• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
New York city doesn't get its taxes if someone sells cigarettes outside a store. Its all about nanny state taxation to try and stop people from smoking

Mainly taxes. If you buy cigarettes, you pay the tax on them upon purchase. You resell those cigarettes, tax money isn't coming in.

But why is this specific to cigarettes? When you buy anything legally, cigarettes included, you're paying tax on it, and when you resell that same item, there are no taxes applied, so why is it just for cigarettes? Is it the same for alcohol?

Infinite

But why is this specific to cigarettes? When you buy anything legally, cigarettes included, you're paying tax on it, and when you resell that same item, there are no taxes applied, so why is it just for cigarettes? Is it the same for alcohol?

tobacoo companies.

jmood88

What I don't get is why this incident isn't becoming the rally cry while the Ferguson incident is. The Ferguson incident while messed up at least there was enough gray area to understand the no indictment call... but here there really is no excuse. This should be the incident that causes wide spread protesting more then the Ferguson one. People I know who weren't convinced of Wilson's guilt for whatever reason are appalled by this one and for good reason.

We must be on two different versions of the internet because I see just as many people upset about this and there have been a bunch of protests.

An excellent question.

antonz

New York City has damn near criminal taxes on cigarettes to the point it became common for people to drive out of state and buy crates and crates of cigarettes to sell. You don't mess with the governments income sources so made it a crime. Its all part of the war of smoking.

numble

It's buying them from a low tax area and reselling them in a high tax area, without charging taxes in the high tax area.

Infinite

New York City has damn near criminal taxes on cigarettes to the point it became common for people to drive out of state and buy crates and crates of cigarettes to sell. You don't mess with the governments income sources so made it a crime. Its all part of the war of smoking.

Yeah, people go to Native American reservations to buy cigs wholesale for like 5 bucks a box

I wonder how De Blasio will deal with this, or even if he does much. From what I understand, he was against making the choke hold illegal.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wonder how De Blasio will deal with this, or even if he does much. From what I understand, he was against making the choke hold illegal.

won't do shit. he'll come out and pander to the crowd, give his condolences and blah blah blah. same goddamn song and dance we will see time and time again.

This is america.

Azure J

I have no problem with this.

Fuck the police for protecting this murderous slime.

I go to school around Borough Hall (NYC College of Technology). I can only imagine what that area could turn into with both the Family and Kings County Supreme Court being right there as well.

I agree this case never got the attention it deserved.

It was initially getting attention but news slowed down after the officer who issued the chokehold went under protection at his home, and shortly after that was when the Brown case kicked off and about a solid month of Ferguson PD acting like a pack of assholes really caused a lot of the anger to take a focus point on St. Louis. Now that this new non-indictment news came I imagine the focus will change. Especially since the circumstances are far less ambiguous here. (practically no ambiguity at all)

Thorakai

What I don't get is why this incident isn't becoming the rally cry while the Ferguson incident is. The Ferguson incident while messed up at least there was enough gray area to understand the no indictment call... but here there really is no excuse. This should be the incident that causes wide spread protesting more then the Ferguson one. People I know who weren't convinced of Wilson's guilt for whatever reason are appalled by this one and for good reason.

The Ferguson case got grayer as details emerged. The "hands up don't shoot" message was pretty powerful symbolically to what happens to blacks throughout the country. Then there is the fact the police department handled the situation like fucking idiots and treated the entire neighborhood as enemies of war. There was just a lot more shit that made it easier to have it as a boiling point to everything else that has happened. This will get just as much heat no doubt though. These two events at least pin points one possible point of attack: the grand jury system. It isn't going to be enough to change the systematic racism in the police system, but at least there can be some element that be isolated as being ass-backwards enough to change.

Cyan

Banned
imageeejut.jpg

Damn.

MormaPope

Banned
It really sucks black people and everyone else can't use the 2nd amendment to their advantage regarding police brutality. Shoot and possibly kill a cop that is trying to end your life with no justification? You're going to be executed, full stop. There is no room for self defense against police, its against the ye ole American culture. If every black person was armed and had to defend themselves against police, full blown revolution that could end positively, but would probably end in the worst way possible.

Seriously, question how self defense against the police is beyond taboo for most Americans. From the police's perspective? Either fills them with unwarranted fear or it never crosses their mind to begin with.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I go to school around Borough Hall (NYC College of Technology). I can only imagine what that area could turn into with both the Family and Kings County Supreme Court being right there as well.
Hey fellow Yellowjacket! I just graduated there in June.

And Fox News is trolling everyone right now by having Mark Fuhrman on.

It really sucks black people and everyone else can't use the 2nd amendment to their advantage regarding police brutality. Shoot and possibly kill a cop that is trying to end your life with no justification? You're going to be executed, full stop. There is no room for self defense against police, its against the ye ole American culture. If every black person was armed and had to defend themselves against police, full blown revolution that could end positively, but would probably end in the worst way possible.

There was that black woman who held a cop at gunpoint for illegally entered her home, called the cops on him, and then she wasn't charged.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
"Eric Garner's widow, Esaw Garner, says she does not accept the apologies, remorse, or prayers of the officer who killed her husband." - totally understandable

Also relevant to many of these instances of a white cop murdering Black people, not just Wilson & Brown:

imageeejut.jpg

I feel a lot more outrage about this case than the brown case. There are a lot more unknowns in the Brown case.

Are you freaking kidding me?.....There is absolutely NO way the media can try and make this seem justified and make it seem like Garner is a villain....

Infinite

I don't think they care too much. I think the law is more to protect the city's tax revenues rather than some conniving by the tobacco companies to decrease their own sales.

I don't doubt that but I have been told be police officers that Tobacco companies had influence in that law. What they actually know for certain is up for debate, I'll admit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Seriously, question how self defense against the police is beyond taboo for most Americans. From the police's perspective? Either fills them with unwarranted fear or it never crosses their mind to begin with.

Cops already assume the worst about black folk, that they're violent superhuman brutes, now you want them to use guns against cops?? This post, I just can't...

MormaPope

Banned
Cops already assume the worst about black folk, that they're violent superhuman brutes, now you want them to use guns against cops?? This post, I just can't...

You just can't what? Defending yourself against corrupt authority figures SHOULDN'T be out of the question, but it has been for quite some time now. The fact that's the case is fucked and always has been fucked. This doesn't apply only to black people, it applies to any American that has been abused or instigated against by the police.

Crocodile

fiddy.gif

Not much else I can say about this. Just.......FUCK :/

I am so fucking angry right now. fuck it I'm driving to join the protests

HANDS UP DON'T FUCKING SHOOT ASSHOLES

Thanks for putting your boots on the ground so to speak

This rebuttal irks me far me than the post it's responding to.

Ok good, its not just me then

I was only showing that arguments can be made for a defence force, as absurd and petty as they are.

Please. I have no reason to argue for those sincerely, for the cop was entirely in the wrong with the chokehold.

In the future avoid doing this. Just make topics muddier and harder to read as you can't tell who is sincere and who is sarcastic

Was the cop at least fired? Idk about criminal charges, but that mother fucker should at least be fired. Hope the family sues the shit out of NYC too. Nothing sparks change like $$$.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Was the cop at least fired? Idk about criminal charges, but that mother fucker should at least be fired. Hope the family sues the shit out of NYC too. Nothing sparks change like $$$.
He's on the force right now. This very minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom