• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King Dazzar

I don't know, he really doesn't sound as excstatic as with other games.

watch again , he is praising everything about the game.
also takes a few jibes at the naysayers and a certain.....................group of fans
He is saying positive stuff about it, but also points out some negative stuff too. I don't usually watch his stuff, but at the same time as being generally positive, he sounds a bit deflated/flat when expressing it to me. Its almost like he's speaking in a 7 out of 10 tone of voice, whilst saying he cant stop playing it.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
He is saying positive stuff about it, but also points out some negative stuff too. I don't usually watch his stuff, but at the same time as being generally positive, he sounds a bit deflated/flat when expressing it to me. Its almost like he's speaking in a 7 out of 10 tone of voice, whilst saying he cant stop playing it.
9 out of 10 tone of voice is what i felt when watching that

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Wouldn't surprise me at this point (it's a joke)
znEBQxr.jpg

DaGwaphics

Wow. Is it really true that in space you're only limited to a small corridor essentially? I.e. there's no space exploration? If so, what was the fucking point of marketing the exploration aspects of the game...

You are still exploring space and exploring the planets/moons. You are just choosing a destination in the computer and the ship is taking you there. The exploration is there, just not the manual flight.

That's the way sci-fi always does it since some kind of ultra fast locomotion is used (warp drives in Star-Trek or the space folding in Starfield).

Madflavor

Why is Dan Stapleton from IGN catching ALL the shit for his 7/10 review, when Gamespot gave the exact same score? I'm not sure if the reviewer for Gamespot is relieved or pissed his review got no attention.

Cashon

Banned
I dont know why hes getting this hate. hes not the only one. gamespot and PC gamer also gave it a 7 and lets face it, eurogamer is giving it a 3 star out of 5 which will show up as a 60 on metacritic.
Why is Dan Stapleton from IGN catching ALL the shit for his 7/10 review, when Gamespot gave the exact same score? I'm not sure if the reviewer for Gamespot is relieved or pissed his review got no attention.

I don't have a problem with the 7, per se, but this same guy gave The Outer Worlds an 8.5. There's an inconsistency there that feels off.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Yeah, it's bizarre. There are other 7s beside IGN and Gamespot. Well, there are lower than 7 scores, even 5/10, why no one talk about it lol

Madflavor

I don't have a problem with the 7, per se, but this same guy gave The Outer Worlds an 8.5. There's an inconsistency there that feels off.

It's not inconsistent. There are just things in Outer Worlds he found more value in than Starfield. I'm not a fan of this argument I see all the time where someone goes "Well this reviewer gave that game from 5 years ago this score. So their opinion to me is invalided toward the game I'm emotionally invested in."

I mean it's not worded like that, but if this were the film Liar Liar, it'd be worded like that.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yeah, it's bizarre. There are other 7s beside IGN and Gamespot. Well, there are lower than 7 scores, even 5/10, why no one talk about it lol
The PCgamer and Gamespot 7/10 reviews are big red flags. It's one thing to see a single big media outlet giving a big release low scores, it's another when you see multiple doing it.

The biggest problem with Starfield is the limited exploration and immersion breaking from the spaceflight, the procedural generation is as limited as No Man's Sky at launch. The best quests and roleplaying are in the main cities, but the whole premisse of the game was the planet exploration, and it's incredible limited.

In order for the game to break that illusion it would need a variety of procedural generated quests in the hundreds and i think Gamebryo was unable to create.

Draugoth

Gold Member

how can ppl defend this is beyond me, geez

Same thing with Diablo 4, you dont want to feel disappointed for a game you waited for too long and paid $99 for it,

Once they realize they did everything in the first 10 hours reality will start kicking in,

I was also defending Diablo 4 when it released, but i was slowly starting to realize it wasn't a finished product.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Eurogamer got away cheaply. I think they'll give it three stars out of five, but since the first day of battle continued on the IGN and Gamespot fronts, fans probably don't have the strength to fight with them. I'm eagerly waiting for their review, while waiting for my peasentpass access.

I think this is a Microsoft thing, Forza Horizon 5 also has pronouns, female clothes for male players etc.

I imagine a lot of games will be going the same way nowadays, as society has decided (or it's been decided for us) that we're going down this path. We either overlook it or give up buying the games I guess.
Those games are not for me. Happy to leave them behind.

Cashon

Banned
It's not inconsistent. There are just things in Outer Worlds he found more value in than Starfield. I'm not a fan of this argument I see all the time where someone goes "Well this reviewer gave that game from 5 years ago this score. So their opinion to me is invalided toward the game I'm emotionally invested in."

I mean it's not worded like that, but if this were the film Liar Liar, it'd be worded like that.
I haven't played Starfield yet; I don't do the early access stuff. But the complaints he leveled against Starfield in his review, and that he talked about on the IGN podcast, Unlocked, are so absolutely features that are also present in The Outer Worlds.

So, yeah, it feels inconsistent. Unless The Outer Worlds' particular brand of humor warrants an increased score of 1.5 on the IGN scale.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
so I played a lot more last night. Some take always.

- overall still not my type of game.
- some planets are mini Skyrims. Meaning you have a large open map that fills with icon map points ( I could be crazy but the icons look just like Skyrims icons? 😵‍💫) . These are filled with towns and dungeons with side quest .. ect .. ect.
- space exploration is there and my funnest part of the game. Basically you just click LB and see the areas around the one you are in and “ fly “ to any by pressing x. Some areas have Space stations. Some asteroids. Some both. You can get mayday quests and ship battles in these areas. Docking to space stations and enemy ships sucks though.
- I am ALWAYS out of health and ammo. 😒
- been on a few main quests for artifacts. Not bad but nothing super exciting so far. Used them mainly to get credits for ship improvements.

Ammogeddon

I’ll keep coming back here and add my two penneth as I go along through the game.

Some of the menu/travel criticisms are correct.

I got a planet survey mission from the constellation mission board in the HQ basement in New Atlantis. I went into the menu, plotted a course and within a few seconds I was there. Not very adventurous.

Thyuda

Well, it's more about the content of the review and how the negatives that he applied to Starfield also apply to The Outer Worlds.
So, the negatives he applied are similar or the same, but he weights them heavier if the developer is Bethesda who has supposedly worked on the brand new IP for 7 plus years with god knows how many developers and lighter with a much smaller developer... Okay.

Sarcastic The Audacity GIF by Amazon miniTV

Cashon

Banned
So, the negatives he applied are similar or the same, but he weights them heavier if the developer is Bethesda who has supposedly worked on the brand new IP for 7 plus years with god knows how many developers and lighter with a much smaller developer... Okay.

Sarcastic The Audacity GIF by Amazon miniTV
Yeah, you shouldn't do that.

A game is a game, regardless of who makes it. If you are a small developer or a large one, a bad game is a bad game, a good game is a good game, and a great game is a great game.

We shouldn't give out participation points for smaller developers trying something that's outside of their capability. And we certainly shouldn't take away points for larger developers making something that's well within their capability. We should just play the games and rate them based on what we play, as opposed to who made it. And maybe learn to use a rubric so that there's consistency.

Last edited:

Thyuda

A game is a game, regardless of who makes it. If you are a small developer or a large one, a bad game is a bad game, a good game is a good game, and a great game is a great game.

We shouldn't give out participation points for smaller developers trying something that's outside of their capability. And we certainly shouldn't take away points for larger developers making something that's well within their capability. We should just play the games and rate them based on what we play, as opposed to who made it. And maybe learn to use a rubric so that there's consistency.
That's... Probably the worst take I've read on GAF ever since I've been a member here. Kudos man!

ulantan

Nah 400 devs and 400 million dollars has an expectation. All products have expectations, just as all teams do. A small developer with limited resources punching above thier weight is rare and incredible when it happens and should be recognized as such. But a studio with that many people with damn near infinite resources barely meeting its expectations should be questioned.

Cashon

Banned
Nah 400 devs and 400 million dollars has an expectation. All products have expectations, just as all teams do. A small developer with limited resources punching above thier weight is rare and incredible when it happens and should be recognized as such. But a studio with that many people with damn near infinite resources barely meeting its expectations should be questioned.
Why? It's the same game if it's a studio of 5 or a studio of 500. Same exact game, different scores? That's not a very logical way to analyze/criticize a product.

Topher

Gold Member
Why? It's the same game if it's a studio of 5 or a studio of 500. Same exact game, different scores? That's not a very logical way to analyze/criticize a product.

I don't follow. A studio of 5 is not going to make the same game as a studio of 500.

Lokaum D+

and i think most reviewrs for Starfield just turned a blind eye cause Bethesda is a behemoth, a small developer like Hello games ( No Man Sky ) that made a game that in my opnion is way more much more ambitious in terms of space exploration, has ( nowadays ) a good space combat, co-op and most of the features promissed, got a lot more criticism on Reviews for the bug mess and lack of features promissed on launch that Bethesda Starfild got it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom