• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DryvBy

I'm really curious whay Steam reviews will be like. I'm going to go with mixed for a bit at least. Isn't there something like 200k people that refunded the game on Steam already or is that false?
6b9RUNU.jpg

Edit: this is false so that's good. I thought this was a new way to bypass early access bs which got me excited lol

Last edited:

Gideon

I'm really curious whay Steam reviews will be like. I'm going to go with mixed for a bit at least. Isn't there something like 200k people that refunded the game on Steam already or is that false?
6b9RUNU.jpg
false, that is the whole platform requests..
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/support here you can find the last 90 days refund request (it had an huge spike at D4 launch and a 50% increase around starfield launch)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who? I want to see the posts. They should still be here shouldn’t they? People keep saying “ everyone who “. There should be a lot to choose from. I’ve actively been using search to try find some “overhype” posts.
MOTM MOTM is the one I remember. Banned now but you can try looking through his post history if you've got nothing better to do.

Last edited:

Kacho

Isn't there something like 200k people that refunded the game on Steam already or is that false?
lol no chance. where did you hear that?

there's so much trolling going on right now, especially on the Steam forum, I'd just ignore all of what you hear unless it's a credible source. the noise will drown out most of the honest discussion for at least a month imo

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Who? I want to see the posts. They should still be here shouldn’t they? People keep saying “ everyone who “. There should be a lot to choose from. I’ve actively been using search to try find some “overhype” posts.

Honestly, this thread is just obscene with some of the comments on it. I won’t point out some individual ones but the level of hyperbole from the usual suspects certainly made me chuckle. Talking about how they expected rock solid performance on the X, fidelity/Performance modes, how this game would have 1000 “planets”. This is another example of people letting their imaginations run away with them.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Post in thread 'Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...ay-trailer-reveal-2023.1637812/post-266270794

“gAmE OF tHe gENerAtiOn”

didn’t take very long to find some.

Honestly, you are so easy to catch out on your lies it’s laughable.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
FYI ICYMI - Microsoft estimated that Starfield would sell 10 million copies on PlayStation and still made it exclusive.

Even if we assume $45 avg. price for 10 million copies, that's like $315,000,000 in pure net profit for Xbox. They let it go, hoping that the increase in Game Pass subscriptions and, more importantly, Xbox console sales will recover that.

Considering the game is not in the "must-play" territory and is currently sitting at a lower score than Halo Infinite, I doubt their plan/hopes of recovering this lost money via console sales and increased market share would be successful.

If I was Microsoft, I would announce a PS5 port in about 6 months to come out next holiday season, but if the review score keeps sliding, I'm not sure it will even be worth it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Post in thread 'Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...ay-trailer-reveal-2023.1637812/post-266270794

“GAME OF THE GENERATION”

didn’t take very long to find some.

Honestly, you are so easy to catch out on your lies it’s laughable.
Do I get to talk down to everyone expecting seamless planet transitions?

graywolf323

false, that is the whole platform requests..
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/support here you can find the last 90 days refund request (it had an huge spike at D4 launch and a 50% increase around starfield launch)
why would there have been any spike at Diablo 4’s launch? it‘s not on Steam

edit: far more likely is that spike on June 30th was people refunding games that had gone on sale for the big Summer Sale, there’s a big increase that happens to coincide with the length of the sale

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Red5

If I was Microsoft, I would announce a PS5 port in about 6 months to come out next holiday season, but if the review score keeps sliding, I'm not sure it will even be worth it.

This is a Bethesda game with full modding support, Nexus already has 600 mods released during this week alone (https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield?tab=popular+(all+time)).

My 2 cents, it will sell and will have long legs just like Fallout 4, Skyrim and every Bethesda title.

Beat the story last night. I had a good time overall but I'm not blown away by any means. The initial disappointment in the space gameplay has mostly worn off now that I've come to terms with the fact that it's basically just another BGS Fallout game but in space (and without VATS, which is sorely missed).

I'd give it a solid 8/10, which is right around where I predicted the reviews would land (8-8.5)

Thirty7ven

Banned
86 is not a bad score.

The problem is that the Xbox fanbase hyped it as the Game of the Generation. Now this same fanbase is complaining about reviewers giving the game a low score because they're anti-Xbox.

These idiots are so predictable that the crazy shit they say doesn’t even register anymore. We also got a few running hardcore argue every negative post about Starfield around here, but I’m glad retarded shills like Shenmue boy aren’t around anymore lemme tell ya

Serious opinion about Dunkey here:

This is a masterful video and might be one of his all time best. He managed to make fun of every. single. audience. By using their own words and footage.

-The people who get way too upset by the addition of pronoun options and other stuff related to this
-The people who bash the game who haven't played it or barely played it at all(following negative crowd opinion)
-The people who overly defend the game, disregarding all shortcomings
-The people who see both sides
-The people who say 'game gets good after ___ hours'
-The No Man's Sky/Star Citizen comparers
-The older, out of touch people who think it's the second coming because they haven't played many games
-The industry journalists who have made multiple errors over the years when covering games
-Developers who promise too much
-Publisher PR and their tricky wording
-People who expected this to not be a Bethesda game
-People who expected this to be the exact same Bethesda game
-Industry leaders who give odd reasoning for the current, fluctuating state of quality in the AAA space
-Gamers who do more complaining about bad, than celebrating the good about game releases(part of GAF is guilty of this)
-And finally, the flip floppers who keep seeing impressions and review scores go up and down, to determine how they should view this game overall.

clapping-dwayne-johnson.gif

Gideon

why would there have been any spike at Diablo 4’s launch? it‘s not on Steam

edit: far more likely is that spike on June 30th was people refunding games that had gone on sale for the big Summer Sale, there’s a big increase that happens to coincide with the length of the sale
Holy shit, I didn't even realize that tf.. I completely forgot about battlenet ... Sorry..

IDappa

Honest question because I haven't played it, am I right to assume that buldurs gate has a lot of dialogue also?. Keep seeing people criticise starfield for the dialogue amount.

Honest question because I haven't played it, am I right to assume that buldurs gate has a lot of dialogue also?. Keep seeing people criticise starfield for the dialogue amount.
Baldur's Gate has a ton of dialog.

I think that most criticism for Starfields isnt how much, just that its not very good. I cannot confirm this, its what i have seen but i haven't played it.

I have been playing Baldur's Gate though and i can confirm that dialog is top notch.

IDappa

It does but BG3 is always engaging. Starfield dialogue often feels like it was written by an AI. It’s so bland.
I am not a fan of CRPG's but I always give everything a go. When you say "engaging" what do you mean, As in choice consequences?.

I have tried to re load a few times in starfield to see different dialogue branches and impacts they could have and was surprised by a few things.

IDappa

Baldur's Gate has a ton of dialog.

I think that most criticism for Starfields isnt how much, just that its not very good. I cannot confirm this, its what i have seen but i haven't played it.

I have been playing Baldur's Gate though and i can confirm that dialog is top notch.
Fair, I will give it a crack at some point. I cannot compare the two myself but am interested in the differences because of the "theres too much dialogue" crowd.

I do hope buldurs gate clicks when I play it. I have never really been a fan of the combat of those sorts of games.

killatopak

Gold Member
Just wondering how a Starfield thread gets so many more pages than the BG3 thread?
That's like asking why a Starfield thread gets so many more pages than Sea of Stars thread. There's simply more people interested in the game and the studio. There are simply fewer CRPG, or BG fans. For example Outer Worlds got more buzz than Pillars of Eternity despite being made by the same studio and being new IPs. Mass market audience.

Kacho

I am not a fan of CRPG's but I always give everything a go. When you say "engaging" what do you mean, As in choice consequences?.

I have tried to re load a few times in starfield to see different dialogue branches and impacts they could have and was surprised by a few things.
Everything just comes together perfectly. Characters say meaningful things, their delivery and facial animations are top notch, sometimes you’re given a choice, or you need to roll a D20 for a skill check. It’s masterfully done.

Starfield is your typical Bethesda game dialogue. Sometimes it’s good, most of the time it’s dull and I skip through it.

Fair, I will give it a crack at some point. I cannot compare the two myself but am interested in the differences because of the "theres too much dialogue" crowd.

I do hope buldurs gate clicks when I play it. I have never really been a fan of the combat of those sorts of games.
Honestly i had no interest until people kept saying it was GOTY material and redefines what an RPG could be.

Gave it a go and now im hooked. The dialog has immediate and severe impact at every turn. Also long term consequences. Its pretty astonishing the quality among so many NPC and branching dialog paths.

If you do give it a go, i recommend playing it without saving every 5 mins to better feel the impact of your decisions and not just reroll every time something happens that you dont like.

IDappa

Everything just comes together perfectly. Characters say meaningful things, their delivery and facial animations are top notch, sometimes you’re given a choice, or you need to roll a D20 for a skill check. It’s masterfully done.

Starfield is your typical Bethesda game dialogue. Sometimes it’s good, most of the time it’s dull and I skip through it.
I am keen to give it a go, I almost bought it on pc but I can only get to so many games unfortunately.

IDappa

Honestly i had no interest until people kept saying it was GOTY material and redefines what an RPG could be.

Gave it a go and now im hooked. The dialog has immediate and severe impact at every turn. Also long term consequences. Its pretty astonishing the quality among so many NPC and branching dialog paths.

If you do give it a go, i recommend playing it without saving every 5 mins to better feel the impact of your decisions and not just reroll every time something happens that you dont like.
Geez that last part is gonna be a problem. I am such a save scummer haha. Ive been trying to not do it in starfield.

I will definitely pick it up on steam when its on sale. Thanks for the explanation 👍

Top Bottom