• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
epmode said:
Yeah, EA's Steam support has been spotty at best.

It's clearly a power play of some sort and I don't like it one bit. ..But at least there are reasonable alternatives.

didnt realize things were like that between ea and steam...i mean they offer me and me2. at any rate guess ill have to buy from d2d if it comes down to that

Archie said:
Yup. The move is both brilliant (get more attention for GoG) and ballsy (the game is going to be pirated to high heaven and back due to the lack of DRM).

If the game breaks new records for piracy, I will extremely disappointed in pc gamers. We always bitch about how DRM is one of the main causes of piracy, and when finally a respected developer listens to the complaints and addresses them, how are they going to get rewarded?

I'll do my part by ordering it from GOG so that they can maximize the amount of money they will get from me.

stuminus3

I think I will give GOG my monies. It occurs to me that even though there's considerably more likelihood that I'll wake up one day and GOG will be going down in flames than there is of Steam ever going away, at least my GOG installers will still work perfectly, whereas there's no guarantee with Steam because no matter what Steam itself is still DRM and nobody knows what will happen if for some crazy reason it bombs.

I'm pretty sure the Witcher 2 installer file(s) will be much, much larger than my installer for Duke 3D though. :lol

I used to prefer getting games on Steam if they were on both services just for the sake of having them on Steam, but GOG being completely free from the "DRM monster" is just too good a selling point for me these days.

Pirates will be pirates regardless. Fuck 'em.

EDIT: motherfucker, this is not the GOG thread. Oh well, it applies just the same. Sorry! :lol

Ledsen

Archie said:
Yup. The move is both brilliant (get more attention for GoG) and ballsy (the game is going to be pirated to high heaven and back due to the lack of DRM).

It's not like pirating games with DRM is any harder really... all it takes in most cases is copying an .exe from one directory to another. I don't think there'll be much of a difference. People who don't want to pay will pirate it, people who do will buy it.

Ledsen said:
It's not like pirating games with DRM is any harder really... all it takes in most cases is copying an .exe from one directory to another. I don't think there'll be much of a difference. People who don't want to pay will pirate it, people who do will buy it.
There's this, and as we argue every single time the piracy debate comes up, the importance of the piracy rate pales in comparison to the importance of copies actually sold. Even with the good-will generating mechanism of no DRM, people will pirate the game. There might even be more illegally obtained copies out there just due to people (even legitimate consumers) being able to do nothing more than copy the installer and pass it along. However, it's all worth it if it generates some day one buzz. We shall see.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to say that i got Zombie Driver on the holiday sale, sure it's pretty mindless but running over zombies and blowing them in the campaign felt pretty damn good. This was all before the game got patched with a bunch of new modes so if you ask me 5 bucks seems like a pretty good price for the game.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
At least CD Projekt Red knows how to make a digital premium edition. You get Making of, soundtrack, map, game guide, manual, pamplet, and even a papercraft. That's more than any other digital <insert buzz word> edition i think i've ever bought.

Just looked and if you get it from GoG you also get one free game and a pdf artbook.

Steam Client Update - November 18, 2010

Steam
  • Fixed Steam Cloud showing as endlessly syncing for some games
  • Fixed a case where Steamworks matchmaking could lose some keys set in the lobby, when running against the new matchmaking server
  • Fixed an issue where some windows could appear briefly before they were ready to be shown
  • Fixed game download stalling for some users when downloading games with DLC
  • Windows: Fixed Steam client update stalling for some users with HSDPA modems
  • Windows: Fixed compatibility for in-game overlay and games calling GetRawInputBuffer
  • Windows: Improved performance of .dmp file writing on client asserts/crashes
  • OSX: Improved retail game install to minimize amount of game data that needs to be downloaded after initial install
  • OSX: Fixed badge count listed as ‘1’ after auto-joining a server using the server browser

Salaadin

zombieshavebrains said:
At least CD Projekt Red knows how to make a digital premium edition. You get Making of, soundtrack, map, game guide, manual, pamplet, and even a papercraft. That's more than any other digital <insert buzz word> edition i think i've ever bought.

Just looked and if you get it from GoG you also get one free game and a pdf artbook.

Price wise, its better than a lot of physical LEs too. I cant believe all that is only costing me 45 bucks.
Theyre after release support for The Witcher was great too from what I heard. Its kinda why I want to support them as much as possible.

rogue74

Still waiting for the original Witcher to go on sale on Steam. Really want to play it. Hopefully this news means we will see a deal soon.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Damn. I was ready to be on board for the GOG release of Witcher 2, but steam cloud support really tips me towards getting it on Steam.

LovingSteam said:
Red Orchestra 2 is on coming soon list.

All over my face.

I can't load steampowered.com properly at the moment, but it looks like they have a pre-order (or is it out?) page for Flight Control HD.

...nice.

Edit: It says it released today, so yeah, get it when steam actually works!

Twig

Banned
rogue74 said:
Still waiting for the original Witcher to go on sale on Steam. Really want to play it. Hopefully this news means we will see a deal soon.
So buy it... If you really want to play a game, then it's worth the asking price. Stop waiting and just buy it.

At least you're not as bad as those Bloodlines kids, though. "I've been waiting for this game to go on sale for two years!!!!!!!!!!!"

BioHazard

TouchMyBox said:
All over my face.

I can't load steampowered.com properly at the moment, but it looks like they have a pre-order (or is it out?) page for Flight Control HD.

...nice.

Edit: It says it released today, so yeah, get it when steam actually works!
Yep, just bought it :D

Is there something I'm missing regarding categories?

I've set them more than once on my laptop, then on my PC and both have not saved. My games now have no categories. Is there a save button I'm supposed to hit after categorizing?

rogue74

Twig said:
So buy it... If you really want to play a game, then it's worth the asking price. Stop waiting and just buy it.

At least you're not as bad as those Bloodlines kids, though. "I've been waiting for this game to go on sale for two years!!!!!!!!!!!"

I hear what you are saying.

Steam was one of the first things I installed in my new rig. I checked out this thread and saw many people complaining about a game they just bought getting a huge discount a few days later. Given that Witcher 2 isn't too far off and pre-orders are happening now, I don't think it is illogical to expect a sale soon. The holidays are also around the corner...

Volcynika

rogue74 said:

It's been on sale multiple times. Where have you been?

:p

(Wait for the holiday sale)

Twig

Banned
rogue74 said:
I hear what you are saying.

Steam was one of the first things I installed in my new rig. I checked out this thread and saw many people complaining about a game they just bought getting a huge discount a few days later. Given that Witcher 2 isn't too far off and pre-orders are happening now, I don't think it is illogical to expect a sale soon. The holidays are also around the corner...
I mean I would probably wait until the holiday sale, too, at this point. It's just kind of annoying seeing "I'll wait for a sale" every five posts. U:

Even moreso when it's a brand new game. (Obviously The Witcher is not brand new, but I've already seen some posts like that for its sequel.)

Volcynika

Twig said:
I mean I would probably wait until the holiday sale, too, at this point. It's just kind of annoying seeing "I'll wait for a sale" every five posts. U:

Even moreso when it's a brand new game. (Obviously The Witcher is not brand new, but I've already seen some posts like that for its sequel.)

I'll wait for Episode 3 to go on sale before I get it.

Archie said:
Well it's their own service, I don't understand why they wouldn't...

And everything is pirated as much as it's popular whether or not it has DRM.

rogue74

Twig said:

I saw those posts too. They made me laugh because I assumed they were tongue-in-cheek.

pilonv1

Joe Molotov said:
Some guy was asking if Dead Rising 2 was going be on sale like a page back, I'm pretty sure he was serious.

In his defense, it was released around the same time that F1 2010 went on sale and it had a 33% off weekend. It was the last weekend of the Championship but that's still a sale within 2 months.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah Vampire bitching is worse than bitching about anything else. FUCKING SAVE A NICKEL A DAY AND YOU WILL HAVE THE GAME IN LESS THAN THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU HAVE WAITED FOR THE SALE NOW.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Stallion Free said:
Yeah Vampire bitching is worse than bitching about anything else. FUCKING SAVE A NICKEL A DAY AND YOU WILL HAVE THE GAME IN LESS THAN THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU HAVE WAITED FOR THE SALE NOW.

But that leaves time for backlog clearing :D

Shaneus

Joe Molotov said:
Some guy was asking if Dead Rising 2 was going be on sale like a page back, I'm pretty sure he was serious.
Yeah, was me and yeah, I was using F1 as a basis for comparison. So nyer.

Mrbob

Heh, the original Witcher is now in the steam top 10!

Is your credit card still charged right away with Steam pre orders? It is the one thing I don't like about pre ordering on Steam and normally won't until a day or two before release. Never knew how Valve got away with this. Charging up front the total amount and giving the end user nothing in return until release.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stallion Free said:
You go ahead and enjoy your game, I will luxuriate in a life filled with the finest boxes of cereal imaginable.
NB I have no interest in Vampire Masquerades

TheExodu5

Banned
Archie said:
It'll be pirated just as much as a game with DRM. Pirates don't give a shot about DRM, seeing as how pirated versions are DRM free.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
It'll be pirated just as much as a game with DRM. Pirates don't give a shot about DRM, seeing as how pirated versions are DRM free.
Yeah, that was a weird conclusion, Archie. U:

DRM only AT BEST prevents day zero piracy (Steam, for example), but once it's cracked, it's cracked, and the DRM is no more.

First Zen Bound 2, then Flight Control HD... Is this the start of a trend of iOS games being ported to Steam, and if so, how far will it continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom