• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

Dice said:
Hey does anyone have Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2? Do they run similarly? I only played Dragon Age on PS3 and think it would be a lot better on PC. I played the Mass Effect 2 demo max everything & 60fps and perfect, but then Fallout 3, while smooth in gameplay, seems to be a bit "hitchy" in the visuals no matter what the settings, which The Witcher (probably running 200fps lol) also does.

I can run ME2 maxed out, and can run DAO on very high settings with only a few hiccups, on high settings it's pretty smooth.

Dice said:
Hey does anyone have Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2? Do they run similarly? I only played Dragon Age on PS3 and think it would be a lot better on PC. I played the Mass Effect 2 demo max everything & 60fps and perfect, but then Fallout 3, while smooth in gameplay, seems to be a bit "hitchy" in the visuals no matter what the settings, which The Witcher (probably running 200fps lol) also does.
Fallout 3 will have hitches no matter what. It's pretty much they way the gamebryo engine runs.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay, sweet. I'm really going to miss just killing anyone I find mildly irritating, but on the upside, everyone in Dragon Age looks a lot more natural. Real battle tactics will also be nice.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Volcynika said:
I'll make the thread again for the holiday sale when it starts :p

Though I doubt anyone will remember me saying this by the time it starts :lol

2010 Xmas Steam sale of "Hope grandma's card gets here in time!"

Twig

Banned
Zombie Driver is pretty fun. Dunno what the latest update adds, though, I'd have to reinstall it to find out.

I hope it was supporting Steam Cloud before I unlocked everything last time. Dunno if I'd have the energy to do it all again. ):

OMG Aero said:
I hope that the hint system is as useful as they say. I bought it on Wiiware over a year ago and still haven't completed it since I can't work out the hard puzzles and no-one is interested in the game enough to write a walkthrough.

You could probably email them and they'd help you out. They're pretty friendly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
Wow, how long has it been that low? Still $69 here.
It dropped from 30$ to 20$ within the last month. EA has been really good about price dropping the few games they bother to put up on the store.

Yeef

coopolon said:
Without deck building it certainly leaves out a huge part of MtG. But at least back when I played MtG, it always seemed like everyone pretty much built the same decks anyway because for that edition they had proven to be the best decks.

I certainly find some matches where I don't get enough land or my opponent doesn't and whoever has the mana wins. But most of the games I find myself thinking, would this be better or would that be better, and I still lose games sometimes that I think I could have won if I'd done something differently. But I'm by no means a great MtG player, I was one of the worst in my group of friends back in middle school, and I haven't played since so I'm probably even worse now.

It's fun for me because it really provides the streamlined experience I'm looking for and satisfies that itch quickly and competently.
I bought Duel of the Planeswalkers and the expansions last night and had tons of fun with it.

Most of the starting decks feel like they're more or less luck of the draw, but some of the later ones play better. In real MtG I generally preferred limited to constructed back when I used to play. It'd be great if there was a mode that let you doa draft just with the cards in the game and make a deck from those.

The puzzles are probably my favorite part of the game. It's basically like Dead Man's Hand from wizard magazine. You're given a game setup that has you losing on the turn and you have to figure out a way to win this turn. I played the first 8 last night (all of the ones in in the base game) and the first 7 weren't too hard, but the 8th was a bit of a stumper. It took me a good half hour or so to get it. The expansions add more puzzles. I'm hoping they're more challenging.

Toma said:
Yeah well, I need to admit that not having the possibility of creating your own decks except from choosing the preset extra cards for each deck is very limiting. But I had matches with a friend that could very well last 4 hours trying to consider every strategy and possibility. Played with the right guys you need MUCH strategy/skill. Its a bit like chess in that regard. Relatively simple after the game opening but you need lots of skill to actually win, even if you have a good deck, if you are playing against another good player.
coopolon said:
Without deck building it certainly leaves out a huge part of MtG. But at least back when I played MtG, it always seemed like everyone pretty much built the same decks anyway because for that edition they had proven to be the best decks.
I certainly find some matches where I don't get enough land or my opponent doesn't and whoever has the mana wins. But most of the games I find myself thinking, would this be better or would that be better, and I still lose games sometimes that I think I could have won if I'd done something differently. But I'm by no means a great MtG player, I was one of the worst in my group of friends back in middle school, and I haven't played since so I'm probably even worse now.
It's fun for me because it really provides the streamlined experience I'm looking for and satisfies that itch quickly and competently.
I feel like MtG, in general, is not meant to be a deeply strategic game. There is strategy in choosing between plays in the hand you're given, and in constructing decks. In my opinion, if you take out one of those things, not enough strategy is left. I won a bunch of DotP games simply by having a great starting hand.

kamspy

Despite the interesting demo, Kane and Lynch 2 is vile filth mildewed garbage water. Worse than the first game by a wide margin in every measurable department (and the first game wasn't even all that great).

Avoid at anything over $5.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Zep said:
Kane & Lynch 2 ....$20! Worth it if i wanna go through co-op with a friend?
My friend, I doubt you have reached that point. $10 games. Pick two:

Puzzle Quest 2
The Longest Journey
Any Half Life game
F.E.A.R.
Mafia
Splinter Cell: Choas Theory or Double Agent
Star Wars: KOTOR
Jedi Knight II
Alien Breed 2
Any GTA3 variant
Shatter
Max Payne 1 or 2
GRAW 1 or 2
Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 or 2
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia: SoT
Indigo Prophecy
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Toki Tori ($5)
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light ($15)

If you have all those... there are some I left out to not have an incredibly long list... then there are the $11-20 games to look through.

There is too much greatness out there to waste your time on stuff like K&L2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, random question: anyone remember what prices Orange Box and Left 4 Dead dropped to on the Thanksgiving sale lase year? (if they did drop at all)

My brother finally got a computer capable of, well, any gaming really, so its time to outfit him with his own copies of some great games. He's tired of only being able to play Half-Life, TF2, and L4D2 when I come home.

John

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, random question: anyone remember what prices Orange Box and Left 4 Dead dropped to on the Thanksgiving sale lase year? (if they did drop at all)

My brother finally got a computer capable of, well, any gaming really, so its time to outfit him with his own copies of some great games. He's tired of only being able to play Half-Life, TF2, and L4D2 when I come home.
i think l4d1 was $7.50 last year

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:

I bought Left 4 Dead for $6.80 during the Summer sale.

combinekidd said:
Zen Bound 2 now out on steam, from the screenshots it looks sweet in HD. Only £3.49 :D
Yeah, I saw that and did a double take, because I thought it was an iOS-only game. Good to see the Mac version takes advantage of multitouch trackpads.

Zep

Banned
Dice said:
My friend, I doubt you have reached that point. $10 games. Pick two:

Appreciate the list but after I finish Metro 2033 and Crysis, Im gonna take a step back from shooters. Played through a good number of them in a short span. I was looking at K&L2 because it seemed like quick co-op play-through for $20. After hearing these opinions, I'll put that money towards one of these indie adventure games, to change it up and support the small guy.

I also bought Bully for $15, having never played it on PS2.

Catshade

I also notice that you can already pre-order Dragon Age 2 from Impulse, Gamersgate, and Direct2Drive...but not on Steam. Coincidence?

Edit: Ubisoft's HAWX 2 is also absent from Steam while available everywhere else. Do big publishers silently boycott Steam or what? :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TouchMyBox said:
In other news, Hot Pursuit sells poorly on PC, EA blames piracy. Forges solution for fewer and delayed PC releases with more restrictive DRM?
They are very smart businessmen, these guys.

So it's gonna be the EA Downloader or bust? I don't get how they reached the conclusion that this would be a good idea. Especially since this NFS looks so kickass. Man..

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It boggles my mind that EA would do something so stupid. The Sims 3 still isn't available on Steam for fucks sake. I'd love to hear their rationale behind these decisions.

TheExodu5

Banned
Archie said:
It boggles my mind that EA would do something so stupid. The Sims 3 still isn't available on Steam for fucks sake. I'd love to hear their rationale behind these decisions.

Only filthy pirates like to use Steam.

Catshade

wmat said:
So it's gonna be the EA Downloader or bust? I don't get how they reached the conclusion that this would be a good idea. Especially since this NFS looks so kickass. Man..

NFS: Hot Pursuit is available on Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, and Impulse. Looks like it's a specific beef against Steam.

Edit: Their new indie-ish game, Create, is also available everywhere but Steam.

Nabs

TouchMyBox said:
In other news, Hot Pursuit sells poorly on PC, EA blames piracy. Forges solution for fewer and delayed PC releases with more restrictive DRM?
That's what I'm thinking.

Stallion Free said:
So they are just throwing away sales? Cock-blocking it from Steam isn't going to convince me to go buy it from your store EA.
They did this with Fifa as well. I was interested in both games, but oh well. I'll spend my money where it's wanted.

Catshade said:
Edit: Ubisoft's HAWX 2 is also absent from Steam while available everywhere else. Do big publishers silently boycott Steam or what? :lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48160/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But EA just put Shank and Death Spank up on Steam. Are they fucking bipolar or something? It looks like piss poor management.

Catshade said:
Ubisoft's HAWX 2 is also absent from Steam while available everywhere else. Do big publishers silently boycott Steam or what? :lol
It's on the coming soon list, I thought it was delayed?

Nickiepoo

Yeef said:
The expansions add more puzzles. I'm hoping they're more challenging.

They're harder than the original 7 but still not all that tricky. This is coming from a complete magic noob (used DotP as a trainer, basically).

Nabs

BobsRevenge said:
West coast is still sleeping?
i'm checking the steam forum and they all seem confused. it's been on sale for a few days on other sites (i think), and doesn't have a hard release date on steam.

edit: seems like impulse had it on the 11th, direct2drive as well

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
But EA just put Shank and Death Spank up on Steam. Are they fucking bipolar or something? It looks like piss poor management.
I don't understand why a big profile game like Bad Company 2 gets released and has nice discounts, yet, Need for Speed (and other EA games) don't get released on Steam.

I wonder if it has something to do with which other games are available on the service - the only real direct competition to Bad Company 2 on Steam is Call of Duty, and that never gets a discount. Need for Speed has a shitload of good racing games to go up against. And cheap ones too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't really understand why EA would partner up with Valve to publish their games, but refuse to sell games on Steam. Seems pretty childish to me.

Amneisac

I'd like to think Steam rejected Need for Speed Hot Pursuit because they didn't want their beloved Steam users getting spammed with all the fEAcebook bullshit EA has going in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom