• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwarb

I feel like the topic post is missing something... Like what are the evidence against this?

Seems so one sided that my mind feels like something is missing.

Did the jury see something that we didn't see?

It's not a trial.

A grand jury does what the prosecutor suggests, and if a prosecutor doesn't want to indict cops...

So it was the wrong charge then? I'm confused by these things. I think it's pretty obvious that he didn't intend to kill him but why not try and charge him for involuntary manslaughter?
I'll admit I don't know all the details. Someone posted earlier in the thread that CNN had reported that the jury was only given the option to indict if they believed he killed him with malicious intent.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can't a grand jury consider more than one charge?

This sounds just like the prosecutor deliberately overreached. Proving malicious intent would be difficult but it was clearly negligent and against protocol?

I'm not defending Zimmerman. I do support the police department and law.

So if the police department bans choke holds because they are likely to kill people, and then someone uses one anyway and kills someone, what should happen next in the eyes of the law?

reading these #CrimingWhileWhite tweets is interesting

Here's a good one or three:

Someone very close to me assaulted a state police officer at a traffic stop once. Was out by 9 am and later beat case. #CrimingWhileWhite

White teen with gun antagonizes cops, posts online http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/...-shaken-by-mass-murder-because-2nd-amendment/ … #CrimingWhileWhite

Have openly smoked weed in front of cops. Open containers constantly. Bought booze and went to bars when 17 #CrimingWhileWhite

wildfire

Banned
You can't blame the prosecutor if the grand jury does not want to indict. They saw the video and are normal citizens. They believed this was acceptable...

believed this was acceptable....

.....acceptable

Probably saw the victim as intimidating and refusing to co-operate with law enforcement. This is a rather liberal/progressive state as well so the apples are what they are. Can't blame police if they just reflect the mindset of your society.

We don't know what the prosecutor showed them. Your point would stand if they did show the video but usually what's done in a indictment proceeding is unknown.

Unfortunately.

You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.

Are you twelve? Are we living on the same planet? How can you be so ignorant?

People who don't break the law or argue with authority still get fucked over all around the world, every day.

I would agree with you in cases like Michael Browns, but in this particular one I do not. The cause of death is obvious and impossible to be interpreted otherwise.

Can't say I agree. Had he not died and say, merely suffered some brain damage from lack of oxygen or a punctured lung, the likelihood of the cops actually receiving negative legal consequences would have been much higher. The victim would live to testify and the legal burdens for proof would be much lower.

antonz

Prosecutor pretty much gave the cop a get out of jail free card by stating the requirement of them believing malicious intent was needed.

Gorillaz

Can't say I agree. Had he not died and say, merely suffered some brain damage from lack of oxygen or a punctured lung, the likelihood of the cops actually receiving negative legal consequences would have been much higher. The victim would live to testify and the legal burdens for proof would be much lower.

what makes you actually sure this would have went different?

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah. In that sense, I'm mad at the legal system more than the cops because that seems to be the failure point in these recent cases.

All I know is a man is dead from a maneuver that is supposedly outlawed and not a single person is being held accountable for it. Even if he didn't intend to kill him he still did. Does that mean I can run red lights with impunity as long as there was malicious intent?

My other question is, did the prosecutor intentionally mislead the jury?

Flo_Evans

Can't a grand jury consider more than one charge?

This sounds just like the prosecutor deliberately overreached. Proving malicious intent would be difficult but it was clearly negligent and against protocol?

That was my understanding of how a grand jury works but maybe I am wrong.

Kibbles

Get out of here. Ruled a homicide and there is video of them freaking jumping on the guy for doing nothing. What the actual fuck. Body cameras won't do shit if they are still not even being put on trial when there is already video evidence.

I'm not defending Zimmerman. I do support the police department and law.

Then you should be absolutely outraged that a man was killed through the direct, unlawful actions of a police officer, and that said officer is going to avoid any and all meaningful punishment.

This, 'don't do anything wrong and you won't have anything to worry about' bullshit is so completely, willfully ignorant of what the actual issues are when it comes to these kinds of situations.

People who don't break the law or argue with authority still get fucked over all around the world, every day.

There are people who follow that same sentiment all over the country. As you can see American society has no balls when it comes to holding law enforcement accountable for blatant abuses, even apparently when video proof removing all doubt is available. We are surrounded by 12 year olds.

Not relevant.

In this particular case, the victim was allegedly in the midst of a crime and resisting arrest. That's all that matters for people who think like the person you're responding to.

They don't care. There's no such thing as a fucking "accident" in this case. The officer was fully aware of what he was doing.

That this person is victim blaming in this thread and telling others not to break the law, all while the law enforcement officer kills the victim by BREAKING THE LAW should tell you all you need to know.

Volimar

ABC News ‏@ABC 32m32 minutes ago

Protesters in Times Square chant "I can't breathe" after Eric Garner grand jury decision

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152948945848812

NYT Metro Desk ‏@NYTMetro 27m27 minutes ago
A protest in Grand Central Terminal after the grand jury’s decision in the Garner case.

B3920W5IMAAydEN.jpg

Prosecutor pretty much gave the cop a get out of jail free card by stating the requirement of them believing malicious intent was needed.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn at this point that this happens all the time. Prosecutors setting absurd standards for indictments against police officers in front of a grand jury, and the grand jury just can't meet those standards. Gotta protect that relationship, you gonna need those cops to lie on the stand later in some other, unrelated cases.

what makes you actually sure this would have went different?

I didn't claim it would have been different, I said the likelihood would have been better. Victim lives to testify and challenge cop's versions (even when a video is present the cop can try to explain it away) and the prosecutors don't have the leeway to trump up the charges to 1st degree or malicious intent, and even if the prosecution was not acting in bad faith, the legal burden for injury vs. death is very different.

And to be clear, I don't think anyone was thinking, "Oh I better keep going so this person dies, I won't get in trouble then", but I do think the way cops are not punished and their understanding of legal risk/consequence impacts their training and the way they approach situations and their proclivity to engage in high levels of force.

Then you should be absolutely outraged that a man was killed through the direct, unlawful actions of a police officer, and that said officer is going to avoid any and all meaningful punishment.

This, 'don't do anything wrong and you won't have anything to worry about' bullshit is so completely, willfully ignorant of what the actual issues are when it comes to these kinds of situations.

Black people have to be perfect humans in order to even get even the slightest whiff of justice.

It's an impossible standard because no human is perfect. And even when black people don't do ANYTHING wrong they are still shot or killed.

But keep doing what you do Acrid.

I didn't claim it would have been different, I said the likelihood would have been better. Victim lives to testify and challenge cop's versions, and the prosecutors don't have the leeway to trump up the charges to 1st degree or malicious intent, and even if the prosecution was not acting in bad faith, the legal burden for injury vs. death is very different.

In the Michael Brown case, there was witness testimony that challenged the cop's version from the guy who was walking with Brown.

In this case, there was video footage showing that the cop did in fact break the law.

There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between "more evidence" and "better outcome."

Here's a good one or three:
I was pulled over for driving 80+ on a non-empty freeway and weaving in and out of lanes with 3 friends in the car with me.

Cop approached my window with his hand on his gun but then apologized for it when I proved it was my car and not stolen.

He gave me a ticket for negligent driving instead of the much more serious reckless driving.

He told me I was a very good driver but he had to give me a ticket because I could have scared the drunks driving like that.

#CrimingWhileWhite

jchap

Cops can literally murder you any time they want and get away with it.

People need to just start practicing self-defense when involved with violent cops.

Best self defense is to treat cops like wasps. Stand really still and hope they go away on their own.

I wonder what it would take for a cop to actually be indicted.

entremet

This is where you see that racism is systemic.

You have a dude killed on videotape, using an illegal procedure, yet the prosecutor rigs the grand jury by not charging the cop with excessive force/involuntary manslaughter.

Mononoke

Banned
....I'm speechless. The fear out there is real. I know Fox News will run their "Let's Not Rush To Judgement" "Let's Hear The Officer Side of the Story." and of course, the officer will say "I was in fear for my life..."

Fox actually were shocked by this result, and don't understand how there wasn't an indictment. So even when Fox news is saying this....

(I don't watch Fox, someone else posted this earlier).

EDIT: they will probably still do what you said though after the fact. So nvm.

In the Michael Brown case, there was witness testimony that challenged the cop's version from the guy who was walking with Brown.

In this case, there was video footage showing that the cop did in fact break the law.

There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between "more evidence" and "better outcome."

My original post for context:

There is a perverse incentive for cops to have their victims die rather than be seriously injured. This not only prevents them from living to testify (allowing the cop to give the one sided and unchallenged "I feared for my life, they lunged for my gun, they were resisting arrest, etc"), but it creates a much higher legal burden in terms of them facing any consequences.

That and you reverse the positions in any situation like this and all the procedural/legal "safeguards" that get brought out when the cop is at fault go out the window. No one would care if someone shot a cop because they were afraid of getting shot themselves, no one would care if someone tried to restrain a cop from beating their friend and didn't have malicious intent...

The victim living vs. victim dying is not simply about whether there is more or less evidence, it's about the fact that the legal burden for convicting an officer of killing someone is much higher than convicting them for seriously injuring or maiming someone. I'm not saying that the grand jury actually would have indicted had he lived and it was a question of police brutality instead, but I do think jurors are more likely to demand consequence when they can see and hear from the victim and not just their loved ones. In a death situation, the mindset too often seems to become "what a horrible accident, but why punish the cop even more, better to just let things go" whereas I think, perhaps wrongfully in terms of statistical likelihood, that jurors are less likely to leave a living victim with nothing to show for it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If the demonstrators want full visibility, they should head over to Rockefeller Center for the tree lighting ceremony.

wildfire

Banned
#CrimingWhileWhite at age 24, pulled a gun on a neighbor. Arrested and bonded out, but no charges were ever filed.

Pulled over while illegally dropping off hitchhikers in a park at 3am. Also, taillight was out. Let go with warning. #CrimingWhileWhite

House-sitting. Nervous neighbor calls cops. Cops all around with guns drawn. Not shot. They called owner to confirm.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/crimingwhilewhite

a tollbooth makes more sense.

To represent the wage gap and how much influence they have over the system? Not bad.

Mononoke

Banned
Was actually going to add more but then got distracted. No, I'm not part of the problem. Wasn't this guy arrested on the same charges many times before? I'm not condoning his death, and feel it was an accident.

It sill comes down to, DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Go ahead and flame this all you want. It's the truth. You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.

The technique used was banned by the NYPD. Breaking the law, and resisting arrest should not have led to that being done to him. It should have led to him being detained. The cop chose to use a lethal and banned technique, and also didn't let up after the citizen stopped resisting.

Him breaking the law really isn't relevant, as it has nothing to do with the cop using the technique he wasn't supposed to use (regardless if he resisted or not).

By your logic, if someone broke a law, argued with cops, the cop has the right to shoot you dead in the street. But because you broke the law, argued with cops...the murder was justified (or if not justified, you would focus again on the person breaking the law, and not the cop that ultimately took the life of another human being using excessive force or something criminal). No one is denying that I. The guy shouldn't have broken the law. II. Shouldn't have resisted arrest. But those two factors don't lead to murder/lethal chokes. They just don't. So you bringing them up is 100% victim blaming. I'm sorry, but it is.

Loakum

Banned
Fox actually were shocked by this result, and don't understand how there wasn't an indictment. So even when Fox news is saying this....

(I don't watch Fox, someone else posted this earlier).

EDIT: they will probably still do what you said though after the fact. So nvm.

They will. I bet you they are looking up Garner's past to see if he had any arrest record. They are gonna smear his image. Watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom