• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Keegan Stephan ‏@KeeganNYC 13m13 minutes ago

MASSIVE: The two #EricGarner marches have met at 47th St and 6th Ave, taken over the intersection.

B3-DFCeCIAAqfW1.jpg

dan2026

So does this cop get any punishment at all?

As I understand it he accidentally killed a man while using an illegal choke hold.

And he gets to carry on with his job as normal?

Wait what?

Jesus H Fuck.

How is this not manslaughrer through and through? That video was clear as day. Fucking hell. I'm getting fed up with this. Un-fucking-real.

Jenov

I'm very curious how in the world the grand jury came to their decision on this one, especially considering the police officer was using an illegal hold. At least negligence or involuntary manslaughter should have been considered? What factors changed their minds? It would be nice to see transcripts or some such on what the prosecutor was arguing...

And yikes at that cop shooting the guy at the gas station.. that video was crazy. Glad he was immediately indicted there at least.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Man. Former cop on CNN saying shit like Garner was resisting, "basically, that wasn't a chokehold", "it was an appropriate use of force". This right after they play the video.

Gotta check out of news coverage before I break my own television.

Snaku

Banned
Man. Former cop on CNN saying shit like Garner was resisting, "basically, that wasn't a chokehold", "it was an appropriate use of force". This right after they play the video.

Was the response not eat shit and die?

The Light

Man watching CNN and this former nypd officer saying Garner should've done things differently and he would've been alive today just angers me.

tbm24

They've been doing that all night both calling in to Fox and CNN. It's even better when neither ever agree with them. And each time at the end of the call they always refer back to the video and effectively say, "really?"

Hiko

Banned
These two bald idiots on CNN are really something else. "OH IF HE COULD SAY I CAN'T BREATHE THAT MEANS HE WAS BREATHING! SEE IT WASN'T A CHOKEHOLD". Moron.

Jackpot

Banned
Civil disobedience is the only way to even begin to pressure some sympathetic law makers to get off their asses and maybe look into the problem.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
New York Penal Law 125.10: Criminal Negligent Homicide

A person is guilty of criminally negligent homicide when, with criminal negligence, he causes the death of another person.

Criminally negligent homicide is a class E felony.

Criminal Negligence
A person acts with criminal negligence with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

Basically, were his actions unjustifiably risky, and grossly out of the norm of what you'd expect to see used in that situation?

The fact that choke holds were specifically put in police code as banned because it was seen as unjustifiably risky should be enough proof that what he did was unjustifiably risky and out of the norm, and I have no clue how anyone can counter that fact.

There's absolutely no burden to prove the cop's intent or knowledge in order to still charge him for this. The only way I can imagine him getting off on this charge is for the prosecutor/jury to disagree with the police code about choke holds being unjustifiably risky, but why would they think they know better than the people that wrote the police code? Is a choke hold a commonly used move and considered unrisky in any other state?

We could go on to argue about even tougher charges, but I can't see how he isn't at least guilty of criminal negligence here. It's a minimum of 1 and a third years probation too, so it's not like it's ruining his life.

entremet

Just checking. The Ferguson case had 'we love the cops' counter-demonstrations and my faith in humanity is low enough right now that I almost expected one in NYC. At least some things still make sense. Kinda :/

Nah. Not in NYC proper. NYC--The Boroughs--are pretty liberal.

These two bald idiots on CNN are really something else. "OH IF HE COULD SAY I CAN'T BREATHE THAT MEANS HE WAS BREATHING! SEE IT WASN'T A CHOKEHOLD". Moron.

The media is straight trolling people, now, they just want to increase ratings through, making people mad, and filming people breaking stuff.

JNA

Banned
remember the other topic where the guy said he didn't see how they wouldn't indict in this case and your response was just "lol"

yeah :(

Yeah indeed. :(

I wish this was just one big nightmare. I wish this was all different.

I wish things aren't this way and that it was different. It makes me incredibly sad and terrified at the current state of this country and what would happen potentially in the future. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom