• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield was a great release, says Bethesda

Not sure what you are talking about. Just look at this happening Neon club.

Starfield-Screenshot-016.webp

resitas-laugh.gif

Is this from the "Paris 2024 expansion"?

Certinty

One of the worst 'huge' releases I've ever played if not the single worst.

Completely outdated in every way, graphically, gameplay, story, quest design and what not.

What a mess. Felt like a 360/PS3 game if even that.

Starfield was... okay... dated... yes... fun... sure but only for the first 20 hours... the rest of the game was a grind with a surprisingly small universe to explore since the procedurally generated stuff is just awful... and pointless. Terrible dialogue scenes, laughably bad writing and a weak plot plus mediocre visuals for a current gen release. Bethesda really need to retire the engine that runs their games for something a bit more cutting edge... and less buggy!

Last edited:

Bashtee

I always got so sleepy while playing the game that I used it whenever I had trouble sleeping.
Buying this game for 100€ was my biggest gaming related regret in the last 10 years.
I feel that. I paid 100€ for the ultimate collection of Battlefield 2042.

Not sure what you are talking about. Just look at this happening Neon club.

Starfield-Screenshot-016.webp

resitas-laugh.gif
what the actual fuck is that? I'm glad I stopped playing the game before I hit that point.

StereoVsn

I always got so sleepy while playing the game that I used it whenever I had trouble sleeping.

what the actual fuck is that? I'm glad I stopped playing the game before I hit that point.
That’s Bethesda’s idea of an edgy space club 😂.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loved how all the Starfield-Evangelists on this board grew eerily quiet once it released and lost its playerbase faster than a Fat Camp with a McDonalds across the street loses its members.
A lot of us were really stoked about Starfield. I know I was. I am very glad I waited for the early impressions away from the hype to surface. Within a week the truth became obvious. In the end we got guys like Colt Eastwood claiming you needed to play the game 600 times or whatever before the story really got good.

Last edited:

HogIsland

Bethesda's games have been getting worse and worse since Morrowind. If they consider that a success then good for them I guess.
The gameplay feel and tech presentation has steadily improved while the world building, exploration and writing declines. Skyrim might've been the sweet spot we'll never get back to.

I have more hope in Larian making an Elder Scrolls successor than Bethesda at this point.

yeah because idiots like me paid full price.

i played a few hours of it and hated it. i'm never buying a bethesda game again at least not at launch. i'll wait until the full game/dlc has released and it's on a steep sale and even then it'll still probably suck.
Don't worry pal, I paid for the premium 'fuck you, pay me' edition. Never again with Bethesda.

StereoVsn

A lot of us were really stoked about Starfield. I know I was. I am very glad I waited for the early impressions away from the hype to surface. Within a week the truth became obvious. In the end we got guys like Colt Eastwood claiming you needed to play the game 600 times or whatever before the story really got good.
Yep, I was extremely disappointed after the actual proper info came out. Was really hopeful they were going to deliver proper space exploration game and Todd was insisting there were lessons learned from Fallout 4.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It is what it is. TES met the same fate as the Deus Ex games (with Invisible War being "consolized" to hell and back) and Thief with Deadly Shadows.
How exactly were games after Mororwind consolized? Dumbed down? Sure, but not because of consoles.

Morrowind and Starfield on both ends of that prove that wrong.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How exactly were games after Mororwind consolized? Dumbed down? Sure, but not because of consoles.

Morrowind and Starfield on both ends of that prove that wrong.
I don't know if because of consoles, but I would bet the need to sell more on consoles was a good reason for it.

Console users of that time weren't used to complex stuff like deep RPG systems, so there sure was a need for dumbing things now.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't know if because of consoles, but I would bet the need to sell more on consoles was a good reason for it.

Console users of that time weren't used to complex stuff like deep RPG systems, so there sure was a need for dumbing things now.
I agree they dumbed them down and altered things for a broader audience, but that's not because of the consoles specifically.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I agree they dumbed them down and altered things for a broader audience, but that's not because of the consoles specifically.
No way to know for sure I guess, but I would bet money on it.

I mean, they already had their PC audience who was perfectly fine and happy with Morrowind's mechanics. There was no need to change them for the worse aside from wanting to sell the game to a new audience, the one that plays on consoles.

Fess

The vehicle update was a letdown for me, works on flat planets without vegetation but otherwise it’s easier to walk. I knew this would happen. Kinda silly that I can sit at home and just imagine problems and they can’t even spot the problems when playtesting and release the update with obvious issues.

They should’ve played more No Man’s Sky. Hello Games has iterated on everything until it works well. Just make small trees and rocks break. Or make the jet more powerful and last longer. Or add a smaller hover craft of some sort that always fly above the trees, same as in No Man’s Sky early on before they added full flight controls.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean its no concord... but the basic engine for a good game is there. I am hoping the DLC expansion will be worth it.

Natsuko

Oh great - what do I have to throw in for that effect? I could really use some of that stuff right now.

I would say I'm a fan of some Bethesda games. Especially TES. With Oblivion I even went far enough to play through the thing with all the race options etc. I have even done a no horse, no fast travel, all guilds, all quests etc. run. There are few things I hope for as much as a Morrowind remake / remaster without new features like quest markers etc.. Just like it was back then. You have to read and use your head.

I couldn't stand Starfield for 10 hours. And I had fun with No Man's Sky Vanilla ... I even played Fallout Shelter for longer. I gave up in the town in Starfield. It was awful after a terrible start. My husband played through the thing. Watching it wasn't any better.

The game is much, much, much too big for the old-fashioned engine. I can even imagine it in a much smaller TES VI, if they don't make it (much) bigger than TES V. I can live with the known weaknesses, I've practically inhaled them over umpteen games. But Starfield was far too big for this old piece of technology.

Just do one more dlc after SS, put it out next year, and then just let the community take over with mods. Put all those leftover people on ES VI.

Last edited:

Fess

I mean its no concord... but the basic engine for a good game is there. I am hoping the DLC expansion will be worth it.
I’ve logged a couple hundred hours on it, the action and faction quests and base building and spaceship design is all great, but I can easily see where it fails:

Too slow planet traversal, no exciting exploration, every universe is unique meaning no point telling someone about this cool thing you found because they don’t find it anyway, copy paste side quests, copy paste citizens and white people holocaust, repetitive main quests, not enough cities and villages, not enough aliens, flat or fat without waist, no cool survival gameplay from environmental challenges, overcomplicated space battles.

I’m glad that they keep on working on it. Space games has been my thing since Elite in the 80s. The expansion is hopefully fixing some exploration problems by being more hand-crafted.

Last edited:
It is improving, its already in a better state than launch. I'm going to give it another 6 months to get better through, and in the meantime its now the absolute perfect time to play Cyberpunk as that game is in its final state and 100% amazing.

I'm doing the same but instead playing Red Dead Redemption 2. Now that the Mako has been released And as soon as the DLC gets released, I'm diving all in on starfield.

Laptop1991

And that attitude is why Bethesda's games are the way they are now lol. they only care about online stores and MTX today anyway.

peter42O

Neo Member
Definitely was for me. Around 500 hours put into what is my current game of the generation. Love Starfield!!! Been wanting a sci-fi RPG with space ship combat and amazing quests for a long ass time. Will buy every $5 DLC quest from Bethesda Game Studios as this game will be played as long as they release new content. Shattered Space in three weeks!!! Let's go baby!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
It wasn't terrible, I had good fun playing through to the end. I haven't felt the need to go back like I did so many times with Skyrim. The problem is it is missing so much. Hopefully they continue adding to to it and they can have sort of a Cyberpunk like comeback.......I'm not super optimistic though because there are some major structural flaws (loading screens, lack of journal/logging system, poor base building)

Markio128

Gold Member
I wouldn’t call it a bad game, but because of the hype, it was genuinely one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

It was the gaming equivalent of being catfished.

GymWolf

Gold Member

You can steal the costume and give it to your companion.

Still sure you don't wanna play it?

BigLee74

I'm sorry, but your clip perfectly encapsulates the shitty AI that reminds me of Skyrim guards "must have been the wind".
I wasn’t showcasing the AI 😂. It’s just something amusing that happened to me yesterday. Especially his head which clipped through the ceiling 😂.

Still the most fun I’ve had with a game in the past year.

I’m pretty sure a lot of new folk will love it if it comes to PS!

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wasn’t showcasing the AI 😂. It’s just something amusing that happened to me yesterday. Especially his head which clipped through the ceiling 😂.

Still the most fun I’ve had with a game in the past year!
It's all good. Just was funny for multiple reasons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Super necessary, still the best outro ever made

Btw this game has probably the biggest, most broken and hilarious quest bug i ever seen in my entire life, it's in the cohh stream of the game, around ep 24 if i remember well, if you completed that quest you know how absolutely fucked that shit is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom