• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield was a great release, says Bethesda

Draugoth

Gold Member
starfield-gamescom.jpg

The Gamer had the chance to talk to lead creative producer Tim Lamb, and here, he admitted that the development team was really proud of Starfield and considers the space RPG to be a great release:

“We were really proud of Starfield,” says lead creative producer Tim Lamb. “It’s been a great release for us”.

That, however, doesn’t mean that Bethesda isn’t aware of the criticism it’s faced.

“I understand. We listen to the community, we hear the feedback,” says Lamb. “There's justification to that. But for us, we're our own toughest critics. So, we hear what the community says, we're looking at what we're interested in, and we have plans going forward.

Source

Pagusas

Elden Member
Their version of a cyberpunk city has no cars, no streets just one main road...its just so small scale compared to their previous games
I really wish they would have stressed the narrative that "earth was lost, 99.9% of people died, and what you see now is all that is left" and made the game more about humanity trying to survive than this weird mix of utopia/all is well.

Shubh_C63

great release like death.

Bethesda should be incredibly efficient to release something like this, and comfortably and happily plan the next 6 years of DLCs on their beta access game.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
yeah because idiots like me paid full price.

i played a few hours of it and hated it. i'm never buying a bethesda game again at least not at launch. i'll wait until the full game/dlc has released and it's on a steep sale and even then it'll still probably suck.

AfroRonin

Neo Member
“I understand. We listen to the community, we hear the feedback,” says Lamb. “There's justification to that. But for us, we're our own toughest critics. So, we hear what the community says, we're looking at what we're interested in, and we have plans going forward.
“We were really proud of Starfield,” says lead creative producer Tim Lamb. “It’s been a great release for us”.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Their version of a cyberpunk city has no cars, no streets just one main road...its just so small scale compared to their previous games
And no sexy women because remember, in space, nobody can hear you fap.

Last edited:

Novaex

Neo Member
Buying this game for 100€ was my biggest gaming related regret in the last 10 years. I was so hyped for a space open world rpg that I just couldn't wait for other player's opinions and preordered.
As someone who loves good stories and good written characters this game was offensively bad. I'm still shocked how they created their own IP, had all the freedom and managed to make the most bland and boring universe possible. The Space ship building and flying around was the only part I enjoyed about the game. The bad steam reviews and low playerbase in comparison to othe Bethesda games speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Complistic

I really wish they would have stressed the narrative that "earth was lost, 99.9% of people died, and what you see now is all that is left" and made the game more about humanity trying to survive than this weird mix of utopia/all is well.
I feel like at some point during development this was the plan and then they pivoted to whatever the tone is supposed to be now. Like the original idea didn't focus test well or something.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like at some point during development this was the plan and then they pivoted to whatever the tone is supposed to be now. Like the original idea didn't focus test well or something.
Yeah there are narrative hints throughout that feel like left overs from a previous plan. The change in narrative direction in the end made no sense given the small scale of human settlements. I really would love to know what happened behind the scenes, and if there was a last minute rush that resulted in the very out of sync narrative/game design we got.

SJRB

Gold Member
Starfield is an outrageously bad game with a ton of bad elements that were deliberately kept from trailers.

Bethesda knew damn well what they were doing when they released this junk and them going “we were proud of Starfield and consider it a great success” is just spitting in the face of pretty much everyone who bought this.

Classic Bethesda - drop a subpar product and just pretend you just released an incredible game.

Was a good game, solid 8, but i must admit i kinda grow tired of Bethesda formula.. thought i will like SF much more, still good game.
Cons were no performance mode for consoles at launch. loading ofc and didn't like the ending.
Pros are the combat, probably their best yet.
I think that having one big map like FO would be better but overall still enjoyable game.

Pelao

I finally tried it through gamepass when they added the performance mode.
First time I've ever dropped a Bethesda game. I don't know if I'll ever pick it up again to finish it.

I loved how all the Starfield-Evangelists on this board grew eerily quiet once it released and lost its playerbase faster than a Fat Camp with a McDonalds across the street loses its members.

ssringo

I'm sure it was a great release. People bought into the hype becauae it was a new Bethesda single player game.

I wonder how much good will they burned through and if as many people will blind buy the next Bethesda release. Even though I felt I got my money's worth from Starfield I know I won't.

King Dazzar

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

I love historic Bethesda stuff, but Starfield has problems deep within its core. So, I fear for Elder Scrolls, if they're busy patting themselves on the back with what they've done here. Not even a new engine would address all the problems I had with Starfield. GOTY, my hairy arse.

HogIsland

Even if they're happy with quality of the product, there's no way it was the commercial success they projected. Fallout 4 has twice as many active players.

Brock2621

I'll play it in 2025 after it's been patched half a dozen times. I AM interested, but not off bat when I've got other great backlogs games to get through this fall/winter.

Top Bottom