• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
FatBaby said:
Can some one explain how Internet Explorer is not 100%?

Isn't it on EVERY copy of Windows? Don't you NEED to have it installed? I don't get it.
I think it only counts at steam if you've run it once. So the "quick install" is done and such. Same goes for the Media Player.

Minsc

Gold Member
biocat said:
An i7 has 8 logical cores. Does that count?

For about a 10-20% improvement over not having them.

Metro 2033 claimed it scaled linearly across CPU cores, and benches came out that show it was a false claim, the game only benefits for up to 2 cores.

I'm curious to see how the framerate benches across cores. Hopefully one of the big hardware sites will post a cpu chart comparison with 1,2,3,4,4(+4 virtual), 6, 6(+6 virtual), 8, and 8+

crimsonheadGCN said:
Broken Sword Director's Cut will most likely be on Steam this week.

Hell fucking yes!

I hope it's not too expensive cause I'm going to be tempted to gift it to a ton of people, it's one of my favourite games ever.

epmode

How about the original release? I'd rather play that one anyway.

(I already grabbed a DVD version of it so I don't care THAT much. But still!)

Rubezh

Finally. I loved Broken Sword on the PS1. I think I'm going to need a guide to get past that Irish pub level again though. :lol

Zizbuka

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Valve is awesome. My account has been hijacked for a week and they haven't even responded even though I've sent them all the email confirmations of buying their games for over 2 years from the email address I set my username up with. Good stuff. This is only the 3rd time it's happened...

Maybe it's your promiscuous surfing habits? You really should use protection, you never know where your partners have been. :D

randomwab

randomlyrossy said:
Hell fucking yes!

I hope it's not too expensive cause I'm going to be tempted to gift it to a ton of people, it's one of my favourite games ever.

You're alright, Rossy. Probably the single most influential game I've ever played, made me realise when I was a kid that videogames could be more than just Sonic or Mario. Still one of my top five favourite games to this day.

Pity about the Director's Cut though. I'm just playing through it for the first time this week on my iPhone (despite picking it up for Wii and DS already). Pretty pointless changes, all for the worse.

AS I PICKED MYSELF UP I WAS REALLY ANGRY ONE MINUTE I'M ON VACATION NEXT MINUTE SOME CLOWN'S BLOWN ME UP I KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO I WAS GOING TO FIND THAT CLOWN AND BRING HIM TO JUSTICE BECAUSE JUSTICE MATTERS JUSTICE IS UP THERE WITH LIBERTY AND EQUALITY AND FRATERNITY

Rubezh said:
Finally. I loved Broken Sword on the PS1. I think I'm going to need a guide to get past that Irish pub level again though. :lol

The Directors Cut has a hint system so there's no need for a guide! Apologies in advance as I'll probably in here pimping the game alot. :D

I'm curious to see the Directors Cut on PC, I've only played it on Wii and iPhone so I'm not sure how much better the graphics are than the original PC version.

randomwab said:
You're alright, Rossy. Probably the single most influential game I've ever played, made me realise when I was a kid that videogames could be more than just Sonic or Mario. Still one of my top five favourite games to this day.

Pity about the Director's Cut though. I'm just playing through it for the first time this week on my iPhone (despite picking it up for Wii and DS already). Pretty pointless changes, all for the worse.

AS I PICKED MYSELF UP I WAS REALLY ANGRY ONE MINUTE I'M ON VACATION NEXT MINUTE SOME CLOWN'S BLOWN ME UP I KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO I WAS GOING TO FIND THAT CLOWN AND BRING HIM TO JUSTICE BECAUSE JUSTICE MATTERS JUSTICE IS UP THERE WITH LIBERTY AND EQUALITY AND FRATERNITY

Dude that's totally my experience too, I was blown away by the fact a video game could tell a really cool and interesting story with some hilarious and brilliant characters. I spent literally years hunting down the PS1 version (the only one I knew existed at the time) after playing it on my Demo 1 that came with my console. Love it.

I agree there's alot of random changes to the dialogue especially that really irked me, but still if it means more people get to experience the game I'm all for it.

randomwab

randomlyrossy said:
I agree there's alot of random changes to the dialogue especially that really irked me, but still if it means more people get to experience the game I'm all for it.

Can't really argue with that. And the more versions with voice acting, the better. The GBA and DS versions just weren't right without voices. I'll be buying it again....fourth time owning the Director's Cut, eighth time over all.

Zizbuka said:
Maybe it's your promiscuous surfing habits? You really should use protection, you never know where your partners have been. :D

Exactly, and change your password often. I've never had my steam account hijacked, and I use Steam daily, having bought over a grand worth of stuff.

randomwab

Mr_Zombie said:
What are the changes in DC version? Besides the additional stuff for Nico?

A couple of new puzzles for George at parts, some altered lines of dialogue and some new lines too, and updated graphics at parts. It might not sound like much, but some of the minor changes just make a difference for the worse.

Rubezh

randomwab said:
A couple of new puzzles for George at parts, some altered lines of dialogue and some new lines too, and updated graphics at parts. It might not sound like much, but some of the minor changes just make a difference for the worse.

Are we talking about higher resolution backgrounds, smoother edges, redone art etc. or the same sprites used in the original version? I must admit I haven't played BS2 since I bought it in the Steam sale but I would imagine the outdated assets would look quite bad on a modern system.

randomwab

Rubezh said:
Are we talking about higher resolution backgrounds, smoother edges, redone art etc. or the same sprites used in the original version? I must admit I haven't played BS2 since I bought it in the Steam sale but I would imagine the outdated assets would look quite bad on a modern system.

From what I've seen with the Wii/iPhone/iPad versions, the only higher res stuff is the new content like the Nico stuff and the portraits. The newly recorded lines are also slightly higher quality, so much so that you can hear a noticeable rise and dip in quality between old and new lines. It actually became quite jarring for me on the Wii.

Rubezh said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the backgrounds are going to be a bit higher res than they were before and obviously they no longer need to compress them and such. We'll probably just need to wait and see though as this is no doubt slightly different to the other versions.

Heh, I finished the DS version a few weeks ago. Overall I liked it but after hearing it was one of the best adventures ever made, it didn't really live up to that. I got confused by all the secondary characters you meet and trying to understand their roles, and some of the puzzles solutions were just obtuse.

I have to say, I'm very encouraged by these makers of classic adventure games using DD stores to repackage them for new audiences and systems. Revolution, Cyan, Lucasarts, Sierra. Now if only they could make new games...

faceless007 said:
Heh, I finished the DS version a few weeks ago. Overall I liked it but after hearing it was one of the best adventures ever made, it didn't really live up to that. I got confused by all the secondary characters you meet and trying to understand their roles, and some of the puzzles solutions were just obtuse.

I have to say, I'm very encouraged by these makers of classic adventure games using DD stores to repackage them for new audiences and systems. Revolution, Cyan, Lucasarts, Sierra. Now if only they could make new games...

Voice acting really helps alot, it brings far more to the characters. It's a real shame Ubisoft wouldn't shell out for the larger cart size so it could have the voice over.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ATTN: Developers

If you're going to lock the zooming function to the mouse's scroll wheel, PLEASE make sure you add support for the scroll region of the laptop touchpad. Plenty of devs do, so there's no excuse.

Fucking Numen, R.U.S.E, and Dragon Age, among others.

K.Jack said:

If you're going to lock the zooming function to the mouse's scroll wheel, PLEASE make sure you add support for the scroll region of the laptop touchpad. Plenty of devs do, so there's no excuse.

I can't even begin to imagine playing a game like R.U.S.E or Dragon Age with a touchpad. Why not just get a small, portable USB mouse?

K.Jack said:

They're not reading this thread. Why don't you e.mail them?

Cool, haven't played Broken Sword in a long time. If it's appropriately priced I'll buy it, don't think I ever got past the Hospital.
randomwab said:
Oh.. lame. Will wait for further impressions.

dLMN8R

Just a thought, it seems like the touch pad scroll area would be controlled by the hardware driver and thus automatically converted to a regular scroll wheel event that the game would pick up, shouldn't it? From the game's perspective, it seems like if the touch pad driver is working correctly, then a touch pad scroll area would look identical to a scroll wheel event.

Question.

Today, all of my steam game icons on my desktop show up like an unsupported file. If I click on them they launch into the game like normal, but the unsupported file icon looks like ass. Anyway to change them back to their regular icon?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Minsc said:
Metro 2033 claimed it scaled linearly across CPU cores, and benches came out that show it was a false claim, the game only benefits for up to 2 cores.
:lol

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Question.

Today, all of my steam game icons on my desktop show up like an unsupported file. If I click on them they launch into the game like normal, but the unsupported file icon looks like ass. Anyway to change them back to their regular icon?

Try right-clicking the games in your Steam library and selecting Create Desktop Shortcut.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Solstice said:
I can't even begin to imagine playing a game like R.U.S.E or Dragon Age with a touchpad. Why not just get a small, portable USB mouse?
I play pretty much all my games with a touchpad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
poppabk said:
I play pretty much all my games with a touchpad.

Alright so next question is: Why do you hate yourself? Did you torture your puppy as a child and are now trying to make up for it with self flagellation?

poppabk

Sinatar said:
Alright so next question is: Why do you hate yourself? Did you torture your puppy as a child and are now trying to make up for it with self flagellation?
I use my laptop like an oversized portable.
Playing with a touchpad gets easier with practice, its still better than a controller for most things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
poppabk said:
I use my laptop like an oversized portable.
Playing with a touchpad gets easier with practice, its still better than a controller for most things.

Yep. That's how I play a lot of games now. The only thing you really miss are the high dpi-like sweeping movements. Great for sniping though.

poppabk

firehawk12 said:
Yep. That's how I play a lot of games now. The only thing you really miss are the high dpi-like sweeping movements. Great for sniping though.
The other issue is if your clicking finger hits the pad and you lift the other finger - instant massive disorienting shift in viewpoint.

John

Never tell your password to anyone.
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: [youtube link] be warned only look if ur not doign anything
John: ah, you got your account stolen too?
John: shame
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: lol
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: i liek the conclusion u made
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: from that
John: yep
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: psst, it did
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: >.>
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: <.<
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: dont tell any1
John: ambiguous message + link = account robbers
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: lol its youtube
John: i'm sure
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: the ambigious message is so no one gets pissed at me
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: if i linked u and then sent a msg
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: woudl that still count?
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: and if u even bothered with the vid, a frend sent me that
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: and yah, he digs eaglemen with eyes for nipples doing the chicken dance
John: what % do you set your sniper zoomed sensitivity to?
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: random qestion
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: but 100%
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: i found a good way to balance it
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: it took some gettign used to
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: but it works really well
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: even with lag
John: your diction isn't even anything like Delta's
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: my dick wat?
John: this is sad.
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: u watchign a sad movie bro?
John: watchign
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: really
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: cuz i do that kidna thign al lthe time
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: its cuz i type to fast for my own good
John: type to fast
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: ur liek my clan leader
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: pointing out my spelling errawrs
John: now that couldn't have even been an accident
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: 2 things, 1 i coudl care less in IM, i use grammar pucntion yadda yadda in forums or posts, but never IM's and 2 r u havign trouble udnerstandign me
John: udnerstandign

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
John said:
Never tell your password to anyone.
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: [youtube link] be warned only look if ur not doign anything
John: ah, you got your account stolen too?
John: shame
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: lol
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: i liek the conclusion u made
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: from that
John: yep
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: psst, it did
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: >.>
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: <.<
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: dont tell any1
John: ambiguous message + link = account robbers
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: lol its youtube
John: i'm sure
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: the ambigious message is so no one gets pissed at me
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: if i linked u and then sent a msg
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: woudl that still count?
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: and if u even bothered with the vid, a frend sent me that
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: and yah, he digs eaglemen with eyes for nipples doing the chicken dance
John: what % do you set your sniper zoomed sensitivity to?
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: random qestion
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: but 100%
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: i found a good way to balance it
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: it took some gettign used to
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: but it works really well
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: even with lag
John: your diction isn't even anything like Delta's
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: my dick wat?
John: this is sad.
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: u watchign a sad movie bro?
John: watchign
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: really
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: cuz i do that kidna thign al lthe time
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: its cuz i type to fast for my own good
John: type to fast
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: ur liek my clan leader
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: pointing out my spelling errawrs
John: now that couldn't have even been an accident
[BONG] Thè €pîc Ðeltá: 2 things, 1 i coudl care less in IM, i use grammar pucntion yadda yadda in forums or posts, but never IM's and 2 r u havign trouble udnerstandign me
John: udnerstandign

This is good

Forkball

So I recently got a new computer that actually has some power to it. I've been looking around Steam for some titles and it's a bit overwhelming and I don't want to spend a lot of money right now. Any recommendations for games in the $5 or $10 sections?

Forkball said:
So I recently got a new computer that actually has some power to it. I've been looking around Steam for some titles and it's a bit overwhelming and I don't want to spend a lot of money right now. Any recommendations for games in the $5 or $10 sections?

Shatter

The Witcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom