• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyberpunkd

Do you think the design document for this game started with ‘this is a game about space exploration’ or ‘this will be our most ambitious RPG ever, set in space’
How about Todd stops lying then? I’m sorry, he was vague just enough not to outright lie, my bad.

Also, don’t you think for something “set in space” where you can pilot a spaceship yourself they should have done something a bit better?

OuterLimits

Ok, but that was on a fraction of Bethesda budget and headcount. So as a number cruncher I have to ask - where did that 400mln budget go to?

Don't disagree there. Hello Games did get some funding from Sony, and Sony was certainly promoting the game extensively as well.(with prime spots at E3 and elsewhere) Sean Murray was even appearing on late night talk/comedy shows. But yes, the major blunder overall was Murray himself way overhyping(and yes being deceptive at times) what was in the game.

I agree with you though about the budget disparity.

twilo99

Gold Member
I think BG3 is going to make other new RPGs look dated as soon as they come out for at least the next couple of years.

Yes.

I’ve put in only about 40hrs into BG3 and about 2 into Starfield and so far I can tell you that they are both great games that carry a lot of value.

geary

Now that basically every review is in, it landed on MC 88 and OC 94%, pretty pretty pretty good.

I can’t play until next week unfortunately
If on OC is 94% for Top Critics, and most of the mainstream publication gave the game a 7, how the heck did it reach 94%.

Zathalus

Xbox fans should be thankful that Starfield got a 87 considering how the review process went:

xshYv0B.jpg
Yeah, every single exclusive should get a -10 score on Open and Metacritic just to combat platform specific scores. Hence God of War is a 84 game and not 94.

Oh wait no, because that would be retarded.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
How about Todd stops lying then?
This. At best the marketing is misleadingly vague. At worst it is deliberately misrepresented in such a way to make the game seem like more than it is to the average consumer that doesn't know any better.

This isn't the customer making a big oopsie and misunderstanding an interview or something. The game was deliberately marketed in such a way that made the game seem MUCH larger and more dynamic than it actually is.

That’s the thing. I’m sure it’s a great game. Just not the game Todd was promoting. 90% of Peter Molyneux games were great games, just not the games he was describing.
That could be said for so many games from so many developers though, it's their job to push the products. Smoke and mirrors.

jorgejjvr

Even when I have auto HDR off on Xbox, HDR10 still applies. Had to turn auto that off and hdr10 off in settings, game looks much better now

supernova8

Banned
Yeah, every single exclusive should get a -10 score on Open and Metacritic just to combat platform specific scores. Hence God of War is a 84 game and not 94.

Alternatively, just stop including platform specific websites (for Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo exclusives) on Metacritic that are almost guaranteed to give positive scores no matter what.

Also, we shouldn't be getting 5 different scores from IGN, FFS.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Karak Karak

Just watched your review bud, excellent piece of work. This was exactly what I wanted from the game so went and bought it with zero hesitation. Cant wait to get stuck in (y)

Keep up the good work :messenger_sunglasses:

Whitecrow

Banned
Nope. Utilizes Windows Auto HDR settings and Xbox’s built in HDR settings. Seems the game was not made for native HDR. So surprised by this
If the game have native HDR, it cant use Windows autoHDR. AutoHDR is for SDR games.
It only lacks any kind of tonemapping. But there's an app on MS Store to apply tone mapping on HDR. At least for W11.

GooseMan69

I looked at some no commentary gameplay, and I’m not gonna lie, it looks fun as hell tbh. And I don’t even typically like Bethesda games that much (although I like Fallout 3 far more than Oblivion/Skyrim). If I had an Xbox I would totally buy it.

Crayon

I was thinking this was a great idea until you said it was retarded!!!! >:0

And dock 5 points for games with really good graphics!!

Ribi

Hopefully this is the game that finally kills procedural generation, it’s lame af in this too
Depends on the amount of assets you make to put in and the tool you use to create via AI. It can look great but it depends on what you throw into the chest so the AI can play with it

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I heard somewhere this had NG+? Is there a trigger for it or do you get to choose when to go on a NG+ run?

Last edited:

skit_data

Gold Member
It’s not a 94% on Open Critic. 94% of critics gave a positive score on Open Critic.

The average score is 88.

I corrected Helghan on this yesterday, but he’s continuing to push this false narrative.
I assume it's bait, it's not like we can't see the critics average with our own eyes

Robb

Gold Member
Alternatively, just stop including platform specific websites (for Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo exclusives) on Metacritic that are almost guaranteed to give positive scores no matter what.
I don’t think that’d change anything. These games get >100 reviews, of which like 10(?) are from platform specific sites.

If 90 sites give the game a 7/10 and the remaining 10 give a 10/10 you’d still end at a 7.3 average. So it’s hardly a major contributor/problem.

Although if we’re talking about games that get less than, say, 30 reviews it’ll have a major effect. But that seems very rare.

Last edited:
For the people that think Starfield as an exclusive is a failure due to the MC score, are these games a failure also? Because I enjoyed them A LOT, so if Starfield is close to them I will be more than happy.
6yteD9Y.jpg
A bit misleading. Two of those are remakes that got lower scores than the originals for not changing enough or justifying the price tag. But yeah, ignoring the remakes other than Tsushima none of them really lit the world on fire.

Depends what you were expecting from the game, Starfield doesn't seem like a failure to me, but if you expected something groundbreaking then I suppose yes.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
For the people that think Starfield as an exclusive is a failure due to the MC score, are these games a failure also? Because I enjoyed them A LOT, so if Starfield is close to them I will be more than happy.
6yteD9Y.jpg
You are trying to wield the Meta score like an bludgeon just as much as those that are intentionally ignoring it.

There is a difference between a failure and a disappointment. Starfield is a disappointment.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

6yteD9Y.jpg

The original releases of Uncharted 4 and Last of Us both are 93 and 95 MC, you took the lower-scored remasters to support your narrative.
It's ok if Starfield is 87, it's still good, not some expected, but still good. Maybe when it gets the remastered or directors cut it will be 90+ MC, but no need to lie about the other games.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

6yteD9Y.jpg
Except a lot more is riding on Starfield than any single Sony IP you mention since Microsoft is for years incapable of shipping exclusive games in a timely manner.

Even your picture shows it - NINE games vs. one.

Chechack

6yteD9Y.jpg
I think its a failure because many hyped it up as "game of generation" , "game of forever", "game that is going to revolutionize gaming" and other hyped up quotes being thrown around in social media and forums by hardcore bethesda/xbox fan.

Gudji

6yteD9Y.jpg
It's all about the expectations, Starfield was supposed to be a goty level game, xbox tlou/TotK/BG3 and it isn't, you're looking too much into the score which is misleading.

The game is riddled with issues and game design decisions that should have stayed in the past, even more when it's current gen only (it does little to nothing to take advantage of the new hardware) .

Top Bottom