• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anchovie123

So the gist im getting is that the hand crafted story stuff is great and is typical Bethesda awesomeness but the procedural generated and exploration stuff is worse then No mans sky?

Roufianos

Xbox metacritic publisher of the year 2023 confirmed.

Btw 46,1% of people who voted in the poll thought this game would be a 90+ MC game. So most of you can stop pretending that the game met your expectations.
They know who they are.

The fact you quoted your own stupid post 😂 Grow the fuck up dude, you're not delivering ownage because people predicted wrong, you're just making yourself look like a petty fanboy.

FunkMiller

So the gist im getting is that the hand crafted story stuff is great and is typical Bethesda awesomeness but the procedural generated and exploration stuff is worse then No mans sky?

Seems to be the case. They shouldn’t have sold it as this big, expansive space exploration game. It’s an RPG set in a series of locations with fast travel between them.

By most counts, a very solid 8/8.5 out of ten game. Perfect for GamePass.

Last edited:

solidus12

For the people that think Starfield as an exclusive is a failure due to the MC score, are these games a failure also? Because I enjoyed them A LOT, so if Starfield is close to them I will be more than happy.
6yteD9Y.jpg
Thing is, we were promised a game of the generation with Starfield. Xbox shills, influencers, and fanboys were hyping it up so much. Some notorious warriors like Colt said that Starfield will break PlayStation. That’s the problem. The reality was no match for the hype it garnered:

Yeah 'invisible walls'/limited boundaries for each planet/area and no vehicles in Starfield makes NMS leagues ahead in this aspect.

I'm shocked that there are no speeders, jet bikes, off-terrain vehicles but the small environments makes this a bit less of an issue as you jet pack around.

Codeblew

If TLoU 3 scores an 87 we might see the biggest review thread ever. Same goes for any major nintendo IP. Some games just have higher expectations than others. Have you not seen all the "what are you going to eat while playing starfield" and other threads like that?
TLOU2 should have gotten less than an 87, so I wouldn't be surprised. ND isn't what they used to be.

BbMajor7th

Thing is, we were promised a game of the generation with Starfield. Xbox shills, influencers, and fanboys were hyping it up so much. Some notorious warriors like Colt said that Starfield will break PlayStation. That’s the problem. The reality was no match for the hype it garnered:
Made me feel genuinely sorry for BGS - hell of a lot of pressure to live up to. Phil even said 'there's no world in which Starfield is an 11/10' and yet the community was still like 'oh, yes there is: most anticipated game of all time, GOTG contender'.

Game looks to be really good. BGS can be damned proud of that, but there's a difference between 'good' and 'legendary'. It's a hard bar to exceed and no one should expect to punch that high by default. A studio is lucky if they do it once, BGS have done it two or three times already - they'll maybe do it again with TESVI. Only time will tell.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
checked some other reviews and the conclusion is that IGN review is just absolute ridiculous
All their complaints seem genuine and objective.

pZxawrV.jpg

• Disjointed space travel? Yes, this is true. The space travel is disjointed by loading screens and not seamless as it's mostly done by clicking buttons on a menu screen.
  • Nonexistent maps? This is also true. There is no map in the game.
  • Inventory management? Although this is more subjective, other reviewers have also complained about this.
  • Slow rollout of essential abilities? This is also true as nothing much happens in the first 10-12 hours, when the main storyline can be finished within 18-20 hours. The base-building mechanics also become an actual part of the gameplay experience after 50-60 hours.

checked some other reviews and the conclusion is that IGN review is just absolute ridiculous

Wait until you see Gamespot/Eurogamer/the rest of the outcast sites' review scores. Gamespot in particular, their previews were very negative (hence why they were excluded from review copy). What we are seeing is the most positive (including shill) Xbox site reviews. We need to wait for the full picture before making any conclusion.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
TlDwaaY.jpg
3RfcQhI.jpg
jruI5yn.jpg

Everybody even used the same wordings. I blame influencers for overhyping Starfield and making it nearly impossible for it to meet expectations. Poor Bethesda.

Last edited:

Zathalus

On the contrary, too many of the perfect 10 scores have come from countless Xbox shill sites looking at the MC page.

I would even wager If this was on all platforms and not published by MS, it would have gotten 80-85, but we won't be far off that upper range when all the reviews come in.
What about the PC metacritic score? A grand total one one shill site and sitting at a 88 score.

Also, are PS shill sites fine? I assume you waltz into all of those review threads and bitch about them as well?

Last edited:
Wait until you see Gamespot/Eurogamer/the rest of the outcast sites' review scores. Gamespot in particular, their previews were very negative (hence why they were excluded from review copy). What we are seeing is the most positive (including shill) Xbox site reviews. We need to wait for the full picture before making any conclusion.
Gamespot already gave it a 7/10, they got their review copy.

MY7uIyg.png

I agree that once sites like Eurogamer get their hands on it they won't be kind to it either. I expect the Metacritic to drop even more.

feynoob

Banned
Gamespot review seems shit.
Good: Discovery planet is novel.
Bad: underwhelming vision of space exploration and humanity space faring future.

The good and bad of quest is shit review too.

Like why are you saying it's good, then going back and say it's dumb? Are you doing 180* on your reviews?
Map navigation being tough is bad?

I am sorry, but this makes no sense.

feynoob

Banned
Anyway, this is Bethesda game.
If you like their previous games, you will like this game. If you hate it, you won't like this game.

We are stuck with creation engine and it's limitations. I wish they ditched it and focus more on new engine.

Hopefully kids will fix whatever people are complaining about.

feynoob

Banned
MS published the game, it doesn't matter if the shills played the Xbox or PC version surely.
Flash news, reviews are just paid actors.
You won't get honest reviews, because those people make money reviewing those games.

They essentially give good reviews in hopes of getting more review codes.

Unless your game is bad like redfall, you won't get low score that much from outlets. Because they don't want to sour their relationships with those companies.

It's why I don't rely on reviews and watch gameplay. Much better review than writing it down and giving it score.

Finally, the review is based on their opinion. You won't have the same experience as them. General audience won't have the same feelings as those reviewers.

Conclusion, reviews means nothing. Watch actual gameplays if you want to know if a game is good or not.

What is even the point of discussing scores if we're going to disregard positive scores as chills and only accept bad scores as "good"?

Don't try to twist it I never said that.

My point was a fair few of the big sites like IGN, Gamespot, PC Gamer etc have given 7/10 yet sites like XboxAddict, GeneracionXbox, XboxEra and others weighed in with 10/10. I think you get this to a greater degree with XGS titles but you're welcome to believe whatever you want.

Now usually I dont enjoy Kinda Funny reviews but this discussion was based. Blessing pretty much said its a Beth game from 2015 is really the crux of the issue. We had so much progress in open world genre that when its just we go bigger than before it kinda brought the hype back down.
Still gonna enjoy the shit out of it because its a lovechild of mass effect and fallout.

The more I play the more silly reviews that give 7's seem to be. If you read IGN final summary alone you'd think it got at least an 8.5. I.mean you played the game for 60+ hours and are saying it's pulling you back in for more, that doesn't sound like a 7 game to me.

It seems some expectations of a bigger exploration game have affected the score. On its own it's a solid 8 game but the hype, pedigree of the devs and shortcomings/less scope have disappointed some overall.

It's a good foundation for a follow up 9/10 game.

StueyDuck

For the people that think Starfield as an exclusive is a failure due to the MC score, are these games a failure also? Because I enjoyed them A LOT, so if Starfield is close to them I will be more than happy.
6yteD9Y.jpg
is this console warz?

people getting upset at a game getting 80 are moronic... but ummm yeah. i think more games than just playstation games exist

SkylineRKR

When more rival outlets comment on the same shortcomings there might be merit in it. The cons Gamespot lists are pretty bad if true. I hoped for exploration and solid RPG mechanics. It seems the game lacks both.

Same problem that Titanfall had

I legit felt bad for the Titanfall devs, the game wasn't bad, it just wasn't the Savior of Xbox like it was hyped up to be. Fortunately, they went on to make Apex Legends and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor so they are doing fine AM (After Microsoft)

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Bought it, played for an hour, mann, whats with these utter shitty hair cuts for women, and pro nouns? Come the fuck on Beth..

The frame rate on the series X is a bit rough too but... the game as a whole seems brilliant. I forsee many hours of my old age lost to it

Glad to help.

feynoob

Banned
Console fanboys ruins shit for everybody.

Game should have been game of the generation. But that twat creation engine exist. It's why you get tons of loading screen and boundary limitations. It's not good for big epic space game.

It would have been a different conversation, if it was only on 1 big map.

At least the game will look massively different when those mods drop.

feynoob

Banned
8/10 ain't so bad. Does it feel anything like Fallout 3/4/76 in terms of gameplay and what you can do in the world?

Currently still hooked on Fallout 76.

6vDxFPD.jpg
It's miles better than fall out.
It's better to watch YouTube gameplay of the game to reach conclusions.
From what I am seeing so far, it's a great game and exactly thing that I wanted from Bethesda.

Ar¢tos

Console fanboys ruins shit for everybody.

Game should have been game of the generation. But that twat creation engine exist. It's why you get tons of loading screen and boundary limitations. It's not good for big epic space game.

It would have been a different conversation, if it was only on 1 big map.

At least the game will look massively different when those mods drop.
So, half of the Playstation install base isn't going to sell their consoles to buy Xboxs to play this, unlike what I've been told over and over by the "gaming media"?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Some of the Xbox series version reviews above 95 points(15 in total);

Xboxaddict 100 lol
Generationxbox 99
Somosxbox 99
Mondxbox 97

Xboxera 97(for pc version).

feynoob

Banned
So, half of the Playstation install base isn't going to sell their consoles to buy Xboxs to play this, unlike what I've been told over and over by the "gaming media"?
Your problem is paying attention to these media.
It's why we can't have nice stuff.

Top Bottom