• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

i can add you on my family share account if you want to play. show you the ropes a bit. dodging, kiting if things go to poop, good camping spots, etc.

the main thing holding lvl 0s back is the cost of the weapons. perk bonuses are a big deal but i'd say the lack of dosh is a bigger one at lvl 0. it's easy to level up though.

That's alright. I'll just keep it in the backlog until I have the desire to make an effort to form a reliable group of players to coop with.

derExperte

Shotgun-ner. I started playing at beginner, then thought "hey, you know, I should like not suck so bad", upped the difficulty, then began to cry for a few hours.

What Chronoja said. It's not about sucking, a low-level character doesn't deal out enough damage to handle hordes of enemies, they'll overrun you. Of course if someone knows the levels and how enemies behave there are ways but I would highly recommend searching for beginner servers and repeatedly playing easier levels like West London for example. And if you want we could play a round or two together.

PS I don't think Support is a good idea to start with when going solo. Try Commando.

rtcn63

YtXgG7H.gif

01d.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve just released a new "Game Notifications" API that lets developers notify players through Steam when it's their turn to play. Designed for "hotseat" multiplayer games like Chess or Civ 5, etc.

I really hope developers don't start abusing this.

dSDCDP3.png

Salsa

Do you have the first Season installed by any chance? Any save game in there?

I have everything

I did the props.pref trick that helped last time I had fucking SAVE ISSUES THAT NEGLECT THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME and I have either a season 1 completed save, or a "Season 1 till episode 4 + 400 days" save. Even tho I finished everything.

I wanted to play the first ep of Season 2 tonight. I pre-ordered the thing, downloaded it, and made time to play tonight, cause its gonna be hard in the upcoming days cause I have work.

for fuck's sake I just want to sit and play your game. And people are complaining about having to play the whole thing again cause its not recognizing anything at all. It's the ONE issue you absolutely cannot have in this kind of thing and they keep sucking at it. It's like a joke.

I have everything

I did the props.pref trick that helped last time I had fucking SAVE ISSUES THAT NEGLECT THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME and I have either a season 1 completed save, or a "Season 1 till episode 4 + 400 days" save. Even tho I finished everything.

I wanted to play the first ep of Season 2 tonight. I pre-ordered the thing, downloaded it, and made time to play tonight, cause its gonna be hard in the upcoming days cause I have work.

for fuck's sake I just want to sit and play your game. And people are complaining about having to play the whole thing again cause its not recognizing anything at all. It's the ONE issue you absolutely cannot have in this kind of thing and they keep sucking at it. It's like a joke.

At least it boots under windows 8. Small steps for Telltale.

Salsa

I love the walking dead and I love telltale since before that and I hate to bash it but man they make it so hard to feel any other way sometimes. It's like literally the worst issue you could have with this sort of thing. It's madenning.

The_Monk

You are reporting similar problems when I went from "All the Episodes finished" to the 400 Days DLC. Same happened to me.

I can't believe they messed up again in Season, sorry Salsa and all the others. :( This is just bad, I want to play this game too sooner or later but this worries me.

I love the walking dead and I love telltale since before that and I hate to bash it but man they make it so hard to feel any other way sometimes. It's like literally the worst issue you could have with this sort of thing. It's madenning.

And I was curious for their Borderlands Story game and hyped for the Game of Thrones one too. Ugh... such a shame for them to not make this work properly.

I had no problem with my Walking Dead save file. Could be cuz I finished 400 days 5 minutes before 2nd season went up.

Great episode btw, full of feels. ):

Onionkid

This is the first time I've gifted codes with the new Humble Bundle "gift links" so I hope this works! PM me if something goes wrong!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn4.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg

Little Inferno -- MB-CBE8BE004679C0FB - Taken by Cody_D165
Zeno Clash -- MB-8FE5D4DCDF2A5302 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Gemini Rue -- MB-749F45E8BE4CEDA7 - Taken by Fox318
Killing Floor -- MB-7D1380FAD5C0B2CE - Taken by RS4-

Chronoja

So either stick to beginner, or find yourself some competent hookers to play along, but still at beginner.

Well if you find a full server (6, 5 + you) playing Normal / Hard difficulty and most of them are level 4 - 6 you joining probably won't cause that much of a problem, you'll be able to do just fine. If you jumped into a Suicidal difficulty as level 0 then things might start getting hairy. Obviously how you play and who you play with is up to you, you're by no means restricted to playing only beginner level, just that playing the difficulties in order, at least in the start, makes the learning curve easier and as your classes start leveling, which most of them do fairly quickly at the start anyways, you'll be playing the harder difficulties in no time.

You just get a lot of people who take the difficulty levels like any other game, "I'm used to fps, this should be no problem" or worse as an element of pride "I'm too good to play anything lower than Hard", hopping straight at level 0 into a Hard game and winding up causing more trouble than they're worth. I'm only speaking from experience here, I've had a few games of level 0's jumping into Hard / Suicidal games and it's not because they suck but they just don't have the class bonuses to pull their weight effectively leading to a failure.

So yeah, just find that balance between difficulty and class level and you'll be grand.

(also don't listen to derExperte about the Support class, the shotguns at level 6 are god tier, the double barrel alone is amongst one of gaming's greatest shotguns of all time) :p
(It helps to have multiple / all your classes around the same level, just means you can switch to a role to compliment your team better if you need to. If you get a handle on being a medic you can damn near solo everything. I've seen medics survive against insurmountable odds after the entire team has died and they were the only ones remaining)

zkylon

zkylewd
I dunno why people worry so much about twd 2 not taking twd 1 savefile

not like telltale actually cares for any of your decisions or anything :p

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yo SteamGAF

This is basically my home

And even though 23 year olds all fucking suck

I am the one that sucks the least.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Hugs and kisses to you all

Except for the Sorcy Ronald Regan chick avatar wearing bananas. Except JaseC, the OG.

I don't do giveaways because that's fucking cheesy

it's my birthday

Happy Birthday!

Omikron

Valve just released a new "Game Notifications" API that lets developers notify players through Steam when it's their turn to play. Designed for "hotseat" multiplayer games like Chess or Civ 5, etc.

I really hope developers don't start abusing this.

dSDCDP3.png

I have 2 notifications already stuck because of Small World :<

derExperte

(also don't listen to derExperte about the Support class, the shotguns at level 6 are god tier, the double barrel alone is amongst one of gaming's greatest shotguns of all time) :p

When I'm around shotguns are useless as everything has been burned to a crisp before getting close enough. :O Nah, they're okay, I just think there are better classes for the first few hours.

So yeah, just find that balance between difficulty and class level and you'll be grand. (also don't listen to derExperte about the Support class, the shotguns at level 6 are god tier, the double barrel alone is amongst one of gaming's greatest shotguns of all time) :p

HoE scrake uppercuts and fp combos with doubleshotty are boss.

but unless you cheese it (and there are a few ways) the welding points take a while and it's a hindrance to level up quickly. that's why he's probably stuck on support 0 - not because of the weapon damage requirement but because of the welding

commandos have the stalker requirement - it takes a long time to lvl up 5 and 6 with that class.

sharps are easy to level if you go for head shots. same for demo (spam your grenades until you're lvl 2 demo and then start playing as the class and buying the launchers). zerks are relatively easy to level too if you know what you're doing.

the key phrase is "if you know what you're doing" because the entire game's mechanics, like you said already, are hidden or sometimes counter intuitive. that's why people stop playing it after a few hours, in my opinion.

Faabulous

While you guys are talking about Telltale issues, I'd like to put on record that The Walking Dead STILL doesn't boot up if I have my generic USB controller connected.

Seanspeed

Banned
Tried out Papers, Please for the first time.

Is this another stupidly hard rogue-like where you have to play it like 50x before you can even somewhat consider yourself a little bit successful? I spent an hour playing, just watching my whole family suffer and starve because I couldn't make more than $10 a day. It was interesting, but not fun. You are repeatedly given way too much to do and way too little time.

I'm thinking that I just need to stop trying these rogue-like games.

Chronoja

When I'm around shotguns are useless as everything has been burned to a crisp before getting close enough. :O Nah, they're okay, I just think there are better classes for the first few hours.

To be fair I started the game before all these extraneous weapon packs and whatnot were added to the game, classes like the Firebug were largely situational by only having the flamethrower and it wasn't even that good at the time. All this advice might be moot if the leveling experience has change drastically from all the additions, but I don't it has changed *that* much overall.

What I will say though is that for Killing Floor 2, I hope they do rethink the mechanics of leveling process. Some classes are just plain boring to level or take far too long. Having to weld doors continuously as Support for example just becomes tedious or annoying since you spend half a game staring at a door or other people weld it for ya.

Grief.exe

Is this another stupidly hard rogue-like where you have to play it like 50x before you can even somewhat consider yourself a little bit successful? I spent an hour playing, just watching my whole family suffer and starve because I couldn't make more than $10 a day. It was interesting, but not fun. You are repeatedly given way too much to do and way too little time.

I didn't think it was too difficult if you thought quickly and had a good system in place. Immensely fun for me, but I can see it not being for everyone.

zkylon

zkylewd
maybe it's a metephor

because decisions in TWD didn't matter
:p

I like the whole concept of your choices actually not mattering being for reals, but I don't think that was teltalle was doing.

dunno about final build but the beta was pretty doable without being a pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom