• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

checking out this post on r/gamedeals: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1rhfzu/amazon_black_friday_sale_day_6/

amazon is apparently giving $5 credit for every purchase made during their sale. the catch being that it can only be spent during a sale in january '14. but heres the interesting part: i currently have $63 dollars in credit, and i haven't made an amazon purchase in months. i have probably made 12 digital purchases over the past year or so through amazon, so it adds up. im wondering if a glitch gave out credits to more purchases then they intended. crappy part is you can't spend it til january so that gives them plenty of time to fix the glitch (if it is a glitch)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The imminence of the Autumn Sale has reminded me that I haven't updated my Steam Spending 2013 spreadsheet since the Summer Sale ended.

Deques

checking out this post on r/gamedeals: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1rhfzu/amazon_black_friday_sale_day_6/

amazon is apparently giving $5 credit for every purchase made during their sale. the catch being that it can only be spent during a sale in january '14. but heres the interesting part: i currently have $63 dollars in credit, and i haven't made an amazon purchase in months. i have probably made 12 digital purchases over the past year or so through amazon, so it adds up. im wondering if a glitch gave out credits to more purchases then they intended. crappy part is you can't spend it til january so that gives them plenty of time to fix the glitch (if it is a glitch)

So far I have bought one game from Amazon since last week. I haven't received any credits yet. Seems like they are sending credits randomly

Jawmuncher

Watch out for that.
If it's like last year the 5 credit can only be used once per game.
So if you have 10 in credit you don't get 10 off a game in january. Rather 2 purchases in january will get 5 off. From the selected list of games.

JaseC

Watch out for that.
So if you have 10 in credit you don't get 10 off a game in january. Rather 2 purchases in january will get 5 off. From the selected list of games.

Correct, the credit doesn't stack. It's $5 off per purchase.

Deques

i haven't gotten any emails, but checking this link shows your (maybe) credit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...1401&pf_rd_p=1283575622&pf_rd_i=1000477021#gc

It says that I have $63.90 in credits. I have no idea what credits what I have. $5 should be from my last purchase, but the rest of $58.90?

Uhh, wha? That's not my post...

image.php

Natterot

Banned
So the upcoming Steam sale is my first big steam sale. Are the prices really going to be that good? Like is it going to be Deal of the Day prices but for more games?

JakeD

Watch out for that.

considering i did absolutely nothing to get these twelve $5 dollar coupons, ill take it! theres bound to be a few 4.99 games.

JaseC

JaseC is living above a goldmine confirmed.

An Australium mine, to be precise!

So the upcoming Steam sale is my first big steam sale. Are the prices really going to be that good? Like is it going to be Deal of the Day prices but for more games?

Expect discounts no larger than 75% for the most part. In addition to Daily Deals there should also be Flash Sales and a Community's Choice poll.

Arthea

845 items totalling ~$3,854.87, representing ~$10,696.81 worth of content and an effective saving of ~$6,841.94. I'd guess I'm up to at least $5k by now.

That's surprisingly much less than I thought. Or is it only what you've spent buying directly from steam store? Still 845 games ... seems a bit too little, it's like less than $5 per game?

JaseC

That's surprisingly much less than I thought. Or is it only what you've spent buying directly from steam store? Still 845 games ... seems a bit too little, it's like less than $5 per game?

The spreadsheet is five months old now; I kept putting off updating it and eventually forgot all about it. I think I'll forgo Black Flag tomorrow and instead spend my free time updating it while idling for cards. It's not quite as easy as just copying and pasting from Steam/GMG/etc. receipts since I also include bundles (assuming I activated at least one of the keys) and these days most of my games I acquire through trading (which Valve doesn't offer history for outside of the recently-introduced trade offers feature), so I have to cross-check PayPal/Google Wallet receipts against my account history.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Around 80-85% of the stuff on the store will be at least 50% off. A lot of stuff will be 75% off. There will be featured sales every day. The thing about the major sale events is that if there's one game you absolutely positively want, then you'll probably be disappointed if the discount isn't big enough. And to be honest, if there's one thing you really really want, it'll probably be cheaper in later sales. But sales provide good opportunities to mop up a lot of the stuff on your wishlist, particularly older games, at a cheap price.

Another great thing about your first sale is that publisher packs go on sale for 50-75% off. Being able to get every game PopCap ever made for $49 is kind of nifty. Once you've already built up a huge library these become less appealing in general, but when you're just getting started they're great. I believe one of my first Steam sale purchases was every game iD ever made for $34.

In the age of indie bundles, your per-game cost is going to be higher on a steam sale than on a bundle so that takes some of the excitement out of it. And as Valve has reduced the meta-game aspects that's also drained some of my personal interest. But it's still neat.

The fall sale is comparatively minor to the Christmas sale.

Slyjss

Expect discounts no larger than 75% for the most part. In addition to Daily Deals there should also be Flash Sales and a Community's Choice poll.

No more than 75 %? Than I'll wait for the Holiday Sales, I'm sure some games will get better discounts and I can wait a month.

JaseC

No more than 75 %? Than I'll wait for the Holiday Sales, I'm sure some games will get better discounts and I can wait a month.

Discounts above 75% are something of a rarity, though in recent months have become slightly more common among indie/self-published games.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
im wondering if a glitch gave out credits to more purchases then they intended.
I am also wondering this, because I apparently received the $5 credit for purchasing a $0.99 game.

Gvaz

Banned
Starting up steam today after I got back home from work in the Update News pop up for Steam, Steam wallet codes are now able to be purchased here in Japan via convenience stores. This will be very nice for the upcoming fall and winter sales.

But the thing of importance to everyone who doesn't live in Japan, the official steam website advertised in the update news selling the steam wallet codes, says when the sale begins and ends.

https://steam.degica.com/
To those who can't read Japanese the website lists that the sale will start at 3 a.m on the 28th here in Japan or 10 a.m Pacific Standard time on November 27th, and it will end at 10 a.m PST on December 4th.
Figures that the november sale will be going on when my paycheck isn't till the 6th

Discounts above 75% are something of a rarity, though in recent months have become slightly more common among indie/self-published games.

Only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Alan Wake (mainly because of the past bundle) and Tropico 4. I THINK both of those usually hit around 80% or so.

Parsnip

Just got my Shivah Kosher edition key from Wadjet Eye. Those guys are awesome.

Game count 420. Slowly but surely climbing towards a glorious 500.

Slyjss

No. Pretty much confirmed that 75% in one sale will be 75% in the other.

But some small games get even better discounts on Holiday Sales (Time Gentlemen Please usually goes to 90% off without Daily, for example) and those are the kind of games I'm interested in buying before Christmas. I guess I'll wait to see how this Fall Sale develops.

JaseC

Only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Alan Wake (mainly because of the past bundle) and Tropico 4. I THINK both of those usually hit around 80% or so.

Super Meat Boy (80%) and the Serious Sam games (90%) come to mind also.

Deques

Once the sale has started, a new Steam thread will be created. You should read the first post for the tips when buying games during the sale.

Here are 5 simple rules to follow
Rule number 1 - Wait for the daily deal
Rule number 2 - Wait for the daily deal
Rule number 3 - Wait for the daily deal
Rule number 4 - Wait for the daily deal
Rule number 5 - Wait for the daily deal

This picture is very helpful too
iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

Turfster

But some small games get even better discounts on Holiday Sales (Time Gentlemen Please usually goes to 90% off without Daily, for example) and those are the kind of games I'm interested in buying before Christmas. I guess I'll wait to see how this Fall Sale develops.

There was a leaked email to developers. http://i.imgur.com/BazPkxO.png
I guess you could be right for the flash sales, but the base percentage will be the same, and we all know the game you want cheaper is never going to be in a flash sale anyway. It'll just be the same usual suspects over and over again =p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There was a leaked email to developers. http://i.imgur.com/BazPkxO.png

All that email says is that the Base Price discount will be the same on both sales.

I wonder if a game can NOT be featured on a daily deal on the Autumn sale, but on a Daily Deal in the Winter Sale.

Even if it doesn't, it'll be discounted for the same price on the Winter Sale, so you shouldn't buy a game this Autumn Sale, unless it's a daily deal.

Freezard

Amazon Steam deals 27/11
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition $9.99
Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition $7.49
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition $9.99
MUD - FIM Motorcross World Championship $7.49
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures $19.99
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ $4.99
RIDGE RACER Unbounded $4.99
Rogue Trooper $1.49
Sniper Elite V2 $5.99
Sniper Elite V2 - Kill Hitler DLC Pack $2.39
Sniper Elite V2 - The Landwehr Canal DLC Pack $1.49
Sniper Elite V2 - The Neudorf Outpost DLC Pack $1.49
Sniper Elite V2 Bundle $9.99
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army v4.49
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 4 $Pack 11.99
Star Trek $4.99
Test Drive Pack (Ferrari racing + Unlimited 2) $14.99
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends $14.99

Turfster

All that email says is that the Base Price discount will be the same on both sales.
Which is all I claimed ;)
I'm calling the flash sale winners now:
Borderlands 2, Fallout 3, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Serious Sam 3, Darksiders, Fez, Just Cause 2. Repeat as needed.

Jawmuncher

It's the quality not the quantity that counts. If I could do it all over again there would be so many shitty games I wouldn't have tied to my account FOREVER.

I gave up on trying to do that. Mainly because of the fucking humble bundle deals that put all the games in 1 key. Now I just throw everything in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom