• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bernoulli

M2 slut
1G1M02Q.png

Topher

Gold Member
Also someone spoiler tag me and tell me why you should beat the main campaign first, i dont care about spoilers but also dont give me mega spoilers, just the gist of it.

Don't click if you don't want to know, folks.....
Because you get powers in the main quest of the game and the further you advance in the main quest the more powers you get. It's kind of like Skyrim shouts all over again.

thuGG_pl

I hope this becomes a wakeup call for Bethesda and they ask money from Microsoft to actually develop a new engine. The tech used on the engine is very old. Creation Engine 2.0 is not even a new engine, just an update like you do on already released games.

They need to make a Creation Engine 2, like Unreal does.
When F4 came out people also were talking that the engine needs to retire :D
So naturally they used it again on completely new, big budget project.

Last edited:

Xtib81

What's so hard in using a spoiler tag and explaining what's so special about Ng+?. I imagine some quests/characters are locked until you replay the game.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I have NEVER seen a game with so many loading screens. Literally everything you do has to load. I sure am glad that microsoft touted velocity architecture with the xbox.........................wtf
This statement is a gross exaggeration. There are instances where you may encounter a few 6-10 sec loading screens back to back when quickly running throughdifferent buildings in a city, but it really isnt anymore than other games in the genre. They are also rather quick.
There you go.

The game also has several oddities and inaccurate design choices like these, which prove that the game is not built on hardcore realism. For example.

1) Main NPCs walking in no sleeves in freezing temperatures.

a43PybX.jpg

2) There are beer bottles and chairs out in the open, in an environment that's -167* temperature and with 0% oxygen. This is copy-pasted stuff that appears on multiple such planets.

AGd7g4t.jpg

I agree with object placement being silly in those photos, i havent ran across anything as egregious in my time.... yet. When my character goes outside without a helmet, he takes damage, so I imagine this players game is bugged.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If they’ve deliberately written this game to be significantly better the second time through, it represents the single dumbest decision I can think of ever in video games.

Your job is to construct a compelling narrative from the get go, you fucking idiots, not gate the best parts of your game behind hours of slog.

Jesus. I’m three hours into this game and struggling to maintain my interest, when BG3 is sat over there…

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I agree with object placement being silly in those photos, i havent ran across anything as egregious in my time.... yet. When my character goes outside without a helmet, he takes damage, so I imagine this players game is bugged.

Yes, any planet with extreme conditions, going without helmet or space suit kills you in half a minute from continuous health loss.

J3nga

If they’ve deliberately written this game to be significantly better the second time through, it represents the single dumbest decision I can think of ever in video games.

Your job is to construct a compelling narrative from the get go, you fucking idiots, not gate the best parts of your game behind hours of slog.

Jesus. I’m three hours into this game and struggling to maintain my interest, when BG3 is sat over there…
I refunded it after less than an hour and got BG3 instead. I still might play it later on gamepass or regular edition, didn't seem like this game is worthy premium to pay.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

?? A story should follow an arch and build. Blasting your load within the first few hours is not good story telling. Truthfully, there are plenty of other games to play if that is what you are looking for.

The opening beats set up the mystery of a grand sci-fi opera. It's actually really well done in my opinion. And as always with these games, all you have to do is turn left instead of turning right and you will stumble upon another plot line.

I currently am working in deep cover after inflitrating the Crimson Fleet, while simultaneously acting as a salesman for a shitty corporation (which was my career in a previous life) that sells frontier housing on previously unexplored planets. I barely have scratched the surface of the main plot line and it's been great.

Last edited:
I will wait for a patch too if it can improve the performance but it doesn't make sense that early access users are paying $100 and just one patch a few days later will change the game

It was the same story with Cyberpunk, wait for the magic day 1 patch that will fix everything, i took months for improvements

I still think the real problem with Bethesda is their engine And they should ditch it for TES

I think it's already in development on this old janky Starfield engine, as I've seen nothing on them switching to UE5.

Yeah I think that's where Bethesda erred - these kind of comparisons were widespread for at least a year before the game launched and they didn't do anything to temper expectations. Starfield is not the same kind of game as Elite. It doesn't do the same things. It's an RPG set in space, not a space simulation. Elite has no story, no voiced cutscene content in game, no main plot to follow and no long side quests. You can't pick up and move items. You can't create your own outposts, build your own ships. In Starfield you can do those things, but you don't have the same fidelity of the galaxy, space travel & flight model. Incidentally, Star Citizen seems to be trying to do everything and you can see where that projec is at right now. It's hard.

Elite focuses on the gameplay systems while Starfield focuses on the story elements. Those are the fundamental core differences. Bethesda allowed people to continue to think it was a space simulator and now they have a lot of disappointed potential customers - that's on them. If you can resolve in your mind what the differences are and accept Starfield for what it is, there's a heck of a lot of fun to be had I think. At least I'm finding it to be so. Some people won't be able to get over the disappointment that it isnt' what they hoped it would be.

I think this is a good outlook but there's something not being considered; I haven't played the game yet (theoretically I could, could just borrow a family member's Series S and rent Game Pass for a month & play it that way), but I've seen other people play it and I've seen more than a few either just outright quit on the game or find it not very interesting...and it's not because it isn't a space simulator.

It's because of things like the UI, or characters not reacting to getting shot point-blank multiple times, or the dialog feeling plain & boring, or the story not being that interesting, or the RPG mechanics not feeling interesting to them. Some saying they'd of much preferred if it were more like Skyrim; maybe that means different things to each person but it's a sentiment I've been seeing. I think people who like to exploit game systems or like to find skilled ways to speed-run will be among the most dedicated fans of the game, but I don't think that'll be majority of Bethesda fans because a LOT of Bethesda's modern fans are fans due to Skyrim, and Starfield just isn't that type of game.

Hell, I think the somewhat muted sci-fi approach the game's taken (which less high fantasy sci-fi and more hard sci-fi with some modest sci-fi fantasy elements sprinkled in there) is not going to appeal to a lot of the Bethesda fans into the Medieval mid/high fantasy of the Elder Scrolls games. And it doesn't seem like the game's presentation of its story makes up for that (or that the story itself is unique enough to do so), but I'm speaking as someone who hasn't touched the game yet themselves, FWIW.

Yeah i don't understand that kind of argument
Oh look that game was bad at launch it's okay for this one

No it's not, and gamers keep forgiving devs like this and pre-ordering games
This is why we'll never get good games day one anymore, instead we have 40 bucks early access to play the mess a few days earlier

I think Nintendo are maybe the only AAA publisher who routinely releases games Day 1 without major bugs, although Pokemon Scarlet & Violet ran like dogshit on the Switch and had some hilarious graphical & character limitations.

Sony's up there, though HFW did have a decent number of (non-breaking) bugs or glitches at launch. Ran into three of them myself (asset float glitch, soft lock bug, hard lock bug), only the third one was actually annoying (lost some loot on that run due to it).

Out of the Big 3, Microsoft's games seem to have the most bugs (including actual game-breaking bugs) at launch by far. They need more resources in their QA, especially considering the number of platforms they support Day 1 launch-wise.

They already confirmed TES 6 will be on the same engine as starfield

Is this for real? Nah, someone at Microsoft needs to step in and force Bethesda to either make a new engine, or switch to UE5. TES6 is going to get lapped by so many RPGs on the market by the time it releases, if it's hamstrung by Creation Engine getting minimal improvements over where it's at with Starfield.

That's just pure complacency on Bethesda's part if they stick with CE and don't do a massive overhaul at the very least.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

?? A story should follow an arch and build. Blasting your load within the first few hours is not good story telling. Truthfully, there are plenty of other games to play if that is what you are looking for.

The opening beats set up the mystery of a grand sci-fi opera. It's actually really well done in my opinion. And as always with these games, all you have to do is turn left instead of turning right and you will stumble upon another plot line.

I currently am working in deep cover after inflitrating the Crimson Fleet, while simultaneously acting as a salesman for a shitty corporation (which was my career in a previous life) that sells frontier housing on previously unexplored planets. I barely have scratched the surface of the main plot line and it's been great.

A story shouldn’t require NG+ to get its full effect. It’s retarded.

You can fly to any jpeg*

You can count the number of people who find flying to Pluto in a video game in seven hours as "riveting gameplay", on two hands.

That type of stuff is Flight Simulator Syndrome, i.e absolute diehard enthusiasts (astronomy/hard sci-fi people in this case) will love it but it doesn't translate at all to the vast majority as being interesting. Not without a lot of style and human element in presentation & storytelling, which Flight Sim doesn't do (and Starfield seems to also not accomplish).

Sleepwalker

You can count the number of people who find flying to Pluto in a video game in seven hours as "riveting gameplay", on two hands.

That type of stuff is Flight Simulator Syndrome, i.e absolute diehard enthusiasts (astronomy/hard sci-fi people in this case) will love it but it doesn't translate at all to the vast majority as being interesting. Not without a lot of style and human element in presentation & storytelling, which Flight Sim doesn't do (and Starfield seems to also not accomplish).
Cortana set course for pluto
* goes away to do house chores *
7 hours later
We have arrived

- Realistic astronaut sim

Then again back in my childhood I used to leave my gamecube on while I went to school to unlock mewtwo in smash lol (didnt have a memory card)

Cortana set course for pluto
* goes away to do house chores *
7 hours later
We have arrived

- Realistic astronaut sim

Then again back in my childhood I used to leave my gamecube on while I went to school to unlock mewtwo in smash lol (didnt have a memory card)

Dude I did the same thing with Burnout 3: Takedown on PS2 (then my PS2 died...RIP Fattie PS2) 😂

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
A story shouldn’t require NG+ to get its full effect. It’s retarded.
I don't quite understand what your saying. Maybe I'm uninformed as I don't read spoiler content, but it seems as if you are suggesting that there is more story content that is exclusive to NG+, and you take issue with it.

Wildebeest

I don't quite understand what your saying. Maybe I'm uninformed as I don't read spoiler content, but it seems as if you are suggesting that there is more story content that is exclusive to NG+, and you take issue with it.
What annoys me is this vague "the real fun starts at 30+ hours" teasing. Although I've read some spoilers and watched the ending on YouTube, I don't mind spoilers, and it doesn't really seem like it's anything I care about.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
What annoys me is this vague "the real fun starts at 30+ hours" teasing. Although I've read some spoilers and watched the ending on YouTube, I don't mind spoilers, and it doesn't really seem like it's anything I care about.
Yeah, different strings for different folks. I had concerns when I heard those rumblings, but I have honestly found my groove within 2 hours. Admittedly, I have experience with Bethesda games and "know how to play them". I can imagine that could be an initial hurdle for newcomers to their games.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Funny how nobody listens to IGN or Gamespot until their bullshit reviews make them feel better about hating something for no reason.

There is no way you can review Skyrim with almost perfect scores and then slate this, its just so crazy I cant even try to make sense of it. Apart from if you dislike a space setting, which is no reason to significantly mark a game down, it has everything Skyrim had plus a LOT more.

Y'all should take more notice of ACG, the only credible reviewer as far as I'm concerned. As long as he makes videos I dont pay attention to anyone elses, he always hits the mark for my tastes.

This game was always going to be special, but its Bethesda and not available on Playstation so of course all kinds of nonsense will surround it. Shows how ridiculous the gaming community is really, a game of this scope should be celebrated, its an amazing achievement what they have done with Starfield

Top Bottom