• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IDappa

I get it.

A few of my friends had to go to the hospital after just one hour because of the UI
Its tricky at first no doubt. Did'nt take me too long to figure out the navigation though.

It does have problems, but to think you can have a grasp on any game at an hour in is ridiculous. Especially an RPG.

What about the ui do you think is the worst part?. Inventory is a bit cluttered, star map can be a pain to move about, although using the scanner to travel while in your ship circumvents the need to interact as much with that.

IDappa

Funny how nobody listens to IGN or Gamespot until their bullshit reviews make them feel better about hating something for no reason.

There is no way you can review Skyrim with almost perfect scores and then slate this, its just so crazy I cant even try to make sense of it. Apart from if you dislike a space setting, which is no reason to significantly mark a game down, it has everything Skyrim had plus a LOT more.

Y'all should take more notice of ACG, the only credible reviewer as far as I'm concerned. As long as he makes videos I dont pay attention to anyone elses, he always hits the mark for my tastes.

This game was always going to be special, but its Bethesda and not available on Playstation so of course all kinds of nonsense will surround it. Shows how ridiculous the gaming community is really, a game of this scope should be celebrated, its an amazing achievement what they have done with Starfield
I have spoken to people who do not like this game because there is too much dialogue.... in an RPG.

In saying that, I know people who enjoy the game but say the same thing. Each to their own I suppose. Just weird to me to say there is too much dialogue in a role playing game.

Freeman76

I have spoken to people who do not like this game because there is too much dialogue.... in an RPG.

In saying that, I know people who enjoy the game but say the same thing. Each to their own I suppose. Just weird to me to say there is too much dialogue in a role playing game.
100%

Its like rating fifa low because too much football

Not like you have to listen to all the dialogue anyway is it...its skippable

Also they never had an issue with Torment, which was basically nothing but talking. I dont know how anyone can take them seriously lol

This game is gonna get eaten alive by Steam User Reviews. While I’m still trying it on PC GamePass it seems to be a disappointment in almost every way. It’s not the “Skyrim in space” we were promised, not even close to it. The “unparalleled exploration” this game was marketed with is a total lie and in many ways it’s a regression from past Bethesda titles when it comes to free roam gameplay. It’s nuts to think they had all this time and budget to come up with a game and this is the best they could come up with. It’s not a terrible game but it’s not great either especially when you compare it to the masterpieces that Bethesda put out in the past.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So if the games amazing at 12 hours not doing the main quest....what happens if I start mainlining the main quest to new game plus now?

Do I just explode into a gallon of jizz and Banjo64 Banjo64 comes slurping me up off the floor?
dfytxw6-10c1fb1a-a7e7-4a3e-810f-5a4bac08fdf8.gif

Thyuda

Cohh's opinion on NG+ with spoilers, non-spoiler tldr from comments: not super worth it to rush NG+ u get some cool things but thats more of a bonus to encourage a new playthrough rather making urself rush through the base game. in hindsight cohh would have preferred to finish his first run normally.

Last edited:

IDappa

100%

Also they never had an issue with Torment, which was basically nothing but talking. I dont know how anyone can take them seriously lol
And you can delve as deep or shallow as you want into the conversations. Not too interested in said characters backstory?, stick to the dialogue points that moves the conversation forward.

I know it is a game that will not click for some which is fine, but the hard takes like the graphics are shit or too much dialogue just comes across as dissengenerous .

Topher

Gold Member

Cohh's opinion on NG+ with spoilers, non-spoiler tldr from comments: not super worth it to rush NG+ u get some cool things but thats more of a bonus to encourage a new playthrough rather making urself rush through the base game. in hindsight cohh would have preferred to finish his first run normally.

Not going to watch, but rushing to the end for something just doesn't work in a Bethesda game to me. It is all about the journey.

Ulysses 31

Seems pretty dumb to rush through a big RPG game in any case. Dunno what he was thinking.

Gideon

Funny how nobody listens to IGN or Gamespot until their bullshit reviews make them feel better about hating something for no reason.

There is no way you can review Skyrim with almost perfect scores and then slate this, its just so crazy I cant even try to make sense of it. Apart from if you dislike a space setting, which is no reason to significantly mark a game down, it has everything Skyrim had plus a LOT more.

Y'all should take more notice of ACG, the only credible reviewer as far as I'm concerned. As long as he makes videos I dont pay attention to anyone elses, he always hits the mark for my tastes.

This game was always going to be special, but its Bethesda and not available on Playstation so of course all kinds of nonsense will surround it. Shows how ridiculous the gaming community is really, a game of this scope should be celebrated, its an amazing achievement what they have done with Starfield
Skyrim is literally a 2011 game bruv be fr, if starfield was released a year after skyrim it would've been acceptable but 2023?? Absolutely outdated in near every way (imo)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Skyrim is literally a 2011 game bruv be fr, if starfield was released a year after skyrim it would've been acceptable but 2023?? Absolutely outdated in near every way (imo)

What games do Bethesda stuff better do you think? I know balders gate 3 is literally incredible and launched this year, but is there anything else? Outer worlds is a great game, that's similar.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Share with me a single game from 2012 that allows you to explore hundreds of diverse planets, with different biomes, stories, conflicts, and lifeforms, immerse your character into virtually endless adventures, jobs, and roles, engage in both tight first/third person shooter gameplay alongside deep ship-based space combat, allow you to fully build/customize your ship or purchase new ones, build your own home or colony or outpost on a ton of different planets to live and gather resources, join different factions/institutions and help fight for their cause in a meaningful way, etc.. etc.. etc..

Like seriously, stop lying to yourself. It's a dumb argument that holds zero weight if you think about it for more than 10 seconds. There are little-to-no games in 2023 that have ever done everything that Starfield is doing, let alone in 2012.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
This game is gonna get eaten alive by Steam User Reviews. While I’m still trying it on PC GamePass it seems to be a disappointment in almost every way. It’s not the “Skyrim in space” we were promised, not even close to it. The “unparalleled exploration” this game was marketed with is a total lie and in many ways it’s a regression from past Bethesda titles when it comes to free roam gameplay. It’s nuts to think they had all this time and budget to come up with a game and this is the best they could come up with. It’s not a terrible game but it’s not great either especially when you compare it to the masterpieces that Bethesda put out in the past.

Please explain in detail when you say "it's a regression from past Bethesda titles when it comes to free roam...". What do you mean? What are the specific things that are worse?

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's because of things like the UI, or characters not reacting to getting shot point-blank multiple times, or the dialog feeling plain & boring, or the story not being that interesting, or the RPG mechanics not feeling interesting to them. Some saying they'd of much preferred if it were more like Skyrim; maybe that means different things to each person but it's a sentiment I've been seeing. I think people who like to exploit game systems or like to find skilled ways to speed-run will be among the most dedicated fans of the game, but I don't think that'll be majority of Bethesda fans because a LOT of Bethesda's modern fans are fans due to Skyrim, and Starfield just isn't that type of game.

One thing I do agree with is that I think they've not done a great job of explaining how to do things in game ... the tutorials are non-existent or actually out of order ... for example if you go off the beaten path and don't do a few of the artifact quests early on you'll miss tutorials for things like crafting and building outposts. In space the game doesn't tell you that if you go into scan mode, press E to target a planet or POI, you can then press R to travel to it without going to map. There's no prompt for the E press in scan mode on the ship so you could play through the whole game not knowing that. There are a few other examples. I'm not surprised at all that people might think it's limited in functionality or is missing a lot of things.

On the RPG side of it, I don't know what to say about that. If people don't like RPG stuff then they don't like it. Can't do much about that. If they thought the game was going to be a fast paced shooter or some real space physics simulator, well Bethesda probably did a bad job setting those expectations (I actually think that's a large part of the pushback). As for the Skyrim comparisons, I see them all over the place. It actually feels to me like Skyrim set in space with upgraded graphics and improved Bethesda game systems like the crafting. It will never have the feel of contiguous travel like in Skyrim because Skyrim is one continent. And to further add to the skyrim comparisons it looks like you have your Voice moment not too far into the game (I haven't gotten there but have seen plenty of references to it) after which the game really opens up. Sounds familiar?

SkylineRKR

This NG+ rhetoric is giving me serious FFXIII vibes.

This is pretty much the worst rhetoric, its usually a line of defense that ends up being not true for those who didn't enjoy the game to begin with.

The base game should be compelling enough. The NG+ should be an extra for those willing to spend more time on it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People are being idiotic about it, refusing to share pertinent details as to why you should do it, but insisting you should.

Apparently you can skip the story missions in NG+ but everything else resets other than character progression. And there’s a spoiler reason why it’s better to do side content in NG+.

This is the opposite of how I play Bethesda games, so unless there’s a legitimate compelling reason for this bizarre design decision I’m ignoring it.
I'm not going to do it. I'm enjoying my time playing it as I am. If it's that good it will make me play more once I've done everything I want. I'm quite shocked "journalists" are pushing players to do it.

Not for me. Nope.
its boring and repetitive as fuck. Its like walmart fallout LOL
Outer worlds was great fun. I literally completed it and its dlc a week back and it was great.

bender

What time is it?
Outer worlds is seen as a bad game? I thought it was good. Not amazing but like a decent 7.5 to 8 out of ten game.
Worth it just for the vicar to shout "this is omitting I learnt in prison" and shotgun someone, plus nyokas loadingnof her mini gun and screaming....

I thought it was decent.

To be fair, I hate everything. I finished Outer Worlds and here is everything I remember about it:

bender

What time is it?
Pigs that keep growing cyst like tumours that drop off and everyone eats them...

I believe you, I just don't remember. I think most games these days are fine as we've settled into industry standards and trends but that leaves them largely forgettable. For example, I did almost everything in AC: Origins as I wanted a showcase game for the One X. I probably spent over 80 hours in the game. I don't remember jack shit about it either.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Share with me a single game from 2012 that allows you to explore hundreds of diverse planets, with different biomes, stories, conflicts, and lifeforms, immerse your character into virtually endless adventures, jobs, and roles, engage in both tight first/third person shooter gameplay alongside deep ship-based space combat, allow you to fully build/customize your ship or purchase new ones, build your own home or colony or outpost on a ton of different planets to live and gather resources, join different factions/institutions and help fight for their cause in a meaningful way, etc.. etc.. etc..
Well, you could also say it's not about the Starfield too lol. Here 'deep ship-based space combat' is a singular cell with few ship from where you teleport to pre-created cell or surface. Many things could be could be said about other sale-pitch quotes form your post.

2012 also brought us Mass Effect, which is beliebe it or not, way closer in it's structure to Starfield than to Skyrim.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

I think they are just really used to this engine, and don't want to have to learn a new one before they retire.
well, by the numbers of bugs, problems and lack of optimization that we encounter on their games, i would say that they are in fact, still learning how to use that engine.

Last edited:
100%

Well yea..I don’t want football in my soccer games either 😉

BlackTron

well, by the numbers of bugs, problems and lack of optimization that we encounter on their games, i would say that they are in fact still learning how to use that engine.

All the more disastrous to lose their years of accumulated knowledge and start over

Please explain in detail when you say "it's a regression from past Bethesda titles when it comes to free roam...". What do you mean? What are the specific things that are worse?
The sense of exploration. Imagine if you fast traveled to almost every major location or point of interest in Skyrim. This game has too many menus and loading screens instead of free roam exploration. That feeling you get in Skyrim when all of Tamriel is open for you to explore on foot or on horseback is missing here.

The feeling where you walk seamlessly between cities and villages in Skyrim discovering new points of interests, caves and amazing hand crafted scenery is pretty much gone in this game. Instead it’s replaced with loading screens into procedurally generated barren landscapes with random points of interests that actually repeat a lot, and aren’t related to each other.

The game isn’t bad if you look at it in a bubble but when compared to what was promised, it falls short. It’s definitely not a “Skyrim in space” experience, not at all.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
All the more disastrous to lose their years of accumulated knowledge and start over
It's way easier to find Unity/UE coder than to actually teach a new hire to handle your in-house engine. Main reason why CDPR switched to UE5 from their very sophisticated RED Engine. You need somethink akin of ICE Team to support in-house tech adequately on par with ND Engine or Decima. Even EA's Frostbite is somewhat a mess.

Creation Engine 2 not only hard to properly maintain and develop, it's not even Bethesda's own engine to begin with. It is essentially 2011 fork of GameBryo, riddled with legacy code and a whole spaceship worth of crutches to even render something properly. At this point, considering dev cycles of 5-7 years, I just can't see how TES6 could be properly realized on this engine, if at all. I do hope that at one point MS would step-up and will force BGS to switch to comething more modern that other MS studios can help supporting.

BlackTron

It's way easier to find Unity/UE coder than to actually teach a new hire to handle your in-house engine. Main reason why CDPR switched to UE5 from their very sophisticated RED Engine. You need somethink akin of ICE Team to support in-house tech adequately on par with ND Engine or Decima. Even EA's Frostbite is somewhat a mess.

Creation Engine 2 not only hard to properly maintain and develop, it's not even Bethesda's own engine to begin with. It is essentially 2011 fork of GameBryo, riddled with legacy code and a whole spaceship worth of crutches to even render something properly. At this point, considering dev cycles of 5-7 years, I just can't see how TES6 could be properly realized on this engine, if at all. I do hope that at one point MS would step-up and will force BGS to switch to comething more modern that other MS studios can help supporting.

I was just being sarcastic and poking fun at them is all

Top Bottom