• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

yup. Hope my home Brooklyn comes out HARD

This is also not new for NYC.

Amadou Diallo a generation ago was very controversial. Springsteen made a song about it.

Also the man who was sodomized with a plunger handle. I forgot his name.

Another black man was mowed down right before his wedding night in Queens as well.

Is this going to reach boiling point at some time and turn into a Precinct 13 situation?

I can't imagine what the American populace must be thinking after seeing the police abuse their power again and again and again. While never getting brought to justice.

As long as its just niggers ..ugh..I.mean "thugs" getting arrested, harassed and killed. Most of the populace will continue not care.

yup. Hope my home Brooklyn comes out HARD
You're from Brooklyn Amir0x? Your awesome meter is even higher now ;)

This is quite sad. Staten island is known as the place where Italians moved to from Brooklyn and Queens. A video is not enough for an indictment. I want to see what the federal investigation will conclude.

This was a modern-day lynching plan and simple. And yet the perpetrators won't even be brought to trial let alone see any jail time.

Amir0x

Banned
If the Pocono region..you are near me! I can't imagine this sort of police brutality up here, as I often see animals more than I do officers.

yes...yes poconos region

weird!

We had a Police Officer shot and killed on the side of 611 pursuing some guy though

Edit: Oh and we had Eric Frein kill another police officer and critically wound another recently up here

So I guess you can say up here police don't kill black folk, police just get killed /poor-taste-joke

Keegan Stephan ‏@KeeganNYC 13m13 minutes ago

B3-DFCeCIAAqfW1.jpg

isn't that crowd part of the tree lighting ceremony? I was slightly disappointed by the size of the protests last week and before. hopefully this one is way, way bigger and shut down the stupid tree ceremony.

PK Gaming

This is bullshit of the highest order.

The kind of bullshit that makes the bile rise in your throat. I've seen plenty of these kinds news stories on gaf, but I can honestly say that no news story on gaf has ever angered me to this degree.

Toxi

Banned
THE DEATH WAS CAPTURED ON CAMERA

WE SAW THE COPS STRANGLE HIM WHILE HE WAS SAYING HE COULDN'T BREATHE

ON CAMERA

Amir0x

Banned
I am so fucking angry right now. fuck it I'm driving to join the protests

HANDS UP DON'T FUCKING SHOOT ASSHOLES

You think he meant to kill him?

Do you think the intention of the officer was to take the guys life or do you think he tried to restrain him but the force of the restraint killed him?

Intentions don't mean much when you're a power hungry, callous individual with no regard for human life.

- He used an illegal chokehold on the guy

- The guy kept saying he couldn't breath

- There is video of the officer smiling while Eric Lays face down

- When asked why they aren't doing CPR he says he's breathing when he's clearly dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT66U_Ftdng

^ The piece of shit that murdered him smiling and waving at the camera at 6:50. He knew months ago that he wasn't going to get in any trouble.

Fucking racist country makes me sick.

lastly what does whether or not he meant to kill the guy have to do with the police department and the grand jury saying it's ok.

JoeBoy101

As much as some facts are in dispute in the Ferguson case, the facts are not in dispute, at all, in this one. Cop used an illegal chokehold and killed a man. His intention is irrelevant to the of criminality of his action, only relevant to the severity of the criminality.

Incidentally, from a right-wing sight that would cause most on this board to burst into flame:

While there will be welcome debate about these and other points of agreement, there is a measure of consonance across all political dispositions that some of these conditions need to be addressed. And immediately:

• The use of excessive force by police: This is something which may be addressed by the insistence that law enforcement be required to wear body cameras at all times, a measure which New York City is beginning to implement. While it did not prevent undue force in this case or lead to an indictment when that force was applied, it will nevertheless impose some restraint on officers encountering a similar situations in the future.

• The state-level reformation of the grand jury process: The fact that a grand jury could not find probable cause to go to trial when an illegal hold resulted in a homicide, but could find sufficient evidence to indict the person who filmed this incident (on a gun charge) shouldn’t sit well with anyone. The fact that evidence presented in a grand jury proceeding is not made available to the public unless there is sufficient outcry is a subjective and problematic determination.

• Unrealistic evidentiary burdens: While police should be and are subject to levels of protection for doing their jobs that are not extended to civilians, there are limits. It is possible that the bar for criminality is set a tad too high in some cases, particularly when the circumstantial evidence is as damning as it is in this case.

• Contraband laws and the criminalization of the nonviolent: There is no reason why a person should be subject to arrest for selling loose cigarettes when that same person would only be subject to a ticket for carrying up to two ounces of marijuana. No law enforcement officer can decline to perform his or her job, which was in this case to execute an arrest on a nonviolent offender that went horribly wrong. But should police have to be put in this position?

I'd like to make the point here that all these positions have ZERO to do with race. Even if you think race didn't play a role in this case, and I certainly think it had a huge role and it was minimized in the last point, these positions listed show how much a travesty this case is even with the race aspect ignored.

Again:

Sean Davis said:
New York’s statutes on manslaughter are pretty unequivocal. Just going on the plain language of the law, the police officer who killed Garner certainly appears to be guilty of second-degree manslaughter at the very least:

§ 125.15 Manslaughter in the second degree.
A person is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree when:
1. He recklessly causes the death of another person; or
2. He commits upon a female an abortional act which causes her death,
unless such abortional act is justifiable pursuant to subdivision three
of section 125.05; or
3. He intentionally causes or aids another person to commit suicide.
Manslaughter in the second degree is a class C felony.

Frankly, I all the attention on the police is letting these Prosecutors off the hook for using the Grand Jury not as their usual rubber stamp, but as a half-assed scapegoat to put forth an equally half-assed argument of why they couldn't indict and do their job. I don't think Wilson would have been found guilty based on the evidence shown, but how could one argue a Prosecutor couldn't have taken that to a jury? I did find it a nice change though that the Prosecutor in the Ferguson case got called out so loudly. He clearly didn't want to indict and did everything he could to avoid it.

Toxi

Banned
This country will not indict police for illegally restraining and strangling a man to death with no provocation, even with the entire incident captured on camera.

This is insanity.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He was smiling and waving at the camera in the immediate aftermath so we know at minimum he didn't give a fuck that he'd just killed a guy.

There's probably not malicious intent going in but yeah it's clear there isn't much remorse afterwards. The fact that the police in these situations always say they would do nothing different if given the chance is sad.

ironmang

Why is it that cops seem to quickly become violent as soon as the person doesn't immediately comply? Are they really that pressed for time that attempting to reason with the person with words won't meet their needs? I'd hope the trained professional would only need to become physical if the person is either fleeing or a threat.

.GqueB.

Banned
remember the other topic where the guy said he didn't see how they wouldn't indict in this case and your response was just "lol"

yeah :(
*raises hand*

Yea that was me. Shit is unreal. I still don't understand the "malicious intent" thing though. I wish someone would shed some light.

He was smiling and waving at the camera in the immediate aftermath so we know at minimum he didn't give a fuck that he'd just killed a guy.

That's my thoughts as well. I don't really care if he meant to kill him. I care about if, while choking him, he gave a shit that the person he was choking lived or died.

he didn't

If only all of us could be absolved of murder if we just said those magical words Volimar put forth:

"I didn't mean it"

The world would be such an awesome place.

JoeBoy101

Why is it that cops seem to quickly become violent as soon as the person doesn't immediately comply? Are they really that pressed for time that attempting to reason with the person with words won't meet their needs? I'd hope the trained professional would only need to become physical if the person is either fleeing or a threat.

They see any person that bucks at their authority as a threat. Thus, the rationale for their disproportional response. I've said in other threads, cops are afford being able to take lethal action when they determine a threat. Problem is that the word 'reasonable' is not in there, and they have lowered the bar so goddamn low that moving slightly fast, or being black, is enough to be determined a threat. This mentality gets drilled into them, if it isn't present when they first become a cop. Some manage to keep it at a 'reasonable' threat, but clearly its not working as a whole.

Enron said:
Of course he didn't, but it was still a banned takedown maneuver because of this very reason. I figured he would probably get a negligence charge and lose his job, but I guess not.

This. Even if the cop is afforded every benefit of the doubt, there's no reasonable way you can find him not having committed a crime. He used a maneuver banned by the same police he worked for, and the Medical Examiner determined that the cause of death in that civilian's unlawful death.

Guess the old yarn about getting a ham sandwich indicted goes both ways when it comes to what a Prosecutor wants.

They're protected by superior numbers, fraternity from other cops and legal armor that keeps them from getting prosecuted for any 'accidents' that happen in the line of duty.

Kind of like football helmets in pro football. A player feels invincible so they hit things as hard as they possibly can. Cops are armed to the teeth and answerable to nobody. So they hit things as hard as they possibly can.

Foffy

Banned
Not shocked. This is some fucking bullshit.
I also won't be shocked if I see people somehow blaming Eric for his death.

He shouldn't have broke the law and resisted arrest.

^This IS sarcasm, by the way. It's sad to actually acknowledge that, but I guess that shows the reality of defence forces for violent cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom