• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYPD in full intimidation mode

B39zIQPIYAE2Dl-.jpg

B39whA5CMAIeJNh.jpg:large

SykoTech

Fucking wow.

Unlike the Michael Brown incident, this was caught on video. No ifs, ands, or buts about the tragic way things went down. And yet still no trial at all?

Guess I should be thankful that I'm a relatively thin black guy of average height. Better keep my glasses on at all times too. Whatever it takes to look less threatening to the cops so they don't feel the need to put me in an illegal chokehold that they won't have to worry about suffering any repercussions over.

...shit.

Corgi

Banned
I feel like the topic post is missing something... Like what are the evidence against this?

Seems so one sided that my mind feels like something is missing.

Did the jury see something that we didn't see?

Paskil

I feel like the topic post is missing something... Like what are the evidence against this?

What else is there to see? The video shows everything.

Zozz

Banned

Yeah, they saw that black lives don't matter.

What is there to not see? Literally the entire thing is on video.

It should send a chill down the spine of any ethnic minority, that people who are supposed to be 'protecting and serving' think this way.

What sends a chill down my spine is the fact that my kid will be born into a society that will hate and fear them. As a Black person in the US that's their birthright. And insisting they keep their head down and be "one of the good ones" isn't a viable alternative.

They saw a cop kill a black man without justification.

And they acted in accordance with their values.

ICKE

Banned
To me the problem seems to be that media is not really interested about these individual stories per se, they are not going to sell properly as the victims are usually poor people from troublesome backgrounds or neighborhoods. But if there is a large violent protest, you can better believe it is going to be the headline and every torched piece of property will be televised to millions of Americans across the country - also around the world. People will witness the riots and you have personalities throwing around questions such as :

"What should we do about looting? Do you think we should enact more restrictions as to how our law enforcement conducts itself? *car burning on the background*"

Every story is not moving the country towards reconciliation but instead people are growing accustomed to stories related to police brutality while at the same time becoming increasingly anxious about these protests. And it's not like I would think any differently if some large crowd of criminals was about to loot my business, I'd demand that they be dealt with harshly.

Gorillaz

lol mayor made sure to have nothing but black people in the background of his talk the very definition of "ain't shit"

Vandova

Neo Member
This one hit me harder than most others because of the video of the incident and just watching a man die for no reason at all. I want to type more, but there's nothing more for me to say.

Exactly, I really can't find anything to say.

Cyan

Banned

Since this won't be going to trial, we'll never know.

Personally speaking there's nothing wrong with any of those pictures. The minute they park army vehicles then I'll change my mind.

You dont see anything wrong with completely surrounding peaceful protestors?

Thats intimidation.

Nothing wrong with being prepared - two blocks away, out of sight. Parking a convoy of jail buses within view of the protest? That sends a fuck you we're coming for you message.

Oh, good.

Another promise of another federal civil rights investigation that won't ultimately mean anything.

I knew I wasn't holding my breath for nothing!

This is fucking stupid.

tbm24

You dont see anything wrong with completely surrounding peaceful protestors?

Thats intimidation.

Nothing wrong with being prepared - two blocks away, out of sight. Parking a convoy of jail buses within view of the protest? That sends a fuck you we're coming for you message.
Not it doesn't, to me it doesn't. It sends a message of maintain order to me simply because they are just buses and bikes and barricades. I've seen more than enough protests in this city to know that NYPD at the very least handles protest very well.

Coins

Banned
I can't really blame the cops for mobilizing after seeing what happened with the absence of police in Ferguson on that first night.

Open and shut really. The evidence missed out on a pretty fundamental evidentiary requirement in a case like this.

There was 0 evidence presented that Eric Garner was in fact white. Really a pretty major screw up here.

There is a perverse incentive for cops to have their victims die rather than be seriously injured. This not only prevents them from living to testify (allowing the cop to give the one sided and unchallenged "I feared for my life, they lunged for my gun, they were resisting arrest, etc"), but it creates a much higher legal burden in terms of them facing any consequences.

That and you reverse the positions in any situation like this and all the procedural/legal "safeguards" that get brought out when the cop is at fault go out the window. No one would care if someone shot a cop because they were afraid of getting shot themselves, no one would care if someone tried to restrain a cop from beating their friend and didn't have malicious intent...

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
The problem is that I personally know more people who agree with these decisions and side with the cops than I know who don't. If I see one more 'that thug got what he deserved' Facebook post, I'm going to go insane.

Civil disobedience is totally warranted here, but it will never be seen as anything but a fringe movement and will be sharply criticized by the vast majority of the population. Still needs to happen, though.

Bonus points if they blame Obama.

Chariot

There is a perverse incentive for cops to have their victims die rather than be seriously injured. This not only prevents them from living to testify (allowing the cop to give the one sided and unchallenged "I feared for my life, they lunged for my gun, they were resisting arrest, etc"), but it creates a much higher legal burden in terms of them facing any consequences.
But in this case they had a whole crowd watching. I believe that this was not intended was a honest mistake. However it's still a mistake. They had every right to hold him, but not right to use a choke hold. Literally. Choke-holds are banned in the state. And their ignorance of him pleading for air makes it even worse. This was an accident - but an accident that could've been easily prevented if the police would've worked as intended.
And not bringing this even to court is foul.
what did he write?
Some shit about not provoking police officers.

acrid

Banned
I saw that shit before you edited it.

Thanks for being part of the problem.

Was actually going to add more but then got distracted. No, I'm not part of the problem. Wasn't this guy arrested on the same charges many times before? I'm not condoning his death, and feel it was an accident.

It sill comes down to, DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Go ahead and flame this all you want. It's the truth. You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.

Baby Milo

Guess I should be thankful that I'm a relatively thin black guy of average height. Better keep my glasses on at all times too. Whatever it takes to look less threatening to the cops so they don't feel the need to put me in an illegal chokehold that they won't have to worry about suffering any repercussions over.

the problem is your skin color

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Fuck American police are scary.

I think if I ever go to the US and see Police in the street I'm just going to drop to the ground with my hands on my head regardless of what I'm doing. Just to play it safe.

Dude Abides

Banned
Was actually going to add more but then got distracted. No, I'm not part of the problem. Wasn't this guy arrested on the same charges many times before? I'm not condoning his death, and feel it was an accident.

It sill comes down to, DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Go ahead and flame this all you want. It's the truth. You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.

"I'm not condoning his death but it was his fault for BREAKING THE LAW."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom