• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So he gets into the ship, fights, gets a loading screen and then is like "wow im in space now"?

No, when the ships take off, there is a small canned animation and then you're in space.

You're artificially turning it into something it isn't.

feynoob

Banned
So he gets into the ship, fights, gets a loading screen and then is like "wow im in space now"?
Because of context.
The enemy ship took him to space. He is surprised by that.
He thought that only he as a player can do that.
But it's also cheeky pr tone. He makes it like he doesn't know this feature.

Tsaki

Yea 87 score is good score but it's the my type of games i love anyways. A 94 would have differently made more interested, possible made me buy a xbox to play it. Hopefully spider man 2 breaks into the 90s.
Doubt it. Insomniac might be the most valuable Sony studio, since they make great games in a rapid pace but they don't have the chops (or due to self imposed time restrictions) to make amazing 90+ games like ND or SSM. I am hopeful about Wolverine though to reach that.

Ugg. Reviews are far from stellar from what i've read on the main review sites with some very harsh words. Metascore will fall in a few days.

I was wondering if i would miss a masterpiece due to the acquisition of Microsoft by Beteshda that prevents me to play starfield on PS. Guess not yet.
Not that i like PS first party output better with clones and sequels...😭

adamsapple

How? I was just confused about a scenario that he describes. Not everything here is console warring.

I never said you were lol.

There's a bunch of misinformation in the last couple of pages and some posters are here just to shitpost and instigate. After a while it gets harder to detect whose doing that and who wants to know more about the game.

The early access OT mostly has people playing the game (so far), that's a better place to legit ask questions about stuff in the game.

Never thought I would agree with an IGN review, but they kinda nailed it. iF you showed me No Man Sky and then Starfield and asked me to "pick which one took 10 years to make" I wouldn't be picking Starfield that is for sure. The inventory system is pure garbage, they have had YEARS and DOZENS of games to perfect the inventory system but this one is worse than fallout 4 for christ sake and no maps for any of the settlements is beyond fucked up. You literally land on the damn planet and have no idea where the hell to go or how to get there. The graphics are not even that impressive.

Maybe it does get better after 12 hours I can't say I dunno if I can stomach all the amateur shit in ths game to get there.

feynoob

Banned
Never thought I would agree with an IGN review, but they kinda nailed it. iF you showed me No Man Sky and then Starfield and asked me to "pick which one took 10 years to make" I wouldn't be picking Starfield that is for sure. The inventory system is pure garbage, they have had YEARS and DOZENS of games to perfect the inventory system but this one is worse than fallout 4 for christ sake and no maps for any of the settlements is beyond fucked up. You literally land on the damn planet and have no idea where the hell to go or how to get there. The graphics are not even that impressive.

Maybe it does get better after 12 hours I can't say I dunno if I can stomach all the amateur shit in ths game to get there.
One is sim game, while the other is rpg game.
People need stop mixing those 2 together.

I agree on the inventory part. Bethesda has been bad on that sector.

Ulysses 31

Which NMS though, the release version or the current version after years of patching?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
How? I was just confused about a scenario that he describes. Not everything here is console warring.
He has publicly said in interviews there is no seamless transition since at least early 2022. I don't expect people to follow all the interviews, but it's kind of ridiculous to assert that he's lying about that. Just google "starfield space transition" and read for a minute or two.

MMaRsu

When Jeff Gerstmann likes it, you know its a fucking good game. Especially after how he hated Fallout 4 in the end.

Also lmao IGN and PCgamer US, horrible publications. Giving Watch Dogs Legion an 8 but giving Starfield a 7 is truly hilarious and should tell you all you need to know about IGN.

Which NMS though, the release version or the current version after years of patching?
To be honest even the release version of No Man Sky has Starshield beat in several ways. The inventory system for one is a lot better even in vanilla NMS. Also crafting and planet exploration felt better in No Man Sky Vanilla than it does in Starfield. I also very much doubt Starshield is going to see several years of paid DLC let alone 7 years of free DLC like No Man Sky has. I am just not impressed by starshield this should've been Bethesda's "Magnum Opus" in reality it is a weaker game than a lot of previous Bethesda games. If they have truly spent 10 years on this game I got to ask "What the fuck did you spend those 10 years doing ?"

feynoob

Banned

When Jeff Gerstmann likes it, you know its a fucking good game. Especially after how he hated Fallout 4 in the end.

Also lmao IGN and PCgamer US, horrible publications. Giving Watch Dogs Legion an 8 but giving Starfield a 7 is truly hilarious and should tell you all you need to know about IGN.

I think you need to take a break.
If you have the early access game, play it and ignore this thread.
Nothing matters at this point once the game launched.

feynoob

Banned
To be honest even the release version of No Man Sky has Starshield beat in several ways. The inventory system for one is a lot better even in vanilla NMS. Also crafting and planet exploration felt better in No Man Sky Vanilla than it does in Starfield. I also very much doubt Starshield is going to see several years of paid DLC let alone 7 years of free DLC like No Man Sky has. I am just not impressed by starshield this should've been Bethesda's "Magnum Opus" in reality it is a weaker game than a lot of previous Bethesda games. If they have truly spent 10 years on this game I got to ask "What the fuck did you spend those 10 years doing ?"
Are you trolling, or are you just that dense?
This seems like CW shit that you see on twitter.

IGN reviews are really just a roll of the dice depending on who is doing the review. A different editor at IGN and it could be 1 or 2 points higher although I doubt they woud've scored it lower.

It's why I'd rather trust a reviewer like ACG because it's more consistent because it is the same reviewer rather than an outlet of reviewers.

adamsapple

If you follow Giant Bomb, fucking DAN likes it, and he doesn't like anything except Metal Gear. He also liked Armored Core despite thinking he won't.

There's a good mix of different types of games releasing right now. Shit's good.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Did they just make a random open world map (different flora and fauna and terrain in different areas) and split it up to give the illusion of landing on planets?
Pretty much yes, and they also used the power management system and space combat from Elite Dangerous for the space ship, which is completely disconnected from the rest of the game. You don't even need to go into space much, you can just fast travel anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the game, but it has clear and obvious flaws that makes it a bit harder to like. Lack of minimap or even hud icons when you're trying to find a specific building in a settlement is a pain sometimes.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Ha ha. Fucking no. I bought it at launch and put 40 hours in. In retrospect it was god awful. I haven't played Starfield yet, but I see no reason why it would be as broken and feature empty as launch NMS was.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Also, reviewers also got to review it for free, they didn't had to spend $99 on the game early access.

I downgraded to the standard edition, the game is good but it's not worth the early access price.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I see we're at the "publications are trash" stage, nice.
Its a vicious cycle at this point.
X journal makes shit stuff. People mock them. They make polarizing content. people get mad and give them views.
As long as people give them attention, they wont stop.
All these american publication are benefiting from the drama nonstop.

Are you trolling, or are you just that dense?
This seems like CW shit that you see on twitter.
Yes I must be trolling ............. because I am complaining about basic things Bethesda should have fucking perfected decades ago. But hey keep your nose buried in Todd Howards arse you obviously like the smell.

Ha ha. Fucking no. I bought it at launch and put 40 hours in. In retrospect it was god awful. I haven't played Starfield yet, but I see no reason why it would be as broken and feature empty as launch NMS was.
I have played both and Starfield feels a lot like No Man Sky 7 years ago only with crappier inventory management, planet exploration and a crappy space flight.

feynoob

Banned
Also, reviewers also got to review it for free, they didn't had to spend $99 on the game early access.

I downgraded to the standard edition, the game is good but it's not worth the early access price.
Early access is a scam and people are normalizing it.
I miss when shit was normal, and everyone had the same launch windows.
Now I get to watch people spoil the story, because they have 5 days early access.

Vol5

Definitely not looking like something I want to play. It's the confirmation in video reviews that the exploration and story is anaemic with a lot of the missions simply being fetch quests with bare bones or re-used assets. Everything I've seen so far points to planets with absolutely nothing going on outside of the zone you are expected to explore. If it was more like building the right ship for planet entry or building the right suit to take on a planets features, then discovering something amazing; that would have been awesome, but I understand that's not what this game is. It's called Starfield and the gameplay trailers wanted to invoke a sense of exploration and wonder, so I think Bethesda really do need to be called out for their bullshit and spin....In reality it's going from level to level via a lot of loading screens and speaking to people with some shoot outs. Space combat looks weak as fuck as well.

I just watched a stream and it literally went like this...Go speak to someone for a mission, walk to the train, loading, get off train, walk to spaceship, loading, watch take off animation, loading, select planet, hyperdrive, loading, select landing spot, loading, watch landing animation, get out of chair animation, get out of ship, loading, find the guy you need to speak to after running around with no map, then the guy tells you to go to Venus?? That is bad game design on so many levels. Nothing of interest happens during that, it's just traversal. It's just artificial padding. I'm sure it's not all like this but it looks pretty lazy from my pov.

Lastly, HDR not being present / broken in a game that's been in development for 5+ years really tells me everything I need to know about it.

DaGwaphics

He has publicly said in interviews there is no seamless transition since at least early 2022. I don't expect people to follow all the interviews, but it's kind of ridiculous to assert that he's lying about that. Just google "starfield space transition" and read for a minute or two.

When it comes right down to it Bethesda has said very little and shown very little of the game overall, the thing where people accuse them of over-hyping or lying about the game is quite bizarre.

At the very least people making the claim should bring receipts for what they lied about in the Starfield direct, etc.

feynoob

Banned
Yes I must be trolling ............. because I am complaining about basic things Bethesda should have fucking perfected decades ago. But hey keep your nose buried in Todd Howards arse you obviously like the smell.
Because you bringing stupid stuff.
Have you seen no mans sky launch day1? Game needed 7 years to be this good.
Starfield on other hand is rpg game and not a sim. You play for rpg stuff.

FunkMiller

I have played both and Starfield feels a lot like No Man Sky 7 years ago only with crappier inventory management, planet exploration and a crappy space flight.

Yeah, that doesn't sound particularly fair to me. Starfield clearly has a great many curated, large environments with a lot of side quests and stuff to do. NMS was a shallow fucking puddle of little to no gameplay.

Because you bringing stupid stuff.
Have you seen no mans sky launch day1? Game needed 7 years to be this good.
Starfield on other hand is rpg game and not a sim. You play for rpg stuff.
How is "stupid stuff" like Inventory Management worse than something from the 1980's and the lack of any settlement maps "stupid stuff" I know starfield is an RPG yet here I am saying it got many of the BASICS of an RPG wrong. I got No Man Sky on release day too and I know that is not an RPG however both games share several elements and NMS even on launch got those elements right a hell of lot more than Bethesda has with Starfield and decades of gaming experience.

Yeah, that doesn't sound particularly fair to me. Starfield clearly has a great many curated, large environments with a lot of side quests and stuff to do. NMS was a shallow fucking puddle of little to no gameplay.
Yes Starfield does have several curated environments (I would't particular class them as that large though) and I know that No Man Sky is a different game to starfield but as I said there are shared elements and those shared elements are basic things that Bethesda should have got right a long long time ago. How the fuck you people can argue that in 2023 it is acceptable to have no settelment maps is beyond me and an inventory system straight out of an Amiga game in the 1980's.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
How is "stupid stuff" like Inventory Management worse than something from the 1980's and the lack of any settlement maps "stupid stuff" I know starfield is an RPG yet here I am saying it got many of the BASICS of an RPG wrong. I got No Man Sky on release day too and I know that is not an RPG however both games share several elements and NMS even on launch got those elements right a hell of lot more than Bethesda has with Starfield and decades of gaming experience.
Because NMS is a sim game, designed for sim stuff.
Starfield is an rpg game designed for rpg stuff.
2 different game for 2 different audience. You dont go for NMS if you are rpg fan, vice versa.

Bethesda inventory management has been shit for too long, Its not something new.

The difference between the 2 is that 1 took 7 years to be good, while the other is just launching now.

b0uncyfr0

Im not feeling it as much as i thought. I don't like huge games but this has been dumbed down so hard, its tough to enjoy it.

Is there any point to exploring in space..? You can just X to travel anywhere.

Zheph

2 different game for 2 different audience. You dont go for NMS if you are rpg fan, vice versa.

Bethesda inventory management has been shit for too long, Its not something new.

The difference between the 2 is that 1 took 7 years to be good, while the other is just launching now.
little difference in budget and size of studio as well... very tiny!

feynoob

Banned
little difference in budget and size of studio as well... very tiny!
Not really. Budget means nothing.
NMS studios had the determination to make a great game, instead of accepting the launch day results.
That is why the game is good now.
Same thing worked for larian baldurs gate 3.

Well firstly "lol at NMS being a sim game" it is about as much as a fucking sim game as the Sims is a real life world simulator. I acknowledge they are two different genres but they also share some systems that are comparable such as inventory management and planet exploration both of which are superior in No Man Sky even at launch.

As for "bethesda alwas do shit inventory management" perhaps it is time we called the fuckers out for it rather than going "lol those ole cads never get the inventory management right" and you can't use the oh oh no man sky has been out for 7 years when talking about Starfield that has been in developer for 10 years and with the pedigree of Bethesda behind it

Zheph

Not really. Budget means nothing.
NMS studios had the determination to make a great game, instead of accepting the launch day results.
That is why the game is good now.
Same thing worked for larian baldurs gate 3.
excuse me? Hello Games has 20+ employees

feynoob

Banned
Well firstly "lol at NMS being a sim game" it is about as much as a fucking sim game as the Sims is a real life world simulator. I acknowledge they are two different genres but they also share some systems that are comparable such as inventory management and planet exploration both of which are superior in No Man Sky even at launch.

As for "bethesda alwas do shit inventory management" perhaps it is time we called the fuckers out for it rather than going "lol those ole cads never get the inventory management right" and you can't use the oh oh no man sky has been out for 7 years when talking about Starfield that has been in developer for 10 years and with the pedigree of Bethesda behind it
They got called out, which is why the game is 88 and not 90+.
If people were to forgive bethesda, this game would have been a goty candidate according to them. Glad they held them accountable.
Its tiresome for us fans to make the game look good with mods, because bethesda is shit at making basic functions.

feynoob

Banned
excuse me? Hello Games has 20+ employees
Doesnt matter how many employees they have.
The ceo of that company made it his mission to make the game good and it paid off.
Budget and employee numbers can only get you so far. You need that determination to make a good game and not give up.
Hello games supported the game for as long as they can, despite the hardship. We are seeing the result of that now.

Top Bottom