• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sad and disgusting day.

life if you want to be more accurate. I cannot stress enough that while Eric deserves justice it's not about one man. It's not about Ferguson. This has been happening for years, no decades, no centuries.

Our country is built upon the notion that blacks are inferior and it's expressed in EVERY area of life.

Blacks are less likely to get a loan
Blacks are more likely be dealt harsher penalties in school than whites
Blacks are more likely to be arrested
Blacks are more likely to be jailed
1 in 3 blacks will go to prison in their lifetime.
I could go on ...

The fact is it's not just a few bad cops. It's not just a few corrupt prosecutors. Our culture has built this attitude for centuries and has sustained it with racism, prejudice, and apathy. Again these are not a few bad apples. This is a system that encourages people to think and behave as if blacks are inferior.

entremet

The Justice Department will review the case:

After the news from Staten Island, a wave of elected officials renewed calls for Justice Department intervention, saying the grand jury’s finding proved that justice could be found only in the federal courts. By the evening, the department announced it would open a civil rights inquiry.

From the NYTImes

RoKKeR

Absolutely cannot believe there was no indictment here. There was enough grey area in the Brown case that I can at least understand where the grand jury may be coming from, but this makes zero sense.

The evidence is right in front of the world and easy to see, how a cop can get away with this is absolutely beyond me.

Mars477

Banned
There's no double jeopardy in a case like this, since the cop wasn't actually acquitted of the crime, right? So could there theoretically be a second grand jury hearing if the protests get loud enough?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's no double jeopardy in a case like this, since the cop wasn't actually acquitted of the crime, right? So could there theoretically be a second grand jury hearing if the protests get loud enough?

Yes there could, but keep in mind that this is Staten Island and they're far more conservative than the rest of the city. Had this been in any other borough it would be going to trial, this is a place that re-elected a congressman who threatened to throw a reporter off a balcony on camera for asking a question about an investigation into the congressman's misuse of campaign funds because he was a conservative Republican. If you're a cop and you want to kill a black dude, Staten Island is the place to do it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

1QDA6NO.gif

Idiots.

Toxi

Banned
No amount of studies, charts, graphs, etc seem to be enough for a society that has simply allowed blacks to be devalued and dehumanized since the moment they set foot in this country. The reason why some people can watch a video of a black man being choked to death by a police officer, and feel it was completely justified is because they don't see black people as human to begin with. They don't even see us as an animal to be protected. We are savages. We are rabid. We are dangerous. So when one, ten, a hundred of us are killed, they see it as completely acceptable. We aren't worth saving or attempting to save, and the less of us there are, the better.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Did I really just see two fat white people gleefully mock the choking murder of a black man on live television

Ugh, after such a shit day I had to have some of my close friends question why black people are using Brown as a martyr when they should be using someone like this guy. I was just too shocked to make a coherent retort. Stuff like " there certainly is a problem with police brutality against black, but why are people defending Brown" was just too much

NYPD seems to be a lot better at handling protests in a non-military manner unlike Ferguson's ametuer hour.

But the night is still young.

rjinaz

They'll be found.

Can you imagine if the situation were reversed, in that a white man was choked to death and a black couple made fun of it like that on television? Fox news would make it the story of the day. Somewhere Hannity is getting red in the face as I type this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Can you imagine if the situation were reversed, in that a white man was choked to death and a black couple made fun of it like that on television? Fox news would make it the story of the day. Somewhere Hannity is getting red in the face as I type this.

Even bat shit insane right winger, Michael Savage was calling the cops murderers on his radio show today. I wonder if even Hannity might have one of his bi-yearly correct opinions.

Toxi

Banned
Even bat shit insane right winger, Michael Savage was calling the cops murderers on his radio show today. I wonder if even Hannity might have one of his bi-yearly correct opinions.
The current conservative push is to define this as an issue of oppressive government taxes.

Race? "Post-racial society."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom