• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danklord

Gold Member
I spent the entire weekend playing the game streaming over local WIFI to my oled switch running moonlight and it's... my preferred way to play? Very surprising, but there's something perfect about a game like this in a small screen format. It just feels weird on the big screen for me.

Thanks guys for the answers about NG+
Thank You So Much GIF by Johnny Climax

avin

A significant portion of the public has been playing the game since Friday. I will, however, be interested to see the Steam reviews.

Eh. "Some" portion of the public has had a chance to play. I have no idea what portion, or how significant. The game hasn't even officially released yet. The people paying for early access could be - perhaps are likely to be - a fairly select subset. So yes, I think it's premature to speak of "overall public reaction" as you did in the post I previously responded to, unless you know what portion has played. Maybe you do. For myself, though, I think it'll be interesting to see the actual reception from the overall public, when we have it.

avin

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Eh. "Some" portion of the public has had a chance to play. I have no idea what portion, or how significant. The game hasn't even officially released yet. The people paying for early access could be - perhaps are likely to be - a fairly select subset. So yes, I think it's premature to speak of "overall public reaction" as you did in the post I previously responded to, unless you know what portion has played. Maybe you do. For myself, though, I think it'll be interesting to see the actual reception from the overall public, when we have it.

avin

When I say "overall public reaction" I'm including reviewers. I don't think it is premature at all. I'm fine disagreeing on it though.

Tsaki

I didn't know that. No, they are not.

I thought all scores go to aggregate but "top critics" had more weightage.
Their score is on OC and a 5/10 would probably drop the aggregate but it's still 88. The recommendation percentage did get lower though. But it might be weightage at play like you said.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Eh, I think he was pretty well-informed. Making assumptions about his expectations and calling him a moron doesn't help. Maybe he just expected exploration to be, you know, interesting? To be accompanied by a sense of wonder and discovery, like previous Bethesda games? If that is too much to expect, I don't know what to say.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're enjoying the exploration. It sounds boring to me, but I'm fine if others feel differently. I'm just expressing my opinion.
Having 1000 planets fully explorable like 1000 skyrim maps with zero repetition was always off the table for everyone with a bit of brain, let's be real, and they literally said in the deep dive that exploration changed and was tuned for a big scope, if people doesn't listen to official info, it's not the game fault, they lied about other things, not about that.

I said that at best he is naive, if he has an agenda about shitting on the game, i take the second option, sorry not sorry.

There is plenty of exploration in the game, you may not like it, but it is there, repeated content didn't stopped people from creaming their pants in the last 2 zelda or ER, not sure why it is such a big problem in a game that is probably bigger than all 3 games combined in term of size.

The game has way worse flaws than lack of exploration.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Having 1000 planets fully explorable like 1000 skyrim maps with zero repetition was always off the table for everyone with a bit of brain, let's be real, and they literally said in the deep dive that exploration changed and was tuned for a big scope, if people doesn't listen to official info, it's not the game fault, they lied about other things, not about that.

I said that at best he is naive, if he has an agenda about shitting on the game, i take the second option, sorry not sorry.

There is plenty of exploration in the game, you may not like it, but it is there, repeated content didn't stopped people from creaming their pants in the last 2 zelda or ER, not sure why it is such a big problem in a game that is probably bigger than all 3 games combined in term of size.

The game has way worse flaws than lack of exploration.
There were only going to be 100 planets, not 1000, if you’re focusing on the exploration aspect.

Because Todd had confirmed that 900 planets would be barren. So to avoid repetition in only 100 planets should have been relatively simpler.

I think one review mentioned that they saw place #1 7 times, place #2 3 times, and place #3 8 times, copy-pasted.

That, I think, is a bit too much.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
There are PS2 games with more cats in them as well. What does that have to do with anything? RDR2 has amazing animations, but if you jump off a cliff into some water, you don't see Arthur doing a half flip twist into the water. Same with Elden Ring, Gears of War, GoW, etc.....

Simply put, climbing on top of a building to then jump off into some water is not a designated mechanic in the game.
You would think they'd get their in-air animations in check considering how much they hyped up the different levels of gravity between the planets though.

killatopak

Gold Member
This is one of my issues with the game. I don’t really care for it to be handcrafted. My issue is they should have went MORE into the procedurally generated stuff. That’s the point for using it in the first place isn’t it? That seemed to work for friggin Daggerfall two decades ago. I have no issue with repetition as long as its spaced out well. Like with the 1sq kilometer radius until you hit a wall, I’m pretty sure even with 1000 planets put together Daggerfall will still have a bigger map to explore.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There were only going to be 100 planets, not 1000, if you’re focusing on the exploration aspect.

Because Todd had confirmed that 900 planets would be barren. So to avoid repetition in only 100 planets should have been relatively simpler.

I think one review mentioned that they saw place #1 7 times, place #2 3 times, and place #3 8 times, copy-pasted.

That, I think, is a bit too much.
Sure, it is a flaw, a big one for some people, but even 100 planets without repetition was impossible to do, i clearly remember people after the deep dive being very skeptic about that.

We were pretty negative about the whole 1000 or 100 planet thing.

Personally, i just stick with main quest and sidequests and avoid planet exploration so repetition is gonna be less of a problem (i know there is repeated content even in those missions but probably less than just visiting every damn point of interest)

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is one of my issues with the game. I don’t really care for it to be handcrafted. My issue is they should have went MORE into the procedurally generated stuff. That’s the point for using it in the first place isn’t it? That seemed to work for friggin Daggerfall two decades ago. I have no issue with repetition as long as its spaced out well. Like with the 1sq kilometer radius until you hit a wall, I’m pretty sure even with 1000 planets put together Daggerfall will still have a bigger map to explore.
I think it's just a matter of luck, in such a gigantic game there is gonna be people having the same dungeon 20 times, and people that are gonna see the same dungeon 2 times.

It was the same with rdr2, the more you play, the more times you start to see the dude with a snake bite asking for help or the chick that tricks yuo into an ambush...

I'm more than 20 hours in and i hadn't a single repeated dungeon, but i explored like 2% of the game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

People called out Tears of the Kingdom for this specifically (the DLC/expansion pack meme that is popular) and I've seen some people call out ER, myself included, for boss recycling, overworld encounters (stage coach robberies), side dungeon tile sets, and itemization in terms of reused content. The difference in those games is that they can hang their hats on other strengths. ER has best in class combat and boss designs. Zelda has best in class traversal, physics, and sandbox elements. BGS games usually fell really dated in a lot of areas when it comes to tech and gameplay systems. What they do well is exploration, character customization to fit a play style, and item persistence. Those first two items being the most important. So if Starfield's exploration element is perceived to be lacking, that's a huge missing pillar that is going to effect user/professional reviews. Someone mentioned earlier about no other gaming letting you do the laundry list of features that Starfield offers but my counter would be, "which of the elements is best in class?".

We also need to consider series fatigue and expectation of standards. Yes, Starfield is a new IP but it has roots in TES and Fallout. Some people will never experience this fatigue but others will love an entry in a series with the caveat of "...but I wish it did this." And when the next entry comes along and the "...but I wish it did this" is still a problem, they'll be less forgiving. And with BGS games having so many shortcomings despite their development time and budgets, it's hard to fault anyone for expecting better gameplay systems, better animations, more competent technical experiences, etc. My breaking point was Oblivion with Morrowind being one of my favorite games of all time. Time will tell if Starfield is that breaking point for others.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm thinking the opposite. The fact that I can finish the main game in 28 hours (if that is true) means that Starfield is open to more players than just the ones who have the time to put hundreds of hours into a game. I simply don't have that kind of time, and that they still give me the opportunity to play and even finish the game is a good thing. We can all choose HOW we want to play Starfield, which I think is great.

I've just started the game so I don't know if I ever will finish it. But at least I know I could.
For me I love how Bethesda games are opened ended. I play them the same each time. I spend tons of time just roaming around doing random quests and finding dungeons and buildings to explore.

Then at some point I just say fuck it and bee-line the main quest to get it over with. Then I go back and wander around to any places I didn’t find the first time. Lol.

But if anyone wants to follow an RPG main quest following markers and being told by kings and generals where to go next to progress the main story that’s fine too. Play how you want.

It’s like sports games. I only play Season mode now. I dont play online hockey anymore and I don’t want to bother with deep and complex franchise mode being a general manager with trades and contracts too. But some people want MP gaming or being in control of a team top to bottom.

Options in gaming are great.

I think what linear gamers want is to be hand held. It’s not a matter of 20 hours or a game that is 120 hours. They don’t want to explore on their own. They want to be dictated where to go from point to point like being funneled in a corridor shooter. And that’s fine. Like what you like. But Bethesda games aren’t linear progression adventure games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
People called out Tears of the Kingdom for this specifically (the DLC/expansion pack meme that is popular) and I've seen some people call out ER, myself included, for boss recycling, overworld encounters (stage coach robberies), side dungeon tile sets, and itemization in terms of reused content. The difference in those games is that they can hang their hats on other strengths. ER has best in class combat and boss designs. Zelda has best in class traversal, physics, and sandbox elements. BGS games usually fell really dated in a lot of areas when it comes to tech and gameplay systems. What they do well is exploration, character customization to fit a play style, and item persistence. Those first two items being the most important. So if Starfield's exploration element is perceived to be lacking, that's a huge missing pillar that is going to effect user/professional reviews. Someone mentioned earlier about no other gaming letting you do the laundry list of features that Starfield offers but my counter would be, "which of the elements is best in class?".

We also need to consider series fatigue and expectation of standards. Yes, Starfield is a new IP but it has roots in TES and Fallout. Some people will never experience this fatigue but others will love an entry in a series with the caveat of "...but I wish it did this." And when the next entry comes along and the "...but I wish it did this" is still a problem, they'll be less forgiving. And with BGS games having so many shortcomings despite their development time and budgets, it's hard to fault anyone for expecting better gameplay systems, better animations, more competent technical experiences, etc. My breaking point was Oblivion with Morrowind being one of my favorite games of all time. Time will tell if Starfield is that breaking point for others.
Kinda true.

The thing is, the exploration is considered lackey by SOME people, if you look at the general picture, the game has an high score on MC (for what is worth) and the OT both here and on reee are full of people that are enjoying the hell out of this game exploration, a lot of negative people are people who haven't played the game yet.

Thief1987

Their score is on OC and a 5/10 would probably drop the aggregate but it's still 88. The recommendation percentage did get lower though. But it might be weightage at play like you said.
OC doesn't work like that. There is no any weightage, but only reviews which are from "Top critic" outlets are counted in the aggregate. Other reviews only affect critic recommendations percentage.

JTCx

Kinda true.

The thing is, the exploration is considered lackey by SOME people, if you look at the general picture, the game has an high score on MC (for what is worth) and the OT both here and on reee are full of people that are enjoying the hell out of this game exploration, a lot of negative people are people who haven't played the game yet.
new levels of cope.

bender

What time is it?
Kinda true.

I never said otherwise. And a lot of negative responses are from people who have played the game. Dismissing one or the other out of hand isn't the way. I'm glad to be emotionally detached as these are the most interesting discussions to read, crazy tribalism aside.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
the main problem here that this is just a Bethesda game, they didn't even try to shake the formula just a little.
I’m seeing this more and more about this title and am justified somewhat in the way I tempered my expectations. +1 for me for not getting carried away with the hype, something that has taken me many years of being disappointed to achieve.

I expect that quite a lot of people will be turned off by the first 10-20 hours when the $100 buyers remorse won't play its hand.
Isn’t that a long time to spend with a game, I don’t see average gamers investing that much time in to get to “the good part”

Also seen some of the endgame stuff

space magic doesn’t look good

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I never said otherwise. And a lot of negative responses are from people who have played the game. Dismissing one or the other out of hand isn't the way. I'm glad to be emotionally detached as these are the most interesting discussions to read, crazy tribalism aside.
Yeah, it's always endearing seeing fanboys fighting over big exclusive games :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Who overhyped starfield? I keep hearing this from the usual suspects but I don’t remember anyone overhyping the game.
There’s a member with the name Starfield Starfield how about that guy?

I remember that guy giving it the large ones on a regular basis. Let’s not pretend that this game was not held on a pedestal as the shining light that will save Xbox as a brand. Because it was, and it has achieved that somewhat as it is a good game, delivered in a relatively bug free state. Now they need to continue to do that on a regular basis and we can start to see some real good competition and awake “arrogant Sony” from their slumber.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There’s a member with the name Starfield Starfield how about that guy?

I remember that guy giving it the large ones on a regular basis. Let’s not pretend that this game was not held on a pedestal as the shining light that will save Xbox as a brand. Because it was, and it has achieved that somewhat as it is a good game, delivered in a relatively bug free state. Now they need to continue to do that on a regular basis and we can start to see some real good competition and awake “arrogant Sony” from their slumber.
Maybe if this poster’s pronouns are “ everyone / everybody “ 😂

the main draw and the main problem here that this is just a Bethesda game, they didn't even try to shake the formula just a little.
I think that is what actually made things finally click for me. I was caught up in the hype and wondering how the game would play what it would do, what it wouldn't do. It was all too much leading up to the release.

Within a couple hours playing realizing that it is exactly a new Bethesda RPG, nothing more or less. If really crystalized my expectations and how I should be playing. And I ended up having a great weekend with the game and excited to play more.

Just judging it as new Bethesda RPG I'd say it's an absolute winner, whereas Fallout 4 missed the mark for me, this feels like a return to form. No one else makes games like they do, and they unabashedly stuck to the formula here. I think they should have made that a bit more clear instead of letting everyone's imagination run wild, but it is what it is. Not gonna blow you away with 'fresh' and 'new' like BG3. But if you wanted a Bethesda RPG in a space setting, you got a great one.

Top Bottom