• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

ADSL is the only fixed-line broadband service available where I am (although the government is slowly rolling out fibre here -- the original Ready for Service date was just two months from now :() and I'm roughly 3.5KM from the exchange. Said exchange has no third-party infrastructure, meaning all ISPs that service the area have to essentially rent customer ports, bandwidth, etc. from the incumbent telco, translating to higher prices than other areas wherein ISPs have installed their own equipment; and if you don't want to pay ~$100+ per month, people in my position are limited to "cheap and (at least somewhat) nasty" options if they want a generous download limit -- in my case, I pay $70 a month for an unmetered connection (excluding mandatory line rental, which is again something those in my position have to put up with), but it's artificially capped to 8Mbit down (which I'm okay with as I'm too far from the exchange to reach that, anyway) and 0.384Mbit down (which is frustratingly slow).

Max Payne 3 took around 15 hours, IIRC; Rage was too long ago for me to remember.

Sorry to hear that fellow GAFfer, it's indeed a shame you are paying such amount of money for that service. If you are fine with the 8Mbit it's okay but it would be nice if they could at least improve your Download speed.

I must say for all the difficulties my country is passing with the Economy and such we (as many others in Europe) can't really complain about Download speeds since Optic Fiber is a really common thing now in many places. The quality of such service is, however, another story but the speeds are fine and Optic Fiber really does help.

Copons

ADSL is the only fixed-line broadband service available where I am (although the government is slowly rolling out fibre here -- the original Ready for Service date was just two months from now :() and I'm roughly 3.5KM from the exchange. Said exchange has no third-party infrastructure, meaning all ISPs that service the area have to essentially rent customer ports, bandwidth, etc. from the incumbent telco, translating to higher prices than other areas wherein ISPs have installed their own equipment; and if you don't want to pay ~$100+ per month, people in my position are limited to "cheap and (at least somewhat) nasty" options if they want a generous download limit -- in my case, I pay $70 a month for an unmetered connection (excluding mandatory line rental, which is again something those in my position have to put up with), but it's artificially capped to 8Mbit down (which I'm okay with as I'm too far from the exchange to reach that, anyway) and 0.384Mbit up (which is frustratingly slow).

Max Payne 3 took around 15 hours, IIRC; Rage was too long ago for me to remember.

Are you from Australia, aren't you? Because you talking like this lead me to figure your house in some super remote place in the middle of a desert far away from the nearest paved road.
And then I realize that in Rome, 10km from the very geographical center of the Italian capital city, in an overcrowded and over-bourgeois neighborhood, I get the same D/U speed with like the most expensive and stable Internet plan I can get. :'(

Turfster

Huh. And then I was met by a "demo complete, alpha version launching in fall 2013" screen at the end of the mission. You'd think they'd have removed that in, you know, the alpha.

Continue restarts the same level with all 3 characters this time, New generates a new level with different characters.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry to hear that fellow GAFfer, it's indeed a shame you are paying such amount of money for that service. If you are fine with the 8Mbit it's okay but it would be nice if they could at least improve your Download speed.

I must say for all the difficulties my country is passing with the Economy and such we (as many others in Europe) can't really complain about Download speeds since Optic Fiber is a really common thing now in many places. The quality of such service is, however, another story but the speeds are fine and Optic Fiber really does help.

I'd like to see the upload speed cap removed as I could hit ~1Mbit quite easily (standard ADSL/ADSL2+ connections top out at 1Mbit up) and so my uploads would be roughly three times quicker, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The particular plan I'm on was actually grandfathered a while back and the product offering reshuffle that occurred wasn't particularly great -- although the artificial upload cap would be removed, $60 for 200GB isn't enticing at all, $80 for 300GB would be pushing it as I occasionally download more, and $100 for 500GB is too big a jump.

Including mandatory line rental, I pay in total $93 a month; if I were on fibre, a further $7 a month would buy me 100Mbit down/40Mbit up and a monthly quota of 1000GB. I should be counting down the weeks until I can kiss ADSL goodbye forever, but alas the rollout here has been progressing at a pace that would make even a snail seem comparatively fast.

nexen

I'm ... not sure I like La Mulana.

Raiden Legacy is so great. Needs to be on Steam though. Oh and it needs Raiden 2, how can it have every game except that one?

MRORANGE

ADSL is the only fixed-line broadband service available where I am (although the government is slowly rolling out fibre here -- the original Ready for Service date was just two months from now :() and I'm roughly 3.5KM from the exchange. Said exchange has no third-party infrastructure, meaning all ISPs that service the area have to essentially rent customer ports, bandwidth, etc. from the incumbent telco, translating to higher prices than other areas wherein ISPs have installed their own equipment; and if you don't want to pay ~$100+ per month, people in my position are limited to "cheap and (at least somewhat) nasty" options if they want a generous download limit. In my case, I pay $70 a month for an unmetered connection -- excluding mandatory line rental, which is again something those in my position have to put up with -- but it's artificially capped to 8Mbit down (which I'm okay with as I'm too far from the exchange to reach that, anyway) and 0.384Mbit up (which is frustratingly slow).

Just checked mine, I'm like less than 200 meters away from my exchange.

My Internet is still shit though.

Turfster

I'm ... not sure I like La Mulana.

Raiden Legacy is so great. Needs to be on Steam though. Oh and it needs Raiden 2, how can it have every game except that one?

Oh, so everything went smoothly in the end?
Or should I be ready to accept my caning...

ADSL is the only fixed-line broadband service available where I am (although the government is slowly rolling out fibre here -- the original Ready for Service date was just two months from now :() and I'm roughly 3.5KM from the exchange. Said exchange has no third-party infrastructure, meaning all ISPs that service the area have to essentially rent customer ports, bandwidth, etc. from the incumbent telco, translating to higher prices than other areas wherein ISPs have installed their own equipment; and if you don't want to pay ~$100+ per month, people in my position are limited to "cheap and (at least somewhat) nasty" options if they want a generous download limit. In my case, I pay $70 a month for an unmetered connection -- excluding mandatory line rental, which is again something those in my position have to put up with -- but it's artificially capped to 8Mbit down (which I'm okay with as I'm too far from the exchange to reach that, anyway) and 0.384Mbit up (which is frustratingly slow).

I envy you, I remember when I had ADSL, all stable and reliable then I had to move to the equivalent of Beverly hills with a fancy lagoon nearby and I got WiMAX, yes I moved to a up-scale neighbourhood and my internet got downgraded! do you know what I feels like to have no internet for a whole weekend!?

Tenrius

In my case, I pay $70 a month for an unmetered connection -- excluding mandatory line rental, which is again something those in my position have to put up with -- but it's artificially capped to 8Mbit down (which I'm okay with as I'm too far from the exchange to reach that, anyway) and 0.384Mbit up (which is frustratingly slow).

Are you from Australia, aren't you? Because you talking like this lead me to figure your house in some super remote place in the middle of a desert far away from the nearest paved road.
And then I realize that in Rome, 10km from the very geographical center of the Italian capital city, in an overcrowded and over-bourgeois neighborhood, I get the same D/U speed with like the most expensive and stable Internet plan I can get. :'(

Russia has some very decent Internet service compared to this. Here is my post from a thread about ISPs from the off-topic section:

450 roubles ($14) a month gets you a maximum of 40 Mbit down during the day and 100 (Ethernet's limit) during the night, which is 1 AM - 9AM. Not so sure about upload, it doesn't seem to be limited per se, but I'm typically getting 20-30 on my Wi-Fi router. No traffic caps, of course.

dani_dc

Here's hoping for PES 2014 on Steam today.

It's surreal how little information some companies give on Steam release or their PC versions in general (Konami and Namco-Bandai in particular).

JaseC

Yeah, I'm in (Western) Australia, but I live in a small coastal town that's only ~45 minutes from the capital and is sandwiched between two smaller cities, one of which is actually the second-largest city in the state... but of course this isn't taken into account when classifying exchanges, so we're still "regional" as far as Telstra is concerned. Psh.

Just checked mine, I'm like less than 200 meters away from my exchange.

My Internet is still shit though.

I can live with the download speed, but uploading stuff at ~38KBps just tortuous, especially since the connection is practically unusable while the upload is underway.

I envy you, I remember when I had ADSL, all stable and reliable then I had to move to the equivalent of Beverly hills with a fancy lagoon nearby and I got WiMAX, yes I moved to a up-scale neighbourhood and my internet got downgraded! do you know what I feels like to have no internet for a whole weekend!?

There was a massive storm last year, leaving my place without the 'net, and power, for a few days. It was awful. :(

Russia has some very decent Internet service compared to this. Here is my post from a thread about ISPs from the off-topic section:

Cheap internet and cheap games! Pity about some of the other stuff...

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Here's hoping for PES 2014 on Steam today.

It's surreal how little information some companies give on Steam release or their PC versions in general (Konami and Namco-Bandai in particular).

JAPAN motherfucker*. (*read as Doakes)

Turfster

Huh.
You can't upload screenshots of a game that's in alpha/early access?
Took a couple of Incognita screenies, and the Visibility dropdown box is locked to "Private".

Copons

Yeah, I'm in (Western) Australia, but I live in a small coastal town that's only ~45 minutes from the capital and is sandwiched between two smaller cities, one of which is actually the second-largest city in the state... but of course this isn't taken into account when classifying exchanges, so we're still "regional" as far as Telstra is concerned. Psh.

Ah, what a shame.
I live in this new neighborhood, built from scratch in the last 5-10 years and, in perfect Roman style, with no planned infrastructures at all. So I'm in this huge high-class building (~300 apartments / ~1000 people) with like a dozen other similar buildings nearby, just two fucking 2 lanes roads linking to downtown, no subway, and of course the nearest exchange is in the old side of the area, more than 2km away from here.
The biggest joke is that one of the CEOs of my Internet provider lives one block south of me, and he brought optic fiber up to his building and then said fuck it for the rest of the neighborhood. :D

nexen

Oh, so everything went smoothly in the end?
Or should I be ready to accept my caning...

Er, what? No, it was fine. I just thought it was weird that it took so long to get the keys. I was neck deep in sweet, sweet Raiden emulation as soon as I got home.

The_Monk

Been enjoying assault android cactus. Thanks honorless!

Oh I almost forgot about this amazing giveaway fellow GAFfer, I hope people got happy with it.

Guess I need to go all the way back and check who won Papers, Please. Whoever it was, I hope he can enjoy that game, it's been on my radar for some time.

JaseC

Huh.
You can't upload screenshots of a game that's in alpha/early access?
Took a couple of Incognita screenies, and the Visibility dropdown box is locked to "Private".

Like Grim Dawn, the app is flagged as private. While you see this in your friends list:

incog1ggcwx.jpg

Other people just see that you're in-game, with no name mentioned, which you can verify for yourself by viewing your Community profile:

incog2oufke.jpg

Ah, what a shame.
I live in this new neighborhood, built from scratch in the last 5-10 years and, in perfect Roman style, with no planned infrastructures at all. So I'm in this huge high-class building (~300 apartments / ~1000 people) with like a dozen other similar buildings nearby, just two fucking 2 lanes roads linking to downtown, no subway, and of course the nearest exchange is in the old side of the area, more than 2km away from here.
The biggest joke is that one of the CEOs of my Internet provider lives one block south of me, and he brought optic fiber up to his building and then said fuck it for the rest of the neighborhood. :D

The new estate annexed to my town recently had a one of its stages flagged as Ready for Service. It hurts knowing that homes literally a 15-minute walk away already have fibre. :(

enjoy guys

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-3C9DA1F475A013D4

Copons

Just wondering if... uh... someone doesn't have this already.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Bastion -- MB-7669BF740EB7C69E

Turfster

Like Grim Dawn, the app is flagged as private. While you see this in your friends list:

Other people just see that you're in-game, with no name mentioned, which you can verify for yourself by viewing your Community profile:
Ah. Did not know this.
This is my first early alpha/pre-release thingamajig.

So X rebirth got updated 11 minutes ago.
X BUNDLE IN LESS THAN 4 HOURS, BELIEVE.

Tenrius

If I can find a long enough ethernet cable, may I plug it in your router, plz? :D

Ha, sure.

Cheap internet and cheap games! Pity about some of the other stuff...

Well, it's not that bad. There are some nice perks here and there and one can lead more than a decent life if you set everything straight (pun not intended). I'm interested in moving abroad myself though, mostly for the sake of adventure.

JaseC

Well, it's not that bad. There are some nice perks here and there and one can lead more than a decent life if you set everything straight (pun not intended). I'm interested in moving abroad myself though, mostly for the sake of adventure.

Oh, certainly. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom