• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
It's laughable how people on twitter are trying to say this is about the government upholding taxes and not race.

It's about race you jerkoffs. The police don't give a fuck about rich white people's tax evasion. The grand jury did not give a fuck about Eric Garner's supposed tax evasion.

Derwind

Read thread title...

Looked up news...

Watched video...

Welp, time to update my list of what I can't do while being in my own skin.

I'm starting to think that the only way to not be killed while being black is to not step outside.... no wait...

Also, I can't believe I only heard about this case now.

hwateber

Saw this on the news during lunch today. This shit was on fucking camera and the cops fucking got away with it. There goes any faith I had in body cameras helping.

Ovid

Read thread title...

Looked up news...

Watched video...

Welp, time to update my list of what I can't do while being in my own skin.

I'm starting to think that the only way to not be killed while being black is to not step outside.... no wait...

Also, I can't believe I only heard about this case now.
Don't forget Akai Gurley. It happened two weeks ago.

Cagey

Banned
Shutting down the Westside is nice. Protesting in worldwide landmark Times Square is nice.

Block the fucking Lincoln tomorrow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Reading more about this, it just gets more and more incomprehensible.

A police officer kills a man by doing something he shouldn't be doing. How is that not Criminally Negligent Homicide?

jmood88

Cops already assume the worst about black folk, that they're violent superhuman brutes, now you want them to use guns against cops?? This post, I just can't...
He's saying that it's sad that people can't use force against cops if they fear for their lives, not that they should do it.

epmode

Reading more about this, it just gets more and more incomprehensible.

A police officer kills a man by doing something he shouldn't be doing. How is that not Criminally Negligent Homicide?

I don't think the prosecutor was aiming for that. He seems to have been shooting for a one of the more severe murder charges. It is likely that he had every intention of not indicting and blaming the grand jury.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Tomorrow's cover of the Daily News:

B3-dGOfIYAIIgaB.jpg:large

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Some people are saying the 'hold' the cop used was a 'submission hold' which is apparently allowed vs the outlawed 'choke hold'. What's the difference?

Some people are saying the 'hold' the cop used was a 'submission hold' which is apparently allowed vs the outlawed 'choke hold'. What's the difference?

The use of the word "submission" instead of "choke."

The method of "submission" employed with that hold is to choke a person until they comply or pass out.

Also, I'd really like to believe Cleveland's gonna do right by Tamar Rice when that grand jury convenes. But...

BobLoblaw

Banned
I hope to god we get the names of the ignorant fucks on the jury. I have to know why the hell the didn't indict. Grand juries these days think they're goddamn trial juries now.

BobLoblaw

Banned
When it's used on black people, it's a submission hold. When it's used on non-blacks, it's a choke hold.

pxleyes

Banned
Jon Stewart going non-comedy for the opening piece on Eric Garner. Tons of respect for Stewart to using his platform responsibily.

It's disgusting, there are no consequences for anyone that wears a badge.

He screamed I can't breathe.

He was choked longer until he was dead.

WHY IS THIS NOT A PUNISHABLE OFFENSE

Jobbs

Banned
what's the fox news defense of the verdict/police?

I'm just curious. you see police choke a guy to death on camera just for standing there arguing -- what's the defense?

just curious.

zma1013

Whatever happened with that other case where the guy got choked to death? The one where he wasn't even the suspect, his wife or someone was fighting with someone else and they came and smothered him to death? Did anything ever happen with that?

antonz

what's the fox news defense of the verdict/police?

I'm just curious. you see police choke a guy to death on camera just for standing there arguing -- what's the defense?

just curious.
Most of Fox is actually shocked that the cop wasn't indicted. You got the real assholes like Hannity who are being themselves. and of course parading former police officers forced to resign in disgrace etc sharing their "opinions"

Jobbs

Banned
Most of Fox is actually shocked that the cop wasn't indicted. You got the real assholes like Hannity who are being themselves. and of course parading former police officers forced to resign in disgrace etc sharing their "opinions"

right, but what IS the defense? how do you justify what the police did?

antonz

right, but what IS the defense? how do you justify what the police did?

Oh the defense being provided is He resisted arrest when he slapped the officers hands away and at that point the officers were allowed to escalate their force in taking down the suspect.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think a woman speaking to Vice News has the right idea: local prosecutors shouldn't be indicting police officers because there's a conflict of interest. The Fed should deal with it.

Edit: Meant to say SHOULDN'T!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom