• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Of course he didn't, but it was still a banned takedown maneuver because of this very reason. I figured he would probably get a negligence charge and lose his job, but I guess not.

I agree with all that everyone is replying. I was just asking becaue of his comment about the officer saying he didn't mean it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He shouldn't have broke the law and resisted arrest.

Breaking the law is one thing but barely looked to be resisting arrest. Looked more confused as to why he was getting arrested, neither if which would justify that choke.

JoeBoy101

He shouldn't have broke the law and resisted arrest.

I assume your being sarcastic. If so, please stop. There's no need for more of this shit. If not, do you really think resisting arrest, with no dangerous weapon on an individual, is cause for lethal measures?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Stay safe.

It's not that risky.

Generally protesters are some the coolest people you'll ever meet. Stick with the main group and you'll be fine.

I recommend more people join in if they have the opportunity.

Lime

I think this is from Ferguson but I agree with the sentiment:

imageiraxe.jpg

Foffy

Banned
I was only showing that arguments can be made for a defence force, as absurd and petty as they are.

Please. I have no reason to argue for those sincerely, for the cop was entirely in the wrong with the chokehold.

Not shocked. This is some fucking bullshit.
I also won't be shocked if I see people somehow blaming Eric for his death.

I only said what I said because that will very likely be the argument police apologetics will make. Which you know will be said on the news, if it hasn't been said already.

This is scary. Not only can't we even get these cases to trial, we can't even get actual charges brought up? Why the hell does a grand jury need to intervene here anyway? Is it not the role of the courts and due process to determine presence of wrong-doing? Was there really not enough evidence to suggest at all that something wrong had happened, regardless of whether they thought the verdict would be guilty or no? This scares the ever loving shit out of me, that there's a certain subset of society now that is above even QUESTIONING by the law. Absolutely terrifying.

JoeBoy101

I was only showing that arguments can be made for a defence force, as absurd and petty as they are.

Please.

Don't worry, they'll make them. You don't have to pre-emptively make them for them.

CrunchyFrog said:
Why the hell does a grand jury need to intervene here anyway?

Prosecutor didn't want to indict. As I pointed out in a previous post:

The fact that a grand jury could not find probable cause to go to trial when an illegal hold resulted in a homicide, but could find sufficient evidence to indict the person who filmed this incident (on a gun charge) shouldn’t sit well with anyone

Good to know the ones adjudicating the law for the state have the priorities straight.

Please. I have no reason to argue for those sincerely, for the cop was entirely in the wrong with the chokehold.

I only said what I said because that will very likely be the argument police apologetics will make. Which you know will be said on the news, if it hasn't been said already.

You don't need to make arguments for a perspective you don't support.

Oh, sorry. It's just that I don't take anything as sarcasm anymore :l
You're right, they'll make them and they'll be supported and nothings gonna happen because he was "scary" and a "thug."

Lime

In case people want to know who made up the grand jury:

The grand jury was made up of 14 white and nine nonwhite members, according to law enforcement sources. A total of 12 jurors who have heard all the evidence must be in agreement for a decision. The grand jury found that there was no "reasonable cause" to indict.

JoeBoy101

You should read about no knock raids.

Unfortunately :|

Don't get me started on those. Fucking absolutely bullshit. Been ranting about these para-military state actions for a while.

Dreams-Visions said:
too bad we'll never learn the split.

I'd rather hear a record of the proceeding to see what kind of case the Prosecutor put forth. Oh, thats right, I can't. Secret proceeding.

Lime

That's not even true.

Untrue and flippant shit like this only serves to alienate people who could otherwise be sympathetic to your cause.

Yuup.

For any of us white folks who think this won't happen to us we have to remember that black men are just #1 on their list of "who we get to kill with impunity".

While police brutality is a thing even for the outmost privileged, there was that cop during the Ferguson protests who lost his job because of choke holding a white guy.

Foffy

Banned
You don't need to make arguments for a perspective you don't support.

But it's not really an argument. It's to justify bullshittery with our over violent police force. Even using those points as arguments does not address the lethality police officers use. Our intent to kill mentality is a major problem today.

My apologies if it seemed like I was trying to paint a picture of a civilian being killed by a cop unjustly as a justifiable manner. I would hope it'd be commonsensical to see, but I suppose I underestimated how people can beguile themselves to brush over ills that many people took what I said as sincere, as there are those who hold such ideas as sincere. That too is a problem.

Foffy be like:

sd3dra2.jpg

I don't follow. Carlton looks smug, and I am not promoting a sense of smugness. Unless there's more I'm missing.

ICKE

Banned
I think this is from Ferguson but I agree with the sentiment:

imageiraxe.jpg

I can understand that sentiment. The problem is that any mass scale riots or resistance would be used as an excuse to increase police presence within the country.

Violence should not be used against local businesses or members of the community. For example, Farrakhan gave a speech where he basically implied that white people should be killed which is complete nonsense.

If someone killed a person from my immediate family and there was a corrupt system in place to safeguard the perpetrator, I would probably have to think "it all through".

JoeBoy101

But it's not really an argument. It's to justify bullshittery with our over violent police force. Even using those points as arguments does not address the lethality police officers use. Our intent to kill mentality is a major problem today.

My apologies if it seemed like I was trying to paint a picture of a civilian being killed by a cop unjustly as a justifiable manner. I would hope it'd be commonsensical to see, but I suppose I underestimated how people can beguile themselves to brush over ills that many people took what I said as sincere. That too is a problem.

There's a defense force for everything here. EVERYTHING. Any question I see of whether there is one/will be one I view as ironic or tragic naivete.

Lime

I can understand that sentiment. The problem is that any mass scale riots or resistance would be used as an excuse to increase police presence within the country.

I agree, but what else is there to do? I'm reminded of:

imagef2jxe.jpg

Then again, at some point violent resistance becomes necessary but it should not be targeted towards local businesses or members of the community.

I really agree. Targets should of course make sense.

.GqueB.

Banned

Then again, at some point violent resistance becomes necessary but it should not be targeted towards local businesses or members of the community. Farrakhan gave a speech where he basically implied that white people should be killed.
I always thought a more apt peaceful protest would be a general boycott. These rulings tell me that some sectors of the United States don't view us as a functioning part of society. So we should cease functioning. Don't buy shit, don't do shit. Anyone that supports the cause can join.

It's a lot and will never happen but it's a better way to affect the "system" without burning shit down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom