• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Woooooo! Shitty cards are back!

Anyway, my father accidently bought a game from my account and i send a ticket to Valve about refund. Anyone had this experience? Any chance on getting money back? :)

It's exceedingly rare for Valve to grant refunds outside of pre-orders (keys aren't assigned until release so there's no issue here) or in cases where either it's obligated to do so as per consumer law in the user's country or there's a palpable amount of outrage (e.g. The War Z).

So I started playing Spelunky... and I think I'm finally starting to see why people always rave about this game, which is somewhat surprising because I tried the free version a long time ago and I didn't really care for it from what little I can remember, but to my surprise the paid version has managed to grab me and I don't know why.

It's not like I don't have problems with the game. The first time a giant boulder came out of nowhere and killed me was complete bullshit, and I really don't like that stupid ghost. It kills my fun when I'm just minding my bussiness exploring the levels and getting loot. I'm slowly getting used to the ghost's presence, but I'd prefer if the ghost just didn't exist.

But yeah, from what little I've played it's been some good (if somewhat frustrating) fun. I put it in the same category of "games I can play in-between other games or when I don't know what to play" as games as CSGO, TF2, Poker Night and Duke Nukem 3D.
The giant boulder doesn't come out of nowhere. Golden idol in a big open space is a sign of trouble in something as treacherous as Spelunky and it only triggers after you pick it up (like that scene in Indiana Jones).

Also, the ghost turns into a relative non-issue soon enough. Yeah, it might seem imposing given that it one-shots you on touch, but it's very slow as is and can easily be kited around with a bit of know-how. That's after ignoring the fact that the stages are usually small enough to the point that you can see most of a - if not the entire - level in far less than three minutes (which is when the ghost spawns). To make matters even more peachy, the appearance of the ghost can (without spoiling why) actually be very beneficial to you! Maybe you're walking around too much rather than running when it's safe to do so; wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard that from a Spelunky newbie. Bottom line though: the ghost is designed around the game's sensibilities, its presence is moreso a mental guardbreak rather than a 'physical' roadblock that impedes your overall progress and the only time it is truly threatening, is when you attempt to juggle multiple things at the same time (fulfilling requirements for secrets, aiming for 500k+ highscores, collecting all the valuable goodies, maximizing the most out of items like the pickaxe, ...) after gaining a ton of in-game experience.

If you stick with the game, you'll eventually get to the point where you won't really sweat the ghost being, well, there.

Ohh I really do need to get this game.
I'm going through FPS fatigue with the popular ones these past few years, so Call of Juarez: Gunslinger really caught me off-guard with how good and well-executed it is. Not only in the way its narrative unfolds, but also due to how satisfying the shooting feels (which naturally enhances Arcade Mode's worth).

Also: you're A-OK in my book if you liked The Club. That game was ahead of its time unfortunately, and with Bizarre Creations being out of the picture now...

Damn can't get DS3 working on PC. Tried the XInput Wrapper thing that I read about gaf but didn't do it. Probably just easier to buy a X360 controller, they're pretty cheap right now. Or actually I'm planning to trade one of my two PS3s to a XBOX360 package so I could get a controller that way too.

I've installed a few racing games now in steam but don't want to commit to them before I have a working controller.

Starting the first Call of Juarez right now. Will then check out The Cartel and as a reward for playing these two games I'll get to Gunslinger which demo I really liked.

FloatOn

"The Uruguayan government today announced that the country will soon be renamed Ursohigh in a bid to better reflect the status of its populace."

360fx360f

plane-taking-off.jpg

I'm coming for you sansa.

JaseC

Can't wait to see the winter sale OP. Could be more entertaining than sale itself, no? ;)

It won't exist because Salsa will be high and staring at his copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, laughing at the fact that it's named "New Leaf".

Starting the first Call of Juarez right now. Will then check out The Cartel and as a reward for playing these two games I'll get to Gunslinger which demo I really liked.

Did you mean to say Bound In Blood here? The Cartel is considered trash by just about everyone. Take Crab Milk Mickey's advice and give it a miss.

Spotted one of the foil snow globe cards on the market for $1 last night. Bought it and resold for $6.66 (I got $5.54 from that after Valve's cut), which I'm feeling pretty good about. My first attempt at playing the market, which is only really possible when quantities are still somewhat limited.

Did you mean to say Bound In Blood here? The Cartel is considered trash by just about everyone. Take Crab Milk Mickey's advice and give it a miss.

I meant The Cartel as I got it in a bundle and I'm on a mission to play all my library. Though the idea of installing that doesn't seem very attractive after these comments..

Anyway played the first one a bit, I didn't really like the main character and but I kinda warmed towards the game after a bit. There are not that many western games so it's fun to play one - I do own RDR but haven't played it yet. Got stuck though when you need to run out of the town, have fallen like 10 times from the cliff. I'll give it another go later on.

Zia

So, how can Valve "fix" the new user reviews system? I was about to post my first, for Samurai Gunn, then scrolled down to see where the best reviews had no more than a 50% helpful rating. Really, what's the point when you have people (for whatever sad reason) bombing everything so that the good stuff's unable to rise to the top?

It's the same issue Greenlight had, where it's a wonderful idea that expects too much of the average user.

Dr Dogg

So, how can Valve "fix" the new user reviews system? I was about to post my first, for Samurai Gunn, then scrolled down to see where the best reviews had no more than a 50% helpful rating. Really, what's the point when you have people (for whatever sad reason) bombing everything so that the good stuff's unable to rise to the top?

It's the same issue Greenlight had, where it's a wonderful idea that expects too much of the average user.

Well apart from only allowing people who own and have played a significant chunk of the game allowed to review and rate reviews as helpful or not it's going to be same old, same old under this system. Admittedly it works well for Amazon but maybe some more filters other than just friends reviews and extended to helpful ratings might make it actually useful.

Yay, I checked my mail and there was my retail FM12 and FM09. Though as it is with pc gaming today - open them, use the steam codes and put the retail boxes somewhere away and never see them again.

That FM09 had a weird ass key though, I was worried it wouldn't activate on steam but luckily that wasn't the case.

cicero

I still have two foils -- and they're the only two available -- listed at $2.72. They've been collecting digital dust for a week now.

I wouldn't say $10+ is unreasonable, it's just that most people wait it out. If your card is the only one on offer then there's little harm in trying to flog it off for a higher price; you might get lucky (RionaaM recently sold a foil for $10, IIRC).

Is palmdesert still purchasing like he used to? Or the other Steam whales? I had started to try to buy newer games that got cards, or speculated and bought the cards myself, and tried to get them listed before he was active in Japan. It worked well for a while until I speculated wrong and got burned with some foils.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, I got a booster pack. :eek: :eek: :O!

First time. Must've been waiting... oh... 4 months from exhausting the initial set to now for it. 6 months since I started to play on Steam.

Seriously though, that drop rate: Terrible. :/

JaseC

They only sold that version in Chernobyl-based IP addresses.

Haha, it's okay, I've e-mailed GSC asking if it's possible to obtain a key for the game and also explained why I'd like it.

tumblr_inline_ml0s8laf9o02.gif

(I suspect I'll just be ignored once more.)

Is palmdesert still purchasing like he used to? Or the other Steam whales? I had started to try to buy newer games that got cards, or speculated and bought the cards myself, and tried to get them listed before he was active in Japan. It worked well for a while until I speculated wrong and got burned with some foils.

Yeah, but to get on their radar you need to snag a foil as quickly as possible after a game receives cards, otherwise I assume these badgers just sift through their friends lists and trade for it.

First time. Must've been waiting... oh... 4 months from exhausting the initial set to now for it. 6 months since I started to play on Steam.

I snagged an RIPD booster today; it's worth around $2.70. Not bad! Hasn't sold yet, though.

Arthea

The Cartel got glowing reviews? In which universe?
*confused*

It it makes you feel better, drop rate of booster packs seems to be all over the place, meaning random, so you might get more of them than 1 in 4 months later on.

Turfster

It all comes down to numbers.
First, people need to craft badges, which will probably be happening more in the run up to and during the sale. Second, you need a high level yourself to have more chances.
on to something else, does anyone here want a Wasteland 1 key for Steam or GOG?

I'd love the steam key...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom