• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

It's now GAF's mission to find out officially WTF is wrong with EA in regards to Steam. It's stupid and inconsistent to the point where it's keeping me awake at night.

While we're at it we should find out why EA haven't yet partnered up with GOG. They've got an absolute goldmine of a classics catalogue that would be perfect for that service.

Amneisac

stuminus3 said:
It's now GAF's mission to find out officially WTF is wrong with EA in regards to Steam. It's stupid and inconsistent to the point where it's keeping me awake at night.

While we're at it we should find out why EA haven't yet partnered up with GOG. They've got an absolute goldmine of a classics catalogue that would be perfect for that service.

I can only imagine they're cooking up a way to make all that available directly from their own DD so they make more money.

Salaadin

Would you guys say that the odds for Tomb Raider Underworld hitting 5 bucks during the black friday sale are relatively high? Ive had my eye on it for a while.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Salaadin said:
Would you guys say that the odds for Tomb Raider Underworld hitting 5 bucks during the black friday sale are relatively high? Ive had my eye on it for a while.
No way, it's still $30.

I'm hoping for DA:O Ultimate Edition %50 off for Christmas, since Black Friday seems a bit soon to do that.

stuminus3 said:

1) There is some other cloud-based gaming service that they had a deal with I believe (don't remember the name).
2) Perhaps they are trying to use their muscle to negotiate a better deal for themselves?

Smash88

Banned
Dice said:
No way, it's still $30.

I'm hoping for DA:O Ultimate Edition %50 off for Christmas, since Black Friday seems a bit soon to do that.

Steam doesn't have a Black Friday sale.... They only have Christmas, Summer, Halloween sales for now...

Unless there was some sort of sale last year for Black Friday that I am missing.

Volcynika

Smash88 said:
Steam doesn't have a Black Friday sale.... They only have Christmas, Summer, Halloween sales for now...

They did have an early holiday sale last year that was around the time of Black Friday. Week of daily deals and such.

Lime

Salaadin said:

Not very good. Legend and Anniversary are still expensive to this day, and the last Tomb Raider sale wasn't very good, imo.

Salaadin

Seller on amazon has TR:U for 4.83 bucks + 4.00 shipping. I guess Ill buy the physical copy.

Smash88 said:

Unless there was some sort of sale last year for Black Friday that I am missing.

Last black friday was my introduction to Steams greatness. I dont remember if the sale was ON black friday..just that it was around black friday and it was awesome.

Smash88

Banned
Volcynika said:
They did have an early holiday sale last year that was around the time of Black Friday. Week of daily deals and such.

Hmmm, must of missed it, good stuff. Although, I'm guessing there will be better deals during Christmas.

Man last year, those glorious 2-3 weeks. It was like a sale heaven.

Amneisac said:
I can only imagine they're cooking up a way to make all that available directly from their own DD so they make more money.

Ugh, I sincerely hope not. That thought honestly never crossed my mind at it's making me very sad thinking about it. Can't wait to play System Shock 1 with SecuROM, limited installs, or whatever retarded DRM they're using now :/

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Salaadin said:
I picked it up for $7.49 last year on a weekend deal, so the odds are fairly good.

Salaadin

poppabk said:
I picked it up for $7.49 last year on a weekend deal, so the odds are fairly good.

Shit, I wouldve bought it at 7.49 too. I just paid 8 bucks for the physical copy. Oh well, not much I can do about it now :lol

Twig

Banned
Smash88 said:
Hmmm, must of missed it, good stuff. Although, I'm guessing there will be better deals during Christmas.

Man last year, those glorious 2-3 weeks. It was like a sale heaven.
must of?

must of?!

MUST OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nakazato

im getting this error from steam when i try to validate tf2 on my mac its says the servers are busy or some shit like that any one know a work around to this ??

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Salaadin said:
Shit, I wouldve bought it at 7.49 too. I just paid 8 bucks for the physical copy. Oh well, not much I can do about it now :lol
Well there are no guarantees that it will go on sale at all, some games for whatever reason only go on sale once in a blue moon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
stuminus3 said:
My wife had those. Looked painful. I'm not sure it helped with her spelling.
Every single time I've seen contractions mentioned, or mentioned them myself, this joke has been said. I wonder why.

Salaadin

poppabk said:
Well there are no guarantees that it will go on sale at all, some games for whatever reason only go on sale once in a blue moon.

Yeah. Its not a huge deal other than that I prefer digital anymore thanks to steam. Too bad it wasnt steamworks.

I guess its a few GBs worth of bandwidth that I wont have to worry about next week :D

Kritz

Banned
I'm thinking of grabbing Zombie Driver. It looks kinda fun for 5 dollerydoos.

Buuut I don't think I can when I still haven't finished VVVVVV or Metro 2033 or Fable III or Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption or Assassin's Creed 2... oh my god and the xmas sales are nearing where I will buy even more games I will never finish! D:

nyong

Banned
What the hell do they mean no Need for Speed on Steam? I'm sure as hell not buying it from EA's crappy service, and I'm done purchasing retail PC. Guess I'll rent it for my buddy's 360.

They had better not pull this crap with Dragon-Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

DigiMish

Zombie Driver is more about strategy than action - the missions consist of you carefully navigating the environment, rescuing survivors - this isn't an arcade shoot-em-up experience.

nyong said:
What the hell do they mean no Need for Speed on Steam? I'm sure as hell not buying it from EA's crappy service, and I'm done purchasing retail PC. Guess I'll rent it for my buddy's 360.

They had better not pull this crap with Dragon-Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

they wouldnt freakin dare

stuminus3

Zombie Driver is for people who loved the original GTA but didn't actually do any missions.

The Blood Race expansion they just added is pretty cool, actually. I especially like the price for existing owners. FREE!

Shaneus

stuminus3 said:
Zombie Driver is for people who loved the original GTA but didn't actually do any missions.

The Blood Race expansion they just added is pretty cool, actually. I especially like the price for existing owners. FREE!
New expansion? Sweet!

For people who haven't taken the plunge yet, it's very reminiscent of something Apogee would put out in the old shareware heyday. Simple gameplay but bucketloads of fun.

nyong

Banned
Rollo Larson said:
they wouldnt freakin dare
Why not? If they have aspirations of becoming a major player in the digital market, what better way than to take their highest-selling franchises and essentially force people--who want to buy it digitally--to buy it through the EA Store? Or at least to take their biggest competition out of the equation.

Note that Dragon-Age II is already up for preorder on Direct2Drive, but not Steam. Need for Speed is for sale on Direct2Drive, but won't be on Steam. Makes you go hmmmm.......

Fredescu

nyong said:
Why not? If they have aspirations of becoming a major player in the digital market, what better way than to take their highest-selling franchises and essentially force people--who want to buy it digitally--to buy it through the EA Store? Or at least to take their biggest competition out of the equation.
That theory doesn't make any sense since D2D is big competition too and they have pretty much every EA game.

nyong

Banned
Fredescu said:
That theory doesn't make any sense since D2D is big competition too and they have pretty much every EA game.

Steam is 70% of the digital market. Direct2Drive is small potatoes in comparison: i.e. D2D broadens their potential market without significantly undermining self-publishing.

If EA were to successfully self-publish--ultimately steal the digital market from Valve--their profit margins would be huge. The best way of accomplishing this is to simply stop supporting Steam. Every big-budget EA title they release on Steam only solidifies Valve's hold on the digital market.

nyong said:
Steam is 70% of the digital market. Direct2Drive is small potatoes in comparison: i.e. D2D broadens their potential market without significantly undermining self-publishing.

If EA were to successfully self-publish--ultimately steal the digital market from Valve--their profit margins would be huge. The best way of accomplishing this is to simply stop supporting Steam. Every big-budget EA title they release on Steam only solidifies Valve's hold on the digital market.

Didn't EA already try this with Spore?

epmode

HadesGigas said:
Didn't EA already try this with Spore?
Yeah, EA's Steam support has been spotty at best.

It's clearly a power play of some sort and I don't like it one bit. ..But at least there are reasonable alternatives.

Fredescu

nyong said:
The best way of accomplishing this is to simply stop supporting Steam. Every big-budget EA title they release on Steam only solidifies Valve's hold on the digital market.
They didn't simply stop supporting Steam though. MoH, FIFA Manager 11, Deathspank, and Shank are all very recent releases.

graywolf323

John said:
plants vs zombies update - steam cloud! : D

great :D

too bad this comes after I had to reinstall Windows 7 (Ubuntu screwed up my boot partition...) and I somehow missed my PvZ save when backing up everything :-(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
eznark said:
they really selling it through gog?

Yup. The move is both brilliant (get more attention for GoG) and ballsy (the game is going to be pirated to high heaven and back due to the lack of DRM).

Kritz said:
Buuut I don't think I can when I still haven't finished VVVVVV or Metro 2033 or Fable III or Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption or Assassin's Creed 2... oh my god and the xmas sales are nearing where I will buy even more games I will never finish! D:
That is just the way Steam works. Just consider yourself a patron of the arts. Perhaps you will not enjoy every work but you help fund the development for the betterment of the community.

Lothars

Archie said:
Yup. The move is both brilliant (get more attention for GoG) and ballsy (the game is going to be pirated to high heaven and back due to the lack of DRM).

Yup and I will still wait for a price drop on Steam to pick it up but will not pick it up on GOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom