• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

the only good cop is...

That's never ok. it's the system and the people making the calls that are flawed and need to change.

Edit: The quoted post was edited. Still, we don't need death, we need people standing up for what is right. It's been done before, in this country, more than once.

That's never ok. it's the system and the people making the calls that are flawed and need to change.

Edit: The quoted post was edited. Still, we don't need death, we need people standing up for what is right. It's been done before, in this country, more than once.

you're right but I've lived and seen some shit. I will never trust the police here.

Totally wrong but in the end the only thing that's bruised are the two cop's egos.

I must admit I watched it and laughed for about 10 min.

That's unfortunate.

Protesters should not do this. It cracks away at the reason why they gathered and makes for easy sound bites for nonsupporters to use.

Don't boil this down to fuck cops. It's more than that and doing something like this makes things worse for everyone.

lol.gif

It's still pretty funny tho

Infinite

That's unfortunate.

Protesters should not do this. It cracks away at the reason why they gathered and makes for easy sound bites for nonsupporters to use.

Don't boil this down to fuck cops. It's more than that and doing something like this makes things worse for everyone.
Nonsupporters don't give a fuck and never will.

jmood88

That's unfortunate.

I'm really fucking tired of people trying to tell others to "behave" because it makes everyone else look bad. The people who are judging protestors for what they do would judge them regardless.

Mully

I'm really fucking tired of people trying to tell others to "behave" because it makes everyone else look bad. The people who are judging protestors for what they do would judge them regardless.

I'm telling people to behave not because of image. I'm saying it denigrates a good cause, generalizes it to fuck cops, and instigates police officers around them. Do protesters for Garner really want to deal with tear gas and LRADs because some asshole thought it's justifiable of him to throw a sign at a cop?

A sit in is likely far more effective than a sign thrown at someone's face. I get we're all angry here, but let's not be irrational.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yup.

Posts like that always sound like concern-trolling.

Branduil

That person will face far more severe consequences than the cop that choked a man to death. Wrap your head around that one.

Still yeah, violence is not the answer. Don't know what is, but not violence.

I don't know violence seems to be pretty good for getting the cops everything they want.

Loakum

Banned
Well this case proves that having officer with cameras solves nothing. It will only show the murder the officer won't get charged for committing. Coroner report say "Homicide". Our legal system say "No Indictment". #OnlyInAmerica

Fugu

That's unfortunate.

The idea that we should impress upon protesters the requirement that they act like a bunch of kids who've been bad in the face of such prolonged injustice is, to be brief, bullshit.

What I see here is a bunch of people protesting the murder of black people under the guise of policing acting out of total fear that what they've been fighting against might actually be unfolding right before their eyes.

That's unfortunate.

People will find something to take away from the protest regardless. You know, the actions of one represent all because black people are hivemind.

params7

Banned
Its like they're all one tight brotherhood. Cops and everyone in the judicial system. There's no one to police the cops in the US.

I'm telling people to behave not because of image. I'm saying it denigrates a good cause, generalizes it to fuck cops, and instigates police officers around them. Do protesters for Garner really want to deal with tear gas and LRADs because some asshole thought it's justifiable of him to throw a sign at a cop?

A sit in is likely far more effective than a sign thrown at someone's face. I get we're all angry here, but let's not be irrational.

We're talking about people protesting for fair and equal treatment, to be seen as fucking humans. If a sign is all it takes for people to lose sympathy those people can get fucked.

Not at all.

Hey guess what don't ruin a good protest by slinging a sign to someone's face.

I don't condone the actions but we really can't expect every single protester to keep their cool after the Garner and Brown shitshows of a grand jury. If the police system continues to breed blatant racism and a complete and systematic lack of accountability for killing citizens and then denying them any kind of trial, I'm sorry but signs WILL be thrown at one point or another.

Even if there was video evidence of a cop beating a black man to death while calling him the N word, we would still have right wing pundits claiming that this was taken out of context and a very isolated incident.

Seeing this video made me very sad. Nearly brought a tear to my eye. Yeah, the man was large. Putting someone in a repeated choke hold? Fuck that shit. The man never stood a chance. Even after he was subdued by 7 guys he was still getting choked despite claiming he can't breathe.

"But people always say they can't breathe! And if you can talk then you're fine!"
Fuck you Peter King you mean spirited asshole. I'm so sad to see people getting shot and beaten to death and people saying they more or less deserved it.

A man was choked to death and claimed he couldn't breathe. And that's just "an unfortunate accident".

commedieu

Banned
I don't condone the actions but we really can't expect every single protester to keep their cool after the Garner and Brown shitshows of a grand jury. If the police system continues to breed blatant racism and a complete and systematic lack of accountability for killing citizens and then denying them any kind of trial, I'm sorry but signs WILL be thrown at one point or another.

exactly.

All this 'concern' over the actions of the protesters tainting their real message is getting old. Its exploding now. This is how these things happen, unfortunately. You can just hope for saftey of people, and thats it. There isn't a file-form way to have an anger filled protest/revolution.

Mully, you hope people behave because of LRADs. This is missing the point entirely. The time for calm and understanding over this is coming to an end. Its going to be ugly, but what else are people expecting? Worldwide protests are happening, they are violent. Its literally the shit jfk and others have all spoken about.

The idea of black people treading lightly while being at the end of their wits is the most astounding thing to come out of these threads. And every time its just that much more sickening.

The justice system nation wide is broken. Social acceptance of murder is happening as long as its black people. Voting isn't solving the problem, as people don't vote to put murderers in office. Americans should all be upset. They aren't. Voting isn't changing that perception, and that is what is needed to actually do things peacefully. Black people, and I know because I'm one of them, have been on our best behavior. Getting educations, running shit, being president, etc... and still, still people buy the idea that its ok to be killed without a trial because you have hulk hogan strength, demon eyes, or resisting arrest. These are the people folks want to tell to organize peacefully because its not productive. What has been productive? Setting a best foot forward has changed nothing of our perception in this country. Are we supposed to rely on the GOP to allow any of our demands to hit legislation..? When they can't even agree with themselves, let alone anything a brown person is suggesting.

So tired of black people being targeted for the way they are reacting to this. Get used to it. Some people are literally, hysterically upset. Some aren't. People are all different. There is no hive mind. We get to watch what happens when you push citizens to the edge.
Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better unfortunately, because no one else seems to care.

Wag fingers all you want. As if our government/nation/how politics work is providing any realistic solutions.

abuC

That's unfortunate.

Fuck cops, a man was choked to death before that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom