• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
randomlyrossy said:
The Directors Cut has a hint system so there's no need for a guide! Apologies in advance as I'll probably in here pimping the game alot. :D

I'm curious to see the Directors Cut on PC, I've only played it on Wii and iPhone so I'm not sure how much better the graphics are than the original PC version.

I agree there's alot of random changes to the dialogue especially that really irked me, but still if it means more people get to experience the game I'm all for it.

The biggest change from the original to the director's cut of BROKEN SWORD, something that severely hurt the experience in my opinion, is the completely bewildering decision to take out the beautifully recorded live orchestral score and replace it with the shitty sounding synth demos that were created before they recorded the score that were never ever meant to be heard by the public. A real shame. I'll take the more emotionally involving score than updated graphics and a few nice, but unnecessary extra scenes any day.

poppabk said:
I play pretty much all my games with a touchpad.
That is the most fucked up thing I've read today.

I've done it a few times but it sucks . . . Hell, the touch pad is annoying just for using Windows even.

Twig

Banned
speculawyer said:
That is the most fucked up thing I've read today.

I've done it a few times but it sucks . . . Hell, the touch pad is annoying just for using Windows even.
AT LEAST HE ISN'T RUNNING AROUND TYPING ELLIPSES LIKE A MAD MAN ! ! !

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The M.O.B said:
:D :D :D :D

Capcom's track record for PC ports has been pretty good as of late, I'm hoping this takes full advantage of the superior race.
I see GFWL. I'm sucking it up regardless.

O.DOGG

The M.O.B said:
Capcom's track record for PC ports has been pretty good as of late, I'm hoping this takes full advantage of the superior race.

Not good enough. I'm still waiting for SSFIV on the PC.

poweld

I really don't understand what the recent rash of account phishes are aimed at doing. Are they just stealing accounts so they can have awkward conversations with other people's friends?

Also, that was pretty good, John.

MNC

Seriously, once you play a few times with touchpad, set your sensitivity high enough, it's almost even better than a trackball mouse.

This post is dead fucking serious.

Chris Tilton said:
The biggest change from the original to the director's cut of BROKEN SWORD, something that severely hurt the experience in my opinion, is the completely bewildering decision to take out the beautifully recorded live orchestral score and replace it with the shitty sounding synth demos that were created before they recorded the score that were never ever meant to be heard by the public. A real shame. I'll take the more emotionally involving score than updated graphics and a few nice, but unnecessary extra scenes any day.

I was not aware of this, I mostly just played through the beginning areas so I didn't really spending enough time with it to pick up on the fact the music was different. That's pretty lame.

Well I guess we can hope the orchestral score has been restored for the PC version, it's weird because I'm pretty sure they released the soundtrack when the DC came out too.

Rubezh

Anybody know if Dead Rising 2 will use the new GFWL system of binding keys to accounts instead of computers? I'm ultra paraniod about any kind of machine activations.

Javaman

I've been waiting for Mafia 2 to release so I could scoop up Mafia1 but it looks like they delayed the first one until the 28th :eek:P

jambo

Rubezh said:
Anybody know if Dead Rising 2 will use the new GFWL system of binding keys to accounts instead of computers? I'm ultra paraniod about any kind of machine activations.
Dead Rising 2 uses Microsoft SSA and ZDPP

Server Side Authentication

Server Side Authentication (SSA) is a free piracy protection service. SSA associates access keys with both a product and a Gamertag, binding a game to a LIVE account. Through this process, the game can confirm with the LIVE service that the user has a license for the game and, if not, can deny that user access to the LIVE service thereby limiting play to offline only. This is beneficial for single-player games as it enables you to tie any functionality you choose to the availability of the LIVE connection and potentially tie the entire game (including single-player and offline portions) to SSA. SSA requires an internet connection.

Zero Day Piracy Protection

Zero Day Piracy Protection (ZDPP) is a free service to help mitigate piracy prior to launch. Through a simple tool, the developer can encrypt their game, or portions of their game, such that they will be non-functional prior to the launch date. ZDPP requires one-time access to the internet to check whether the launch date has passed.

Ledsen

MNC said:
Seriously, once you play a few times with touchpad, set your sensitivity high enough, it's almost even better than a trackball mouse.

This post is dead fucking serious.

But a touchpad is carpal tunnel city, I stay far far away from that shit to avoid becoming a cripple before 30.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jambo said:
This is beneficial for single-player games as it enables you to tie any functionality you choose to the availability of the LIVE connection and potentially tie the entire game (including single-player and offline portions) to SSA. SSA requires an internet connection.
Hmmm this kinda sucks, wasn't aware of this. Anyone know of any games where you can't play single player without a connection to LIVE? I would say internet connection but we all know that having an internet connection and a connection to LIVE are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm thinking about getting the new Worms title, but I've never actually played any of the titles in the series. So I was wondering if there were any titles similar to Worms? Like Gunbound for instance? I've played that and liked it a lot and it somewhat looks similar to the Worms series.

crimsonheadGCN said:
I'm thinking about getting the new Worms title, but I've never actually played any of the titles in the series. So I was wondering if there were any titles similar to Worms? Like Gunbound for instance? I've played that and liked it a lot and it somewhat looks similar to the Worms series.

Have you ever played the flash game tanks? It's like a really fleshed out version of that.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you have a 360 there should be a demo of the couple of worms games they released for it. Dunno if any of those came out on ps3.

There's most likely demos of the PC games floating about too.

jambo said:
Dead Rising 2 uses Microsoft SSA and ZDPP
Is SSA like Ubisoft's "Lose all your progress with an internet hiccup" system, or is it a once-per-bootup thing, or...?

Unless it's super-archaic, I'm probably going to pick this up. Stal, you should too. :D

Nabs

crimsonheadGCN said:

check out hedgewars. it helped sell reloaded to a bunch of people i play with.

NIN90

It'll will be a sad day when R.U.S.E gets released and it finally leaves the "Specials" section.
Something inside me will die on that day.

epmode

Spwn said:
For a week. Like every indie-game that goes on sale.
It's true. I don't understand these microscopic independent devs who focus on multiplayer-only games. Sure, the game will be cheaper to develop without a real single-player mode... but you're just not going to build word of mouth when no one is playing your game.

BTW, Plain Sight is rough around the edges but I still had a *lot* of fun with it.

What is it with gamers and Internet connection-based DRM? It's like the least malicious form of DRM imaginable. How can you lose your Internet connection these days?

epmode

ChoklitReign said:
What is it with gamers and Internet connection-based DRM? It's like the least malicious form of DRM imaginable. How can you lose your Internet connection these days?
With the way some publishers like to shut down their servers when a game is no longer popular, it's a very legitimate concern. I only trust a handful of companies for this sort of thing.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I don't get how I'm supposed to gift Plain Sight keys. Is it the "Guest Pass" option? But that says "Guest Pass"!

Fucking magnets.

Edit: I guess it is!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Congratulations to your free Plain Sight copy, HK-47! I picked you randomly. Hope that's not a problem!

epmode said:
With the way some publishers like to shut down their servers when a game is no longer popular, it's a very legitimate concern. I only trust a handful of companies for this sort of thing.
I have yet to see a multiplayer game use this form of DRM. Why would single-player games need servers? Is that how it works?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
It's true. I don't understand these microscopic independent devs who focus on multiplayer-only games. Sure, the game will be cheaper to develop without a real single-player mode... but you're just not going to build word of mouth when no one is playing your game.

BTW, Plain Sight is rough around the edges but I still had a *lot* of fun with it.
You have to be small before you can be big. If they want to make multiplayer games as a company, putting out a game with definitely give them some experience and if it's decent (and sells decently) it could make them some money to make their next project through simple sales revenue, attracting investors, etc. Or maybe they're just looking to show some promise so a larger company can buy them out. You never know.

The point is that not every game that every company makes is necessarily intended to be a huge bestseller classic that lives on forever (though of course it is always a bonus if it does). Some can just be glorified proofs of concept.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ChoklitReign said:
Because it locks your game to times when you have an internet connection. What if you just want a quick game on your laptop while waiting at an airport, or if you end up at a hotel that charges for internet etc, or just have your internet go down due to a storm. One time activations etc are fine, but phoning home every time you want to play a single player game is going too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom