• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alebrije

"Since when is 86 a bad score!?"

This thing is going to land somewhere between 84-85. Now consider the next mainline Mario or Zelda comes in at 84. It would be an absolute disaster for Nintendo. Your system sellers have to be mid 90's. GOW, TOTK etc.
Its not bad , it could also be 80 and still be good. For a new IP from Bethesda is a good score.

The game is fine the problem for some people is that is not 95 or more...Maybe Starfield 2 will get a better score. Due that people in general is having fun playing the game , I think Bethesda will keep alive this IP like Fallout or Elders Scrolls.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Post in thread 'Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...ay-trailer-reveal-2023.1637812/post-266270794

“gAmE OF tHe gENerAtiOn”

didn’t take very long to find some.

Honestly, you are so easy to catch out on your lies it’s laughable.
Huh you found 1 example. How am lying? Lol. Where’s ALL these EVERYBODYS that were overhyping!? You can find 1 maybe 4 if you stretch the definition of over overhype enough here.
Don’t get mad because you are exaggerating. 🤷‍♂️

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Huh you found 1 example. How am lying? Lol. Where’s ALL these EVERYBODYS that were overhyping!? You can find 1 maybe 4 if you stretch the definition of over overhype enough here.
Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This thing is going to land somewhere between 84-85. Now consider the next mainline Mario or Zelda comes in at 84. It would be an absolute disaster for Nintendo. Your system sellers have to be mid 90's. GOW, TOTK etc.

I'm afraid you're mistaken there.

Between 2019 and 2021, the players in the aforementioned group spent approximately $15.9 billion on PlayStation hardware, accessories, games, and services.

What? On podcasts, on forums, on YT videogames channels...It was nothing but Starfield for God knows how long. Now I learn that there was no hype behind one of the most hyped titles ever. I certainly need to consult a psychiatrist because of my hallucinations...😑

damidu

What? On podcasts, on forums, on YT videogames channels...It was nothing but Starfield for God knows how long. Now I learn that there was no hype behind one of the most hyped titles ever. I certainly need to consult a psychiatrist because of my hallucinations...😑
wouldn’t bother trying to prove anyone how this game was hyped to high heavens by fanboys.

they were either off the forum (and internet) last 2 months or are wilfully obtuse to the point of brain damage, waste of time either way.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Having 1000 planets fully explorable like 1000 skyrim maps with zero repetition was always off the table for everyone with a bit of brain, let's be real, and they literally said in the deep dive that exploration changed and was tuned for a big scope, if people doesn't listen to official info, it's not the game fault, they lied about other things, not about that.

I said that at best he is naive, if he has an agenda about shitting on the game, i take the second option, sorry not sorry.

No one, including me or the guy you're reacting to, said he expected anything like that. It's just a straw man.

Now you're saying he "has an agenda about shitting on the game"? Come on. No offense, but that's dumb. Not everyone with a criticism has "an agenda to shit on the game." He is well-informed. He covered the game prior to launch. He was skeptical of Bethesda being able to deliver interesting planetary exploration, and he was right about that. He backs his points up thoroughly. Further, he is not bashing the game. In fact, he says that if you stick to the main story and faction quests, you can have a fun 30-40 hours.

The game has way worse flaws than lack of exploration.

Yes, I know. I focused on the topic of exploration, because that's where the conversation started -- with you saying I was wrong about that. But I understand that the game has other flaws -- no space travel, cumbersome menus, fast travel and loading screens that dilute immersion, generic main story, no aliens, limitations imposed by the hoary old engine, etc.

Anyhow, at this point, I've heard enough to make up my mind. I'm going to pass on Starfield. It's just not doing it for me. Maybe I'll check it out again in a couple years, after the modders have fiddled with it. Cheers.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Eurogamer is "top critic", EIP is not.
correct, interesting enough though Eurogamer Portugal’s 6/10 is now showing on OpenCritic but the Top Critic Average didn’t budge at all from 88% 🤔 seems a bit peculiar mathematically, you’d think that would have dropped it to 87% at the very least?
Welcome to all the new players

Grab an early suit before it gets patched

hopefully this doesn’t get patched before tomorrow evening when I’ll have time to play again 😬

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its out on Game Pass already. Played the game for an hour or so dabbling. I quit when it said go land on Kreet. Quick impressions:

Played on Series X.

- Canned tutorials at the beginning of the game (mining, shoot out, fly a ship and space combat). Includes some unskippable cut scenes. But when it comes to normal NPC dialogue, it's like ES and Skyrim where you can press a button to move it along fast
- After the starting cave tutorial, you make your character. Its easy to use and pretty detailed like other Bethesda games
- Has a gambryo feel to the game
- Really good looking detailed graphics
- 30 fps gaming leads to smooth flowing gameplay when going slow or straight ahead. Choppy when panning the camera fast. The game engine feels exactly the same as Skyrim or Fallout 4 on Xbox One/One X. So a lot smoother 30 fps than Skyrim/Fallout 3 on 360, but not as good as any old game boosted on Series X to 60 fps
- Make sure to tune the motion blur on/off and film grain slider to how you want. It'll make a difference
- Inventory menus have a radial dial system. Then it goes to tabs. Not like Fallout or ES games with horizonal tabs right off the bat
- Like all Bethesda RPGs, you can pick up all kinds of random gear and useless stuff like plates
- Very good voice acting
- Lip syncing facing an NPC is hit and miss But when you see an NPC talk side view, the facial/jaw/muscles looks pretty good
- I was a total disaster doing space combat. But it moves very smooth. You got adjustable boosts/deboosts like SW Squadrons for weapons, missiles, shield etc...

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Yeah, games like Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI, Death Stranding, etc.. clearly aren’t system sellers either.

Genius comment.

Lokaum D+

Damn, this high steaks questlines, that you have to infiltrate some place and plant something without being spotted are really hard and fun to do.

- Accept Quest
- Teleport to a planet that u never set foot
- Rush into a "prohibited area"
- Board the ship
- Plant the device
- immediately use teleport to return the quest ( there is no need to exit the area or the ship )

There is absolutely nothing to avoid, no security, no cameras and the only guard has a AI of a potato, a lot of quests play like this and ppl still think this is a 10/10 masterpiece.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Yeah, games like Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI, Death Stranding, etc.. clearly aren’t system sellers either.

Genius comment.
Calm down and show us where Phil touched you on the doll.

Dunnas

correct, interesting enough though Eurogamer Portugal’s 6/10 is now showing on OpenCritic but the Top Critic Average didn’t budge at all from 88% 🤔 seems a bit peculiar mathematically, you’d think that would have dropped it to 87% at the very least?
It is not peculiar. depends what the actual current score is if it included decimals

106 review x 88 = 9328

+ 60 for new review = 9388 / 107 reviews = 87.74. The new 6/10 review only reduces the average by 0.26 based on the number of reviews, so if the previous score is 77.76 or higher it wouldn't get rounded down to 77 from the one additional lower review.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is not peculiar. depends what the actual current score is if it included decimals

106 review x 88 = 9328

+ 60 for new review = 9388 / 107 reviews = 87.74. The new 6/10 review only reduces the average by 0.26 based on the number of reviews, so if the previous score is 77.76 or higher it wouldn't get rounded down to 77 from the one additional lower review.
Yes, but not all 106 reviews would be top critics and, therefore, in the aggregate OC, right?

So the average would be lower. I haven't counted the number of TC reviews, but I suspect they would be ~50%? So more like 52-53 reviews. Also, we don't know but OC may have a weightage system working at the backend -- which is perhaps why the scores haven't budged yet.

foamdino

Downloading now - my boy is set up to play it *all day* - he loved Skyrim and I expect him to enjoy this. A game can be fun, not for everyone and obviously flawed all at the same time. The people who care deeply about review scores are either hyping games up or pushing back against the hype.

tmlDan

Just started today, played a couple of hours...really slow start and i might have to cheat and get rid of the incumbered bs, its hella annoying.

Not really intrigued or invested yet but i plan on playing a lot more tomorrow

peish

Just finished the main story.

Very underwhelmed.

The salt is going to be real when the masses get to start playing and finish this game.

Going to be lots of "How the fuck did this get a 88 on Metacritic" posts.

how does the NG+ works? i like to know before starting the game tonight. the cock teasers were teasing we need to rush through the first playthrough to enjoy the real meat of SF?

how does the NG+ works? i like to know before starting the game tonight. the cock teasers were teasing we need to rush through the first playthrough to enjoy the real meat of SF?
Nah, there's no need to rush through the story for NG+. There are a few neat things about it but I would recommend just to play normally.

Last edited:

peish

Nah, there's no need to rush through the story for NG+. There are a few neat things about it but I would recommend just to play normally.

so it's like any other NG+ around? you start with all the experience and gears and unlocked higher difficulty?

no additional changes to the end game storyline?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is a pretty good review / analysis of the game and its weaknesses with actual examples that I haven't seen others talk about.

For example, he mentions:
  • A very cool side questline where the player exposes a major corruption scandal and personnel in an authoritative position. But after doing everything, nothing changes. The personnel stays in that position, the world doesn't react to whatever you did, and everything in the world remains the same.
  • He tried to smuggle contraband into a city by parking his ship (with the contraband) far away from the city and finding another ship that could be cleared by security. He thought it'd be a creative way to get past. But the contraband automatically transfers to the new ship, and the security forces blast him. He said there is not enough freedom in the game.
I like the specific examples in his video, instead of just meaningless rants about why the game is 0/10 or meaningless hype about why the game is 10/10.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Starefield
Fast travel puts you outside a house so you have another loading screen.

:pie_roffles:

bruh what the actual fuck? lol

I was hype to jump in tonight and do a deep session, but might just continue BG3 and start Starfield over the weekend or something.

Hope everyone is having fun with its officially release! (I'm still waiting for that fucking Starfield beanie to arrive)

TonyK

This is a pretty good review / analysis of the game and its weaknesses with actual examples that I haven't seen others talk about.

• A very cool side questline where the player exposes a major corruption scandal and personnel in an authoritative position. But after doing everything, nothing changes. The personnel stays in that position, the world doesn't react to whatever you did, and everything in the world remains the same.
  • He tried to smuggle contraband into a city by parking his ship (with the contraband) far away from the city and finding another ship that could be cleared by security. He thought it'd be a creative way to get past. But the contraband automatically transfers to the new ship, and the security forces blast him. He said there is not enough freedom in the game.
I like the specific examples in his video, instead of just meaningless rants about why the game is 0/10 or meaningless hype about why the game is 10/10.

I understand those examples, but for me the problem is that people are reviewing the game for the things they want the game does, not for the actual game. It's like if I review The Last of Us (my favourite game) badly because I can't change clothes, is not open world, I can't command Ellie, I can't grab the guns of the corpses, etc, etc...

So, the question is, can you do those things in Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur's Gate 3? In Cyberpunk? Because the actual backslash to Starfield reminds me to the backslash to Cyberpunk because it didn't do thinks that were possible in GTA, so people expected all the stuff that Cyberpunk did plus all the stuff that GTA did. Now, I think it's the same scenario: people made an imaginary vision of the game before release, and when they play it, if it doesn't accommodate to that preestablished idea, it's a deception.

In my case, as my hype was very low because I know how Bethesda games are, now I'm amazed for the quality and scope of the game. It's a lot more than what I expected it will be. So, in resume, I think even those reviews so complete with examples are still subjective, as all reviews are, including mine, as it is a matter of perspective.

twilo99

Gold Member
I was playing BG3 daily and I haven’t touched it since this thing came out.. my goal is to finish both by the end of the year lol

It's a Bethesda game. Nothing is scripted in those. It's mostly simulated. If that person isn't fired, that's cause simulation doesn't know concept of firing a corrupt person. Even if you kill that person, it won't hire a new person to take their place.

RPG elements in these games mostly depend on how well you understand simulation, what stuff you can do in it. It's pretty demanding on the player.

Once you do, it offers unparalleled freedom.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I understand those examples, but for me the problem is that people are reviewing the game for the things they want the game does, not for the actual game. It's like if I review The Last of Us (my favourite game) badly because I can't change clothes, is not open world, I can't command Ellie, I can't grab the guns of the corpses, etc, etc...

So, the question is, can you do those things in Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur's Gate 3? In Cyberpunk? Because the actual backslash to Starfield reminds me to the backslash to Cyberpunk because it didn't do thinks that were possible in GTA, so people expected all the stuff that Cyberpunk did plus all the stuff that GTA did. Now, I think it's the same scenario: people made an imaginary vision of the game before release, and when they play it, if it doesn't accommodate to that preestablished idea, it's a deception.

In my case, as my hype was very low because I know how Bethesda games are, now I'm amazed for the quality and scope of the game. It's a lot more than what I expected it will be. So, in resume, I think even those reviews so complete with examples are still subjective, as all reviews are, including mine, as it is a matter of perspective.
But games like TLOU or GOW are relatively linear story-driven action games. They are not built around freedom, choices, and exploration. TLOU/Starfield belong to two different categories of games.

Starfield (or Bethesda games) are sandbox RPG games that with exploration, choices, and freedom at their core. They do not have high-quality stories or acting or motion capture like TLOU or God of War games.

Also, Bethesda themselves market Starfield as a game that offers unparalleled freedom.

jywE56B.jpg

Based on that, I think it is very reasonable to expect that level of freedom and exploration from a Bethesda game. The questline complaint he has is especially valid. Why go through the entire questline when it has 0 effects other than giving you some XP? It just becomes shallow and meaningless at some point.

But games like TLOU or GOW are relatively linear story-driven action games. They are not built around freedom, choices, and exploration. TLOU/Starfield belong to two different categories of games.

Starfield (or Bethesda games) are sandbox RPG games that with exploration, choices, and freedom at their core. They do not have high-quality stories or acting or motion capture like TLOU or God of War games.

Also, Bethesda themselves market Starfield as a game that offers unparalleled freedom.

jywE56B.jpg

Based on that, I think it is very reasonable to expect that level of freedom and exploration from a Bethesda game. The questline complaint he has is especially valid. Why go through the entire questline when it has 0 effects other than giving you some XP? It just becomes shallow and meaningless at some point.

I like that you conveniently sidestepped my post just above you that addresses this concern.

jm89

Metro has published something but has no score think it will come later.

"In terms of both story and gameplay Starfield is disappointingly shallow, with lots going on but very little of it being of any substance."
From the same article

We are enjoying it more now than we did in its opening hours but once we get to the full review, we still can’t imagine giving it any higher than a 6 out of 10.
:messenger_grimmacing_

They are classed as a top critic on opencritic aswell.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I’ve actively been using search to try find some “overhype” posts.
This is a good one:

There's also a 41 page thread with mixed results.

TonyK

jywE56B.jpg

It depends what it means "freedom" for you as a player, because in my case it's the game with more freedom I played in a lot time. For example, Cyberpunk 2077 (a game I played twice) feels like a linear game in comparison. I think what you are referring is that freedom of choice doesn't have an impact in the game world, and I must agree on that, it doesn't have real impact. But I think that's something it happens in all the games. It would be incredibly difficult and demanding to do it properly. I still remember the final choices of Mass Effect 3 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom