• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh the defense being provided is He resisted arrest when he slapped the officers hands away and at that point the officers were allowed to escalate their force in taking down the suspect.

the autopsy report cited cause of death as homicide by force to the neck and chest. choking isn't even allowed in the police. it makes no sense.

I am not proud of this country, now more than ever.

Saw a TON of protestors around 34th street earlier tonight. Were probably on their way to time square but there was a ton of police around so I wonder if they were able to make it there without getting disbanded

Mully

I'll give the NYPD credit for letting the protesters (mostly) do their own thing. This hasn't gone full Ferguson, but that may have to do with the economics and education level of the NYC metro area than anything else. Protesters aren't antagonizing, and the NYPD aren't a complete bunch of gun-toting assholes like in Ferguson.

I think a woman speaking to Vice News has the right idea: local prosecutors should be indicting police officers because there's a conflict of interest. The Fed should deal with it.
Isn't there history during the 1960s civil rights era where federal prosecutors would step in with Deprivation of Civil Rights charges against people when local jurisdictions refused to adequately investigate such crimes against blacks?

http://sinasdramis.com/michigan-per...l-rights/constitutional-rights-violation-case

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/crm/242fin.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement_Act_of_1871_(third_act) (Civil Rights Act of 1871) and I'm sure later Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s.

I'll give the NYPD credit for letting the protesters (mostly) do their own thing. This hasn't gone full Ferguson, but that may have to do with the economics and education level of the NYC metro area than anything else. Protesters aren't antagonizing, and the NYPD aren't a complete bunch of gun-toting assholes like in Ferguson.

What fantasy NYPD have you been dealing with?

Foffy

Banned

Wasn't it the police and how they responded in Ferguson that originally caused the rioting? I mean, these were the same police that intentionally aimed at journalists...

I think the NYPD is too smart to realize having a repeat of that is a major fucking uh oh.

Draxal

Less outside protesters in the city compared to Ferguson, but yeah they're doing a good job of being heard in a manner that really gains support for their cause. This is going to be insane for De Blasio to deal with.

Dai101

Banned
WEPdOtH.jpg

Indicate

It might have to do with how New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio feels about the whole situation. He said this during a press conference at 5:36pm.

“It conforms to something bigger that you’ve heard come out from the protests in Ferguson and all over the country. This is now a national moment of grief, a national moment of pain, and searching for a solution. And you’ve heard from so many places of people with different backgrounds utter the same basic phrase, they’ve said ‘black lives matter’. And they said the phrase had to be said. It’s a phrase that never had to be said, it should be self-evident. But sadly, our history requires us to say that ‘black lives matter’. Because of words I’ve said the other day, we’re not just dealing with a problem in 2014, we’re not dealing with years of racism leading up to it or decades of racism, we’re dealing with centuries of racism that has brought us to this day. That is how profound the crisis is”- my pvr

Mully

Wasn't it the police and how they responded in Ferguson that originally caused the rioting? I mean, these were the same police that intentionally aimed at journalists...

I think the NYPD is too smart to realize having a repeat of that is a major fucking uh oh.

I guess that's what I'm saying. The NYPD is not stupid enough to instigate with the protesters. Which deserves some recognition, although 99% of that applause goes to the protesters for being so organized, disruptive, and communicative of their cause.

It will definitely gain support in the coming days. I may even head out there Friday to report on it if I have the money.

This is probably an incompetent question, but I don't know anything about this stuff. What happens if the Federal rule differently? Does the original prosecutor get negativity dinged for that or what?

TheJLC

This is an incompetent question I'm sure, but what happens if the Federal rule differently? Does the original prosecutor get negativity dinged for that or what?

No, because the feds would be going with federal law and look at civil rights and federal level crimes. They use a different law book than the State Prosecutor.

What do you mean?

NYPD are pretty notorious for being aggressive and generally dickish. For example, when I was at a rooftop party at a loft building in college they came in, cleared us off the roof, and while we were on the sidewalk cut all the wires for the speakers we set up and poured all our beer down from the roof. They didn't even steal anything, just did some petty ass dick shit for no reason.

I understand what you were trying to say, though. NYPD might be assholes but they aren't as stupid as the law enforcement in Ferguson.

TalonJH

Not sure I understand the question. I'm very sad that citizens have to live this way. It's not right.

EDIT: I'm not black. I'm just saying, I wish people would be more empathetic and put themselves in the shoes of those that have to live their life dealing with all of these fears. It's insane that people can just sit by and accept that some Americans have to live this way.

It's like people don't get that Black and Hispanic people are greeted with more suspicion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZM9I7Psxs

Flo_Evans

I think a woman speaking to Vice News has the right idea: local prosecutors should be indicting police officers because there's a conflict of interest. The Fed should deal with it.

I'm not a fan of this. The law should apply equally to everyone.

People need to start voting. People will try and say its worthless but the prosecutor is an extremely powerful elected official in almost every state.

Having said that I was pretty down on violence in reaction to the ferguson ruling but I am at a loss here. I am pretty old and have seen racial tension rise and fall but it really does seem to me we are at some sort of new high water mark. I can't blame anyone for torching a cop car tonight.

Mully

No, because the feds would be going with federal law and look at civil rights and federal level crimes. They use a different law book than the State Prosecutor.

Have the Feds followed the Garner case since the beginning? I haven't kept up with the incident as much as I have with Ferguson and the Walmart shooting.

NYPD are pretty notorious for being aggressive and generally dickish. For example, when I was at a rooftop party at a loft building in college they came in, cleared us off the roof, and while we were on the sidewalk cut all the wires for the speakers we set up and poured all our beer down from the roof. They didn't even steal anything, just did some petty ass dick shit for no reason.

I understand what you were trying to say, though. NYPD might be assholes but they aren't as stupid as the law enforcement in Ferguson.

That's pretty common for most police departments when it comes to college parties. I've certainly been in those types of situations a number of times.

Mars477

Banned
Isn't the federal probe just civil rights? That'll be be much harder to prove anything unless the cop in question actually says something racist, compared to a local indictment which a reasonably competent (and willing) prosecutor could obtain in his sleep.

Draxal

I guess that's what I'm saying. The NYPD is not stupid enough to instigate with the protesters. Which deserves some recognition, although 99% of that applause goes to the protesters for being so organized, disruptive, and communicative of their cause.

It will definitely gain support in the coming days. I may even head out there Friday to report on it if I have the money.

Yeah the protesters are doing a great job.

I do think the big thing is the black population of New York is so large compared to Ferguson itself, People aren't going to mess up their hometown; so if this happened in let's say a suburb in NJ, I think there would be more of the unsavory stuff.

Christopher

Yeah the protesters are doing a great job.

I do think the big thing is the black population of New York is so large compared to Ferguson itself, People aren't going to mess up their hometown; so if this happened in let's say a suburb in NJ, I think there would be more of the unsavory stuff.

Ironically a majority of the protestors aren't black

Isn't the federal probe just civil rights? That'll be be much harder to prove anything unless the cop in question actually says something racist, compared to a local indictment which a reasonably competent (and willing) prosecutor could obtain in his sleep.
Maybe. But I wonder if the law can apply if there are established patterns within the department against blacks and as an officer, he was part of that. I know there are stats out there detailing how the NYPD disproportionally targets, arrests, and harasses blacks.

Deprivation of Civil Rights Under Color of Law: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/242

Color of Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_(law)

Mars477

Banned
Maybe. But I wonder if the law can apply if there is established patterns against blacks and as an officer, he was part of that. I know there are stats out there detailing how the NYPD disproportionally targets, arrests, and harasses blacks.

Deprivation of Civil Rights Under Color of Law: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/242

Color of Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_(law)
Actually, it looks like the cop in question had a history of complaints of racially motivated abuse, so that might be an angle the feds can leverage.

Mononoke

Banned
Ironically a majority of the protestors aren't black

This case should be disturbing to everyone. While yes this is a racial issue that should get everyone angry even if white, this case shows that prosecutors and courts will cover up any wrong doing against a citizen. This case shows that not even evidence can give you justice if it's someone in the system (since they are protected). This case is insane and should trouble everyone even race issues aside.

I would hope anyone regardless of skin color would be enraged at this.

Edit: nvm saw your post below.

Cat

There is certainly structure with these protests. Do we know who's leading and organizing these?

Local groups, to my knowledge. For instance, in San Antonio, we have SATX4Ferguson that is the local group leading the charge on this particular issue. I follow their Twitter and already know about their protest but see it in that Tumblr, and it was through another local group I follow that I found out about them.

Calm yourself. I'm just making an observation in what I see, not making a social commentary or need an education on demographics.

oh boy ... Not only was there nothing uncalm about my post but then instead of answering the question you come up with some lame answer.

Because of how the media is playing the racial aspect of it, but it turns out everyone seems to be angry.
Christopher what are you doing to your keyboard.

Christopher

oh boy ... Not only was there nothing uncalm about my post but then instead of answering the question you come up with some lame answer.

Christopher what are you doing to your keyboard.

I don't know! I'm cold lol but it's great to see the calm protests I was afraid that it was going to be Ferguson but it's calm and cool to see so many people united over something that they feel strong about.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
There are animals that are better protected than my people.

Don't get me wrong, animals deserve love and protection, but it really saddens me that I will see many non blacks get mouth frothingly furious at a crime perpetrated on an animal, but these same people can barely muster a "meh" for a crime perpetrated on a black male that results in his death.

I think it's obvious that "thug" is now code for "nigger" judging by the way it's used by people these days.

With that said, I want to say to all the non blacks that are just as disgusted by the injustice going on, and feel powerless to do anything about it: welcome to our world, but also, by simply being empathetic to these issues, you are doing something. By being able to step outside of your own box of personal experience, and looking at someone else's experience, and instead of dismissing it, empathizing with them? That's not nothing.

Arguing with ignorant family and friends, even when you know they won't see your perspective is something. We aren't asking you to go out and protest, or fight for us, but if your empathy is that strong that it leads you down those roads, it's certainly appreciated, and more power to you. It certainly means a lot to me, personally.

The discussion about racism that blacks so desperately want to have isn't about guilting or shaming white people that have done nothing wrong. It's not about keeping a divide between us, but about raising awareness if a systemic problem that has been allowed to permeate our society at every level. We want to be heard and taken seriously, and not constantly dismissed and ignored, or told that we're probably being overly sensitive and looking too hard for things to be outraged about.

No amount of studies, charts, graphs, etc seem to be enough for a society that has simply allowed blacks to be devalued and dehumanized since the moment they set foot in this country. The reason why some people can watch a video of a black man being choked to death by a police officer, and feel it was completely justified is because they don't see black people as human to begin with. They don't even see us as an animal to be protected. We are savages. We are rabid. We are dangerous. So when one, ten, a hundred of us are killed, they see it as completely acceptable. We aren't worth saving or attempting to save, and the less of us there are, the better.

I'm too exhausted by constantly having to prove that I'm a human being; on my best behavior so as not to "scare the white folks," that I just can't get angry over this stuff any more. Just sadness. A deep, profound sadness. I honestly don't know why I even bother.

There are animals that are better protected than my people.
This makes me more sad than anything. That you have to say "your people." I'm white. And your people are my people. And yet, I completely understand. We are and we aren't the same people. So frustrating. Just a fucked up world we live in. But we can do better.

I don't know why, but I wasn't very fired up about all of this, until the lack of indictments were announced. And now I couldn't be more pissed.

Measley

Eh... Pete King is an asshole.

The responses to his twitter are fantastic.

But yeah, GOP outreach to minorities is pretty much over with. Their responses to both Ferguson and this situation (not to mention the big middle finger they've given to Hispanics) have been pretty deplorable.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Jon Stewart going non-comedy for the opening piece on Eric Garner. Tons of respect for Stewart to using his platform responsibily.

Earlier in the day I posted in this thread that I was too upset to even process a coherent reply to the fuckery going on in this country. Apparently I'm not the only one. I already had a lot of respect for Jon but my respect level is now even higher.

I'm still at a loss for words to express my rage, sadness, and contempt though. Honestly I don't think words work anymore for this scourge on our 'society'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom