• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

No restart. Kinda too deep in now I think. Im actually running out of rookies myself, just lost a rookie and a ranger to a 1 life mech near the end of a vip extraction mission lol. Im not save scumming dead soldiers for now.

Im debating restarting with mods, not sure yet. Im not sure if I would use a mod to remove the timers or simply just extend them, probably the later.

I'm in that angry/moppy place right now where everything is going tits up. XCOM 2 is like a hallway full of rakes and every move I make I get blatted in the face despite seeing them in front of me and knowing what the consequences are it I step on one. But there goes Clumsy McGroo, bumbling down the hallway left to right from all the rake blattings.

I finally started playing South Park and daaamn, this is a fun game.

I'm enjoying every second, which doesn't happend very often for me. Love the gameplay, story, characters and humor.

Obsidian, you genious.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh how one day changes your tune :p

What do you mean? I save scummed in XCOM 1 too

I'm in that angry/moppy place right now where everything is going tits up. XCOM 2 is like a hallway full of rakes and every move I make I get blatted in the face despite seeing them in front of me and knowing what the consequences are it I step on one. But there goes Clumsy McGroo, bumbling down the hallway left to right from all the rake blattings.

Quoting myself from the xcom2 thread

Kinda feel like restarting the game with mods, the "official" mods, a timer extension mod (not removal tho) and whatever else out there that adds to the experience. Anyone done this?

Dr Dogg

What do you mean? I save scummed in XCOM 1 too

Quoting myself from the xcom2 thread

You know I didn't think the timed missions were that bad but then this happened...
BC2A543E442A5EF63616EC24016A3B0D08DBDB0C
All because a Muton and 2 Snakes were blocking my path to the Skyranger. 6 turns of back and forth, a surprise Faceless came in at the side and then backup turned up. Should have just done a runner :(

Eila

This is the game that was never discounted on steam, right?

On Steam it hasn't been on sale since winter sale 2012. Recently it's been on sale on a few places, for $8 as well.
Also, NISA decided to publish Disgaea on a different publisher name than their last two games. Why?

Anteater

drunk bought condemned last night

and tried to play it with a controller

doesn't support a controller

fuck

i hope you refund me this time steam

Vamphuntr

I've played more of The Bureau XCOM Declassified. I'm having lot of fun with it. Like I read up on here it plays very similarly to Mass Effect but in a XCOM universe. It's a squad based third person shooter with cooldown abilities.

Just like in ME you have a power wheel but here it's called a "battle focus" where you order your teammates to use their powers and abilities. The twist is that you have to order them around to move them in and out of cover around the map. They have an AI but it's rather dumb and they scream all the time for you to give them order. You have a three characters team all the time. Outside of the main character the other two are generic recruits you hired and are bringing along. Depending on the difficulty level, they can die permanently if you don't revive them quickly enough or die permanently as soon as they fall on Commander difficulty.

The game has a warning pop up explaining that it's possible to create a failstate if you kill all of them and don't have anymore to recruit. You can customize everyone appearance (albeit a bit basic like clothes color and head style) and their loadout and choose which skill to choose at rank up. So far there are 4 types of recruit you can have support/recon/commando/engineer and you can choose a different background for each with grant some passive bonus like your laser turret being more resistant or taking less damage while running. You can send your extra recruits on OPS while you are on a mission where they get experience, find new recruits and discover weapon and techs.

Your main character is kind of unique class wise because he touched an alien artifact (remind you of another game?) and you get unique cooldown abilities like a group heal or the psy lift abilities. You pick 2 weapons to carry with you at the mission screen but you can switch them with those you find on a mission. Once you discover a new weapon it gets added to your stash at your base.

You have a home base where you can talk to the characters with a ME style conversation wheel and unlock side missions. There is also a shooting range to test your weapons. You can listen to audio logs and read files scattered around to learn more about the lore of the game.

It's not so bad looking for 360/PS3 game (crappy steam compressed shots).

It's really difficult. Especially the beginning since you don't have many abilities. The AI partner have a tendency to step on mines and to not move away from grenades which the enemy spam a lot. They also like to start shooting out of cover which mean death in this game so you have to order them all the time to go behind a wall. Once you get the laser/rocket turret, mines and decoy it gets much easier. You can also tell where battle will take place as battles requires waist-high walls :). The cover mechanic is a bit annoying as you stick to cover and sometimes you either went to move out or crawl behind cover and fail doing it haha.

Frankly it's not a bad game and you can do much worse for 4$. Even at full price I don't understand why it was panned so much. My guess is that fans didn't want this and chose the real XCOM instead.

Words of warning about the PC port. You have to turn off the two PhysX effect or the game crashes on Nvidia cards. It's apparently new and caused by the recent Nvidia driver update. Also turn down effect details to medium or else the game slows down to a crawl every time you go close to a light source on my 970. Otherwise you can max it and it runs at 60 FPS. You can also go up to 120 FPS. In my case on Win 10 I had to turn off cloud saving or the game would refuse to start.

That was my 2 cents about it.

taco543

K! so im doing a weird kind of giveaway! i have Episode 1 of Albino Lullaby, but sadly it is in my inventory. So first to pm me here on gaf with the Subject line saying "Apples over Waffles" Ill gift it to you on steam. GOOD LUCK!

Suddenly, moderators everywhere. Except Ozium... He just makes ya look twice.
oh shit jshackles is a mod now?

hey jshackles can I have a tag

What if he adds a space to the end of your current tag? Would you even notice?

Now everyone will check their tags. Remember, the truth is out there.

It's really difficult. Especially the beginning since you don't have many abilities. The AI partner have a tendency to step on mines and to not move away from grenades which the enemy spam a lot. They also like to start shooting out of cover which mean death in this game so you have to order them all the time to go behind a wall. Once you get the laser/rocket turret, mines and decoy it gets much easier. You can also tell where battle will take place as battles requires waist-high walls :). The cover mechanic is a bit annoying as you stick to cover and sometimes you either went to move out or crawl behind cover and fail doing it haha.

Frankly it's not a bad game and you can do much worse for 4$. Even at full price I don't understand why it was panned so much. My guess is that fans didn't want this and chose the real XCOM instead.

Words of warning about the PC port. You have to turn off the two PhysX effect or the game crashes on Nvidia cards. It's apparently new and caused by the recent Nvidia driver update. Also turn down effect details to medium or else the game slows down to a crawl every time you go close to a light source on my 970. Otherwise you can max it and it runs at 60 FPS. You can also go up to 120 FPS. In my case on Win 10 I had to turn off cloud saving or the game would refuse to start.

That was my 2 cents about it.
Good tips. If I ever play it (and I think my X-Com fandom will get the better of me one day) your post will help me a lot.

Now learn about the hellish development behind the Bureau.

Sch1sm

So.
3x more likely to get that ban-worthy comment caught?
Gawtdamn.
Congrats, you two. Roboleon, whose dick did you suck? Just curious.

--------

So, uh. I bought TIS-100. I. I'm gonna have to go back to it. I wish I could change the colours on it or something.

ModBot said:
:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (8-Bit Sunset, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Lux Delux -- MB-4327710CDEA02432 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Shattered Planet -- MB-DE7601DE9D8E094B - Taken by Shalashaska

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was asked if I wanted to be a mod. I asked if I could proceed to ban everyone except Doogie and I was told no.

I asked if I could put a picture of a giant spider in every one of my posts and I was told no.

I finally asked if I could at least ban anime from steamgaf and I was told no.

So I passed. Apparently mods cant do anything fun.

Anteater

seriously what's with these multiple hash shit, i want hudless screens in my video games and it's a pain in the aaaaaaaassssss

dude in space marine runs so slooooooow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom