• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not getting Plain Sight because I don't want to play it now and it'll be dead later.

It's so sad when I pass for even just $2 but not sad enough to have pity. Sorry Plain Sight, you just didn't seem cool enough to even bother playing.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Dice said:
Not getting Plain Sight because I don't want to play it now and it'll be dead later.

It's so sad when I pass for even just $2 but not sad enough to have pity. Sorry Plain Sight, you just didn't seem cool enough to even bother playing.
Plain Sight is cooler than you.

BobsRevenge said:
Plain Sight is cooler than you.
ani.gif

Dice said:

Cheap Ass

I Feel the same way

Nabs said:
i still can't play plain sight. this better be a damn good game.

if it makes you feel better i can't play it even when im playing it. maybe im doing something wrong but the game seems centered on locking onto your enemy and then clickclickclickityclicking until someone manages to get lucky with their clicks. im going to give the tutorial another shot even though it only goes over the very basic fundamentals.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Freedom = $1.05 said:
if it makes you feel better i can't play it even when im playing it. maybe im doing something wrong but the game seems centered on locking onto your enemy and then clickclickclickityclicking until someone manages to get lucky with their clicks. im going to give the tutorial another shot even though it only goes over the very basic fundamentals.
Click 'n hold until your reticule turns red => DEATH
Get better at it, buy updates and use 'em, win!

I bought worms for the TF2 items ;( but it says preorder now and get 24 hour access. well. game is out tomorrow and I want to play NOW!! wtf Please don't tell me I have to wait 2 more hours.

mitheor

DMPrince said:
I bought worms for the TF2 items ;( but it says preorder now and get 24 hour access. well. game is out tomorrow and I want to play NOW!! wtf Please don't tell me I have to wait 2 more hours.

Game´ll be unlocked in 30m.

vid

DMPrince said:
Don't people do that? Sam & Max Items were cool too

I'm still full of rage that I missed the Sam & Max items. I keep hoping that they'll make them available to people who purchase the full season later on, but it seems like that's not likely to happen.

I want that Max hat :(

Nabs

DMPrince said:
No access to Worms. Should really not to get so excited for early access. but I am guaranteed at last for the hat. :lol.
Valve told T17 they'd push the button sometime within the hour. So, expect it tomorrow.

LovingSteam said:
the second Sega Classics pack should be added soon. Nothing great IMO.

At least this time, the whole package will be reasonably price. They lowered the price of the last package to $14.99 and this one will probably start at around the same price.

Twig

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
It looks like there is a new trend in gaming, hats sell games. Brilliant! This gives money hats a whole other meaning.
It's kind of pushing me over the edge, as I wanted Worms anyway but had decided to hold off for a bit. Might bite now. Maybe.

Riptwo

Can anyone tell me what time Mafia 2 released on Steam? I attempted to cancel my preorder on Monday, August 23rd at about 11:45AM MST, and Steam's support agent is telling me that the game was already released (which I'm fairly certain is false). Besides, didn't all marketing materials point to August 24th as the release date?

I'd just call my credit card company rather than dealing with slow email support tickets (which is a strangely obtuse method of managing preorders), but I'm pretty sure that I'd lose access to all of my games if I used this method of resolving the problem.

Riptwo said:
Can anyone tell me what time Mafia 2 released on Steam? I attempted to cancel my preorder on Monday, August 23rd at about 11:45AM MST, and Steam's support agent is telling me that the game was already released (which I'm fairly certain is false). Besides, didn't all marketing materials point to August 24th as the release date?

I'd just call my credit card company rather than dealing with slow email support tickets (which is a strangely obtuse method of managing preorders), but I'm pretty sure that I'd lose access to all of my games if I used this method of resolving the problem.

Don't do that. They'll ban your account if you do a chargeback.

Riptwo

brain_stew said:
Don't do that. They'll ban your account if you do a chargeback.

That's what I figured. It's too bad that Steam doesn't have an iTunes-like preorder system, where you can simply cancel your preorder yourself rather than e-mailing support and seeing if they feel like cooperating with you.

My computer melted down, GAF. The only way to recover is a fresh Windows 7 x64 reinstall.

How do I backup my steam games that are installed, so that I do not have to go and reinstall them all. I have an external HDD with plenty of space for everything. I will worry about independent save file locations, I just need to know what to do aside from that.

Please help, I'm posting from a different computer as mine can't even access the internet right now. <_<

Riptwo said:

Uhh... Mafia II was out monday... Is it not in your country? Timezones and such.

But yeah, as brain stew said, don't call your CC company if you like your steam account.

Cuban Legend said:
My computer melted down, GAF. The only way to recover is a fresh Windows 7 x64 reinstall.

How do I backup my steam games that are installed, so that I do not have to go and reinstall them all. I have an external HDD with plenty of space for everything. I will worry about independent save file locations, I just need to know what to do aside from that.

Please help, I'm posting from a different computer as mine can't even access the internet right now. <_<

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps

copy that folder to your external drive.

format your machine, install steam and log in. Close steam, go and delete the steamapps folder it just generated for you and replace it with your backed up steamapps folder.

Your games will all say they need to be updated, just "resume download" on all of them and in a few minutes you're back up and running.

Cuban Legend said:

Just copy the Steamapps folder over.

Then on your new PC install Steam. Quit out, copy the steamapps folder back over, boot up Steam and it'll do all its magic for you.

Edit: Beaten!

Riptwo

TouchMyBox said:
Uhh... Mafia II was out monday... Is it not in your country? Timezones and such.

But yeah, as brain stew said, don't call your CC company if you like your steam account.

What time on Monday was it released? Even if the game was released on Monday the 23rd, my preorder cancellation request happened approximately 10 hours prior to its actual release (if the game was released at around 10PM MST, as I'm assuming). Yeah, that's cutting it a little close, but it isn't like they have a cutoff for physically shipping the game to me.

TouchMyBox said:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps

copy that folder to your external drive.

format your machine, install steam and log in. Close steam, go and delete the steamapps folder it just generated for you and replace it with your backed up steamapps folder.

Your games will all say they need to be updated, just "resume download" on all of them and in a few minutes you're back up and running.
brain_stew said:
Just copy the Steamapps folder over.

Then on your new PC install Steam. Quit out, copy the steamapps folder back over, boot up Steam and it'll do all its magic for you.

Edit: Beaten!
Thanks to both of you, the help is greatly appreciated. Holy Jebus, I can't believe this is really that easy. Good Lord. And here I was about to have a mental breakdown.

I will come back and post when all is done, from my new install no less! :D

Cuban Legend said:
Thanks to both of you, the help is greatly appreciated. Holy Jebus, I can't believe this is really that easy. Good Lord. And here I was about to have a mental breakdown.

I will come back and post when all is done, from my new install no less! :D

If you think that's easy, just wait until you discover that the ultimate steam set-up is to have your steamapps folder on it's own dedicated drive, and then everytime you have to format your computer, you can just create a directory junction linking it to the steam folder in your program files. It's a big part of the reason why I'm so hesitant to buy games that aren't on steam. Steam has taken what used to take me more than an entire day in re-installing all my frequently played games into a matter of typing in a single command into my cmd terminal.

Hey folks, what exactly is the deal with the TAGES DRM that Dawn of Discovery has? I'm ok with the limited activations considering the price I paid, but is this going to mess up my system in anyway? And can I clear it off when I'm done with the game?

I actually picked up a boxed copy, but I know the Steam version has the same DRM so I figured that this would be the best spot to ask. As a side note the Half Price Books stores around here in WA are really good spots to pick up some cheap PC games. I nabbed Dawn of Discovery there for $6 and I saw some other stuff like Europa Universalis III: Complete for $6 as well and Penumbra Gold Edition for $4 both all shrinkwrapped and new. Game stores must have some kinda deal with Half Price to dump old stock as specific game seem to flood in there in big chunks from time to time.

I picked up Plain Sight and enjoying it so far, although the locking on and camera seem a little messily implemented. I'd been interested in trying it for a while, but it's hard to justify paying full price for these indie multiplayer games when the communities are so small and it's hard to find populated servers after the initial surge of release/weekend sales. I'm gonna try and get my money's worth out of it this week at least.

Alright dawgs, D2D is offering a pre-school sale that is basically $10 off all purchases over $50.

All you have to do is enter "Schoolsucks" in the coupon code. Why post in this thread? Because Fallout: New Vegas, Brink and Civ 5 are all Steam-required games judging by their site. So basically you'll be buying and downloading the Steam version (or so I've heard).

thefil

Discotheque said:
Alright dawgs, D2D is offering a pre-school sale that is basically $10 off all purchases over $50.

All you have to do is enter "Schoolsucks" in the coupon code. Why post in this thread? Because Fallout: New Vegas, Brink and Civ 5 are all Steam-required games judging by their site. So basically you'll be buying and downloading the Steam version (or so I've heard).

Just did this for Civ V. It worked gloriously, $40 on day 1. :D Thanks [wo]man.

thefil said:
Just did this for Civ V. It worked gloriously, $40 on day 1. :D Thanks [wo]man.

Wait, so it worked on steam then right? No offense to anybody here but I was waiting for somebody to take the bullet before I went in :lol

thefil

Discotheque said:
Wait, so it worked on steam then right? No offense to anybody here but I was waiting for somebody to take the bullet before I went in :lol

Oh, I didn't get the key yet.

But it's a Steamworks game, so the DRM works through Steam, so [I'm 99% sure] that it ends up living just like a Steam game. This is definitely the case for previous ones like DoW2 and MW2.

That sounds good enough for me. I just needed some kind of reassurance. I'll pick up New Vegas later today then.

Will wait on Civ V for a bit. And I don't know about Brink just yet.

I bought a Plain Sight four pack and I have one share left over if someone wants to PayPal me $1.50. Add me on Steam if you're interested.

Nabs

having fun with worms. not having fun with plain sight. hopefully it'll be better when i play with people on my friends list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom