• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

ChoklitReign said:
I have yet to see a multiplayer game use this form of DRM. Why would single-player games need servers? Is that how it works?
Yes. If Ubisoft shuts down the DRM servers for AC2 your disc is a coaster.

speculawyer said:
That is the most fucked up thing I've read today.

I've done it a few times but it sucks . . . Hell, the touch pad is annoying just for using Windows even.

Hey man, I tried playing TF2 with a trackpad and I was actually getting kills. I was probably as good as I would have been with a controller. :lol

MNC said:
Seriously, once you play a few times with touchpad, set your sensitivity high enough, it's almost even better than a trackball mouse.

So a trackball mouse is lower than a laptop nipple, but higher than using a numpad? Just making sure we got this heirarchy of laughable gaming input devices sorted out. Where do Wacom tablets fit in? Model airplane simulator controllers?

nexen

TouchMyBox said:
Hey man, I tried playing TF2 with a trackpad and I was actually getting kills. I was probably as good as I would have been with a controller. :lol
Heh. I learned how to fly the helicopter on BF2 with a trackpad when my only real computer was a laptop. I don't recommend it but you can acclimatize to it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
TouchMyBox said:
How is this possible? Wow. You must have some kind of amazing hand to eye coordination. Or you were a heavy.

Aaron

nexen said:
Yes. If Ubisoft shuts down the DRM servers for AC2 your disc is a coaster.
They promised to release a patch before taking the servers down. The only thing you would have to worry about is the company itself going down, which is pretty unlikely.

Suairyu

Banned
EVERYONE get Plain Sight!

The servers have been fairly dead lately, but when you have a medium-large (you can get too many if you raise the player cap) group it's one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences you ever had.

I'd really love to get a GAF group going for this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Crazy Plain Sight sale, understandable though, last time I wanted to play there were 4 servers up :\. Devs are probably trying to revive the game.

It's damn fun too so I dunno why it died off like that

Twig

Banned
Easy_D said:
Crazy Plain Sight sale, understandable though, last time I wanted to play there were 4 servers up :\. Devs are probably trying to revive the game.

It's damn fun too so I dunno why it died off like that
The answer is obvious: there are a ton of "damn fun" small indie multiplayer-exclusive games coming out all the time. People buy them and play them for a bit and then it's over. It happens time and time and time again. They simply don't have the marketing power or market share to maintain a loyal player base like Valve does with TF2. And even if they did, they'd be competing with the bigger games LIKE TF2. Not many people enjoy juggling multiple multiplayer games around. Sure, they might hop in every now and then for the Good Ol' Times That Were Had, but then they'll realize everyone has the same mindset and as a result no one ever hops in at the same time and then the servers are empty and they REMAIN empty.

It is sad but true.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to trade a Metro 2033 Steam key for a copy of Plainsight and a 10 dollar game? I got a key that don't i need because i already have Metro 2033.

Rufus

Turns out I still don't like Plain Sight. Maybe it's just me sucking a lot, but does anybody in this game feel actually in control of their actions?

Instro

Nice Plain Sight sale, I've been interested in that game for a long time but the price was never right until now.

Dead Rising 2 pre-ordered. DRM lameness aside, Dead Rising 2 for PC is too tempting to not pick-up for $20 less than consoles and most likely the superior version (considering how Capcom has been awesome with their PC releases as of late). I cannot wait to see if people mod the hell out of the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BobsRevenge said:
uhh... probably because it isn't worth the effort to save 50 cents.
It's the principle of the matter!

Got to inflate those 4 pack numbers so everything on Steam can come in a 4 pack.

Q8D3vil

Dead Rising 2 pre-ordered. DRM lameness aside, Dead Rising 2 for PC is too tempting to not pick-up for $20 less than consoles and most likely the superior version (
considering how Capcom has been awesome with their PC releases as of late
). I cannot wait to see if people mod the hell out of the game.
we will have to wait to see how optimized is the game on pc since it doesn't use the usuall capcom engine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ChoklitReign said:
What is it with gamers and Internet connection-based DRM? It's like the least malicious form of DRM imaginable. How can you lose your Internet connection these days?

I moved in January.

It took 15 days to get an internet connection in the house.

Volcynika

I wanted to get a 4 pack of Plain Sight for friends (I already own it), but it won't let me purchase the 4 pack as a gift, it'll only let me purchase individual copies as a gift. That kinda sucks.

MNC

TouchMyBox said:

So a trackball mouse is lower than a laptop nipple, but higher than using a numpad? Just making sure we got this heirarchy of laughable gaming input devices sorted out. Where do Wacom tablets fit in? Model airplane simulator controllers?

Wacom tablets have way too much lag. :) I've never connected a model airplane simulator controller, but I doubt they're any good for TF2 :lol

Seriously, because I'm moving around with my laptop alot throughout my house, I don't want to carry a mouse all the time, so quick gaming sessions with a touchpad have made me pretty skillfull.

Also, don't you dare diss trackball mouses.

graywolf323

ChoklitReign said:
What is it with gamers and Internet connection-based DRM? It's like the least malicious form of DRM imaginable. How can you lose your Internet connection these days?

you are joking right? :lol least malicious? that would be those one time activation checks

AcridMeat

Banned
Instro said:
Nice Plain Sight sale, I've been interested in that game for a long time but the price was never right until now.

Same, and I gifted a copy to my skeptical friend too. :D

I've had a lot of fun so far! I think it's great. The only problem is I can see it being frustrating if you have a good amount built up but you fail to score it in time.

coopolon

ChoklitReign said:

I strongly disagree. It's not as malicious as rootkits, but I think it's the second only to that. What happens if their servers aren't working (which has happened frequently), or if you want to play the game in a few years when they don't want to pay to support the servers anymore?

And internet connections go down. I have a comcast connection that I consider very stable and reliable, yet I still loose a connection every once in awhile. Sometimes it's my router, sometimes the modem, whatever, but it happens, and why should I not be able to play the game I paid money for during that time?

Hey guys, is there anyone from the UK who wants to gift me a preorder of Mafia 2? I want to get in on that free Mafia 1; and Mafia 2 is $79 US over here in Australia.

I can pay you instantly via paypal :)

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Okay so call me a sucker but i bought the Sam & Max season 3 just for the TF2 items and now am considering the Worms Reloaded deal too. Why do they have to tie these items in with games i'm really not that interested in!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Nolimit_SS said:
Hoped for TF2 discount but no, oh well waiting until september but itching to play it :)

There might be one around halloween like last year when they had it at 2.50 for about one day and released a new koth map.

Bluth54

Nolimit_SS said:
Hoped for TF2 discount but no, oh well waiting until september but itching to play it :)
You could buy a boxed copy for $10 from Amazon. Put the CD key that comes with in into steam and you're good to go.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh man just had such an epic game on Plain Sight. It was a deathmatch round that lasted I think 30 minutes, one guy was dominating me by a few hundred points for most of the game until ~11 minutes left where I was only about 100 points behind.

Long story short, I killed him, exploded and took over the lead with 9 seconds left in the round. :lol

Final score was something like 960 to 948

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom