• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

"Eric Garner's widow, Esaw Garner, says she does not accept the apologies, remorse, or prayers of the officer who killed her husband." - totally understandable

Also relevant to many of these instances of a white cop murdering Black people, not just Wilson & Brown:

imageeejut.jpg

I said this in the other thread but, honestly,....screw that "grand jury". This falls on them; very poor of them to make this decision. We don't need citizens like that in America, they can deport themselves to a Siberian wildlife tundra and help make the country, nigh, the world... a better place.

"What is this salty discharge?"

I don't even know what happened. I'm sitting here and the rage just turned into sadness, and I lost control.

I'm tired.

I'm so tired.
Don't worry; at this rate there won't be a U.S of A in about 70 or so years. It'll be the citizens killing each other that'll destroy it.

I'll hopefully be on a tropical island somewhere well before it happens.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I said this in the other thread but, honestly,....screw that "grand jury". This falls on them; very poor of them to make this decision. We don't need citizens like that in America, they can deport themselves to a Siberian wildlife tundra and help make the country, nigh, the world... a better place.

Why... I'm glad that these events more people are realizing they are nothing more than scapegoats for process that dumps a responsibility in their hands that quite frankly shouldn't be there at all. Why not the cowardly self serving prosecutors who know exactly why they won't just indict or push hard for one.

I can understand that sentiment. The problem is that any mass scale riots or resistance would be used as an excuse to increase police presence within the country.

That's exactly what this country needs though, maybe then our overlords will start paying attention. If it happens and the US decides to double or even triple the 120,000 police we have now will just give people more targets to shoot at. It would also prove the US has fallen into a state of unrest and turmoil leaving us wide open to be attacked by another country.

Azure J

"What is this salty discharge?"

I don't even know what happened. I'm sitting here and the rage just turned into sadness, and I lost control.

I'm tired.

I'm so tired.

There are times where I just want to return to willful ignorance just because thinking about and internalizing this stuff just makes me wonder why I wake up in the mornings as a black male. This particular case is especially poignant given that I live in Brooklyn, my immediate family lives in NYC, and yet even with everything available and all of this support against shit like this happening, it still does and probably will for most of my lifetime.

Yrael

American police really are completely protected. Photos and footage of the choke-hold being used and Garner slowly dying - and still no indictment.

"Eric Garner's widow, Esaw Garner, says she does not accept the apologies, remorse, or prayers of the officer who killed her husband." - totally understandable

Also relevant to many of these instances of a white cop murdering Black people, not just Wilson & Brown:

imageeejut.jpg

:(

Skux

Or don't resist. Why would you practice self defense when you already saw people dying when they raised their hands when trying to get cuffed. Just put hands behind back and lay down. Don't try to walk towards a cop...wtf you have a death wish.

It's depressing that it's come to "don't approach the cops and they won't kill you."

BkMogul

I was wondering how FOX News would handle this tonight, and sure enough, they're going right back to Ferguson. Have to paint the police in a positive light somehow!

ICKE

Banned
That's exactly what this country needs though, maybe then our overlords will start paying attention. If it happens and the US decides to double or even triple the 120,000 police we have now will just give people more targets to shoot at. It would also prove the US has fallen into a state of unrest and turmoil leaving us wide open to be attacked by another country.

On the other hand security systems are being put in place, surveillance is everywhere and people can be controlled locally via massive show of force. Within one generation we will have automated systems for crowd control and the military presence around the world is expanding thus keeping the US more safe than ever before.

Why... I'm glad that these events more people are realizing they are nothing more than scapegoats for process that dumps a responsibility in their hands that quite frankly shouldn't be there at all. Why not the cowardly self serving prosecutors who know exactly why they won't just indict or push hard for one.
No they deserve a rocket right off the face of the Earth. But the people who get dragged into these things...okay, they may not want to be there, but they owe it to themselves and their fellow citizens to at least read up on what's going on like they care.

Change doesn't have to be some big thing that comes from the top; it can start from the bottom. But not when people who have a chance to do so, just go w/ the status quo instead. That's exactly what the crooked prosecutors wants.

Measley

They know it was a chokehold. The union is going to deny it. It's their job to keep their organization from getting sued and protecting their members even if they know they did wrong. The unions, the prosecutors the entire system that looks out for their organization over citizens and justice because of $$ is what is fucked.

Same reason school districts and unions have protected pedos in schools because it getting out would mean the school getting sued. Doesn't matter if kids got molested or more will get molested. Have to protect that reputation and money. Smh

It's a tradition for language to evolve to be appropriate for the times.

e.g. Nigger => Thug

I was listening to Hannity on the radio, and that fucktard had his karate instructor on there arguing how it wasn't a choke but a headlock. Then a retired cop came on and said it was a "Vascular Neck Restraint". When I got home I decided to look up what a Vascular Neck Restraint was, and low and behold, its a blood choke. It does the exact same thing as a Rear Naked Choke or a Triangle Choke. If you check the pictures of the incident, that's exactly the hold they used on Garner.

Unbelievable.

Lime

You would think that Black U.S. citizens would be a protected class by now with the danger and injustice they face.

Azull

Holy shit how.

As a Canadian, I'm just so sorry for the citizens of america in general because the police are getting away with murder right, left, and center. Is there a link to a report as to their reasoning behind not indicting him?

MechaX

How the fuck did this not go to trial with at least involuntary manslaughter?

There are only two ways this could have happened; one, the prosecutor is playing both prosecution and public defender like McCullough in the Brown case. Two, he only gave charges to the grand jury that even a first year law student would know would not fit the facts at all (like charging the officer with Murder 1st and only Murder 1st).

Mononoke

Banned
I was listening to Hannity on the radio, and that fucktard had his karate instructor on there arguing how it wasn't a choke but a headlock. Then a retired cop came on and said it was a "Vascular Neck Restraint". When I got home I decided to look up what a Vascular Neck Restraint was, and low and behold, its a blood choke. It does the exact same thing as a Rear Naked Choke or a Triangle Choke. If you check the pictures of the incident, that's exactly the hold they used on Garner.

Unbelievable.

Ugh fuck this. There is video showing a chokehold and yet they are actually trying to explain its not a chokehold. Wow. Just wow. Evil blood sucking unions do this because of $$$. Fuck Hannity, or anyone outside of this aiding the Union or law enforcment in pushing their lies. The media disgusts me.

antonz

Holy shit how.

As a Canadian, I'm just so sorry for the citizens of america in general because the police are getting away with murder right, left, and center. Is there a link to a report as to their reasoning behind not indicting him?

Only thing we have heard is the prosecutor was hammering the need to determine malicious intent. So basically the Prosecutor was playing the defense attorney for the officer.

otherwise we have nothing because the system is designed to be secret

JoeBoy101

Holy shit. I know the protests are going on, but are they really drowning them out that much? Any media links?

antonz said:
Only thing we have heard is the prosecutor was hammering the need to determine malicious intent. So basically the Prosecutor was playing the defense attorney for the officer.

Prosecutors got be buddy, buddy with cops. I don't even understand this. Involuntary manslaughter is still a fucking criminal charge. Even if there was no intent, he used a lethal move recklessly resulting in a homicide. Nothing in my bold statement is contradicted by evidence or in dispute. Just really, boggles my goddamn mind even more than cop behavior, that Prosecutors can just present a rat turd case and tell themselves its the right thing.

Ovid

Ugh fuck this. There is video showing a chokehold and yet they are actually trying to explain its not a chokehold. Wow. Just wow. Evil blood sucking unions because of $$$. Fuck Hannity.
The medical examiner said he died from the chokehold and compression to his chest. What is there to argue?

Azull

otherwise we have nothing because the system is designed to be secret

The fuck. I dont know american law obviously but im 2nd year law student in canada and that is crazy. How would you not push for the charge that actually fits the crime!? I watched the video and that was easily involuntary manslaughter.

I'm dumbfounded.

Stuff like this makes me appreciate canada more every day.

Mononoke

Banned
The new popular argument is he brought it on himself. The cop even violating policy was "doing his job"

America has always been terrible with empathy. The prison system itself is proof of this. Are you a criminal? Then anything that happens to you is okay. This country has always been fucked when it comes to lacking any sympathy or empathy for "criminals". No surprise that minorities are jailed more then anyone else and this attitude prevails.

epmode

Yeah, the same thing that happened with Michael Brown. Corrupt to the core.

Grand juries are apparently the new trial. ..except hidden from all but direct participants. Works out well for the police.

Mononoke

Banned
The medical examiner said he died from the chokehold and compression to his chest. What is there to argue?

There is nothing to argue. Video evidence shows it, medical examiner confirms it. Unions lie becuase it's their job to protect their organization even when they know their members have done wrong. They are evil.

But the media pushing these lies and aiding them, spreading misinformation. Like fuck. They have the balls to actually try to argue this isn't a chokehold when there is actual video showing it?

It's really disgusting that they stoop so low they actually use the footage and bring on an "expert" to analyze it and say it's not a chokehold. Sigh.

MIMIC

Banned
Who is this fucking chuckle head on CNN?

"There's no evidence in THIS case that race was a factor, so this has nothing to do with race."

EXACTLY! The police officer in Ferguson never referred to Michael Brown by race, nor did he ever do anything to specifically indicate racial motivations. Same with the guy who was shot at the gas station for retrieving his license. So this is OBVIOUSLY not about race!

Pack it up and go home, folks! This ain't about race.

What I don't get is why this incident isn't becoming the rally cry while the Ferguson incident is. The Ferguson incident while messed up at least there was enough gray area to understand the no indictment call... but here there really is no excuse. This should be the incident that causes wide spread protesting more then the Ferguson one. People I know who weren't convinced of Wilson's guilt for whatever reason are appalled by this one and for good reason.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Slightly off topic but why is there even a law against buying cigarettes and selling them? Age requirement?

wildfire

Banned
Who is this fucking chuckle head on CNN?
<snipped>

Pack it up and go home, folks! This ain't about race.

I don't watch CNN but someone in this thread mentioned they had a segment right after the announcement titled

"Race War"

If that was an accurate portrayal of what CNN did just 2 hours ago....

Was wondering when someone would make a mashup like this.

What I don't get is why this incident isn't becoming the rally cry while the Ferguson incident is. The Ferguson incident while messed up at least there was enough gray area to understand the no indictment call... but here there really is no excuse. This should be the incident that causes wide spread protesting more then the Ferguson one. People I know who weren't convinced of Wilson's guilt for whatever reason are appalled by this one and for good reason.

Give it time. I have a feeling this one is really going to catch fire.

Zozz

Banned

It takes time, we can't let up.

antonz

Slightly off topic but why is there even a law against buying cigarettes and selling them? Age requirement?

New York city doesn't get its taxes if someone sells cigarettes outside a store. Its all about nanny state taxation to try and stop people from smoking

I agree this case never got the attention it deserved.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
taxes. If you buy cigarettes, you pay the tax on them upon purchase.

You resell those cigarettes, NY ain't getting their cut.

I don't think that's it, I think it's when you buy them from an area with lower taxes in resell them in the city without collecting the NY City taxes on the product. Quite the minor offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom