mario Wonder
Sea of Stars

Overall I love this year.

Roberts

Even though I did a side quest here and there, I mostly stuck to the main story, but now I have to go to a lvl40 star system so I think it’s time for me do something else for a while. Thinking about Crimson Fleet infiltration quest line - it sounds fun.

Also, did anyone meet a lonely woman who’s ripping off pages from Pride and Prejudice to learn making origami? That was cute and funny encounter.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm just mad that the thread title isn't "No Man's Skyrim".

Anyway, excited to try this out tomorrow! Does anyone know when it unlocks for Game Pass?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Even though I did a side quest here and there, I mostly stuck to the main story, but now I have to go to a lvl40 star system so I think it’s time for me do something else for a while. Thinking about Crimson Fleet infiltration quest line - it sounds fun.
Thats what i love about Bethesda rpg's, you can do what you want in what order you want. I always leave the main questline to the end, if i even end up doing it at all as Bethesda rpg's to me are all about the side content.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Hogwarts Legacy would be one major release…It was super early in the year though so it’s easy to unconsciously think of it as a release from last year.

I’d place Starfield at the top of my list too though. I’ve basically lived in it over the weekend, and I’m not even close to finishing. I can’t say that about any other game this year, even Diablo 4 it was kinda grind 40 hours get burnt out, then just play a few times a week. This after 40 hours I just want to dive back in any time I’m away from it.

I should’ve clarified the list was what I enjoyed haha. I only pointed out ff16 and Jedi because I planned to return to them but I left them in the dust — same with Hogwarts. Hogwarts I don’t plan to go back to. The pacing in that game was abysmal . Same issue as FF16 actually but at least 16 had some really high points and engaging story that I would be willing to try again.

I don’t have it in me to continue Hogwarts. Even outside of pacing the overall side quests are just so dull and repetitive that they may as well not exist. After my 30th flying page pulled in I was over collecting them.

——

I didn’t expect starfield to the best game of this year for me, but quite high. Achieving GOTY to me when the first 10 hours I planned to drop it is a testament to that old argument about game design in regards to “I shouldn’t have to play X hours for a game to get good. It should be good from the jump.”

This game to me is the ultimate testament to the more time you put in the better and better it gets.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
  1. Starfield
  2. Zelda TotK
  3. Hi-Fi Rush
Damn, is Bayo Origins really that good??

Punished Miku

Damn, is Bayo Origins really that good??
I think so, but I think I'm one of like 3 people on here who played it. Fantastic game. It's been on sale at many retailers for $30 already if you're interested. It's like Brothers + El Shaddai / Okami art style + a few sprinkles of Zelda and Platinum Games.

Stuart360

4 hours until it officially launches. Can't wait for the fireworks. The Steam forums have been nothing but woke, woke, woke, woke, refund since Thursday.
I'll be surprised if this time tomorrow reviews are higher than 'mixed'. Games that are very demanding to run always get a ton of negative reviews on Steam. Plus Sony fanboys from Reddit are supposedly going to review bomb the game, and they probably will after seeing what mess they made of the Steam forums.

The score will stabalize over time though, and a year from now i'd ecpect it to be 'positive' or 'very positve', especially as the mods will be flowing by then.

Top Bottom