• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measley

Fuck American police are scary.

I think if I ever go to the US and see Police in the street I'm just going to drop to the ground with my hands on my head regardless of what I'm doing. Just to play it safe.

Don't drop too quickly. They might feel threatened.

Was actually going to add more but then got distracted. No, I'm not part of the problem. Wasn't this guy arrested on the same charges many times before? I'm not condoning his death, and feel it was an accident.

It sill comes down to, DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Go ahead and flame this all you want. It's the truth. You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.
http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local/2014/09/24/video-released-released-of-trooper-involved-shooting/16187305/

There is a perverse incentive for cops to have their victims die rather than be seriously injured. This not only prevents them from living to testify (allowing the cop to give the one sided and unchallenged "I feared for my life, they lunged for my gun, they were resisting arrest, etc"), but it creates a much higher legal burden in terms of them facing any consequences.

You maybe on to something because out of all the cases of civilians getting assaulted of killed by cops this year the only one i can remember where a on duty cop actually got charged with anything is the South Carolina incident where the cop shot the guy reaching for his license.

I would like to add body cameras will not solve anything. Their have been four police involved killings in the last five months where police clearly killed people without a just cause on video and so far 3 out of four cops got off without charges. The only reason the fourth cop has not got off without being charged with anything is because it just happened last week. John Crawford, Dillion Taylor, Eric Garner, and Tamir Rice all four of these people killed on video by police officers none of them did anything to warrant them being killed yet they were still killed and every single officer who killed them are still police officers and still free.

Mononoke

Banned
They will. I bet you they are looking up Garner's past to see if he had any arrest record. They are gonna smear his image. Watch.

Yeah, no doubt. Just thought it was crazy that even FOX was shocked at this announcement, and didn't think it was the right call. But you are right, I'm sure they will quickly start doing segments to excuse it (as you said, a focus on the guys criminal history) etc.

wildfire

Banned
Yeah, no doubt. Just thought it was crazy that even FOX was shocked at this announcement, and didn't think it was the right call. But you are right, I'm sure they will quickly start doing segments to excuse it (as you said, a focus on the guys criminal history) etc.

Fox is split on the matter. Some are outraged. Some are more concerned about the protests disrupting the tree lighting ceremony.

*boggles*

I haven't seen this much dissonance in news reporting since the day Romney lost.

Mononoke

Banned
Yep, same here, lol.

Sadly, most people I know don't see it as privilege. They see it as reality, and thus think it's how everyone else has it too. They take it for granted, and then just assume other people are complaining etc.

Fox is split on the matter. Some are outraged. Some are more concerned about the protests disrupting the tree lighting ceremony.

*boggles*

I haven't seen this much dissonance in news reporting since the day Romney lost.

Ah didn't keep up on it past the post made by that GAF member (don't watch FOX). But lol, got to have that "split opinion" to satisfy their audience. Cant' entirely side with the victim. Fair and balanced and all that.

Lime

Ferguson made me take a pretty big hit. Same thing with that 12 year old getting straight up murdered. And now this. I'm seriously scared and angry as hell.

And then knowing that this has gone on for decades even when I was a child and yet 30 years after, nothing has changed at all. It just gives me an emotional breakdown.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn at this point that this happens all the time. Prosecutors setting absurd standards for indictments against police officers in front of a grand jury, and the grand jury just can't meet those standards. Gotta protect that relationship, you gonna need those cops to lie on the stand later in some other, unrelated cases.

Yup. This is a bigger issue than police misconduct. When the criminal justice system fails to hold its watchmen properly accountable, standards of policing will continue to be flawed. The incentives placed on prosecutors to act within their own interest before that of the public or justice at large needs to be balanced more tangibly.

JCX

That hashtag is hilarious. Having grown up around mostly white people, I've heard tons of stories like those. Underage keggers thrown by the kid's parents, openly smoking weed outside, random acts of vandalism/shoplifting.

My coworkers are aware of their privilege and tell me stories like this all the time.

Yeah I give my white coworkers shit for telling stories about the time they got caught without a license and an expired registration and got off.

I don't think they ever really understand that I'm not joking.

I don't. I'm the world's most boring person, yes, but I don't even speed.

It does not matter if you break the law or not, the police can still kill you and get away with it. Their have been two or three cases of this type of incident this year and the police still got away with it. They will just call it a mistake and the jury and or prosecution will just go along with it.

Tamanon

Banned
Was actually going to add more but then got distracted. No, I'm not part of the problem. Wasn't this guy arrested on the same charges many times before? I'm not condoning his death, and feel it was an accident.

It sill comes down to, DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Go ahead and flame this all you want. It's the truth. You don't break the law or argue with those in authority, you don't get in trouble.

I dunno, this cop clearly broke the law and didn't get in trouble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/06/joseph-weekley-manslaughter-charge-dismissed_n_5940534.html

Mr. Patch

So why is Akai Gurley dead?

http://www.whio.com/videos/news/walmart-shooting-surveillance-video-captures/vCtB6Z/

Fucking disgusting. Heard it on the news on my way home. I just simply cannot fathom how anyone in their right mind could have seen what they did and just let them go.

sangreal

Can't a grand jury consider more than one charge?

This sounds just like the prosecutor deliberately overreached. Proving malicious intent would be difficult but it was clearly negligent and against protocol?

yes, and you don't have to prove anything to a grand jury other than the existence of evidence -- it isn't their job to determine guilt. It's a rigged system that outputs a nearly 100% indictment rate when it is not the police being accused

They rely on the prosecutor's interpretation of the law and entirely on the prosecutor's case (and any witnesses they choose to bring in)

zashga

This is extremely disheartening. In this case as in Ferguson, it looks like prosecutors used sham grand jury proceedings to cover their unwillingness to prosecute police officers. The only encouraging thing about it is that most people see right through the ruse, when it's brought to their attention. Maybe if we keep paying attention and pushing for accountability we will eventually get it.

abuC

It's open season if you're a black male in America, cops can get away with murder, body cameras will do nothing.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/darren-wilson-ferguson-police-officers-shoot-unarmed-black-men

Snaku

Banned
Ferguson made me take a pretty big hit. Same thing with that 12 year old getting straight up murdered. And now this. I'm seriously scared and angry as hell.

And then knowing that this has gone on for decades even when I was a child and yet 30 years after, nothing has changed at all. It just gives me an emotional breakdown.

I wish there was something I could say to people faced with this reality, but I am at a total loss. There's really nothing you can do, black people are essentially Palestinians in this country, and the Israeli government is coming for you.

dan2026

Is this going to reach boiling point at some time and turn into a Precinct 13 situation?

I can't imagine what the American populace must be thinking after seeing the police abuse their power again and again and again. While never getting brought to justice.

TS-08

*boggles*

I decided to turn on Fox and Greta seems pretty upset at the outcome.

danwarb

That hashtag is hilarious. Having grown up around mostly white people, I've heard tons of stories like those. Underage keggers thrown by the kid's parents, openly smoking weed outside, random acts of vandalism/shoplifting.

I've only been stopped by police once, for riding a bike in the early morning. They sent me on my way after checking my name and explaining that someone had been nicking bikes.

Syriel

Did I fall for some false information? I thought they were actually on the way to him anyway. That is making the scene even dumber. My god, has this hole of shamefully action no bottom?

From all the reports, the police were called in because of the fight.

The fight that Garner broke up.

They saw him there and things proceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom